Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Bionic Woman

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Bionic Woman Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Bionic Woman - 26/5/2007 10:56:21 PM   
Shifty Bench

Her deaf sister is played by Mae Whitman, who was the little girl in Independence Day and One Fine Day and maybe other films with 'day' in the title.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 61
RE: The Bionic Woman - 26/5/2007 10:59:50 PM   
Filmic Joe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Her deaf sister is played by Mae Whitman, who was the little girl in Independence Day and One Fine Day and maybe other films with 'day' in the title.

More importantly, her deaf sister is Anne.  Her?

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 62
RE: The Bionic Woman - 26/5/2007 11:47:45 PM   
Mason Verger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Hey, chicks fighting- I'm in.

Her accent seems ok but whats with the pauses, who's her acting coach, Tony Blair? Plus, her stunt double was in those clips more than she was  

Great to see Miguel Ferrer in a show I would actually watch.

The accent was surprisely ok-ish, despite the Shatner-esque delivery. Couldn't they find a real actress though?

Can she act? Who cares! 

< Message edited by Mason Verger -- 27/6/2007 12:28:34 AM >

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 63
RE: The Bionic Woman - 26/5/2007 11:53:22 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmic Joe

quote:

Sorry, but....huh?

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 64
RE: The Bionic Woman - 27/5/2007 10:31:55 AM   
Filmic Joe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Filmic Joe

quote:

Sorry, but....huh?

From Arrested Development.  Honestly, when I first saw her in the trailer, that was my reaction.  Ah well.

People are sponges, waiting to be soaked in the knowledge of life.

"You Crazy, Wonderful Zombie!"

Post #: 65
RE: The Bionic Woman - 27/5/2007 10:40:06 AM   
Shifty Bench

Well, it's obviously not that much more important, I've never seen Arrested Development.

(in reply to Filmic Joe)
Post #: 66
RE: The Bionic Woman - 27/5/2007 8:51:47 PM   
Caster

Ah yes, Anne.  She was in Desperate Housewives too.  Anyone else thinking her deafness will have some bearing on future episode plots?

Post #: 67
RE: The Bionic Woman - 7/8/2007 12:06:30 AM   
nomimalone

Just watched the first episode of this and, while it was by no means brilliant, it seems promising in a Dark Angel kind of way. I thought Michelle Ryan's accent was pretty good and I liked Katee Sackhoff's character. Decent enough to make me look forward to episode 2.

< Message edited by nomimalone -- 7/8/2007 12:08:31 AM >

(in reply to Caster)
Post #: 68
RE: The Bionic Woman - 7/8/2007 12:31:32 PM   
Captain Black

After a bit of a panning in the new shows thread I decided against this, but caved in the end out of sheer curiosity. The worst thing about the pilot is that it's really, really dull. If you've ever seen a direct to DVD movie about some kind of advanced human you'll know what to expect.

Ryan is largely unremarkable (though in fairness she seemed better in this than in Jekyll) meaning that Sackhoff gets to steal the show; stopping just short of some serious scenery chewing. I hoped Ferrer would deliver more too, but even he seemed a bit hamstrung by the lack of inventiveness in the script.

I think these days that a network show really needs behind the scenes people with unwavering creative vision. This is vague and uncertain, with elements that they're trying to force in that they don't really know what to do with and are just hoping they can use them down the line. As an example I'm sure the deaf sister was going to be used to juxtapose Jamie's new found bionic hearing, but as she's been dropped (a shame, that was an element I expected to hate and ended up finding it one of the better pilots) from series proper they've obviously decided to just discard that. The effects have similar problems. They are atrocious to be blunt, though more in terms of conception than execution, such as when she's running alongside the car.

In summary, although it's not terrible it's difficult to see how they can amend things without major reshoots between now and the air date.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 69
RE: The Bionic Woman - 7/8/2007 2:04:54 PM   
princessa

I agree with you Captain Black.  Yes the pilot has a feel of being ameturish however i don't think it was that bad.  The story however was disjointed.  One minute she was freaked out by her new Bionic parts, the next she's jumping rooftops!!!!!  It felt like a two hour pilot which the producers were forced to cut down.

We need to see jaime grow as a character - for example how does she come to learn to use her bionic powers?  Where does she learn her fighting skills.  She can't just adjust overnight like she did in the pilot.  I understand that Jaime is supposed to be an ordinary woman who has something extraordinary happen to her, but to be quite frank - she was dull.  You can't have a witty and charismatic baddie (Katee Sackoff - excellent as Sarah Corvus) and then have a dull heroine.  We're are supposed to root for Jaime afterall.

You are right, there'll have to re-shoot quite a bit of this; however i have read that they have spent something like $6 to $8 million on this already!!!!  IDK if that is true or not.

The special effects are awful.  I thought the deaf sister was ok but felt like more of an appendage...the new sister is played by Lucy Hale, is no longer deaf and is a computer hacker **rolls eyes**.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/bionic-woman/bionic-woman-more-casting-chan-8389.aspx - news on Lucy Hale casting.

Saying all of this I am still really looking forward to this – it debuts in America on 28th September (I think) – can't wait.

Just reading that NBC realise that the pilot is not up to scratch and are refilming the dull moments and the scenes involving the sister.  Hopefully it will be improved.

Here's some Bionic Woman news:

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/805/805797p1.html - Michelle Ryan interview

http://uk.media.tv.ign.com/media/859/859156/vids_1.html - some videos (including a downloadable interview with Michelle).

http://uk.tv.ign.com/articles/807/807967p1.html - Comic Con report

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=22899 – Bionic Woman at Comic Con

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/battlestar-galactica/katee-sackhoff-officially-bion-8414.aspx - Katee Sackoff's recurring role.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/2007-comicon/2007-comicon-bionic-woman-pilo-8792.aspx - Bionic Woman at Comic Con.

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/bionic-woman/bionic-woman-michelle-ryan-no-8938.aspx - Michelle Ryan article.

< Message edited by princessa -- 7/8/2007 2:06:35 PM >

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 70
RE: The Bionic Woman - 7/8/2007 3:45:44 PM   
nomimalone

quote:

ORIGINAL: princessa
Just reading that NBC realise that the pilot is not up to scratch and are refilming the dull moments and the scenes involving the sister.  Hopefully it will be improved.

Yeah, I read that too. Will be very interesting to compare the two. The series has a lot of potential, let's hope they try to realise it.

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 71
RE: The Bionic Woman - 8/8/2007 8:16:49 PM   
sanchia

Has Michelle Ryan always had such a big flat face or am I just too close to the screen when watching the episode?

The unfinished effects on the released/leaked episode are distracting, such as the shaky unfinished bionics overlayed on Ryans arm which has blue dots attached to the knuckles.  The running scene has to be unfinished or it would get laughed off screen as it reminded me of one of those things you made at primary school where you drew legs on a circle of paper and attatched it to a drawn body and spun it to make it look like it was running.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 8/8/2007 8:49:25 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 72
RE: The Bionic Woman - 10/8/2007 12:46:44 PM   
Timon

Christ, it's like a BSG reunion. I counted Starbuck, Tyrol and the lawyer from Season 3.

Were they all bored with their holiday post Season 3 or just looking for more work?

Either way, Bionic Woman was pretty unremarkable. I liked Michelle Ryan. She seemed decent enough in the role but had nothing to do. Everything moved at such a pace that any build up or tension was gone. One moment she was shocked at her abilities, next she was jumping from roof top to roof top a la Spiderman.

Sackhoff was great value for money but i can see her overshadowing Ryan unless she's either toned down or Ryan gets more to do.

The love interest was dull, the secret government agency subplot a case of 'seen it before' but I did like the cast they seemed to have pulled together.

Was that really Thomasn Kretchsman?! And whatshisface from Robocop?

Eitherway, it could be better and reshoots are definetely needed and better FX (notably the running scenes) need to be implemented.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 73
RE: The Bionic Woman - 10/8/2007 5:48:18 PM   
Blunderbuss

Having not seen the pilot I'm not best qualified to comment on its relative merits.  Still, I'm not sure that this is a show best suited to the 'Eick Approach' (i.e. dark, heavy on the emotional character drama, lacking in any real humour, etc a la BSG).  The concept just seems too lightweight to support that sort of approach.  I have a feeling that based on the title auds will be expecting a light, Smallville style show; not a dark, gloomy, rain soaked angst-ridden tale.  If that's what they get then I can see them turning off v. quickly...

Or I could just be talking utter bobbins...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 74
RE: The Bionic Woman - 11/8/2007 5:26:06 AM   
livila

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Was that really Thomasn Kretchsman?!

Yep, the only reason I watched it It's his 4th pilot.
I'm interested to see where they're going to take this... not a great deal to hold my attention.
Bionic Woman herself was a bit ordinary. Perhaps that's the point.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 75
RE: The Bionic Woman - 7/9/2007 1:50:59 PM   
princessa

Thought i would bump up this thread with some news:

Glen Morgan has left Bionic Woman as Executive Producer - due to creative differences...mmm.  I wonder if he wanted to make the show more glossy?  Because i have a feeling that this will remain dark and edgy...

http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN0639874320070907

The actress Crystal Lowe has joined the cast as Jaime's best friend:

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117971246.html?categoryid=28&cs=1&query=crystal+lowe

Apparantly it is one of the most anticpated shows of the new TV season - roll on September 26th - I CAN'T WAIT!!!

(in reply to livila)
Post #: 76
RE: The Bionic Woman - 14/9/2007 4:07:46 PM   
Zaphod121

Does anybody know if the revised version of the pilot is available to D/L yet?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 77
RE: The Bionic Woman - 14/9/2007 4:13:57 PM   
Shifty Bench

I'd imagine it won't be till it has aired in the US. Could be wrong though.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 78
RE: The Bionic Woman - 15/9/2007 12:42:14 PM   
xmagic_dustx

She'll always be Zoe "YOU AIN'T MY MUVVAAAAAA!" "YES I AYYYYYYYYMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!" Slater to me. :]

"I've killed a Hell of a lot of people to get to this point."

Post #: 79
RE: The Bionic Woman - 20/9/2007 4:45:49 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Yeah but where are the Fembots? You can`t have a Bionic Woman show without the Fembots!

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 80
RE: The Bionic Woman - 28/9/2007 1:52:56 PM   
princessa

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zaphod121

Does anybody know if the revised version of the pilot is available to D/L yet?

Yes it is...

Just watched it yesterday.  What can i say...not much of an improvement on the pre-air pilot.  The new sister is quite good.  But the same problems remain.  I do not care much for Jaime.  She is dull and lacks charisma.  It's not MR's fault.  But the script for this is bad.  Katee Sackoff steals every scene she is in and i am really interested to know why she went bad.  The Asian guy in this (sorry cannot remember his name) is pretty good; his character is not someone i would want to mess with.  The rest of the actors were ok, but they have little to work with.  You can spend all the money in the world on FX (it doesn't look like they've spent much on this), but if you don't have a solid script and a convincing storyline then people just aren't going to buy it.

It debuted with 13.9 million viewers - not bad.  Hopefully next weeks ep will be much better...did anyone else watch it?

They need to make Jaime much more interesting

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 81
RE: The Bionic Woman - 28/9/2007 2:04:37 PM   
Jim

quote:

ORIGINAL: xmagic_dustx

She'll always be Zoe "YOU AIN'T MY MUVVAAAAAA!" "YES I AYYYYYYYYMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!" Slater to me. :]

Haha, I know! It's so weird to see all the professional American publicity shots of her. I suppose I should be used to it already (this show was announced ages ago) but I'd forgotten about it until now.

"Oh shit, swamp leeches! Everybody! Check for swamp leeches and pull them off! ...nobody else got hit? I'm the only one? What's the deal?"

(in reply to xmagic_dustx)
Post #: 82
RE: The Bionic Woman - 28/9/2007 5:54:00 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

I hope there are plenty of Fembots (killer female androids!) in the new series. I`ve only watched the clips on youtube without sound as I`m at work so I don`t know if the bad girl assain is a Fembot or not. It could do really well. Makes me wish I`d said hello to Michelle Ryan when I saw her in Tescos Enfield Town once (she comes from Enfield) and then I could have said I`ve met the real Bionic Woman in Tesco`s!

Awesome, I was born in the same town as the Bionic Woman!

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 83
RE: The Bionic Woman - 28/9/2007 6:03:39 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: princessa

Just watched it yesterday.  What can i say...not much of an improvement on the pre-air pilot.  The new sister is quite good.  But the same problems remain.  I do not care much for Jaime.  She is dull and lacks charisma.  It's not MR's fault.  But the script for this is bad.  Katee Sackoff steals every scene she is in and i am really interested to know why she went bad.  The Asian guy in this (sorry cannot remember his name) is pretty good; his character is not someone i would want to mess with.  The rest of the actors were ok, but they have little to work with.  You can spend all the money in the world on FX (it doesn't look like they've spent much on this), but if you don't have a solid script and a convincing storyline then people just aren't going to buy it.

It debuted with 13.9 million viewers - not bad.  Hopefully next weeks ep will be much better...did anyone else watch it?

They need to make Jaime much more interesting

I did and I agree with everything you have said. It's still a piece of cack but it does actually have potential and hopefully it will improve in the upcoming episodes. 

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 84
RE: The Bionic Woman - 4/10/2007 2:07:04 PM   
Captain Black

I think episode 2 is a big improvement. Still not great, but definitely better in most respects.

As a character, Jamie's still really flat, but both Miguel Ferrer and Molly Price got better material to work with. One thing I think they have nailed is the tone. It's serious without taking itself too seriously (such as when Ferrer is explaining the organisation and just trails off when it becomes really self important) with such a preposterous premise, and there were some good one-liners throughout without them being too forced. They need to sort out how they're actually portraying her 'bionic' abilities (it's all a bit Smallville still: tone it down and it'll work wonders) as they still look a bit daft. Apathetic about the change with the sister (Becca is it?); she's probably superfluous but I can live with that for now. Probably still too many plot threads and not enough focus, but it's getting there.

Good to see Kevin Rankin in this too (he was the ear technician chappy) as he's fantastic in Friday Night Lights.

Best cameo though: Battlestar Pegasus makes an appearance during its dying breath.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 85
RE: The Bionic Woman - 4/10/2007 2:22:32 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Not read that last post, as not watched ep 2 yet (tonight hopefully), but the first episode was ok. I just read this thread now and wondered what you were all talking about as I hadn't noticed the sister was deaf. Then I realised that was some previous draft. The irony when her sister said to her 'you're not a real mom' just reminded me of that episode. I don't even frickin watch EastEnders, but somehow caught that episode.

Anyhoo, here's hoping episode 2 can show some improvement, as at the moment it's just about brainless entertainment. Just about.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 86
RE: The Bionic Woman - 6/10/2007 12:01:01 PM   
Zaphod121

Ep 2 was definitely better, especially the second half, some nice stuff with the sister and some cool action too. As far as her ability's go, I think her bionic eye is the best, but so far, as new shows go, Joureyman is better.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 87
RE: The Bionic Woman - 7/10/2007 11:18:48 AM   
princessa

Episode 2 is an improvement but it still has a long way to go.  The second half was definitely better than the first.  MR's performance is slowly improving and she is definitely better when she has to show Jaime's vulnerable side.  She still can't act tough though.  The sister is unecessary, you can tell that they don't know what to do with her.  Also i commend them for trying to inject some humour, but the 'funny' scenes just made me cringe.  Like the bit where Jaime was drunk at the bar or when they were trying to fix her hearing.  Saying all that it's getting better, however the viewing figures are down by nearly 3 million....

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 88
RE: The Bionic Woman - 9/10/2007 2:14:51 AM   
frankj

I thought I was going to be all contentious by saying that episode two was faaar better...!

Michelle Ryan still seems to be the weakest link, but I genuinely believe that's borne of the different acting styles employed here and the US.

She's come from an environment where realism is encouraged, and 'less is more'.
She portrays Jamie as a Real Person, whilst all around her are having their fun with 'more is more'!

If the season gets a full commission I think you'll see her conform to the american idea of a "TV Actress". Alas.

"And if they try to stop us Seaweed, we'll call the end of a lacy pea..."

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 89
RE: The Bionic Woman - 13/10/2007 10:39:32 AM   
princessa

Just watched ep3.  Much better than the previous episodes.  It was actually quite fun to watch.  The sister is growing on me, they've obviously decided to get rid of the angs't angle.  Still i don't know how long she'll last since the character really doesn't have that much to do.

The script definitely needs improving the beginning scene where Jaime got a call from Miguel Ferrer's character and she pretends that she speaking to a friend, because she is with her sister was just awful.  You can tell that they are trying to inject some humour but it's just not working for me.

Michelle Ryan still can't play the tough chick and it's painful to watch her try.  The scriptwriters need to spend as much time and energy developing Jaime Sommers character as they have with Sarah Corvus.  It's never good when a supporting character is more interesting than the lead.  MR can act she's just limited with what she has been given.

I liked the scenes with Jaime and Sarah - especially the scene in the parking lot. 

Katee Sackoff is the best thing in this but it helps that Sarah Corvus is the only character that's well written - so far.  At least the writers have written an intriguing back story for her.  Sarah lost her sister in a car accident and she has a very twisted relationship with Will's father.  I really want to find out why she went bad. 

This episode was pretty good but BW has still got along way to go.  But it seems like it's slowly going somewhere.

BTW - this ep was written by David Eick.  According to AICN - the pilot was written by Laeta Kalogridis who left; that was re-written by Jason Smilovic who has now left and Jason Katims of Friday Night Lights is now mainly in charge of writing. 

Here is the link:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34394

So now it's just David and Jason - the behind the scenes stuff is so interesting...i wonder whose really in charge?

More news according to Michael Ausiello of TV Guide: 

Here is the link: http://www.tvguide.com/Ask-Ausiello YOU HAVE TO SCROLL DOWN A BIT THOUGH...

quote:

Question:
What did you think of the second episode of Bionic Woman? — Joel
Ausiello: I know I'm in the minority here, but I rather enjoyed it. I expected to hate it based on what I was hearing from my Bionic moles — that it was basically a couple of episodes spliced together. According to sources, that whole Idaho disaster was originally supposed to be the primary focus of Episode 3, but it instead became a subplot of Episode 2. So if it felt a little rushed, that's why. Also, I'm hearing that the Bionic writers are getting a little worried because, per my spy, "the entire Friday Night Lights staff is slowly taking over. They're hoping FNL does well in the ratings so they'll go back to working on their show."

I don't know how much of this is true or not...

As for the ratings - it was 10 to 11 million according to what i've read.  Looks like BW will get a second season...:)

(in reply to frankj)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Bionic Woman Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI