Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Theatre Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Theatre Thread - 1/7/2007 7:34:07 PM   
Jackie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

Car Man is coming to Cardiff at the end of next month.  I caught it in Nottingham a couple of years ago and I highly recommend it Jackie. 

I took my daughter tonight to a "Night at the West End".  Essentially it's performances of loads of different West End musicals songs performed by principals of the West End.  It was pretty damned good.  This was her first venture into "serious" theatre (bear in mind she's 6 next Saturday) and she was absolutely transfixed.  Next week I'm taking her to see Disney's Beauty & The Beast.  She's already asking me when I can take her to see Phantom.

How exciting! It's great when young 'uns discover the theatre, hehe.

By the way, I went to Via and I'm SURE your brother served me there!

Jackie.

http://dwightsheep.pocketses.net

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****
5. Grave of the Fireflies *****

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 31
RE: The Theatre Thread - 1/7/2007 10:19:46 PM   
captain jack harknes

I'm going to see Lee Mead in Joseph at the Adelphi Theatre in September and I can't wait!! It'll be my first west end musical, i'm so excited!!

"The arctic has no respect for fashion, Vince"

"I ain't no one's trophy."

"You got it, Allison. You got it RAW!"

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 32
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 1:16:49 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackie

quote:

Car Man is coming to Cardiff at the end of next month.  I caught it in Nottingham a couple of years ago and I highly recommend it Jackie. 

I took my daughter tonight to a "Night at the West End".  Essentially it's performances of loads of different West End musicals songs performed by principals of the West End.  It was pretty damned good.  This was her first venture into "serious" theatre (bear in mind she's 6 next Saturday) and she was absolutely transfixed.  Next week I'm taking her to see Disney's Beauty & The Beast.  She's already asking me when I can take her to see Phantom.

How exciting! It's great when young 'uns discover the theatre, hehe.

By the way, I went to Via and I'm SURE your brother served me there!

Jackie.

Totally off topic I know, but hey!  He more than likely did.  He's now working at Bar Risa/Jongleurs if you ever fancy a night down there.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 33
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 1:19:45 PM   
naomi

Going to see 'Wicked' in the westend at the start of August - really looking forward to it, never been to the westend so can anyone recommend any good pretheatre meals in the area?

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 34
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 3:43:32 PM   
Jackie

WICKED IS AMAZING! Sorry, just had to throw that one out there, lol.

There's a Wagamama's just round the corner near to Victoria (nearer to where Billy Elliot's playing). It's in this complex, so there's loads of stuff, there's also a La Tasca if you fancy some Spanish tapas.

You'll love Wicked - it's great!

Jackie.

EDIT: Funky, Bar Risa's fab, very cheap! Will probably pop in at some point when I get back to Notts and maybe this time even pluck up the courage to say 'er, I think I know your sister...'

< Message edited by Jackie -- 2/7/2007 3:44:23 PM >

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 35
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 10:20:20 PM   
Funkyrae

Now I've been interested in Wicked for some time now but hadn't heard any of the songs from it until Saturday night.  Both myself and my daughter fell in love with "Popular".  I've since found "Defy Gravity" on a video link.  I don't think I'll have any problem taking my daughter to that one at some point!  In fact I think it's a must.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 36
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 10:20:48 PM   
DaveNewman18

I love the Theatre, plan to go as much as possible over summer. Want to catch a few plays at the National and something by the mighty RSC, might even fit in some fringe shows as well. If anybody has any recommendations of plays on over summer, I'd be glad to hear them.

Twitter: @davenewmanexp
Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 37
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 10:23:09 PM   
Jackie

quote:

Now I've been interested in Wicked for some time now but hadn't heard any of the songs from it until Saturday night.  Both myself and my daughter fell in love with "Popular".  I've since found "Defy Gravity" on a video link.  I don't think I'll have any problem taking my daughter to that one at some point!  In fact I think it's a must.

I command you to go and watch it and love Defying Gravity with everything you're worth! And Popular is actually one of the funniest numbers to watch... ever.

You're only allowed to watch it when Will Young takes over the part of Fiyero, however Can you tell I'm a Wicked nut? I saw it twice with Idina Menzel, and got her autograph afterwards like a right little fangirl! My friend who saw it with me was so embarrassed to be seen with me, lol.

Jackie.

EDIT: Dave I'm trying to get up to the Fringe this year, but not sure if I'll be able to because of holidays and stuff. My old drama teacher Sarah Adams is doing a show there though, and my Uni (Notts) are doing a production of Through The Looking Glass, so keep an eye out for them!

< Message edited by Jackie -- 2/7/2007 10:24:34 PM >

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 38
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 10:49:58 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

Dave I'm trying to get up to the Fringe this year, but not sure if I'll be able to because of holidays and stuff. My old drama teacher Sarah Adams is doing a show there though, and my Uni (Notts) are doing a production of Through The Looking Glass, so keep an eye out for them!

Oo cool cool, where abouts is she doing it, I quite like the Finborough if you have ever been there, do you study anything related to Theatre at Uni or is more of a general interest/healthy passion kind of thing..?

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 39
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 10:54:39 PM   
Jackie

I do a drama module in my course, but it's more about how studying drama in performance affects your understanding of dramatic texts. Bit random, lol. It's really just a very un/healthy (depending on how you want to look at it!) passion of mine since I was wee and got cast in The Snow Penguin as the title role, hehe.

I'm not quite sure where Sarah's performing, but she does a very funny stand-up show with lots of different sketches and bits and bobs. All good fun

Jackie.

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

(in reply to DaveNewman18)
Post #: 40
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 10:57:37 PM   
DaveNewman18

Ah cool, sounds quite interesting. I will be entering the final year of a National Diploma in Performing Arts in September, and I have to know where I want to go after Henley (where I do my course) by the time I get back, quite scary, but I definately want to be at drama school, an aspiring actor you see, god I love the Theatre.

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 41
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 10:58:21 PM   
Twizzle

Got tix for 'Spamalot' on Weds 1st August. Should be a hoot, by all accounts.

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 42
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 11:05:55 PM   
DaveNewman18

I really want to see Spamalot, it sounds so hilarious, I love Monty Python so much.

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 43
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 11:07:40 PM   
Jackie

quote:

ORIGINAL: DaveNewman18

Ah cool, sounds quite interesting. I will be entering the final year of a National Diploma in Performing Arts in September, and I have to know where I want to go after Henley (where I do my course) by the time I get back, quite scary, but I definately want to be at drama school, an aspiring actor you see, god I love the Theatre.

Exciting stuff! I'd say definitely try for Guildhall amongst your choices - difficult to get into, but they run summer workshops as well which if you get into makes it easier to get into their full-time courses after. I want to go to a film school when I'm done at Uni (not for acting, though), but ho-hum, gonna wait and see what happens. Getting involved in Uni am-dram is good fun in the meantime, and you meet loaaads of people.

Twizzle - I want to see Spamalot! Was supposed to see it back in November, but there was a mix-up with tickets and saw Wicked instead!

Jackie.

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

Post #: 44
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 11:09:28 PM   
DaveNewman18

Yeh Guildhall is a choice of mine already mwaha.  

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 45
RE: The Theatre Thread - 2/7/2007 11:14:32 PM   
Jackie

Which other ones are you going for? Central? LAMDA and RADA?

Lordy, this is going rather OT! Er... theatre stuff... erm... YAY WICKED!

Jackie.

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

Post #: 46
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 1:49:03 PM   
naomi

quote:

If worried about the content - read the book, it is an amazing read and is a very good take on a popular story.

But Lucy I'm British!!!
- So are these!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 47
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 2:07:17 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

quote:

I hope it's still on when I get back to Notts or I'll miss out! Awesome that you danced in it Principle or ensemble? My momma's ex-Royal Ballet.

Jackie.

Principal. I danced Lana on and off before I was injured. It was by a mile the best thing I have ever danced, so sexy and intoxicating.

Wicked it brilliant, I took my nieces and they loved it. dont bother with Lord of the Rings tho! OMG long and dull, tho Jerome Pradon was excellent as always!

Big plug on mybehalf, I'm involved with InCelebration at the Duke of Yorks which opens on Thruday, please go see if you  get the chance
www.incelebration.co.uk 

< Message edited by troublemakerashleigh -- 3/7/2007 2:09:11 PM >

www.myspace.com/ashleighcassegrain
Got Facebook?

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 48
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 2:30:51 PM   
Jackie

I kinda wanted to see The Lord of the Rings, just to see what they did with it (and the set is apparently amazing, although someone got injured, and the costumes look incredible).

The book version of Wicked is very different to the musical. The musical is happy and they change a few bits. More play on the relationship between Elphaba and G(a)linda.

Jackie.

EDIT: How exciting, Ashleigh! Orlando Bloom... mhmmm... What are you doing in it?

< Message edited by Jackie -- 3/7/2007 2:32:47 PM >

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

(in reply to troublemakerashleigh)
Post #: 49
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 2:41:32 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

LOTR is very much a theatrical event without the content I felt. Its stunning to look at, the set, the costumes etc it's all very clever  but actually theres little substance to it, and the score isnt spectacular. Like I said tho Jerone Pradon stood out for me as Aragorn.

Ive actually known Orlandoa while and my mum is friends with the shows producer Sonia Friedman. She was given the oppertunity to invest in the play and decided not to but I did...worth every penny from the rehersals Ive seen he's gonna prove alot of ppl wrong in their opinions of him

Got Facebook?

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 50
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 3:00:09 PM   
Jackie

Well I'm around until the 24th July, so I'll drag my mother along with me to see it! Should be fun and I'm looking forward to seeing Orlando Bloom play a part that requires a little more of him.

Jackie.

EDIT: So excited, I just stumbled across this little gem: Click me, oh dear God, CLICK ME! - I'm SO going to see it!

< Message edited by Jackie -- 3/7/2007 3:06:52 PM >

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

(in reply to troublemakerashleigh)
Post #: 51
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 3:08:03 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

It's a worth a t6icket even if you're not a big fan of Orlando's. I saw Gaslight recently at The Old Vic, Rosamund Pike was superb

Got Facebook?

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 52
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 3:40:14 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

ORIGINAL: naomi

quote:

If worried about the content - read the book, it is an amazing read and is a very good take on a popular story.

I've read the book, and didn't enjoy it very much. It was nice to know the facts, but the journey to those facts was so tedious. However, as a musical lover, I'd probably like "Wicked", so hope to see it sometime!

Hooray for theatre!

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 53
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 3:42:02 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

Hairspray is also due to open here in the autumn (presumably to cash in on the film) I'm looking forward to that it's a great score!

Got Facebook?

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 54
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 3:45:08 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

quote:

ORIGINAL: Samuelpoet

King Lear   -  The Royal Shakespeare Company, Newcastle, Theatre Royal.

Friday 29th June 2007, was a night of spectacular marvel at Newcastle's Theatre Royal. As part of the celebration / anniversary of Shakespeares work which has spanned over the past year, the celebrations continue with King Lear brought to Newcastles infamous stage. In comparrison to previous RSC shows I have seen over recent years, this performance was astounding and completely moving. Everyone should know the story of King Lear, and for those who don't, well I will not divulge... all I will say is that this version by the RSC, was done bang to rights in comparison to that of the rather poor version I saw some six years ago directed and performed (lead role) by the egotistical Barry Rutter. However this lavish RSC production I witnessed purely by chance of a spare ticket, was an experience to be inspired by.

With a cross over of contrasting period costumes, simplistic sets, outstanding choreography, amazing special effects and Trevor Nunns direction, King Lear was  was just a dream to be part of, as an audience.

Sir Ian Mckellen played an outstanding Lear, with emotion and humour laying the phychological foundations to Lears state of mind. With the occasional member of the audience expecting to see either Magneto or Gandalf... I expected to see King Lear, and that is what I got. Lear's Fool played by Sylvester McCoy, proved a little more fragile as the great king. This isn't a negative by all means, I mean fragile as in state of mind, while The Fool opts to be the Kings backbone, away from the King, The Fool just crumbles, and is the means to his sad end.

What more is there to be said?

Other than this... The RSC... Simply genius!!!

Nice review there! I'd love to see McKellen do some Shakespeare (I saw a video of him doing Macbeth from the 70s/80s, and it wasn't that great), as I've heard he's become better with his age. Interesting to see your support of the RSC. I went to see an RSC production of Macbeth a few years ago in London, and it was some of the worst Shakespeare I'd ever seen. I'd never seen an RSC prodcution before, and was looking forward to it. I was so disappointed!

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 55
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 4:10:25 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: naomi

quote:

I wasn't really worried about the content to be honest.  My daughter is very mature for her age, it was more a question of whether or not she'd sit through the whole thing but I'm pretty certain that she will.

Cheers Jax, regular little Wicked factfile aren't you?   I have to say I was much the same about Rent each time I saw it.

That's me that is!

(in reply to naomi)
Post #: 56
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 6:17:02 PM   
Jackie

Haha, unfortunately yes, I am that much of a geek  Ask me anything about it, I can tell you everything. I am that sad.

Jackie.

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 57
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 6:24:20 PM   
Samuelpoet

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

quote:

Friday 29th June 2007, was a night of spectacular marvel at Newcastle's Theatre Royal. As part of the celebration / anniversary of Shakespeares work which has spanned over the past year, the celebrations continue with King Lear brought to Newcastles infamous stage. In comparrison to previous RSC shows I have seen over recent years, this performance was astounding and completely moving. Everyone should know the story of King Lear, and for those who don't, well I will not divulge... all I will say is that this version by the RSC, was done bang to rights in comparison to that of the rather poor version I saw some six years ago directed and performed (lead role) by the egotistical Barry Rutter. However this lavish RSC production I witnessed purely by chance of a spare ticket, was an experience to be inspired by.

With a cross over of contrasting period costumes, simplistic sets, outstanding choreography, amazing special effects and Trevor Nunns direction, King Lear was  was just a dream to be part of, as an audience.

Sir Ian Mckellen played an outstanding Lear, with emotion and humour laying the phychological foundations to Lears state of mind. With the occasional member of the audience expecting to see either Magneto or Gandalf... I expected to see King Lear, and that is what I got. Lear's Fool played by Sylvester McCoy, proved a little more fragile as the great king. This isn't a negative by all means, I mean fragile as in state of mind, while The Fool opts to be the Kings backbone, away from the King, The Fool just crumbles, and is the means to his sad end.

Nice review there! I'd love to see McKellen do some Shakespeare (I saw a video of him doing Macbeth from the 70s/80s, and it wasn't that great), as I've heard he's become better with his age. Interesting to see your support of the RSC. I went to see an RSC production of Macbeth a few years ago in London, and it was some of the worst Shakespeare I'd ever seen. I'd never seen an RSC prodcution before, and was looking forward to it. I was so disappointed!
Well previous RSC productions I have seen are Twelth Night, and of course Julius Ceasar... both quality performances, I would very much love to see the RSC do Macbeth... They did a while back with Greg somebody... can't remember his name... I should though because we had a Shakespearean work shop with him, when I did actor training!

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 58
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 6:49:39 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: i007_Bond_007i

quote:

Well previous RSC productions I have seen are Twelth Night, and of course Julius Ceasar... both quality performances, I would very much love to see the RSC do Macbeth... They did a while back with Greg somebody... can't remember his name... I should though because we had a Shakespearean work shop with him, when I did actor training!

I saw a televised version of the RSC's Macbeth recently, with Antony Sher in the titular role, it was a contemporary retelling that worked very well, it was awesome. Ive been in Macbeth before hehe, in a college play that receieved a great review in the local press , I got a little mention also hehe, not quite RSC standard but I think it was pretty good considering all the cast were students, only a limited number of them aim to progress to a degree in acting at drama school (myself included). Linkeage- http://www.henleycol.ac.uk/henleycollege/courses/arts/drama/reviews.htm

few pictures and stuff if you click back as well.

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Samuelpoet)
Post #: 59
RE: The Theatre Thread - 3/7/2007 6:52:36 PM   
DaveNewman18

quote:

Which other ones are you going for? Central? LAMDA and RADA?

Lordy, this is going rather OT! Er... theatre stuff... erm... YAY WICKED!

Jackie.

Central, Lamda, Bristol Old Vic, possibly Rada, Drama Centre maybe, Arts Ed.

Guildhall and Bristol are definately my favourites at the moment, RADA well...its RADA, but a lot of people have been telling me that they are too prestigious for their own good and seem to get by on just their name these days, I may audition for the experience n all, but they have the most dragged out audition process out of all the London drama schools.

Follow me if you dare ;)

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Theatre Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI