Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Theatre Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Theatre Thread - 7/1/2010 1:04:07 PM   
kathryn2

Resurrecting this thread to recommend Legally Blonde - saw it last night (I did the £10 ticket lottery, and got F8 int eh stalls, which was a fab view) and had a great time.

It's a very silly affair, of course, like the film, but very funny.

Elab, have you made it to Habit of Art? I'm considering day ticketing it (and the Pitman Painters) at some point.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 121
RE: The Theatre Thread - 4/2/2010 4:01:36 PM   
pedros

I went to see Jerusalem the other night in the Apollo, and highly recommend it. The acting was first rate all round, and the script was hilarious. To say that it is 'Shameless in the country' is doing it a great injustice, but it does give you a general gist of what it's about.

I do find the theatre a bizarre experience - that these people are actually there performing in front of you, and that they do it practically every night, I just find it quite funny! This was only the third time I've been to the theatre though so I'm sure I'll stop finding it strange eventually!

I'm going to try and drag my theatre date out to see Avenue Q next as I've heard good things about it. Where is usually the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get tickets for such things? Where can one find out the 2 for 1 deals?

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 122
RE: The Theatre Thread - 5/2/2010 12:26:56 PM   
Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

I went to see Jerusalem the other night in the Apollo, and highly recommend it. The acting was first rate all round, and the script was hilarious. To say that it is 'Shameless in the country' is doing it a great injustice, but it does give you a general gist of what it's about.

I do find the theatre a bizarre experience - that these people are actually there performing in front of you, and that they do it practically every night, I just find it quite funny! This was only the third time I've been to the theatre though so I'm sure I'll stop finding it strange eventually!

I'm going to try and drag my theatre date out to see Avenue Q next as I've heard good things about it. Where is usually the best (i.e. cheapest) place to get tickets for such things? Where can one find out the 2 for 1 deals?

Hurry up if you're planning to go and see Avenue Q as it's closing in a month or so. If you're not fussy about times you can get pretty cheap tickets for the early Friday show (think it's 5pm or so) but otherwise there does seem to be offers for it around, and you certainly shouldn't be paying full price. It's a great show - go if you can!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 123
RE: The Theatre Thread - 5/2/2010 3:39:06 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Hurry up if you're planning to go and see Avenue Q as it's closing in a month or so. If you're not fussy about times you can get pretty cheap tickets for the early Friday show (think it's 5pm or so) but otherwise there does seem to be offers for it around, and you certainly shouldn't be paying full price. It's a great show - go if you can!

No it's not closing, it's just moving to a new theatre http://www.whatsonstage.com/news/theatre/london/E8831264121426/Avenue+Nabs+Third+West+End+Home+at+Wyndham%92s.html

Avenue Q is part of the Get Into London Theatre promo, running until early March. You can get Mon-Fri tickets for about £25.

http://www.seetickets.com/gilt2010/event_calendar.asp?e|artist=GILT+OFFER+AVENUE+Q&venaudit=Gielgud%20Theatre,%20Shaftesbury%20Avenue&resultsperpage=500&dateto=28/02/2010&firstdate=05/02/2010&lastdate=11/03/2010&filler1=gilt&filler2=&filler3=

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 124
RE: The Theatre Thread - 5/2/2010 3:43:48 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: kathryn2

Elab, have you made it to Habit of Art? I'm considering day ticketing it (and the Pitman Painters) at some point.

I've not made it down to London but I do have tickets for the NT Live broadcast in Glasgow - it was added as the next one after Nation. I think it's April it's showing - I've just realised you need to pick up GFT tickets, they don't post them!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 125
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/3/2010 8:05:31 PM   
TheSpleen

Saw Hedda Gabler last night. Very bad don't go!!
Anyone ever seen Medea? I'm going to see it in a week or two.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 126
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/3/2010 11:10:50 PM   
Peppermint

I'm going to see The History Boys at the Theatre Royal Brighton at the end of March. Not the original cast, obviously, but I'm still looking forward to it.

In April I'm seeing The Woman In Black and Witness For The Prosecution at the same venue.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 127
RE: The Theatre Thread - 12/3/2010 12:47:53 PM   
Indio

I'm going to see Waiting For Godot at the Theatre Royal tonight, it was a last minute decision, every time I've looked at tickets before they've always been either right at the back or on the end of a row looking at the stage from a dodgy angle which always put me off paying the sort of prices West End theatres charge these days, I looked online earlier today and excellent stall seats were available so snapped them up.

Really looking forward to it, the only other Beckett play I've seen is Eh Joe starring Michael Gambon a few years back, it will be interesting to see Roger Rees alongside Ian McKellen, last thing I saw him in was Cheers and that must have been a good 20 years ago.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 128
RE: The Theatre Thread - 13/3/2010 5:02:05 PM   
steflon

got tickets to go see Les Miserables on the 31st finally
been waiting years to go see it...cant wait

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 129
RE: The Theatre Thread - 13/3/2010 5:06:06 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

I've not made it down to London but I do have tickets for the NT Live broadcast in Glasgow - it was added as the next one after Nation. I think it's April it's showing - I've just realised you need to pick up GFT tickets, they don't post them!

How's The Habit of Art? It was on show here recently but instead I went to see Reza's Art.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 130
RE: The Theatre Thread - 19/5/2010 8:29:41 PM   
TheSpleen

Saw Sweet Nothings at the Warwick Arts Centre and a newly written play called 'Modern Love' in Hereford. Both were fantastic.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 131
RE: The Theatre Thread - 20/5/2010 8:32:14 AM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

How's The Habit of Art? It was on show here recently but instead I went to see Reza's Art.

We enjoyed it, though I can see how it wouldn't be some people's cup of tea. Very much about actors and theatre, as much as about Auden and Britten. We particularly enjoyed the interval, and the actor who only appeared during it! Blurring the lines between theatre and reality...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 132
RE: The Theatre Thread - 20/6/2010 4:09:42 PM   
Indio

Haven't seen anything at the theatre since Waiting For Godot back in March, next thing booked is Danton's Death starring Toby Stephens at the NT in August.

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 133
RE: The Theatre Thread - 20/6/2010 6:47:27 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

quote:

I added a review of it in the top 100 thread since, technically, I saw it on a cinema screen (mid April some point).

We also have tickets to see London Assurance via NT Live next Monday.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 134
RE: The Theatre Thread - 23/6/2010 12:56:32 PM   
Indio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Indio

Haven't seen anything at the theatre since Waiting For Godot back in March, next thing booked is Danton's Death starring Toby Stephens at the NT in August.

Also going to see The Beauty Queen Of Leenane by Martin McDonagh next month at the Young Vic.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 135
RE: The Theatre Thread - 23/6/2010 3:09:43 PM   
BishopQuaker

The better half and I are planning on seeing Spamalot at the Opera House in Manc in July

Also hoping to see Wicked in the very near future!

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 136
RE: The Theatre Thread - 23/6/2010 5:29:08 PM   
the anomaly

I saw Enron for free the other day. Can't remember how. But I signed up somewhere for tickets. I'll post the website here when I remember. It was a good show, entertaining and informative. 

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 137
RE: The Theatre Thread - 9/8/2010 8:02:28 PM   
Indio

Going to see Michael Gambon in Krapp's Last Tape at the Duchess in October.

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 138
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/8/2010 12:16:50 PM   
BishopQuaker

I've recently been to see (within a week of each other!)
Spamalot - Absolutely brilliant. Marcus Brigstock, Jodie Prenger et al - Very funny. I loved how they keep changing the songs to keep them up to date. Also the execution of Susan Boyle was pretty hilarious!

Hairspray - Not my choice but very enjoyable. I think the word "feelgood" would be best suited to this one. Michael Ball and Nigel Planer were brilliant. I got Nigel's autograph afterwards too so that made my day.

(in reply to Indio)
Post #: 139
RE: The Theatre Thread - 25/9/2010 7:34:29 PM   
elab49

It seems to be the season. Simon Callow in The Man From Stratford last night and we've booked tickets for the touring production of Habit of Art in November and Jacobi touring with Lear next year.

I saw a review suggesting that without Griffiths and Jennings (I saw the NT LIve production with them), Habit of Art was a little dry but it didn't say who the touring cast was. Does anyone know or have they seen it?

< Message edited by elab49 -- 25/9/2010 7:45:19 PM >

quote:

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 140
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/11/2010 6:47:12 PM   
BishopQuaker

A quick bump for this old favourite thread of ours.

I've just come back from London having taken the better half to go and see Wicked.
Have to say it was a fantastic show. I've heard the music a lot having listened to the album, but the show itself was spectacular.
Great sets, costumes and of course performances.

If you haven't seen it yet I recommend it to any of you.

Just don't go to the Wetherspoons 2 doors down.
Unless you want to see some wench screaming in the pub like a rough as a badgers arse Barbara Windsor.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 141
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/11/2010 6:52:24 PM   
Peppermint

Saw Alison Steadman in Blithe Spirit on Saturday and she was bloody brilliant.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 142
RE: The Theatre Thread - 18/2/2012 12:16:16 PM   
elab49

http://www.digitaltheatre.com/

This hasn't been bumped in a while. Thanks to an ad in G2 (when I wondered why it had an old one for Tate/Tennant doing Much Ado) I found this, I think, new site. NT, Globe and Donmar don't seem to be linked but they already do their own transmission thing, but it's got a really impressive line-up of theatres and a few productions already available including the Much Ado above, which I can't wait to see, and a varied range beyond that - all for rental or permanent DL at only £9 a pop. Even more options for those of us missing London based productions, then.

quote:

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 143
RE: The Theatre Thread - 20/2/2012 2:04:39 PM   
elab49

One note, again for those with DL limits - an SD DL of a standard looking production lengthwise comes in at 2.4GB - I dread to think what HD would be!

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 144
RE: The Theatre Thread - 15/4/2012 1:03:57 PM   
elab49

Wonderful news for those who missed it. Roger Allam's magnificent Falstaff from the Globe's Henry IV (previously seen in On Screen transmissions around the country as well) is going to be on Sky Arts 2 tomorrow night at 8pm. This was part of a series of 4 transmissions as noted below - as recording brings up series link I'm guessing it might be all of them which is brilliant news. And Allam (and Jamie Parker) are superb in Henry IV.

http://www.shakespearesglobe.com/theatre/on-film

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 145
RE: The Theatre Thread - 15/4/2012 7:43:22 PM   
Magenta

Watching the Olivier awards and am feeling all goosbumpy and nostalgic after seeing the Wicked Cast..
Am going to see Sweeny Todd on the 5th May and have booked to see The Mousetrap in nov as it's touring and featuring at a theatre near me .. ooo soo excited I could crush a grape or two ..

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 146
RE: The Theatre Thread - 15/4/2012 9:21:01 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Magenta

Watching the Olivier awards and am feeling all goosbumpy and nostalgic after seeing the Wicked Cast..
Am going to see Sweeny Todd on the 5th May and have booked to see The Mousetrap in nov as it's touring and featuring at a theatre near me .. ooo soo excited I could crush a grape or two ..

I'm actually really tempted to go see it again as well. I did the tourist thing and went to it when I first moved down to London but it was fun enough for a rewatch.

quote:

(in reply to Magenta)
Post #: 147
RE: The Theatre Thread - 15/4/2012 9:39:25 PM   
MovieAddict247

For those like me who missed it the first time round, PictureHouse Cinemas are screening Frankenstein again (the Cumberbatch/Lee Miller one). I know it's not the same as seeing it directly live, but should be good anyway (I've never been to a cinema-screened play - are they good?)

Details here: http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/News/item/Nt_Encore_Frankenstein/

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 148
RE: The Theatre Thread - 15/4/2012 9:52:46 PM   
elab49

Not just Picturehouses - better to check NT Live to see everyone doing it. Cineworld quite often show them too.

The Frankenstein is stunning on transmission and I'd very much recommend watching both parts (the switched roles, which they are reshowing again). I think it might come down to the director deciding what to do - some are pretty much cameras plonked down, some far more interesting - with Boyle in charge Frankenstein is very definitely the latter.

quote:

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 149
RE: The Theatre Thread - 16/4/2012 5:33:12 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

Not just Picturehouses - better to check NT Live to see everyone doing it. Cineworld quite often show them too.

The Frankenstein is stunning on transmission and I'd very much recommend watching both parts (the switched roles, which they are reshowing again). I think it might come down to the director deciding what to do - some are pretty much cameras plonked down, some far more interesting - with Boyle in charge Frankenstein is very definitely the latter.

From what I gather, both versions are being aired - it just depends on the cinema.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI