Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/6/2012 3:46:21 PM   
Vadersville

Gah! I really want that but I cancelled my subscription because the service was crap and I haven't seen that in any of the shops. Not even Forbidden Planet...

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1561
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/6/2012 3:55:39 PM   
directorscut

Does anyone know any similar anthologies for 50s scif-fi comics? I couldn't find any.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1562
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/6/2012 6:15:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Gah! I really want that but I cancelled my subscription because the service was crap and I haven't seen that in any of the shops. Not even Forbidden Planet...

Its out today, pop into any newsagents nearby where they do comics aswell, you might just nick a copy. They go like hot cakes, I had to go real early in the morning to nab my copy!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 1563
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/6/2012 6:25:10 PM   
Vadersville

Overall I really enjoyed this. Winick takes over writing duties for what is essentially a one shot in the series that I long since given up on. Like the other Night of Owls tie-ins this focuses on a particular Talon. Unlike the others, this one is quite interesting. The Talon in question is the one who killed Lincoln March. One of the small complaints with Batman #9 was that it was very easy for March to kill the Talon who had mortally wounded him. Here we jump straight into the events just before Batman bursts through the door and we see Lincoln put up a fair bit of a fight. Also the scene in Batman #9 is actually expanded on and the Talon regenerates and attacks Batman again. A few minor complaints: Batman is seen to have encountered and fought a Talon before, albeit it briefly, so why didn't he recognise the armour in the Batman arc? Also, whilst Red Robin is seen battling the Talon on the front cover that never happens. In fact he isn't even in it, he just turns up for one panel right at the very end. The ending is also a bit of a loose thread which might have been intriguing except I suspect it's the set-up for this dodgy new Talon comic that's going to be starting and sounds suspiciously like a complete rip of Azarel.

Post #: 1564
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 14/6/2012 12:20:48 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Woohoo! just had these delivered today!

Post #: 1565
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 15/6/2012 11:58:23 AM   
indysgill

I found the last two brilliant, if you are collecting in order you have Barracuda next. That is something else.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

Post #: 1566
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 15/6/2012 8:49:23 PM   
furrybastard

The Slavers is my favourite PunisherMAX arc. Arguably the best thing Ennis has ever written. An incredibly bleak and tough comic.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 1567
RE: Batman #10 - 20/6/2012 8:19:41 PM   
Vadersville

Wow. Just wow.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1568
RE: Batman #10 - 20/6/2012 9:37:47 PM   
furrybastard

******** SPOILERS FOR BATMAN #10 *****

What did you think about #10, Vadersville? Not sure how I feel about that 'twist' (Snyder gave himself enough room to backtrack on it to a certain extent) and Morrison recently pulled something similar in Batman & Robin with Thomas Wayne. Be interesting to see where it goes.

The annual was good too.

Post #: 1569
RE: Batman #10 - 21/6/2012 12:37:39 PM   
Vadersville

****MASSIVE FUCK OFF SPOILERS FOT BATMAN #10!****

I actually kinda liked it. At first I goraned when it become clear March was the big bad. Too much like Hush. But the fact that he actually did die and has come back via the undead zombie/Talon route was pretty neat. Then the final revelation about him being Bruce's brother. Wow! i'm still trying to decide how I feel to be honest. The whole "Morrison did the same thing with Dr.Hurt" doesn't bother me as that got far too silly (he was actually an ancestor of Wayne's (that just so happened to look identical to Bruce's father) and got possessed by the hyper-adapter thingy and for a time was Thomas Wayne's body double before trying to kill Batman under the pretense that he was his father having faked his own death. Riiiiight.) and this is different enough to stand up on its own. I know Snyder did the whole long lost evil relative with The Black Mirror but I haven't yet read that so I can't comment. It does shed new light on all the complaints (a fair few from me) about how Lincoln looked too similar to Bruce Wayne. I kinda feel like a fool now for not having guessed it! Do I have issue with the idea of Bruce having a brother which his parents sent to a mental institute (granted, Lincoln himself admits it was cosidered the best hospital of its kind at the time)? Yes I do. But then I have to admire Snyder for having the balls to pull something like this. Its the first real daring move with Batman in the new DCnU and the fact that its making me so torn and conflicted alone means he has achieved something. To be honest I have more problems with the retcon of Freeze's origin in the annual and the new Pennyworth in Bruce's past in the back-up stories. But then this is a new universe. The waynes from the old DCu might have never given up their son to a mental asylum no matter how special it was, and they certainly would never have kept the second child a secret from Bruce but perhaps the Waynes from the new DCu would... As you've said he's left himself enough room to retreat out of this as just the ramblings of a madman fed lies for years but personally I hope they leave it ambigious and mostly unanswered...

Post #: 1570
RE: Batman #10 - 21/6/2012 7:26:17 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

I actually kinda liked it. At first I goraned when it become clear March was the big bad. Too much like Hush. But the fact that he actually did die and has come back via the undead zombie/Talon route was pretty neat. Then the final revelation about him being Bruce's brother. Wow! i'm still trying to decide how I feel to be honest. The whole "Morrison did the same thing with Dr.Hurt" doesn't bother me as that got far too silly (he was actually an ancestor of Wayne's (that just so happened to look identical to Bruce's father) and got possessed by the hyper-adapter thingy and for a time was Thomas Wayne's body double before trying to kill Batman under the pretense that he was his father having faked his own death. Riiiiight.) and this is different enough to stand up on its own. I know Snyder did the whole long lost evil relative with The Black Mirror but I haven't yet read that so I can't comment. It does shed new light on all the complaints (a fair few from me) about how Lincoln looked too similar to Bruce Wayne. I kinda feel like a fool now for not having guessed it! Do I have issue with the idea of Bruce having a brother which his parents sent to a mental institute (granted, Lincoln himself admits it was cosidered the best hospital of its kind at the time)? Yes I do. But then I have to admire Snyder for having the balls to pull something like this. Its the first real daring move with Batman in the new DCnU and the fact that its making me so torn and conflicted alone means he has achieved something. To be honest I have more problems with the retcon of Freeze's origin in the annual and the new Pennyworth in Bruce's past in the back-up stories. But then this is a new universe. The waynes from the old DCu might have never given up their son to a mental asylum no matter how special it was, and they certainly would never have kept the second child a secret from Bruce but perhaps the Waynes from the new DCu would... As you've said he's left himself enough room to retreat out of this as just the ramblings of a madman fed lies for years but personally I hope they leave it ambigious and mostly unanswered...

Yeah leaving it hang for a little while would be a good idea but then some other writer will probably come along and mess it up! The back-up strip is what kind of confirms the twist - and I'm surprised I didn't pick up on the similarity to The Black Mirror (which is fantastic) - and I do feel Alfred and his family are one of the great unexplored aspects of Batman.

The annual was cool but I'm not much of a fan of Freeze's new origin. I sort of preferred the original origin as it gave the character a bit more depth. I suppose this new one does allow Mr. Freeze to be a bit crazier and unpredictable though.

Post #: 1571
RE: Batman #10 - 21/6/2012 10:35:20 PM   
juanvasquez

Started great, and just got better. Can't wait to read next months. I too feel a little conflicted as whether to accept that revelation...

I don't know if I'm just being impatient, but I can't help but feel that this is becoming more filler than thriller. The last couple of issues have been a little less exciting than what's been a superb story so far, but it feels like this is running out of steam, losing its sense of urgency that the earlier issues had.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 1572
RE: Batman #10 - 23/6/2012 2:06:57 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

Yeah leaving it hang for a little while would be a good idea but then some other writer will probably come along and mess it up! The back-up strip is what kind of confirms the twist - and I'm surprised I didn't pick up on the similarity to The Black Mirror (which is fantastic) - and I do feel Alfred and his family are one of the great unexplored aspects of Batman.

The annual was cool but I'm not much of a fan of Freeze's new origin. I sort of preferred the original origin as it gave the character a bit more depth. I suppose this new one does allow Mr. Freeze to be a bit crazier and unpredictable though.

Agreed. I really like the story and the twist on his origin as a Elseworlds tale but as a permanent retcon i think it will make the character suffer in the long run. To be honest, I've not been overjoyed with the handling of any of Bats' old enemies in the new DCnU.

Post #: 1573
RE: Batman #10 - 26/6/2012 7:31:31 AM   
furrybastard

Picked up some great second-hand stuff today...

Wolverine by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller (Old Edition)

Boba Fett: Death, Lies & Treachery by John Wagner and Cam Kennedy - bought mainly for the 2000AD alumni. Heard an interview last week with Cam Kennedy that covered the genesis of this comic in pretty funny detail

Faker by Mike Carey and Jock - hadn't heard much about this but really like the creative team

How To Understand Israel in 60 Days or Less by Sarah Glidden - picked up the first chapter of this years ago at San Diego Comic-Con and always wanted to read the finished comic!

Batman: Collected Legends of the Dark Knight - following on from some of the brilliant free comics sent by our very own Sharkboy, these are three LotDK stories I haven't read

Jinx by Brian Michael Bendis - not a huge fan of Bendis' writing but a lot of his early noir/crime work is more palatable to me

Superman: Man of Steel Vol. 2 by John Byrne, Marv Wolfman & Jerry Ordway - really enjoyed the first volume so decided to keep going!

The Best American Comics 2009 edited by Charles Burns - an assortment of short comics/samples of a lot of great comic creators like Chris Ware, Daniel Clowes, Adrian Tomine etc. These types of collections are always a great read and a great way of finding new comics and creators worth keeping an eye out for!

Post #: 1574
RE: Batman #10 - 26/6/2012 7:53:41 AM   
Lazarus munkey

Probably this one. It's been a while...

"Because I got the answers"

Last 5 seen
Chronicle 4/5
The Amazing Spider-Man 3/5
Young Adult 4/5
21 Jump Street 4/5
The Apartment 5/5

Post #: 1575
RE: Batman #10 - 27/6/2012 5:04:19 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just had this delivered today!

THE PUNISHER: WELCOME BACK, FRANK ( complete collection #1-12)

(in reply to Lazarus munkey)
Post #: 1576
RE: Batman #10 - 28/6/2012 1:37:59 AM   
furrybastard

iZombie Vol. 1 by Chris Roberson and Mike Allred

Batman and the Mad Monk by Matt Wagner

Post #: 1577
RE: Batman #10 - 2/7/2012 12:11:36 PM   
Harry Tuttle

3.99 each at a Bargain Book Store on my travels over the weekend. I wish I'd had more cash on me because the choice was overwhelming, although limited to Marvel.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 2/7/2012 12:13:19 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 1578
RE: Batman #10 - 2/7/2012 8:07:55 PM   
Nexus Wookie

3.99 each? Thats a bloody bargain! Its been years since i've been to a bargain bookshop myself; they're becoming something of a rarity nowadays, with online shopping and all.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1579
RE: Batman #10 - 2/7/2012 8:12:21 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Oh just remembered, I've ordered Antares Episode 1 and 2 aswell as Aldebaran Vol 3 (the only one missing from my collection and the one book which started my love for this series).

Also, The Punisher Warzone: The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. It's the sequel to Welcome back, Frank which I loved! All book's from The Book Depository.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 2/7/2012 8:15:00 PM >

Post #: 1580
RE: Batman #10 - 5/7/2012 3:02:51 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Had the above delivered, along with Aldebaran Volume 3. Can't wait to tuck into some sci-fi story-telling!

Post #: 1581
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 6/7/2012 5:52:39 PM   
Chojin

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1582
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 9/7/2012 1:39:32 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just had this delivered: The Punisher War Zone: The Resurrection of Ma Gnucci (#1-6), its the sequel to Welcome back, Frank and I can't wait to get stuck in!

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1583
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/7/2012 12:18:40 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Post #: 1584
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/7/2012 10:43:10 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Excellent stuff!

Post #: 1585
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 11/7/2012 12:20:20 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Thanks furry! I grew up reading it in Manga Mania magazine, but I missed the first few chapter's. So this will be the first time i'll be reading it from start to hopefully finish! There's 6 massive volumes altogether, and even this first volume should keep me occupied for some time (368 pages!l my plan is to buy one volume each month until I have the whole set - and it's going for a good bargain price at The Book Depository.

Cannot wait to (re)visit Neo Tokyo!

Post #: 1586
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 12/7/2012 12:17:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Had this MASSIVE volume delivered today - to say that I am thrilled is an understatement!

Post #: 1587
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 12/7/2012 6:34:40 PM   
Chojin

3.50 for both on ebay including p+p (cheaper than the prices in 1996/7!). I remember reading my mates copies of this and really enjoying the second issue. The first issue is more of a setup but the second is pure action.....hopefully it has aged well

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

Post #: 1588
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 12/7/2012 9:43:03 PM   
bub

Just read issue 100 of The Walking Dead... brutal.

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 1589
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 12/7/2012 11:54:40 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: bub

Just read issue 100 of The Walking Dead... brutal.

I liked it... but I really wish Kirkman had given us a bit more ambition. This is being touted as perhaps the best selling comic of 2012 and I think Kirkman, while giving us a decent issue, could have used this opportunity to really sell the series a bit better. While some of the events were executed well, particularly the obvious one, it kind of felt like more of the same really.

(in reply to bub)
Post #: 1590
Page:   <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? Page: <<   < prev  51 52 [53] 54 55   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI