Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 16/4/2007 11:22:19 PM   
Timon

Showtime in the States so you may to erm...download it........not that i'm condoning such actions. Oh no, not me.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 31
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 18/4/2007 1:53:25 PM   
princessa

Just watched ep 2 - brilliant.  Well acted.  JRM is gr8 has Henty VIII, can't w8 2c ep3.

Does anyone have a link where i can watch ep 1 online?  I can't seem to find ep 1 online. Found a link but it freezes every two or 3 seconds GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

I have read in The Times and the Daily Mail that the BBC have just bought the Tudors.  The articles didn't say when they would be showing it.

< Message edited by princessa -- 22/4/2007 10:29:15 AM >

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 32
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 23/4/2007 1:54:26 PM   
Timon

Did anyone read the article in the Sunday Times about the show?

It's coming to BBC2 in a few months, will have 10 episodes this season and has already been commissioned for a second.

Woohoo.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 33
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 25/4/2007 9:25:41 AM   
Timon

Just watched the fourth episode and it's as good as the rest. James Frain has not joined the cast as Thomas Cromwell who the more historically minded among you will note as an important character in the Henry VIII's future.

One actor who is really impressing me is Henry Cavil - he's come a long way since The Count Of Monte Cristo and now looks completely different. The man is far too good looking and rugged for his own good but watching him in The Tudors, I can see how he got down to the final 2 for being the new James Bond. His subplot is Princess Margaret is interesting and passionate although Margaret's final actions in the episode are blatant artistic licence.

Also wasn't to sure about Henry VIII's wake up call to his mortality....I too was laughing at the king being stuck head first in a bog. Despite this only being the fourth episode, the series is in full swing.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 34
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 26/4/2007 4:08:36 PM   
nailpolish

I've seen the first 3 and not impressed.  It has a cheap Hallmark feel to it. Rhys Myers is badly mis cast.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 35
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 1/5/2007 9:41:56 AM   
Timon

Another good episode but they're playing merry hell with the chronology.

I understand the dramatic undertones of having Henry Fitzroy die but he was around 15-16 when he kicked the bucket and die almost a decade before Henry VIII did. He also died a good 8-9 years (i think) after the Sack of Rome, not the same day.

Again, I understand that by having him die this young gives Henry more of a reason to want to divorce Catherine and marry Anne but it's a bit all over the place.

Also I have no idea why the writers have put Thomas Tallis in this series seeing as he's merely a composer that was around for most the Tudor period. Seems a bit pointless.

(in reply to nailpolish)
Post #: 36
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 2/5/2007 12:48:49 AM   
Taffy

Really enjoying this series, all the more so because I don't know a great deal about the Tudors. I think the castings have been pretty spot on, any word on when this season will go to, timeline wise? I would imagine the producers would want to show all of Henrys wives and their resulting fates, but will Meyers stick around as the much fatter much uglier older Henry? Maybe gettin ahead of myself, were there any major battles fought during the reign of Henry? I can't think of any, and its the only downside I have of this show when comparing it to Rome, otherwise the first half of the season has been fantastic!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 37
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 8/5/2007 1:34:53 PM   
Timon

The latest episode was good.

Nice to see they're setting up George Bolyen and Wyatt for their inevitable fall from graces come Bolyen's demise.

Brandon and Henry's reconcile was well handled but once more it's Neil and Northam that are really showing these young actors how it should be done. They're both great in their roles as Wolsey and More.

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 38
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 8/5/2007 4:53:18 PM   
princessa

Loving the series, just seen episode 4.  But they are pissing me off with some of the historical inaccuracies!!!!

The whole thing with Princess Margaret and Charles Brandon ***(SPOILERS)*** they didn't get together until after she was widowed.  Why have her marry the King of Portugal when it was the King of France she married?  Blah!!!!

For more historical inaccuracies, they're on Wiki:

***WARNING*** might contain spoilers!!!!!!

Click here Historical inaccuracies

< Message edited by princessa -- 8/5/2007 4:58:23 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 39
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 14/5/2007 10:15:33 PM   
Taffy

Is there not an ep this week, nothing has been ahem "uploaded"

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 40
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 16/5/2007 12:26:16 PM   
Taffy

Finally caught ep7, couldn't help but feel it had a bit of a filler feel to it, didn't seem to have the feel of earlier episodes. That said I liked SPOILERS......

the scenes with Henry and his "demons" over whether God was punishing him for his relations with Anne Bolyn.

SPOILERS END......Meyers is brilliant as Tudor, and it will be interesting to see how the relationship with Wolsey and the chruch will heat up come the final episodes.

< Message edited by Taffy -- 16/5/2007 12:27:07 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 41
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 23/5/2007 3:11:45 PM   
Timon

Eps 7 & 8

What is with various characters seeing dead people? First Henry sees his 'demons' which was quite creepy but now one of the two court hussies is seeing her dead sister? Why?

The whole Tom Tallis storyline seems really superflorous and pointless compared to the rest of the show which is top notch.

Wolsey is worried about his position, More about the threat and spread of Lutheranism, Henry about his legacy and Brandon...well Brandon's just a dog. Watching him getting put in his place by the Queen of France was great.

Really getting entranced by Natalie Dormer's Boleyn. At first, I didn't think she was that appealling but like Henry I've fallen under her spell.

It's Katherine of Aragon though who gets all of the viewer's support and sympathy, a woman who is merely doing what she has to to get justice.

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 42
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 30/5/2007 3:43:56 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

The BBc are definatley showing the first series in the late summer or Autumn along with season 2 of Rome

www.myspace.com/ashleighcassegrain
Got Facebook?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 43
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 31/5/2007 3:48:25 PM   
furrybastard

I forgot to watch episode 8! It's all getting a bit tedious, to be honest. Just feels a little cheap and stretched, in terms of story. 

(in reply to troublemakerashleigh)
Post #: 44
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 6/6/2007 9:04:03 AM   
Barefoot Doctor

I'm now tempted to watch this because Peter O'Toole has joined the cast for Season 2, playing Pope Paul III in 7 episodes! But I don't really want to watch because I thought it was pretty poor...

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 45
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 6/6/2007 9:07:10 AM   
Timon

I'm still enjoying it..............

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 46
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 8/6/2007 3:37:57 PM   
furrybastard

Ep was an improvement and things are moving along nicely now. I have nine to watch, hopefully they can keep this semblance of quality for the finale.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 47
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 16/6/2007 8:30:11 PM   
furrybastard

The finale was pretty darn good, I must say. The weak elements are still in there but they can be ironed out in the second season, I think. Rhys Meyers could be replaced - he became very tiresome about halfway through season 1.

Wolsey's suicide was spectacularly handled. The montage preceding it was probably the highlight of the series. The sex scene between Henry and Anne in the forest was almost laughable but just about managed to remain credible. Not quite sure exactly what the significance of the end was - did he "get out" in time!?

Also confused about the significance of all the stuff concerning the singer guy and Anne's brother. Did they just need some secondary characters so as to fill up the nudity quota and have a token gay relationship?! Odd choices. I also think some of the CGI work looked awful and a lot of the show looked rather cheap and tacky.

Saying that, the montage with all the devils and "Wolsey" being sent down to hell was great - very creepy and effective. Not sure if I'm all that bothered about season 2 - I think I'll see what the general reaction to it is first. The fact that Peter O' Toole is going to play a part is great though and is quite a coup for the show.

Post #: 48
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 18/6/2007 6:48:30 PM   
Timon

Good finale with Sam Neil doing a sterling job but what the hell was all in that in the forest? I though for a moment I was watching a late night Channel 5 Shannon Tweed film for a moment.

Post #: 49
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 18/6/2007 7:01:14 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: troublemakerashleigh

The BBc are definatley showing the first series in the late summer or Autumn along with season 2 of Rome

Rome starts this Wednesday night and continues on Sunday

I've been waiting for this for ages.

Back on topic: they'll probably show Henry VIII after Rome, won't they?

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 50
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 18/6/2007 7:27:01 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

I think the Tudors is coming after Rome, I think it'll be alongside Heros in the autumn schedule. I love Rome but Its quite weird for me to watch cos I know James Purefoy, never looked at him the same way since series 1! I also worked on the first series of The Tudors, sadly my brother has done the second! Damn him! On a different note UKTV History is re showing series 1 of Rome on a Friday night and Sharpe Monday to Thursday at 9pm...forgot how good it was!

Got Facebook?

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 51
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 18/6/2007 7:54:51 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

I think the Tudors is coming after Rome, I think it'll be alongside Heros in the autumn schedule. I love Rome but Its quite weird for me to watch cos I know James Purefoy, never looked at him the same way since series 1! I also worked on the first series of The Tudors, sadly my brother has done the second! Damn him! On a different note UKTV History is re showing series 1 of Rome on a Friday night and Sharpe Monday to Thursday at 9pm...forgot how good it was!

You name dropper you

"What, again?"

Post #: 52
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 18/6/2007 8:01:01 PM   
troublemakerashleigh

Sorry, but it's true! Was a fundamental part of my old job (not namedropping but working with actors) and is a pretty much central to the new one! LOL

Got Facebook?

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 53
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 19/6/2007 9:32:36 AM   
discodave101

quote:

Ah Rome, all my mates tell me I should watch this. Is this friday the start of the repeats of series 1 or have I already missed the first few episodes?

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

Post #: 54
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 19/6/2007 10:46:47 AM   
troublemakerashleigh

It's coming up towards the end of Season 1 but actually if you get into those few episodes you can pretty much work out whats going on and lead into season 2 nicely

Got Facebook?

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 55
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 25/7/2007 11:35:20 PM   
Peppermint

There was a trailer for The Tudors after Heroes tonight, it looks pretty good.

I don't suppose anyone knows what date BBC 2 will start broadcasting it?

"What, again?"

Post #: 56
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 25/7/2007 11:39:25 PM   
mafyou

I saw that Peppermint. I'm intrigued by it but it hasn't grabbed me yet.

Et In Arcadia Ego

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 57
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 23/9/2007 7:30:32 PM   
Peppermint

I saw a trailer for this when I was awake at a ridiculously early hour this morning and it starts on BBC 2 on Friday the 5th of October

"What, again?"

(in reply to mafyou)
Post #: 58
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 23/9/2007 9:49:59 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I saw the trailer earlier, I can't wait!

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 59
RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History - 24/9/2007 6:45:36 PM   
Timon

It's very entertaining. I strongly recommend it.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Tudors - Sex, Violence, Swords And History Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI