Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Theatre Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Theatre Thread - 16/4/2012 10:41:28 PM   
elab49

I hope you get the option - the first time the 2nd 'half' screened was a sellout in Glasgow (and probably elsewhere).

My next NT Live will be Timon of Athens - 3rd NT Live with Simon Russell Beale after London Assurance and the brilliant Collaborators. I'd really love some of these to finally make it to DVD.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 151
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/11/2012 6:36:50 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I hope you get the option - the first time the 2nd 'half' screened was a sellout in Glasgow (and probably elsewhere).

My next NT Live will be Timon of Athens - 3rd NT Live with Simon Russell Beale after London Assurance and the brilliant Collaborators. I'd really love some of these to finally make it to DVD.

Dear elab, I come in peace.

And it's only to say that I saw Timon on Thursday night in Belfast. My first NTL live, I had to type it into google to find there was a post-steam for it here on Empire....and wouldn't you know my arch-nemesis is the one talking about Timon .

You're not, I love you really, and always have.

Yeah, apart from the coughing bastards in our audience (the Stoppard line from Shakespeare in Love: "Once again the consumptives come out to ruin Shakespeare") I thought the play itself was absolutely beezer. I'm now a massive fan of Simon Russell Beale. When we fought elab - you might have spotted my Widmerpool avatar - and I clearly remember elab, in a Doctor Who thread back in the day, you and impqueen were talking about SRB, and I had to ask who this Beale person was. Now I know him as the Beale-ster, the Simon Russell Beagle, the Ian Beale, the John Beale, the Beale-ionnairre! The first time I saw him was in Terrence Davies "The Deep Blue Sea" then by accident "A Dance to the Music of Time"... if I was listing then Dance to the Music of Time would be the best thing I've seen in 2012...and then of course his Falstaff in The Hollow Crown.

But yes, Nicholas Hytner in the interval says the [next half of the play] was the most bizarre thing Shakespeare ever wrote. It was! In the joyously full-blown cynicism of a character seeing the worst in everything. The second half was pure unadulterated misanthropy. Here Nature is a folding-unto-itself-self-supporting-factory of parasites. The Sun robs off the Stars. The Moon robs off the Sun. The Oceans rob off the Moon. The Earth gives harbour to the Oceans. The Earth steals EXCREMENT from it's tenants to live... and grow... and exploit. In Hamlet the moody fucking teenager makes similar reference to the heavens as a collection of vile, untempered vapours. But Hamlet is inflected with doubt and self-debate and a ceratin beauty comes out of that. Here, there's no introspection, no fucking debate! In Timon's eyes; everything is corrupt. There is nothing "natural". Everything that has life; is to be conceived; to be culled, by something bigger and more ignorant than the thing it just ate. And unlike any other Shakespearean protagonist, there is no dialectic...that is to say, there is no doubt...no discussion. This guy is unrepentant. There's no such thing as a mad man's rant in Shakespeare. What we think of as a rant has been scientifically proven as "wisdom at sprint". With Timon, we get destitute wisdom on crack!

But yeah, the Beale-ster made beautiful loquacious speed out of speeches of self-pity and existential fucking aggression,

Case in point; his speech to the thieves who come to rob him (.....I'm paraphrasing the fuck out of this by the way...to give it meaning and shit)

"Go and rob your fellow man. I say he must be your fellow because all men are thieves. And therefore rob all men you see. Rob the next man you see on the thoroughfare, rob him before he robs you, And if he is not a robber, but an innocent, perhaps a beggar, then he he is an innocent, begging to be robbed. Better still. Cut the throat of the next man you see. Rob him of his life, for all life is thievery. Cut the throat of the next man you see, and the next, and the next, and the next one after that. Don't stop until you get to Athens. Don't stop even then. The men, the women, the children, the babes.......Better still... why wait until you get to Athens? Why not be proper thieves and fall out, and rob, and murder each other now?"

Anyway...that was my reductive, paraphrased summation of Timon of Athens.

Now you ain't fucking seen me, Simon Russell Beale, until you've fucking seen me, right? You get me? Cunt!"

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 3/11/2012 7:07:18 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 152
RE: The Theatre Thread - 21/1/2013 12:14:38 PM   
Harry Tuttle

Going to see The 39 Steps in the Manchester Opera House in March. It's the first time I will have been to the theatre as an adult and as the reviews for it have been very positive I'm really looking forward to it.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 153
RE: The Theatre Thread - 21/1/2013 2:09:07 PM   
elab49

I had to give up tickets last time it was Glasgow and the person who took them said it was brilliant. Thankfully the tour's coming back here again so we'll get a chance to go this time.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 154
RE: The Theatre Thread - 22/1/2013 11:57:40 AM   
Rebenectomy

Just got tickets to see this at the Grand Opera House in Belfast in March, for me and my niece.

I'd have preferred to have gone to the Scottish Ballet's production of The Nutcracker at the end of the month as I'm thinking it would have been more accessible for a six year old, but left it too late to get decent seats, so I'm hoping this will keep her entertained enough. Certainly the costume design looks amazing and even if the music is a little on the intense side, the fairy tale theme should help dilute it.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 155
RE: The Theatre Thread - 22/1/2013 2:46:53 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Just got tickets to see this at the Grand Opera House in Belfast in March, for me and my niece.

I'd have preferred to have gone to the Scottish Ballet's production of The Nutcracker at the end of the month as I'm thinking it would have been more accessible for a six year old, but left it too late to get decent seats, so I'm hoping this will keep her entertained enough. Certainly the costume design looks amazing and even if the music is a little on the intense side, the fairy tale theme should help dilute it.

Jealous.Would love to see this.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 156
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 1:05:57 PM   
Rinc

Saw Roger Allam in The Tempest at The Globe on Saturday.

I already know how jealous elab is but how jealous must you be rawls?!

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 157
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 1:12:50 PM   
elab49

*Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr*

I knew it. As soon as I saw your name, I knew it!

Anyhoo - we're actually seeing The Audience this week via NT Live. Bit of a busy streaming period for theatre - we saw This House last month, Bennett's People in March and next month they're streaming Branagh's MacBeth from the Manchester International Festival. I've got our tickets for Adrian Lester'/Rafe Spall's Othello and the Donmar's Coriolanus with Tom Hiddleston.

quote:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 158
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 5:20:31 PM   
jonson

We went to see The Woman in Black at Curve theatre in Leicester a couple of weeks ago.
Really, really good. I've not seen the film, but the stage show, with just 2 actors playing out all the roles, was wonderful. A really clever way of telling a story, but keeping you on the edge of your seat.

Edited for spoilers

< Message edited by jonson -- 10/6/2013 5:25:41 PM >

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 159
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 5:24:03 PM   
elab49

I think that's a wee bit of a spoiiler - it's a bit like Mousetrap in that way. But the stage show has a really big fanbase because of how well it's done. Including from the person on here who insists the film was directed by 'a bunch of wankers' - ie standard current US jump scares and missing the point.

If you ever get it, the 1980s film isn't bad though.

quote:

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 160
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 5:25:59 PM   
jonson

Good call. Spoiler removed!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 161
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 7:26:19 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Saw Roger Allam in The Tempest at The Globe on Saturday.

I already know how jealous elab is but how jealous must you be rawls?!

You know it's even more cruel when you post on another thread to direct me to this?

quote:

Including from the person on here who insists the film was directed by 'a bunch of wankers'

Whoever that person is, they're absolutely correct.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 162
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 7:30:23 PM   
elab49

He's been trolling me on Twitter too.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 163
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 7:33:04 PM   
elab49

By trolling me I mean telling me.

Which is trolling. No matter if his feet hurt.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 164
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 7:56:07 PM   
Rinc

I got within a few feet of Allam's magnificent beard.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 165
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 8:09:39 PM   
elab49

*checks to see if Mods can be banned*

quote:

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 166
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/6/2013 9:29:43 PM   
Invader_Ace

We went to see Sherlock Holmes: Best Kept Secret at The Playhouse last week. It has had mixed reviews, I can see why, but I still enjoyed it.

Particularly like Watson, all "Good god man!" and Mycroft who was played as rainman version of Holmes, it was a really cool way to see what holmes would be if not humanised.

Loads of set changes, I read somewhere it's over 30, but it was all pretty seemless, and added to the whole thing wth the drawing room swinging round to reveal a prison cell and so on.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 167
RE: The Theatre Thread - 21/6/2013 3:51:13 PM   
Samuelpoet

Went to see "Noises Off" in Cardiff last week. It was great fun, and had the best choreographed physical theatre I have ever seen. Very funny, Drop the Dead Donkeys Neil Pearson was a hoot!

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 168
RE: The Theatre Thread - 21/6/2013 4:13:57 PM   
elab49

I'm hoping to see this version - Noises Off is my favourite stage farce.

quote:

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 169
RE: The Theatre Thread - 21/6/2013 4:21:57 PM   
MOTH

went to theatah yesterday for first time in ages - production of The Mousetrap on it's 60th anniversary tour in Derry.
Twas very good.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 170
RE: The Theatre Thread - 21/6/2013 4:41:16 PM   
vad3r

Has anyone seen Book of Mormon? Is it any good? It's made by the South Park/Team America guys.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 21/6/2013 4:45:15 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 171
RE: The Theatre Thread - 21/6/2013 4:58:05 PM   
Samuelpoet

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I'm hoping to see this version - Noises Off is my favourite stage farce.

You'll enjoy it if you do, very cleverly directed!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 172
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/9/2013 3:49:54 PM   
jonson

Just booked tickets to see 12 Angry Men in London. Robert Vaughan, Nick Moran, Jeff Fahey and Martin Shaw (as Juror No. 8) so a very good line-up (at The Garrick theatre if anyone is interested)
This is the first serious show I've took the girls to, so I'm hoping now they are old enough they will understand the story (not that it's difficult) and not get bored without flying dragons and cuddly elephants

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 173
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/9/2013 4:21:02 PM   
elab49

It's the NT Live broadcast of Othello on Thursday - very much looking forward to that.

Still trying to decide if we're going to any of the reruns - I would like to see Frankenstein and Habit of Art again, and I don't see NT Live going to DVD anytime soon given how much they must be getting from these transmissions now.

quote:

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 174
RE: The Theatre Thread - 9/12/2013 4:34:55 PM   
King of Kafiristan

Hullo!

In October of 2013 I traveled to New York City USA in order to view BETRAYAL, the new Daniel Craig / Rachel Weisz play on Broadway. Previously I'd seen Mr. Craig and Mr. Hugh Jackman in A STEADY RAIN back in 2009.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 175
RE: The Theatre Thread - 9/12/2013 8:26:19 PM   
Mister Coe

Saw WAR HORSE at The Lowry, Salford Quays a couple of weeks back... utterly fantastic. It's back next Summer, if any of you lot are in the Manchester / Salford, pay ANYTHING for a ticket. You won't regret it.

And then, a couple of nights ago, I watched the film on Netflix... hmmm, a few good scenes but deffo in the bottom-five Spielberg films ever...

Say what now?

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 176
RE: The Theatre Thread - 9/12/2013 8:48:44 PM   
elab49

It's on NTLive next year too

quote:

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 177
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/12/2013 8:20:09 AM   
jonson

quote:

Saw WAR HORSE at The Lowry, Salford Quays a couple of weeks back... utterly fantastic. It's back next Summer, if any of you lot are in the Manchester / Salford, pay ANYTHING for a ticket. You won't regret it.

That's a recommendation then
I think Warhorse is on next year's list. I've not seen the film (I'm not that bothered) but I've heard some fantastic reviews of the stage show

Glad I got my 12 Angry Men tickets early. It's been having some great reviews. I'm very excited already, it's my Christmas highlight every year going to see a show in London.
The day after Boxing Day this year, so being dragged around 100 shops for 5 hours by the kids and subsequently bled dry will be rewarded with a few beverages and then a play. Followed by more beverages.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 178
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/12/2013 8:57:46 AM   
elab49

Have you considered given them 50p each and just going straight to the pub?

quote:

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 179
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/12/2013 2:32:11 PM   
Indio

Been to see Once, The Cripple Of Inishmaan and The Commitments at the theatre this year (not sure why everything I've seen has had an Irish theme ) I'm going to see Rhys Ifans in Protest Song at the Shed during the break between Christmas and New Years, it's a one man play so I'm not expecting a theatrical spectacular (try saying that repeatedly after a few too many Christmas beverages).

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI