Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do The Battle Of Britain

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do The Battle Of Britain Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do The Battle Of ... - 15/11/2005 5:35:01 PM   
Timon

Nothing like a bit of controversy....so there's nothing like Tom Cruise saving us Brits in The Battle of Britain. Will this be Top Gun II or a decent film?

Apparantly "The Few" will deal with Eagle Squadron, the group of American, Canadian, Polish, Aus volunteers that came to England to fight the Nazis and join the RAF.

Tom Cruise will star as one of these volunteers, an American called Billy Fisk who was shot down and killed during the Battle of Britain making him one of the first US casulties of the war. He also, according to various sources, never shot down a German plane - expect that to be changed.

It's already stirred up trouble. When Variety ran the article about the film, they said that "In 1940, expert German fighters had decimated the Royal Air Force to the point that there weren't enough pilots left to fly the Spitfire planes sitting idly in the hangars. Unable to rouse the US into action, a desperate Winston Churchill hatched a covert effort to recruit civilian American pilots to join the RAF."

Bill Bond, from the Battle of Britain Historical Society responded with "It's hilarious. Totally wrong. The whole bloody lot. They flew Hurricanes for a start. Recruited by Churchill? Crap. What a load of bloody rubbish. We did have a pilot shortage but not to that extent."

Nice. Expect the Daily Mail to have a field day.

< Message edited by Timon -- 5/3/2007 6:29:16 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 5/3/2007 6:22:00 PM   
Timon

I take it this is on Michael Mann's 'to do' list?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 2
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/3/2007 7:45:02 AM   
Lydia_H

Mann has sunk so much since Heat, it's a shame, never been a shortage of films proving without a doubt that Americans did everything in WW2, now he's hanging on the coattails of films like Flyboys?   Can be expected of Cruise but Mann is one of my favourite directors  

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/3/2007 8:09:25 AM   
doncopey1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lydia_H

Mann has sunk so much since Heat, it's a shame, never been a shortage of films proving without a doubt that Americans did everything in WW2, now he's hanging on the coattails of films like Flyboys?   Can be expected of Cruise but Mann is one of my favourite directors  

Mann has not sank since Heat at all, The Insider and Collateral are both masterpieces, and Miami Vice was an intelligent film with sensational cinematography, not the best but still good. I always look forward to a Michael Mann film, more importantly i always look forawrd to a Tom Cruise as he rarely makes bad film choices i look forawrd to this one. Hopefully its more Last of the Mohicans and the Keep as opposed to the slightly disappointing Ali.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 4
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/3/2007 8:32:30 AM   
Evessa

I'm sure this film will be great. However, wouldn't it be nice to see a British made war film with British actors/actressess? I mean quite a few of the cast of Band of Brothers were British anyway!

"I know, egg and my face were in alignment" -

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 5
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/3/2007 8:56:34 AM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: doncopey1

quote:

Mann has not sank since Heat at all, The Insider and Collateral are both masterpieces, and Miami Vice was an intelligent film with sensational cinematography, not the best but still good. I always look forward to a Michael Mann film, more importantly i always look forawrd to a Tom Cruise as he rarely makes bad film choices i look forawrd to this one. Hopefully its more Last of the Mohicans and the Keep as opposed to the slightly disappointing Ali.

Ali was awesome. Probably the most overlooked of Mann's films. It's actually my second favourite Mann film after Heat. Back to the thread, historical inaccuracies aside, Mann did manage to get a career-best performance out of Cruise in Collateral so a re-team is welcome.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 6
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/3/2007 9:06:52 AM   
Lydia_H

quote:

quote:

I forgot about the Insider ... but Collateral is just a kind of tourism effort for LA, and Miami Vice similarly is just lavished visually. Mann does make spectacular, beautiful looking films these days but there isn't really any substance, and a film about Yank hotshots fighting the good fight on behalf of the world sounds like an ominous turn. Hopefully it doesn't happen and some random hack has to take over the project.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 7
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/3/2007 10:11:56 AM   
Timon

quote:

I forgot about the Insider ... but Collateral is just a kind of tourism effort for LA

Bodies being thrown out of windows.

Shoot out in clubs.

Wolves roaming the streets.

Drug runners, hitmen and muggers roam the streets......

Well i know where I'm going for my next holiday.

I did actually notice that Empire now have an offical 'The Few' thread. Should this one continue (a la my Batman Future Films threads) or should it be shut now to prevent dual threadage?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 8
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/3/2007 11:03:42 PM   
Lydia_H

Who cares about that kind of stuff though?  Collateral isn't half as harrowing as you make it out to be

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 7/3/2007 8:47:05 AM   
doncopey1

quote:

Who cares about that kind of stuff though?  Collateral isn't half as harrowing as you make it out to be

The film is so simple and so brilliant i can't believe it hasn't been done before, I mean, 'a hitman forces a cab driver to take him to each target'. Sooo simple. Michael Mann's visual aesthetics provide the marvellous final touch. While his use of a digital camera was so refreshing. His visions of L.A are no different to Scorsese's or Woody Allens of New York, its close and personal. One of the finer films of the new millenium.

"Fake is as old as the Eden tree." Orson Welles

(in reply to Lydia_H)
Post #: 10
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 7/3/2007 11:14:41 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

quote:

The film is so simple and so brilliant i can't believe it hasn't been done before, I mean, 'a hitman forces a cab driver to take him to each target'. Sooo simple. Michael Mann's visual aesthetics provide the marvellous final touch. While his use of a digital camera was so refreshing. His visions of L.A are no different to Scorsese's or Woody Allens of New York, its close and personal. One of the finer films of the new millenium.

Dont forget the haunting/ethrilling score and accompanying music to Collateral.

Back on track I'm not not entirely sure about a Battle of Britain film made by Mann, despite him being one of my favourite directors. I dont have a problem with films being made about the various foreign pilots involved with the BOB, its just the bullshit flag waving that usually accompanys the Americans view of things. Hopefully Manns above stuff like that.

Has anyone seen Deep Blue World, a 2002 film about Czech pilots who where exiled to England and joined a specil wing of the RAF?

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to doncopey1)
Post #: 11
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 7/3/2007 11:17:39 AM   
Timon

Well like I said, this is on his 'to do' list along with 'Gates Of Fire' a historically accurate telling of The Battle Of Thermopalyae and Spartan culture.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 12
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/7/2007 12:08:52 PM   
Timon

Looking at the trailer for Lions for Lambs and Rocktanski's thread reminding me of this project, I can't help but think that Tom Cruise is a little too old to be a WWII aviator. Especially one who was in his 20's when he was killed.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/7/2007 12:23:59 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm sorry, but casting Cruise would be all wrong, and that's what REALLY fucks me off about war films sometimes - they get the biggest names with the best looks to play the main parts. 

Utter.  Shite.

These guys were ORDINARY people, just like you and I, except they had the skill to do EXTRAordinary things, such as handling a 350mph fighter plane.  Sure, there were some good-looking chaps, but that didn't mean they were the best pilots!!!

If this does go ahead with Cruise (or some other pretty boy actor in the lead), I won't be too impressed.  However, if they do the real fighter pilots justice, then I might change my mind. 

That's if it even gets made, of course.....

And yes, Cruise would be FAR too old to play an RAF pilot in the Battle of Britain, where the average age was something like 21.....

< Message edited by DazDaMan -- 6/7/2007 12:25:41 PM >

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/7/2007 1:28:06 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

I'm sorry, but casting Cruise would be all wrong, and that's what REALLY fucks me off about war films sometimes - they get the biggest names with the best looks to play the main parts. 

Utter.  Shite.

These guys were ORDINARY people, just like you and I, except they had the skill to do EXTRAordinary things, such as handling a 350mph fighter plane.  Sure, there were some good-looking chaps, but that didn't mean they were the best pilots!!!

If this does go ahead with Cruise (or some other pretty boy actor in the lead), I won't be too impressed.  However, if they do the real fighter pilots justice, then I might change my mind. 

And yes, Cruise would be FAR too old to play an RAF pilot in the Battle of Britain, where the average age was something like 21.....

Actually the guys in the RAF were all upper class in general.  The ordinary lads worked ground support duties.

The polish lads were all salt of the earth but no sure about the Yanks. Don't think they were working class though.

Anyhow Cruise is a good actor as long as it's not the normal American "were class save the world" tripe script

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 15
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 7/7/2007 10:22:02 AM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: DazDaMan

Utter.  Shite.

Actually the guys in the RAF were all upper class in general.  The ordinary lads worked ground support duties.

The polish lads were all salt of the earth but no sure about the Yanks. Don't think they were working class though.

Anyhow Cruise is a good actor as long as it's not the normal American "were class save the world" tripe script

Ummm... No.  MANY of the guys who flew during the Battle of Britain were sergeant pilots, who were NOT upper class at all.  Propaganda and all that, however, would lead us to believe otherwise, creating a myth that a bunch of carefree young playboys were ridding the skies of the Nazi menace. 

The Yank pilots, before the USA officially came into the war, were volunteers who sacrificed A LOT in order to fight - their US citizenships, for example.

Cruis may well be a good actor, but he's still completely wrong for the part of a Battle of Britain fighter pilot!!!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 16
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 10/7/2007 7:06:29 PM   
Willetts

Tom Cruise in battle of britain! No way!!!!!!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 17
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do The Battle... - 20/7/2007 11:31:06 AM   
Taffy

According to wiki now this has no lead actor, so hopefully Cruise has no further part. I honestly cant believe that Mann would do a film of this nature twisting the truth so much, unless he wants it to bomb outside of the US. But at the end of the day as long as US studios are fronting the cash for US directed films then we are going to get this sort of film, seems to me there is a huge trent for over patriotic US films (shooter anyone?) out there at the moment and this would fit the bill perfecty.

Having said all that, I hope Mann does make it, and doesnt over do the good old yank saving struggling johnny brit, becuase it could be really interesting. You want a excellent, thoruogh account of BoB, watch Battle of Britain, no yanks in sight

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do The Battle... - 27/7/2007 3:52:52 PM   
DazDaMan

Well, my copy of Alex Kershaw's book, "The Few", arrived on my doorstep this morning.  I've been looking forward to reading this for a while, and apparently one of my aviation-minded friends has already read it and says it's "fantastic"....

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 19
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 27/7/2007 5:16:27 PM   
leroythemasochist

Picture the scene:
A dimly lit studio office.  An oversized oak desk sits in front of floor to ceiling windows.  The view outside is one of the Hollywood sign.
Behind the desk sits a large man, wid shoulders, fat cigar, big bald head.
He is the Head Honcho, Mr Big Kahuna.  This guy 'makes things happen in da movies.'
A shorter than average man, dressed entirely in black lounges in a black leather chair facing the big guy.  This man has dark hair and VERY VERY WHITE TEETH!
Suddenly the little guy jumps onto his chair and starts wooping like the maniac that the whole of tinsel town secretly know he is.

Little Guy:
Holy Shit!  YEAH!! WHOO YEAH!  ALRIGHT! YEAH!  BATTLE O' BRITAIN!!  WHERE DO I SIGN??
Big Guy:
There's a few things we gotta get sorted out first...(this guy don't have to shout)
Little Guy:
Sure. Watdayawantme to do?
Big Guy:(thinks for a second)
Can you tone down the fuckin crazy shit?
Little Guy:
Huh?
Big Guy:
(Sighs)
Can you be normal?  Y'know like the Brits.
Little Guy:
Who?
Big Guy:
The BRITS.  The Fuckin Brits who fought in the Battle o' Fuckin Britain.
Little Guy:
(furrows his brow - or at least tries to but his last botox injection was only about 3 hours ago - so it's a big ask).
Shit.  I guess so.  If you think it'd help.
Big Guy:
It'd help.  And stop with the Scientology shit will ya?
Little Guy:
(Looking seriously pissed off now)
Anything else?  Can I do anything in this movie that I usually do?
Big Guy:
(A broad smile spreads across his generous, jowly features)
Sure kid. Just make sure you shoot down every German plane you see and fuck some pretty English broad. We'll make a fortune.
Little Guy:
Sounds awesome. I getta re-write history so we're, like, the heroes and shit?
Big Guy:
Hey, it's a given kid.  Give some big speech to all the Brits about how if they really wanna win this thing, they gotta start thinkin' like us Yanks.  They gotta get off their Limey asses and fight Goddamit!!

And there you have it.

Hollywood does the Battle of Britain.

But I agree Private Ryan and Band of Brothers were fucking amazing.

But then, they were Spielberg so what do you expect?

'Truck? What truck?!'
'I got vision, the rest of the world wears bi-focals.'
'I'm heading up north. I hear there's waves no man's ever seen'
'There's no i in team, but there is an i in meat pie.'

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/8/2007 12:17:15 PM   
DazDaMan

I'm hearing unconfirmed rumours that the film has been cancelled....

(in reply to leroythemasochist)
Post #: 21
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 6/8/2007 4:36:35 PM   
leroythemasochist

thank fuck for that.

cruise probably saw Star Stories the other night.
class.

'Truck? What truck?!'
'I got vision, the rest of the world wears bi-focals.'
'I'm heading up north. I hear there's waves no man's ever seen'
'There's no i in team, but there is an i in meat pie.'

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 22
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 7/8/2007 7:09:47 PM   
sanchia

I thought the film was still a go only Tom Cruise was out?

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 23
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 8/8/2007 4:47:50 PM   
DazDaMan

Who knows?  Because of the people I know in warbird circles, you'd think one of them would have heard something about someone scouting around, looking for an airworthy Hurricane, Spitfire or Me109 by now, given the proposed release date....

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 24
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 8/8/2007 5:32:31 PM   
danbo1138

tom cruise can fuck off.how dare he piss on the memory of the battle of britain.by all means focus on the poles or the aussies,but that shit can piss off.how about a film showing the brits helping the canadian militia defending canada from the invading yanks,AND WINNING 3 YEARS IN A ROW.....tossers,stuff like this boils my blood.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 25
RE: The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do "The ... - 8/8/2007 5:35:00 PM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: leroythemasochist

thank fuck for that.

cruise probably saw Star Stories the other night.
class.
 whoooo,top show.kidman was ace

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Few - Michael Mann And Tom Cruise Do The Battle Of Britain Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI