Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower? - 14/2/2007 9:16:31 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
drools - 14/2/2007 9:16:31 AM   
Hanna

I'd love to see these books brought to the screen. It'll be bloody tough though. My excitement for movies of both Cell, and especially The Mist knows no bounds.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: The Dark Tower - 14/2/2007 9:45:39 AM   
GandalfTheGrey

Excellent news!!! I new it would happen sooner or later. There are so many great ideas in this epic series, I just hope it is done well. This could be really disappointing if not handled carefully.
I am currently just about to start on the fifth book so am not entirely sure how the saga ends but the first four books are brilliant.
JJ Abrams is a good choice. Lost is a great drama series with some real tension etc and I also enjoyed Mission Impossible 3.
I was actually hoping that this would be made into a film when I started reading them.
Very excited about this one!

(in reply to Hanna)
Post #: 3
Excitement of magnificient proportions!!! - 14/2/2007 9:54:47 AM   
wopdang

Words can not express the joy that has just bounced off of me reading this article. Empire you have made my day, no you have made my week!!!

Either as a mini-series or a series of movies this would be incredible, and J J Abrams has turned everything he touches to gold, I have every faith that he would make this work.

These books bring the purest form of joy to my heart, and I do not believe they are unfilmable at all, whenever I read them I picture it as film, and even have made my own mental notes as to how I would go about writing a screenplay for it. Now I can halt this crazy quest cos I have every single ounce of belief that JJ Abrams can make this work.

The only thing is they might need shifting around a bit. Wizard and Glass should become a series of flashbacks throughout the series rather than one whole film/ series, as it does jar the flow a little bit. Also Eddie and Susannah should be introduced towards the beginning as well, maybe living their respective New York lives in juxtaposition with Rolands journey through the desert.

I have no doubt however it is done will be incredible. Now we just need a remake of the Stand (with decent hair-cuts) and the long rumoured Talisman and Black House to to find a loving director and I will be the happiest Stephen King fan around.

Finally does anyone know what Stephen King book the blond woman (Julianne?) is reading in the book club in the first episode of series 3 of lost.

My idea is it being The Stand, or Hearts in Atlantis, but I can;t figure it out.

Oh and another finally, the article mentions the parallels between Lost and the Dark Tower - anybody care to enlighten me as to what they are? Except maybe the wheelchair.

Thankyou again Empire for sharing this news. My feet are bouncing with joy.

< Message edited by wopdang -- 14/2/2007 9:57:00 AM >

Post #: 4
Bugger! - 14/2/2007 10:43:35 AM   
Vambo5

I was looking forward to his take on Star Trek! Anyone know who is in the chair now?

Post #: 5
- 14/2/2007 11:15:30 AM   
Silvertouch

JJ Abrams has, through merely two tv shows and one film, become one of my top five directors. And i mean ever. I've never even read any of the Dark Tower books. But i'm desperately looking forwards to anything epically sagaesque he has to throw our way. Hurrah!

Post #: 6
Oh, I'll be in line for this...... - 14/2/2007 12:03:15 PM   
the ageless stranger

....yeah, I'm a fan (the name's a clue if you've read the books) and JJ Abrams is a legend as far as I'm concerned. I think the books could be absolutely amazing on-screen if done correctly, but there are a couple of things, especially in the last three books that I'd wonder how they're going to handle. Mainly, King being a character? I think it'd come off as silly on-screen. Still, I've wanted to see this done for a long time, so bring it on......

Post #: 7
Oh, I'll be in line for this...... - 14/2/2007 12:10:47 PM   
the ageless stranger

....yeah, I'm a fan (the name's a clue if you've read the books) and JJ Abrams is a legend as far as I'm concerned. I think the books could be absolutely amazing on-screen if done correctly, but there are a couple of things, especially in the last three books that I'd wonder how they're going to handle. Mainly, King being a character? I think it'd come off as silly on-screen. Still, I've wanted to see this done for a long time, so bring it on......

Post #: 8
RE: Oh, I'll be in line for this...... - 14/2/2007 12:58:42 PM   
wopdang

Well I reckon if anyone could handle the appearance of King then it would be Abrams, he is a bit of a Post-Modern genius.

It will be strange though, also the references to all his other books, will they work in this world? Maybe they will invent a writer to use instead of Stephen King. Who knows. I'll be very keen to find out. I've only known about this film a few hours and I am already horrendously impatient.

You must not drink and bake

(in reply to the ageless stranger)
Post #: 9
So excited... - 14/2/2007 1:18:23 PM   
papalazarou

... just let out a bit of wee. Love these books but Clooney is not a good choice for Roland if you ask me.......

Post #: 10
RE: So excited... - 14/2/2007 1:59:36 PM   
Dave B

Brilliant books but Abrams is a strange choice. I enjoy Alias and Mission Impossible 3 but his style seems to be all flash and he struggles with the more character driven moments. Anyway I hope its good and Guy Pearce would be great as Roland.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to papalazarou)
Post #: 11
Holding Palaver - 14/2/2007 2:11:27 PM   
His Dudeness

I have talked alot about this in the last few years, my heart says that whatever is made that there will be someone who is upset as there will be alot of stuff on the cutting room floor. I'm not being pessimistic, as dare I say it I'm more excited about this project than I was about LOTR.....well maybe just the same :) whatever the outcome it's going to be a long time before we see it, my favorite of all the books is definitely The Drawing of the Three........BEST SEQUEL EVER!!!

Post #: 12
RE: So excited... - 14/2/2007 2:19:11 PM   
the ageless stranger

Yeah, I agree, Clooney wouldn't be right for Roland; the Gunslinger needs to be more of a tortured character. Pearce would probably be a good choice.

As for the Man in Black/Flagg character, I've been thinking for a while now that Sawyer from Lost would be a good choice (bit of a coincidence that Abrams has now been named) . He's got the perfect mix of charm and darkness.

Stand And Be True

(in reply to papalazarou)
Post #: 13
It'll be a toughie.... - 14/2/2007 2:45:18 PM   
Rock Lobster!

I'm not a big JJ fan-Guilermo Del Toro would be a great choice for this. I've always imagined Pearce as Roland and Jason Lee as Eddie but the Flagg character is a strange one-in The Stand he sounds like a young Cuckoo's Nest looking Jack Nicholson but in The Dark Tower he always sounded different-more like Willem Dafoe or someone more handsome but sinister-Tmothy Olyphant maybe? Anywho I'm hanging in for a re-vamp of the Stand after that Mick Garris shite a thon, with Nathon Fillion as Stu and Zooey Deschanel as Fran....you know it makes sense....

Post #: 14
RE: It'll be a toughie.... - 14/2/2007 7:31:01 PM   
djsmokingjam

JJ Abrams isn't a terrible choice, but I think the Tower deserves better nonetheless.  Richard Kelly expressed a great deal of interest at one point - read at http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=18334 - and I think he would be a better fit.  Yes, better even than Frank Darabont and Guillermo Del Toro.

But in any case, dear sweet Jesus they need to cut out the "meta-narrative" aspects of the last five books.  It won't work on film, and though they were always gripping reads (such are King's prose talents that rarely translate to film), it still came off as totally stupid.  And the climactic showdown in Book 7 (though not the very ending - I liked that very much) was lame-o.

But The Drawing Of The Three and The Wastelands - easily the best of the series - have so many awesome images waiting to put onscreen.  Jack Mort running through the NY subway on fire as Rolands runs to the door, Jake inside the house that comes alive and tries to eat him, the invisible train flying in the air, the Scarface-style shootout between Roland, Eddie and the mobsters... *salivates*

Oh, and I ripped this off from another website, but Robert Burke is my choice for Roland.  Well, maybe. He's a little old now, but watch him in Dust Devil from 1992 and he's got the Roland look down to a tee.

[image]http://www.cinemarati.org/files/DUST02.jpg[/image]

Video evidence:
A DVD promo for Dust Devil - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrPSuTEISpg
The opening scene from Hal Hartley's Simple Men, also from '92 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awmf-yLpUQ4
Burke's hilarious cameo in Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_6vUje3wLk

(in reply to Rock Lobster!)
Post #: 15
RE: It'll be a toughie.... - 14/2/2007 7:32:05 PM   
djsmokingjam

Oh, and I totally agree with whoever said this needs to be a TV series, lasting two or three seasons.

(in reply to djsmokingjam)
Post #: 16
RE: It'll be a toughie.... - 15/2/2007 9:29:49 AM   
wopdang

If it's a TV series then it's gotta be 7 seasons, that's the way American Networks go: Sopranos, 24, Lost... They all gotta have those 7 series.

The suggestions above for Roland are good, but I always see Roland as this older guy, I think as King himself always pictured him as Clint Eastwood. As Clint obviously wouldn't do, maybe Tommy Lee Jones? He's got that weathered old cowboy look down to a tee.

As for Eddie, again,  Jason Lee is an excellent choice, but Nathan Fillion could pull it off as well I reckon, see what he looks like with a bit of fluff on his face.

The ageless Stranger, whoever said Sawyer from Lost again has it spot on. Although I reckon Jim Carrey could add something to it.

or maybe not.

Hopefully someone will find a role for Kate from Lost, that girl needs to be cast in things until the end of time. reeeow.

(in reply to djsmokingjam)
Post #: 17
RE: It'll be a toughie.... - 15/2/2007 12:38:23 PM   
Zoobie

Whoever said Clooney? Urgh, nooooo!
I'd like to see Clive Owen as Roland, think he would be a great choice.

(in reply to wopdang)
Post #: 18
RE: It'll be a toughie.... - 15/2/2007 1:49:16 PM   
GandalfTheGrey

Kurt Russel for Roland?

(in reply to Zoobie)
Post #: 19
RE: It'll be a toughie.... - 15/2/2007 4:29:04 PM   
wopdang

Kurt Russell sounds good. Though as this most likely looks like a TV series, might need people who would do TV.

What about Kiefer Sutherland?

"I've got to save the Dark Tower, Thousands of lives are at Stake"

"You've got to help me find the rose. Thousands of lives are at stake"

"You've forgotten the face of your father, er, Thousands of lives are at stake"

et so on...

(in reply to GandalfTheGrey)
Post #: 20
The Tower in Lost? - 16/2/2007 5:41:26 PM   
nathaneb

"JJ Abrams – a huge King fan who has studded many references to the Tower series into his TV show, Lost" ??? I think I'd remember it if lobstrosities came ashore and ate Locke or did I miss the episode where Jack cuts through the jungle and discovers Blaine the monorail challenging the Others to a riddle contest? Anybody want to back this up with some references?

Post #: 21
- 17/2/2007 11:09:20 AM   
tejo

RUTGER HAUER FOR ROLAND!!!

Post #: 22
RE: JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower? - 17/2/2007 8:23:20 PM   
neil.1138

Clooney for Rolland, eh????
Noooooo!!!!!!!
As a young Roland how about - Jake Gyllenhall?
The older Roland should be a Clint Eastwood type - Micheal Wincott? Or not.
Black/Flagg - Willem Dafoe?
Suzanna - Rosario Dawson?
Eddie - Sam Rockwell?
All I can say is - please keep the characters in the book as close to the people you imagine as possible. 

Post #: 23
RE: JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower? - 18/2/2007 9:19:51 PM   
chewbacasnapsak

Its gonna suck and you know it.

If you love the books and invested as much time into reading the series as I have (I read the first one in 1987), you know that whatever they do will be disapointing. That said i'll still watch it and hope.

Well at least Mick Garris isn't involved.

"who'd pay a million dollars to have me killed"
"jealous husbands, outraged chefs, humiliated tailors...the list is endless"

(in reply to neil.1138)
Post #: 24
RE: JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower? - 19/2/2007 2:14:34 AM   
Glorfindel

I was really excited when I saw this, being a DT fan. A TV series sounds more sensible to me, they'd have to rely on the first adaptation, The Gunslinger-which is slightly wishy-washy-being a hit in order to insure future sequels. Also, it's much lnger than The Lord Of The Rings, and hasn't got such a broad appeal. But I really hope something good comes of it. Fingers crossed (the ones I have left, dud-a-chock? Little in joke there!).

Oh yeah, I remember a review of Halloween 5 in Cinefantastique years ago pointing out the mysterious gunslinger character in that seeming  to be a DT reference. As a friend of mine pointed out, wouldn't Viggo Mortensen be ideal as Roland?!

< Message edited by Glorfindel -- 19/2/2007 2:22:28 AM >

The Hobbit Film - The way it was meant to be or not at all.

(in reply to chewbacasnapsak)
Post #: 25
RE: JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower? - 20/2/2007 10:56:35 AM   
GandalfTheGrey

Another actor for Roland (Although a bit younger) Hugh Jackman.
I think he would be good in this role.

Still reading Wolves of the Callah at the moment.
I think the first four books will be easier to translate into film/TV.
The last three appear to be quite different.

(in reply to Glorfindel)
Post #: 26
RE: JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower? - 3/3/2007 1:33:58 AM   
Glorfindel

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born Marvel comic is also getting a lot of attention from fans. I posted some links to stuff about the New York Comic Con's Dark Tower panel, including an AICN interview with Stephen King and talk about the proposed movie, in this thread in The Comic Shack section!

< Message edited by Glorfindel -- 3/3/2007 1:55:28 AM >

The Hobbit Film - The way it was meant to be or not at all.

(in reply to GandalfTheGrey)
Post #: 27
Roland of Gilead - 31/3/2009 2:25:53 PM   
lycanthrope

What about Roland from Grangehill to play Roland, Susanah can be played by her that used to call him Ro-Laand, Zammo as Eddie Dean. Bouncer from neighbours can play Oy.

Post #: 28
Roland of Gilead - 31/3/2009 2:26:07 PM   
lycanthrope

What about Roland from Grangehill to play Roland, Susanah can be played by her that used to call him Ro-Laand, Zammo as Eddie Dean. Bouncer from neighbours can play Oy.

Post #: 29
Slightly unrelated - 31/5/2009 5:32:46 PM   
RLTShirley

I heard a rumour that George Romero is is making a film version of "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon" starring (and i hope this parts not true) Dakota Fanning, does any one know if this is true? also i firmly beleive that some things should be left as they are dark tower being one of them

Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> JJ Abrams To Direct The Dark Tower? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI