Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Last Comic Book You Bought?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 10/5/2012 2:00:13 PM   
juanvasquez

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 1501
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 11/5/2012 1:20:45 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

To all those waiting for delivery of the last comic batches, I have a confession and an apology to make.

I had planned to get these posted before I moved house last weekend. Unfortunately one thing led to another and I wasn't able to get to a post office. So they were boxed up and brought to the new home, where they have since remained boxed up in amongst other similarly boxed up items. Now liberated from their cardboard prison, they'll be in the mail ASAP (hopefully tomorrow if I get time before my flight, otherwise Tuesday).

To those waiting patiently on the next installments of their tales, sorry for the delay

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1502
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 11/5/2012 1:50:29 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

To all those waiting for delivery of the last comic batches, I have a confession and an apology to make. 

I had planned to get these posted before I moved house last weekend.  Unfortunately one thing led to another and I wasn't able to get to a post office.  So they were boxed up and brought to the new home, where they have since remained boxed up in amongst other similarly boxed up items.  Now liberated from their cardboard prison, they'll be in the mail ASAP (hopefully tomorrow if I get time before my flight, otherwise Tuesday).

To those waiting patiently on the next installments of their tales, sorry for the delay 

I know, I know - I'm bad with deadlines!  What with a drunken bank holiday weekend in Liverpool and a couple of crazy days in work, I just didn't get around to a visit to the post office.  I've been ordered by her indoors to get these posted this weekend as there's now a big pile of envelopes sitting in my living room

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 1503
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 11/5/2012 1:54:19 PM   
Harry Tuttle

I've got no room to talk. The Hitman comics 1-10 I promised The Geest he could borrow off me have been in an envelope on my desk waiting to be sent off for about a fortnight.

Geest, if you'r reading this I'll be sending them tomorrow, definitely. Failing that, Monday .

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1504
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 11/5/2012 7:51:22 PM   
benmharper

After reading (and loving) Captain America Winter Soldier, I've ordered Red Menace and all 3 volumes of The Death of Captain America

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 1505
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 12/5/2012 4:14:28 PM   
sharkboy

Right, all the remaining batches have now been posted. Enjoy people!

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 12/5/2012 4:16:00 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 1506
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 13/5/2012 8:40:31 PM   
Vadersville

Don't normally read these but picked them up for the Night of Owls tie-in. Batgirl is just balls. The plot makes no sense, the action is incoherent and it feels like part of something completely different than the rest of The Night of Owls. The biggest problem is that Gordon was named as one of The Talon's targets in Batman but here the Talon just stands on top of rooftops and doesn't do very much. Gordon meanwhile is somehow tricked into switching on the bat signal which has been changed to an Owl signal. Why couldn't they do it themselves? I've noted before that I think the Talons have been set-up as undead so the Bat family's no-kill rule doesn't have to apply but here Barbara doesn't know that. Its out of character and a bit jarring when after getting punched twice she suddenly decides to throw the Talon off a rooftop because she feels she has no choice but to kill The Talon to save her father. This is odd because Barbara doesn't actually know the Talon is targeting Gordon and it seems she isn't anyway as a member of the Court is busy tricking him into lighting the Owl signal, which he can't do if he's dead. So what is the Talon in Batgirl doing? I don't know! It's also getting incredibly tedious now that every Talon has a boring backstory to tell which somehow links them to the character they're fighting. It wasn't so bad in Nightwing as the link was set-up before in Batman and feels part of the overall arc. But in Batgirl and Batman and Robin it's jarring, pointless and stops the pace dead.

I actually quite enjoyed Batman and Robin (technically just Robin). It wasn't until this issue that I realised that there isn't a Robin stand alone title, which is a shame because Damian is a great character. So with bats held up battling a swarm of Talons in Wayne Manor, Robin takes top billing here. I haven't been reading this title so i could be wrong but it looks like this issue starts off with Robin investigating the tunnel that Batman was when he was abducted by the Court of Owls. Then after getting the distress call from Alfred, Robin is tasked with saving a general in charge of a military guard. Of course its a bit silly that a 10 year old boy is ordering around a squad of soldiers but this is a comic and Damian shows what a great tactician is. The Talon here is also a lot more brutal and more of an opposing force than the one in Batgirl. Once again we're faced with an unnecessary backstory to the talon which explains why he "Requested this assignment". WTF?! But then the action kicks back in and Robin dispatches the Talon in the coolest way. So again, not perfect but the best NoO tie-in so far.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1507
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 14/5/2012 3:26:40 PM   
directorscut

Why is Batgirl fighting Ryu Hayabusa?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1508
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 15/5/2012 5:49:45 PM   
Vadersville

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 1509
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 16/5/2012 2:12:57 PM   
Dark Knight

PM for you Sharkboy.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

Post #: 1510
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 16/5/2012 2:38:27 PM   
sharkboy

And back at'cha!

WWLD?

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 1511
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/5/2012 9:35:58 AM   
Vadersville

Got my last bundle of comics! Thanks, Sharkboy!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1512
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/5/2012 10:01:09 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Got my last bundle of comics! Thanks, Sharkboy!

Yeah same here thanks .

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1513
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/5/2012 11:59:56 AM   
Sleazy

Go tmine too, cheers Sharky!

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

Post #: 1514
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/5/2012 8:41:02 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

Right, all the remaining batches have now been posted. Enjoy people!

Mine arrived yesterday, Thanks for that! Just need to read them now

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 1515
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 17/5/2012 8:53:21 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Got this today.

Received my comics from Sharkboy, too.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

Post #: 1516
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 18/5/2012 1:45:31 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just had this delivered this morning!

I read it a while ago, and loved it so much that I bought a copy from The Book Depository for a bargain/offer!

Its a really handsome package, hardback with a very sleek sleeve. This Premiere Hardback edition includes a lot of extra's not seen in the TPB. I cannot wait to get stuck in again!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 1517
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 20/5/2012 12:32:52 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I've ordered Aldebaran Vol 1 and 2 along with Betelgeuse Vol.1 from Amazon. I read the 3rd volume not too long ago and fell in love with the amazing, worlds/creation of writer and Illustrator Leo. A sci-fi epic with heart. The flora and fauna of his worlds are simply astonishing - a cross between Tatooine/Dune and Mobeius.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1518
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 20/5/2012 9:53:18 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I've ordered Aldebaran Vol 1 and 2 along with Betelgeuse Vol.1 from Amazon. I read the 3rd volume not too long ago and fell in love with the amazing, worlds/creation of writer and Illustrator Leo. A sci-fi epic with heart. The flora and fauna of his worlds are simply astonishing - a cross between Tatooine/Dune and Mobeius.

I think I read some of those, not sure which ones though. Enjoyable stuff.

I'd highly recommend this series as well: Orbital (CLICK). There's four books in the series, not sure if they're doing anymore but they're well worth a read!

Post #: 1519
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 20/5/2012 11:26:27 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

quote:

I think I read some of those, not sure which ones though. Enjoyable stuff.

I'd highly recommend this series as well: Orbital (CLICK). There's four books in the series, not sure if they're doing anymore but they're well worth a read!

Cheers mate! I'm always looking out for good sci-fi comics, I love the vivid worlds and stories and basically anything special the writers mind might conjure up! I think Otomo's Akira and other Manga sci-fi comics started my love of the genre (in comics).

I'll check Orbital out and maybe add it to my future shopping list!

EDIT: I just checked it out and i'll be honest it look's freakin' awesome! I think I might order all 4 volumes together very soon! Artwork is brilliant - a cross between Moebius and Masamune Shirow!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 20/5/2012 11:40:25 PM >

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 1520
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 21/5/2012 1:18:00 AM   
furrybastard

Yeah I really liked the artwork as well. It's a cool idea, reminded me a bit of Ursula Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness sci-fi novel.

I'd love to get some Moebius stuff but all the English translations appear to have gone out of print. I'm sure someone somewhere is working on publishing new editions (Dark Horse?!)

I don't read much manga but I really liked Urusawa's Pluto (a sort of semi-sequel to Tezuka's Astro Boy series!) and Akira really is brilliant. Been meaning to check out more manga actually but there's always so bloody many volumes to get!

Post #: 1521
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 21/5/2012 12:45:02 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: furrybastard

Yeah I really liked the artwork as well. It's a cool idea, reminded me a bit of Ursula Le Guin's The Left Hand of Darkness sci-fi novel.

I'd love to get some Moebius stuff but all the English translations appear to have gone out of print. I'm sure someone somewhere is working on publishing new editions (Dark Horse?!)

I don't read much manga but I really liked Urusawa's Pluto (a sort of semi-sequel to Tezuka's Astro Boy series!) and Akira really is brilliant. Been meaning to check out more manga actually but there's always so bloody many volumes to get!

I agree! Also, it is very hard to get hold of Moebius' work- it would be a dream if Dark Horse would take the reigns and get some of his work published! They really are brilliant when it comes to publishing what you may call more lesser known works. I've just discovered Usagi Yojimbo too, very cool stuff!

As for Orbital, i've ordered Vol 1 and 2 last night. As soon as I saw the artwork and some reviews (very positive) I couldnt resist! Not to mention a huge thanks to yourself! I cannot wait to have it delivered!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 21/5/2012 12:48:37 PM >

Post #: 1522
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 21/5/2012 6:00:49 PM   
Zaphod121

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

Post #: 1523
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 23/5/2012 9:46:10 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Just ordered

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1524
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 23/5/2012 3:48:49 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Just has the above delivered this morning! Cannot wait to get stuck in!

Post #: 1525
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 24/5/2012 2:34:56 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Had the above comics delivered today;

Orbital 1: Scars
Orbital 2: Ruptures

The artwork is just gorgeous to look at - only thing left now is to read! And I cant wait to get stuck in!

Post #: 1526
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 24/5/2012 11:38:55 PM   
furrybastard

quote:

Had the above comics delivered today;

Orbital 1: Scars
Orbital 2: Ruptures

The artwork is just gorgeous to look at - only thing left now is to read! And I cant wait to get stuck in!

I like how in France/European comics they put the artists name first on the bill. Always made more sense to me.

Post #: 1527
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 24/5/2012 11:46:44 PM   
Nexus Wookie

It does doesn't it? Looking at the cover of Orbital above for instance, the first thing that caught my attention was the awesome freakin' artwork! They (the artists) do all the hardwork at the end of the day so I think they should get more credit!

Post #: 1528
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 25/5/2012 1:04:43 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Just ordered

This arrived today. It's fucking huge, like an old school 1980's Yellow Pages.

It's going to take some reading. Unfortunately the paper quality is awful (like an old school 1980's Yellow Pages) but at 12.99 it's a steal. I'd probably be more annoyed at the paper quality if I'd paid the full RRP of 22.99 but I didn't so a bargain it remains.

It seems that the issue breakdown for Vol 2 on Wikipedia has changed as well, SOTB 21,22 and 23 no longer seem to be included.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 25/5/2012 2:09:47 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Post #: 1529
RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? - 25/5/2012 2:03:25 PM   
directorscut

Inspired by The New Frontier:

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 1530
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack >> RE: Last Comic Book You Bought? Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI