Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Theatre Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 7:53:16 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

ORIGINAL: Samuelpoet

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

quote:

ORIGINAL: Samuelpoet

King Lear   -  The Royal Shakespeare Company, Newcastle, Theatre Royal.

Friday 29th June 2007, was a night of spectacular marvel at Newcastle's Theatre Royal. As part of the celebration / anniversary of Shakespeares work which has spanned over the past year, the celebrations continue with King Lear brought to Newcastles infamous stage. In comparrison to previous RSC shows I have seen over recent years, this performance was astounding and completely moving. Everyone should know the story of King Lear, and for those who don't, well I will not divulge... all I will say is that this version by the RSC, was done bang to rights in comparison to that of the rather poor version I saw some six years ago directed and performed (lead role) by the egotistical Barry Rutter. However this lavish RSC production I witnessed purely by chance of a spare ticket, was an experience to be inspired by.

With a cross over of contrasting period costumes, simplistic sets, outstanding choreography, amazing special effects and Trevor Nunns direction, King Lear was  was just a dream to be part of, as an audience.

Sir Ian Mckellen played an outstanding Lear, with emotion and humour laying the phychological foundations to Lears state of mind. With the occasional member of the audience expecting to see either Magneto or Gandalf... I expected to see King Lear, and that is what I got. Lear's Fool played by Sylvester McCoy, proved a little more fragile as the great king. This isn't a negative by all means, I mean fragile as in state of mind, while The Fool opts to be the Kings backbone, away from the King, The Fool just crumbles, and is the means to his sad end.

What more is there to be said?

Other than this... The RSC... Simply genius!!!

Nice review there! I'd love to see McKellen do some Shakespeare (I saw a video of him doing Macbeth from the 70s/80s, and it wasn't that great), as I've heard he's become better with his age. Interesting to see your support of the RSC. I went to see an RSC production of Macbeth a few years ago in London, and it was some of the worst Shakespeare I'd ever seen. I'd never seen an RSC prodcution before, and was looking forward to it. I was so disappointed!
Well previous RSC productions I have seen are Twelth Night, and of course Julius Ceasar... both quality performances, I would very much love to see the RSC do Macbeth... They did a while back with Greg somebody... can't remember his name... I should though because we had a Shakespearean work shop with him, when I did actor training!

Yeah, that's the guy! Greg Hicks! He was awful (and I love Shakespeare!). Sian Thomas was good as Lady Macbeth, but mainly it was the set, the direction and the actors trying to out-yell each that didn't work (exaggeration isn't the word!). So many creative forces that ultimately didn't gel. It's strange to think that the Royal Shakespeare Company can mess up Shakespeare, but it happened !

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 61
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 8:03:38 PM   
Samuelpoet

Ahhh Greg Hicks... Hmmm, he came across as being arogant, but however in his defence he was great in Julius Ceaser... But went ballistic, when no one knew what the opening monologue meant. He was close to storming out of the college...  Nutter!

But hey thats passion for you!

So where did you see this crappy Macbeth?

I saw a great version of Macbeth done by a more contemporary theatre group at the west yorkshire playhouse in Leeds about 8 years ago. It was set around the time of Niklai Chauchesku (?) the once, but now dead dictator of Romania!

Now that was a genius version of a Shakespeare classic!

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 62
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 8:36:44 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

Yeah, I agree. Most actors (when faced with a bunch of students) put on the "I'm-an-actor-so-I'm-better-than-you!" face. I've had that experience too. I saw it at the Aldwych I think in the West End in 2004 I think. Hicks has a tendency to whisper THEN ALL OF OF A SUDDEN SHOUT; there wasn't much variety, really. Hoping to go to the West End sometime this summer to watch something. Will probably be Wicked!

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 63
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 8:47:03 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveNewman18

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie

Which other ones are you going for? Central? LAMDA and RADA?

Lordy, this is going rather OT! Er... theatre stuff... erm... YAY WICKED!

Jackie.

Central, Lamda, Bristol Old Vic, possibly Rada, Drama Centre maybe, Arts Ed.

Guildhall and Bristol are definately my favourites at the moment, RADA well...its RADA, but a lot of people have been telling me that they are too prestigious for their own good and seem to get by on just their name these days, I may audition for the experience n all, but they have the most dragged out audition process out of all the London drama schools.

Arts Ed is currently about the best drama school at the moment.  Drama schools are like football clubs ... for a few years one will be the pre-eminent one, then another.  It also depends what you're interested in ... musical theatre, theatre, what your objectives are (I went to LAMDA and very few of us stayed friends because the whole ethos was all about it being a hugely competitive industry where it was every man for himself, whereas a friend went to Arts Ed where the ethos was all about you need as many friends as you can get to survive).  I'd really take the time to speak to students at each college - and not ones who are there (because they have no concept of what being an actor is actually about) but people who have been out of drama school for a couple of years who can look back with some objectivity.

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 64
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 10:52:57 PM   
Jackie

quote:

quote:

Jackie.

Guildhall and Bristol are definately my favourites at the moment, RADA well...its RADA, but a lot of people have been telling me that they are too prestigious for their own good and seem to get by on just their name these days, I may audition for the experience n all, but they have the most dragged out audition process out of all the London drama schools.

Arts Ed is just around the corner from me It is very good. RADA, Lamda and Central are all very prestigious, and as a result they do have a tendency to rest on their laurels somewhat. Having said that, the reason they are prestigious is because they do turn out the best. So I guess it depends on what you're after!

Jackie.

http://dwightsheep.pocketses.net

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****
5. Grave of the Fireflies *****

Post #: 65
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 10:55:21 PM   
The2ndRing

I saw Lanscape with Weapon at the National a little while back, I think it might still be one, I'd reccommend it to anyone, very well written and acted.  Tom Hollander was in it, whose always great to watch in a play.

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 66
RE: The Theatre Thread - 4/7/2007 11:33:24 AM   
Monkeyshaver

Forget tacky musicals aimed at tourists (which as the article in the link below shows now dominate) & go & see a proper play. I saw Gaslight at the Old Vic last week which was really good. 
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/07/04/btconfess104.xml&DCMP=ILC-traffdrv07053100

Monkeyshaver is currently watching Doctor Who on the office TV.

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 67
RE: The Theatre Thread - 4/7/2007 12:28:08 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

ORIGINAL: Prophet_of_Doom

quote:

quote:

Jackie.

Arts Ed is currently about the best drama school at the moment.  Drama schools are like football clubs ... for a few years one will be the pre-eminent one, then another.  It also depends what you're interested in ... musical theatre, theatre, what your objectives are (I went to LAMDA and very few of us stayed friends because the whole ethos was all about it being a hugely competitive industry where it was every man for himself, whereas a friend went to Arts Ed where the ethos was all about you need as many friends as you can get to survive).  I'd really take the time to speak to students at each college - and not ones who are there (because they have no concept of what being an actor is actually about) but people who have been out of drama school for a couple of years who can look back with some objectivity.

Interesting analogy my friend, some valuable comments there and I will be sure to take them on board, so how was LAMDA as far as the training then? Are you the guy that works as a casting director?

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jackie.

Arts Ed is just around the corner from me It is very good. RADA, Lamda and Central are all very prestigious, and as a result they do have a tendency to rest on their laurels somewhat. Having said that, the reason they are prestigious is because they do turn out the best. So I guess it depends on what you're after!

Jackie.

Yeh it does come down to what kind of person the applicant is really dosen't it, my only reservation with Arts Ed is the price, the yearly fees are more than double the likes of what most drama schools charge, and in an industry where getting work is extremely tough; it seems almost ridicolous to pay almost 30,000 on training when you aren't guarenteed a career. Mountview is the most expensive at the moment, ten grand a year there, they are probably the top dog with musical theatre but because of that Ive heard they don't give their acting course that much attention.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Prophet_of_Doom)
Post #: 68
RE: The Theatre Thread - 4/7/2007 12:32:59 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

ORIGINAL: The2ndRing

I saw Lanscape with Weapon at the National a little while back, I think it might still be one, I'd reccommend it to anyone, very well written and acted.  Tom Hollander was in it, whose always great to watch in a play.

Sounds pretty good actually, will look into it as I would very much like to see it.

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 69
Great news! - 9/7/2007 6:27:08 PM   
DaveNewman18

Glengarry Glen Ross will be revived in the West End come september with Johnathan Pryce as Shelly Levine and Aidan Gillen  as Richard Roma, love this play to the max!

Source: http://www.thestage.co.uk/news/newsstory.php/17354/pryce-signs-up-for-west-ends-glengarry-glen

Follow me if you dare ;)

Post #: 70
RE: Great news! - 9/7/2007 7:20:01 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

Ive had a bit of a theatre-y week. Saw In Celebration @ the Duke of Yorks on Thurday which was outstanding. And on Saturday saw the new production of Joseph which , again was brilliant

www.myspace.com/ashleighcassegrain
Got Facebook?

Post #: 71
RE: Great news! - 9/7/2007 7:25:21 PM   
Jackal

Saw The 39 Steps in London's West End a few weeks ago. Very funny.

And went to see The Rocky Horror Show at the King's in Glasgow. Also a great laugh

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to troublemakerashleigh)
Post #: 72
RE: Great news! - 10/7/2007 10:44:56 AM   
DaveNewman18

Damn I envy you both, I wont be able to get to the Theatre for a few weeks yet.

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 73
RE: Great news! - 10/7/2007 10:57:47 AM   
Jackie

TWO DAYS UNTIL The Sound of Music

Too excited for words. I don't know how I'm going to restrain myself from singing along. Might have to gaffer tape my mouth. I've got a massive list of stuff I want to see now, including Absurdia at the Donmar Warehouse (which is a fantastic location, incidentally - I saw the most amazing version of Macbeth there) and Stephen Fry's Cinderella at the Old Vic in December.

Jackie.

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

Post #: 74
RE: Great news! - 10/7/2007 11:39:27 AM   
troublemakerashleigh

Oh I went to see the Sound of Music when it first opened and nearly died of bordem! I just didnt think it was a strong cast at all and Connie Fisher  But everyone haas their opinions, most ppl I know who've seen it really enjoyed it!

Got Facebook?

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 75
RE: Great news! - 11/7/2007 3:50:36 PM   
DaveNewman18

Sound Of Music is not to high on my to see list at the moment. Anyways the next time I go to the Theatre will be for a matinee performance of some kind at the National, followed by We Will Rock You in the evening- going to be a killer day .

Follow me if you dare ;)

Post #: 76
RE: Great news! - 11/7/2007 5:14:30 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

We Will Rock You is great tho it was so much better when Tony Vincent was in it!

Got Facebook?

Post #: 77
RE: Great news! - 11/7/2007 10:52:37 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

ORIGINAL: troublemakerashleigh

We Will Rock You is great tho it was so much better when Tony Vincent was in it!

Ive only heard the soundtrack and he does have a tremendous voice, I've actually read a few reviews that slated him.

Follow me if you dare ;)

Post #: 78
RE: Great news! - 13/7/2007 1:22:00 AM   
Jackie

Just got back from The Sound of Music - overall, very good production. The sets were amazing - they moved up, down, sideways, round. I was very impressed and it just looked fantastic. When the show opens Maria is "lying" on the hill, which is actually vertical and then slowly lowers to horizontal throughout the first song. It looked fantastic. The sets all slide in, with different elaborate sets for the abbey, the Von Trapp home, the performance stage (they put down a big red curtain and then swastika banners start unravelling all around the audience, very clever), the garden (trees float in from above!), the hills and Maria's bedroom in the Von Trapp home.

The Mother Abbess (played by Margaret Preece) was amazing - beautiful operatic voice, literally sent shivers down my spine. I met her afterwards and got her autograph on my program (I know, I'm a total loser!) and she was so lovely. When I complimented her on the show and her singing (I told her she was fantastic and totally blew me away), she laughed and said that she was glad I thought so, but she was actually on antibiotics! Connie Fisher was slightly disappointing, in that even though she sounded and looked great, she has a tendency to be a little OTT and over-act. Because of the fact that she's practically in all the songs and has done nearly all the shows, her voice sounded a bit tired in her upper-range, but during the reprise of '16 Going On 17' she hit some lovely clear high notes. Some very funny bits too, which I think she did very well. When I met her afterwards the poor thing had been crying, because apparently she'd had some bad news...? No idea what, but she was still absolutely lovely and signed my program. Very, very pretty and she took photos with people. I was saying to my friend who came to see it with me that I can imagine that Connie will probably move on to something like Chicago once she's finished The Sound of Music, because it's the kind of show that likes high-profile actresses, but it might be kind of tricky for her to move away from the Maria image. Of course what I also said is that when I was watching the show tonight I kept thinking 'there's Connie' rather than 'there's Maria', while with Wicked I was watching Elphaba, not Idina Menzel, which is a bit of a shame, because now that she's so high-profile she's become a personality and so you can never really get into her performance.

The only other person whose autograph I got was Alexander Hanson's (Captain George Von Trapp) and he was lovely too! Very friendly cast in general, all very willing to have a chat, have photos, etc. The children were fantastic, all wonderful voices (the kid playing Kurt, my GOD what a voice! He hit this high note that just sent shivers), except for Sophie Bould (Liesl). Even though her singing voice was very good she was annoying the hell out of me, she and Neil McDermott (Rolf Gruber). They were so bloody irritating! She's older than 16 (in 20s, probably), so she decided to put on this really irritating high-pitched voice to be younger, but ended up seeming about 13. She was so annoying. And Rolf as well - some serious over-acting going on there. The problem is that there's a big difference between a high energy performance and a very loud and over the top performance. They, unfortunately, were the latter.

The costumes were all very beautiful and some of the quickest costume changes ever. Some of the choreography was fab, some was extremely naff and cheesy. All of the numbers with the nuns were beautiful, and the final scene had some of the most gorgeous use of lighting and staging that I've ever seen in a musical. Overall, thoroughly enjoyable, but the show was completely stolen by Margaret Preece and she definitely made it worth seeing.

Jackie.

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

Post #: 79
RE: Great news! - 20/7/2007 10:19:24 AM   
Base

Got tickets for Elling next month: http://www.theambassadors.com/trafalgarstudios/sp_p3873.html

Anyone else seen it???

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 80
RE: Great news! - 7/8/2007 1:55:44 PM   
naomi

Saw 'Wicked' last thursday night in the Apollo Victoria - and it was amazing, great set, wonderful cast and the songs were very good.

Only down side was the ending which is very different to the book - but I suppose you have to do that.

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 81
What have you seen at the Theatre recently? - 29/12/2007 5:21:02 PM   
the anomaly

I am surprised this does not have a section here at Empire. I thought I would bring this thread back to life hopefully.

I saw Stomp a few weeks ago. It was an excellent show. I think it's a great show to see for all ages and it's a great first trip to the theatre. This is not your typical musical. There is no singing for one thing.  Simply a group of talented artists who make music from anything. From sweeping up dust, shaking a bunch of matchsticks everything including the kitchen sink! A must see in my opinion.

Another show I have seen recently is Lord of the Rings. I simply had to see this as my only reference of the story is the films. So I was extremely interested to see how they managed to fit in what was 9+ hours of film or to be fair it was based off the books so 3 large books. Into 3 hours of theatre.

It was a spectacle to behold I can tell you. Costumes are great and the set was simply amazing. It was quite hard to put the film out of my head. Some actors seem to take the film as their inspiration and you could tell easily. Whilst others probably looked to the book.  Good performances the lady who played the elf queen who also sings some of the main music later was brilliant, ill have to find her name

It had its problems the pacing is a bit strange. It was a long start with quite a lot of singing which made me wonder how they would get through it all. A short middle and then a long end. Also I am glad I have seen the movies and read the hobbit as you can understand what's going on more easily.

I would say the final act based on the return of the king is the strongest it was extremely entertaining. Again I would recommend my advice would be to obviously not expect it to be the film on stage. Also refresh your memory of what happens (just get there on time and flick through the program ).
Overall it was a great night.  So what has everyone else seen recently?

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 29/12/2007 5:57:13 PM >

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 82
RE: The Theatre Thread - 29/12/2007 8:50:16 PM   
Chi Chi_ Chiuaua

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twizzle

It's not technically 'theatre' but I'm off to the Royal Opera House in London next Wednesday to see Swan Lake. I've never been to the ballet before and I'm really looking forward to it. And I get to 'posh' up for the evening.

Quoting my own post here just to say that the ballet was absolutely amazing. I was totally overwhelmed and overawed at the sheer artistry, athleticism and beauty that was displayed. And I actually found myself getting quite emotional more than once during the performance.

It was a truly fantastic experience and I had the most wonderful evening.

I went to see 'Swan Lake' just before christmas. It was the first time that I'd actually been to the ballet and even though it was only in the little theatre we have here, it was brilliant! Can't wait to go to the ballet again.

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 83
RE: The Theatre Thread - 30/12/2007 2:17:40 PM   
pixiedevil_pop

I've always loved The Blood Brothers, I think I've seen it around 6 times. I've been to see many things over the years and been in many amateur productions (Drama Btec). Haven't seen so much to my taste recently, although STOMP were fantastic. I've had to endure CBEEBIEs live, High School Musical and in April I'm off to see Lazytown Live in Cardiff. How I ache to catch Illyria at Tredegar House in the summer (Shakespeare company). But for now, I will help my little monkeys to gain a love for theatre and slowly introduce them to more interesting things, although a good panto is always worth a visit!
Hoping to get to London in the summer holidays for a few shows for my sister inlaw to bes hen weekend. I've never actually been to London  - EVER so am very excited at the prospect of catching some great shows. Although not sure which ones to go for....

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

(in reply to Chi Chi_ Chiuaua)
Post #: 84
RE: The Theatre Thread - 30/12/2007 6:10:16 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: pixiedevil_pop

I've always loved The Blood Brothers, I think I've seen it around 6 times. I've been to see many things over the years and been in many amateur productions (Drama Btec). Haven't seen so much to my taste recently, although STOMP were fantastic. I've had to endure CBEEBIEs live, High School Musical and in April I'm off to see Lazytown Live in Cardiff. How I ache to catch Illyria at Tredegar House in the summer (Shakespeare company). But for now, I will help my little monkeys to gain a love for theatre and slowly introduce them to more interesting things, although a good panto is always worth a visit!
Hoping to get to London in the summer holidays for a few shows for my sister inlaw to bes hen weekend. I've never actually been to London  - EVER so am very excited at the prospect of catching some great shows. Although not sure which ones to go for....

Take the little un's to see The Lion King. I saw that a few years ago, my cousin was in it as the young Nala. One of my favourites as I love the film too.

(in reply to pixiedevil_pop)
Post #: 85
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/1/2008 11:28:59 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

ORIGINAL: pixiedevil_pop

Where abouts do you do your BTEC my friend?

I recommend you go and see Glengarry Glen Ross at the apollo, its a brilliant piece of theatre with inspired performances from most of the leads, Mamet's writing can never be faulted in this case.

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to pixiedevil_pop)
Post #: 86
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/2/2008 2:39:24 PM   
the anomaly

Saw "Avenue Q" last night. A really good laugh with a nice realistic life message at the conclusion. The songs are stuck in my head now. I'll have to get the soundtrack.

I am not some theatre buff and this is another I would reccomend for those who don't think it's their thing or think it's just old fashioned guff. Think of the muppets or seasame street actually but aimed at adults and this is pretty much what you get.

I was sitting quite close so at first it was hard to concentrate on the puppets but after a few mins you get used to watching both the puppeters and their puppets and both offer great performances. My favourite characters were Trekkie Monster & Lucy the Slut.  Highily reccomended

Post #: 87
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/2/2008 6:49:40 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

I saw Avenue Q a couple of weeks ago: awesome, isn't it ?

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 88
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/2/2008 7:38:20 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I went to the theatre with my English class last week. We went to see the Perth Theatre production of Of Mice And Men. I really enjoyed it despite hating the novella. The cast were excellent and the sets worked so well. I don't get to go that often except when it's with school but I enjoy the theatre. Hopefully going to see Romeo And Juliet next month.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 89
RE: The Theatre Thread - 10/2/2008 8:51:32 PM   
pettsy

I don't get to the theatre as often as I'd like, that last time was last summer when I went to see The Woman In Black at The Fortune Theatre.  Just amazing.

< Message edited by pettsy -- 10/2/2008 9:19:32 PM >

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI