Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Theatre Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/2/2008 9:30:19 PM   
DaveNewman18

Know what you mean, really wish I lived in London so that I would be surrounded by it and have no excuses not to go. Probably seeing something at the National in a couple of weeks mind.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 91
RE: The Theatre Thread - 12/2/2008 10:38:22 AM   
belluccisbra

On March the fisrt in going to see Speed the plow with Kevin Spacey and Jeff Goldblum at the old vic

To say im excited would be underselling it

Exterminate all rational thought

(in reply to pettsy)
Post #: 92
RE: The Theatre Thread - 15/2/2008 7:18:30 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

I'm seeing Speed-The-Plow in March, too !

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to belluccisbra)
Post #: 93
RE: The Theatre Thread - 15/2/2008 9:20:18 PM   
DaveNewman18

I so want to see this, dear god. I love Mamet so much.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 94
RE: The Theatre Thread - 23/8/2009 5:28:38 PM   
BishopQuaker

Blimey I really have dragged this thread back from the midst of time!

Well I've just come back from a stint in London and while I was there took in a show... or 3!

The Mousetrap - Longest running play in the West End and a brilliant show to boot. Over 23,000 showings I think!
My sister is a big Agatha Christie fan so we were duty bound to go and see it.
A great murder mystery with more twists than you can shake a stick at.

Avenue Q - When Muppets Go Bad!
Utterly UnPC and Utterly Brilliant.
Needless to say there were some people who didn't approve but to be honest, if you don't know what its about, or at least know of the content before you go, then more fool you!
Although that said, seeing an old woman walk out at the end tutting "Well thank God that's over" was hilarious.

The 39 Steps - Cast of 4 and all tremendous.
Laugh-along comedy from start to finish. I can't remember his name but the bloke who is Sargent Scott in Midsummer Murders was the lead and he was great.
To cap it off, Hunter from Gladiators gave him a standing ovation!

Sorry they're short reviews but I enjoyed them all and would recommend each and every one.
Although make sure you get decent seats for The 39 Steps

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 95
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/8/2009 11:49:26 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

I, too, have seen The 39 Steps - it's pretty darn good.

I' ve been wandering where this thread had gone to. I saw A Streetcar Named Desire at the Donmar a couple of weeks ago. It was great! Weisz, in particular was immense, the other cast were good but some of the accents were vastly meandering. I give it ****, personally. Not the perfect production, but a very good one.

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 96
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/8/2009 12:03:11 PM   
BishopQuaker

Ooo I should have done stars

The Mousetrap - 4/5
Avenue Q - 4.5/5
The 39 Steps - 4/5 - Would have been 5/5 if I'd been able to see all of it but unfortunately I was in the lower circle and the sodding balcony cut off the very top of the stage, whould wouldn't have mattered if they hadn't used the high boxes next to the stage!

Post #: 97
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/8/2009 12:07:40 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

When I saw saw The 39 Steps I was on the very left in the stalls (at the end of the row), I couldn't see some parts like yourself, which was slightly annoying. Thanksfully, because it's a pacy show, the action doesn't linger in one place for too long .

P.S. Avenue Q is the musical of the decade, in my humble opinion.

< Message edited by i007_Bond_007i -- 24/8/2009 12:08:54 PM >

Post #: 98
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/8/2009 12:20:27 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

I, too, have seen The 39 Steps - it's pretty darn good.

I' ve been wandering where this thread had gone to. I saw A Streetcar Named Desire at the Donmar a couple of weeks ago. It was great! Weisz, in particular was immense, the other cast were good but some of the accents were vastly meandering. I give it ****, personally. Not the perfect production, but a very good one.

I'm seeing Streetcar in October, have heard good things about it, so am really looking forward to it!
I keep thinking I should see The 39 Steps, but I haven't watched the film - do you need to know the film to enjoy the show?

Post #: 99
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/8/2009 12:31:20 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

I'm sure you'll enjoy Streetcar . It's one of the bet plays I've seen this year.

I watched The 39 Steps with no previous knowledge, so you'll be fine!

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 100
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/8/2009 1:48:14 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

It's one of the bet plays I've seen this year.

I might look at 39 Steps tickets then, and see if I can find a good deal!

Do you go to the theatre a lot? What else have you seen?
I'm being nosey because there seems to be a shortage of theatre buffs here at Empire Towers....

Edited to add: Lastminute.com are doing top-price seats 39 Steps for £25 and second price seats for £15, but you don't know what seat you'll get till you get there, and the Criterion suffers from the pillars in the stalls. Hmm.....

< Message edited by kathryn2 -- 24/8/2009 1:56:43 PM >

Post #: 101
RE: The Theatre Thread - 24/8/2009 2:00:50 PM   
elab49

My luck is never in - I'd to give away my tickets when 39 Steps was in Glasgow but the couple who went instead of us said they thought it was fantastic. They hadn't known what to expect at all (and they got me a couple of nice goodies from the souvenir bit too ). Really want to see it next time we're down in London though - the reviews were excellent.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 102
RE: The Theatre Thread - 26/8/2009 4:32:36 PM   
kathryn2

I plumped for a £15 ticket for friday night for 39 steps. Hopefully lastminute.com won't let me down, and it'll b a decent seat!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 103
RE: The Theatre Thread - 26/8/2009 8:41:17 PM   
BishopQuaker

To be honest kathryn, wherever you sit you'll enjoy The 39 Steps.

I thought it was brilliant

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 104
RE: The Theatre Thread - 27/8/2009 7:01:55 PM   
kathryn2

Oh @*&%@$^!

Just seen this offer:

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/buy_tickets/special_offers/viewspecialoffers/item74356/The-39-Steps/

quote:

Show: The 39 Steps
Special Offer
End Date: 17 Oct 2009
Top price seats for £19.50 (usually £45)How to book
To book top price seats for just £19.50 (usually £45), call the box office 020 7907 7000 and quote ‘Official London Theatre offer’

Offer valid for all performances, excluding Saturday evenings from Monday 31 August until Saturday 17 October 2009. Subject to availability. Offer not available online (No bkg fee)

Well, I hope some other Empire forumite gets to take advantage of it....

Post #: 105
RE: The Theatre Thread - 16/9/2009 9:48:18 PM   
pedros

quote:

ORIGINAL: kathryn2

Oh @*&%@$^!

Just seen this offer:

http://www.officiallondontheatre.co.uk/buy_tickets/special_offers/viewspecialoffers/item74356/The-39-Steps/

quote:

Show: The 39 Steps
Special Offer
End Date: 17 Oct 2009
Top price seats for £19.50 (usually £45)How to book
To book top price seats for just £19.50 (usually £45), call the box office 020 7907 7000 and quote 'Official London Theatre offer'

Offer valid for all performances, excluding Saturday evenings from Monday 31 August until Saturday 17 October 2009. Subject to availability. Offer not available online (No bkg fee)

Well, I hope some other Empire forumite gets to take advantage of it....

I have taken advantage of it and am going next Thursday, thanks Kathryn. Thing is, I haven't seen the film, or any of the other adaptations, or read the novel. Nor am I that familiar with Hitchcock's films. Will I still enjoy the play?

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 106
RE: The Theatre Thread - 17/9/2009 1:06:57 AM   
Pigeon Army

A couple of weeks back, I went to see a new New Zealand work at the NZ Drama School Toi Whakaari, Bedlam. Was put on by the Playground Collective, a rising theatre company in Wellington whose last play, The Intricate Art of Actually Caring, is fantastic, and you should see it if you ever get the chance (they're playing Melbourne next year, so they're moving up in the world).

But back to Bedlam - it's a horror-cum-drama-cum-musical about the Royal Bethlehem Hospital, and it is fantastic. The characters are great, the songs are decent (though it's kind of hard to hear the lyrics), and the atmosphere is absolutely amazing. Totally worth seeing if you get the chance, though I don't know whether it's ever going to be performed again.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 107
RE: The Theatre Thread - 19/9/2009 7:47:33 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

I have taken advantage of it and am going next Thursday, thanks Kathryn. Thing is, I haven't seen the film, or any of the other adaptations, or read the novel. Nor am I that familiar with Hitchcock's films. Will I still enjoy the play?

Well, I enjoyed it, and neither have I. To be honest it wasn't the best thing I've seen in a theatre recently (but then I've seen some really cracking plays this summer, so the bar is set rather high) but it was an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

I saw Priscilla, Queen of the Desert thursday night, for the second time, and really enjoyed it. A good fun evening - cheered me up no end despite a stinking cold. I sat in the grand cirlce, which was fine - I would urge people to avoid the balcony and go no higher than the first two or three rows in the grand circle though, to get a decent view. The Palace theatre is badly designed, and has bad sightlines - the seating plan doesn't reflect the shape of the auditorium, so seats that look like they should be fine are often restricted view. It's always worth checking out theatremonkey.com for seat reviews before you book.

The show as a whole doesn't have the depth of the film - and of course it misses the sweep of the Australian landscape, which is such a major feature of the film's look - but the costumes and performances are very good. And Oliver Thornton's legs are to die for!

Speaking of good legs - I'm seeing John Barrowman in La Cage Aux Folles next friday, so I shall report back on that, too. It's a wonderful show (I've seen it twice in the past year, with two different casts), so I'm really looking forward to it!

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 108
RE: The Theatre Thread - 26/9/2009 10:36:45 PM   
kathryn2

Well. We had an absolutely fabulous time at La Cage Aux Folles last night, a really really great evening out. I thoroughly recommend the show.

Last night was my third visit, but there were ten of us and only a couple of others had seen it before, and everyone loved it. In fact, I've booked to see it again, and at least one other person said they'd go again. Rumour says it'll close after Christmas so I would urge people to plan a visit soon. John Barrowman is in it until the 28th November.

He really does make a wonderful drag queen - stunning looks, funny, an amazing voice, and angry and vulnerable at times. And he sings the score better than anyone else so far - simply a gorgeous stunning powerful voice, and he gets so much emotion into it! And Simon Burke was also brilliant as Georges - in fact I think he might be my favourite Georges yet.

The 'notorious and dangerous' Cagelles were also wonderful.

The cast collected for Macmillan cancer relief after the show, so we got a bit closer than usual to the costumes - love the feathers - and I got to see John Barrowman up close for the first time. He is amazingly handsome in real life. And a thoroughly nice bloke - even if he does have trouble keeping track of the days of the week! (He told us it had been their best saturday night yet - and then realised it was friday!)

< Message edited by kathryn2 -- 26/9/2009 10:38:44 PM >

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 109
RE: The Theatre Thread - 27/9/2009 2:56:22 PM   
Peppermint

I went to see Absurd Person Singular at the Theatre Royal in Brighton last weekend and in November I'm going to see Dial M For Murder there.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 110
RE: The Theatre Thread - 30/9/2009 11:50:32 AM   
kathryn2

How was Absurd Person Singular? I never got round to seeing it when it was on in the West End last year, though I did want to.

I'm seeing As You Like It at the Globe on Friday, and then A Streetcar Named Desire at the Donmar Warehouse on saturday afternoon.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 111
RE: The Theatre Thread - 30/9/2009 12:51:02 PM   
Acho

I'm working for the Dublin Theatre Festival at the moment, so have no excuses! Going to see Chekov's Three Sisters tomorrow night, which is meant to be great. It's three hours long and in Russian though!

Saw The Manganiyar Seduction last week, going to KAMP tonight and The Crumb Trail and Pitmen Painters over the next week or so.

Still managing to sneak to the cinema when no one's looking though!

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 112
RE: The Theatre Thread - 30/9/2009 1:02:02 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Going to see The Seafarer in The Abbey in december-really looking forward to it

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Acho)
Post #: 113
RE: The Theatre Thread - 4/10/2009 12:24:35 PM   
kathryn2

As You Like it was good fun, though slightly bum-numbing due to The Globe's wooden benches, and a bit chilly. Well worth seeing before it closes though - Touchstone was especially good. Go and stand for a fiver and you'll certainly get your money's worth of entertainment!

Streetcar yesterday was an extremely intense experience - very very well done, and well-acted, but boy it left us all wrung-out emotionally. Rachel Weisz is an amazing actress who deserves far meatier film roles than the Mummy films!

< Message edited by kathryn2 -- 4/10/2009 12:25:05 PM >

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 114
RE: The Theatre Thread - 4/10/2009 3:25:31 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: kathryn2

How was Absurd Person Singular? I never got round to seeing it when it was on in the West End last year, though I did want to.

I'm seeing As You Like It at the Globe on Friday, and then A Streetcar Named Desire at the Donmar Warehouse on saturday afternoon.

Not too bad, although being a thickie I checked beforehand as I wasn't sure if it was Alan Ayckbourn or Alan Bennett that had written it

I think my friend liked it more than I did as I thought the ending was a bit weird and felt unfinished somehow, though I don't know what other ending there could have been, so I'm probably being a bit fussy.

Who was in As You Like It, kathryn?

"What, again?"

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 115
RE: The Theatre Thread - 4/10/2009 3:32:43 PM   
themightyhutch

Going to see Lenny Henry in Othello in November for AS English and I can't wait.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 116
RE: The Theatre Thread - 4/10/2009 5:45:52 PM   
Indio

Haven't been to the theatre so far this year, going to see John Lithgow's one man show Stories By Heart at the National Theatre in a few weeks time, also going to see Keith Allen, Mark Benton and Reece Shearsmith in Comedians at the Hammersmith Lyric next month.

'Think about the future.'

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 117
RE: The Theatre Thread - 5/10/2009 2:05:08 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

Who was in As You Like It, kathryn?

I'm not sure if you'll recognise many of these names - though Brendan Hughes was in Valkyrie, according to the programme.

Michael Benz Silvius
Philip Bird Duke Senior
Sophie Duval Audrey
Naomi Frederick Rosalind
Peter Gale Amiens/Sir Oliver Martext
Gregory Gudgeon Le Beau/William
Brendan Hughes Duke Frederick
Sean Kearns Charles the Wrestler/Corin
Jack Laskey Orlando
Trevor Martin Adam
Tim McMullan Jaques
Jamie Parker Oliver
Laura Rogers Celia
Dominic Rowan Touchstone
Ewart James Walters Hymen
Jade Williams Phoebe

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 118
RE: The Theatre Thread - 5/10/2009 3:49:47 PM   
Peppermint

I've heard of Jamie Parker as he was in The History Boys and Valkyrie

"What, again?"

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 119
RE: The Theatre Thread - 5/10/2009 3:55:10 PM   
elab49

I'm hoping to get down to London for The Habit of Art, although I'd like to know who is replacing Gambon. (Edit - ignore, the NT site is also telling me that Richard Griffiths is going to sub for a while)

Has anyone tried one of these NT Live in the cinema shows? I noticed our local arthouse seems to be showing Nation in January and I'd be quite interested in giving it a go.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 5/10/2009 3:56:05 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI