Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy.....

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 12/2/2007 11:20:40 PM   
Timon

Over the years, there have been many pretenders to Indiana Jones' throne of "Ultimate Action Adventurer" - Jack T. Colton (Romancing The Stone), Rick O' Connell (The Mummy), Benjamin Gates (National Treasure) yet despite decent box office, none of these characters have captured the hearts of the audience quite like Indiana.

For me, there was one character that came close but encountered several obstacles. Not only did this character's film only just earn back its budget but it's been slapped with a lawsuit that has basically closed on the door on sequels. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Dirk Pitt.

Created by producer of airport fodder reading material Clive Cussler, Dirk's journey to the big screen has been a torteous one. His first cinematic outing Raise The Titanic flopped so badly that Cussler vowed that he'd never allow another film to be made of his beloved creation. Then Paramount showed up on his door with a bag of cash. Cussler relented but on the condition he got final script approval....Paramount agreed and then promptly ignored him.

Now this may seem harsh but Cussler has a reputation for being difficult and disapproved of the more ridiculous elements of his book being removed (eg. Abraham Lincoln's body is found on the Ironclad in the Sahara). Paramount refused to wait for him to sign off on the script and made the film none the less. Cussler was not happy and has taken the studio to court and looks set to win essentially killing the franchise and it's a pity because as a franchise, it started off well.....

For those not in the know, Dirk Pitt (Matthew McConaghy) is a former Airforce commandor (Navy Seal in the film) who now works for NUMA (National Underwater Marine Association) with his life long friend, Al Giordino (Steve Zahn). Under the supervision of Admiral Sandecker (William H Macy), the duo find treasure, uncover mysteries, get dragged into evil plots and defeat ner-do wells.

Director Breck Eisner realised that the core of the books is the friendship between Pitt and Giordino and McConaghy and Zahn perfectly sell the relationship perfecly, displaying the bickering and trust that comes from a lifelong friendship be it when they're arguing about past fishing trips or engaged in gun fights.

Sahara was meant to be one of Paramounts tent pole releases and cost $150 million. Now despite all the exotic locales, boat chases, car chases and helicoptor chases you don't exactly see all the money on the big screen. Yes, it's action packed but get the feeling someone definetly left the production with a few houses and cars under their belt. Personally I think ex Disney head Michael Eisner was helping himself to his son's budget to set himself up for early retirement.

The film itself is great fun. Pure summer popcorn with Al and Dirk teaming up with a member of the WHO (Hollywood's favourite rent-an-exotic chick Penolpe Cruz) to uncover a mysterious plague in Africa whilst getting caught up in the plans of an evil African warlord (Lenny James) and a phantom ironclad from the US Civil War. It's ludicrous, it's action packed and it packs one of the best scores in the past five years. Clint Mansell's action packed score is amazing combining the beats of a Bond score with the heroic themes of an Indiana Jones soundtrack. Even if you don't like the film, admit the score rocks.

It's a shame that the lawsuit means that it's unlikely we'll see a sequel as Dirk Pitt was one of best successors to Indy's title. He was smart and educated, a smoothie with the ladies, heroic and delivered a decent right hook to evil henchmen. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait for Indy IV.

Oh and if this has tempted you to get the DVD - get the R1 one. Much better.

< Message edited by Timon -- 8/10/2007 10:16:39 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 12/2/2007 11:25:52 PM   
*emz6*

i quite enjoyed it aswell actually. i thought it was gonna be shite but not at all.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 12/2/2007 11:28:18 PM   
nickeye

I really enjoyed it as well, interesting to hear whats happening to it. It didnt seem to be made as one of many though, but i wouldnt mind!

Dead Until May 24th.... Ouch

I miss my 360...

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 3
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 12:05:55 AM   
Cuchulainn

Yeah,Sahara was great fun...and I'm not a big fan of McConnaghey or Cruz...
A far cry from the Indiana Jones epics,but that's beside the point...A bloody good adventure movie...and they don't come around that often...

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to nickeye)
Post #: 4
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 5:14:47 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I love this film. It's fun, pure and simple. A good cast, witty script, decent action and an excellent score.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 5
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 9:29:51 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: nickeye

I really enjoyed it as well, interesting to hear whats happening to it. It didnt seem to be made as one of many though, but i wouldnt mind!

Yeah it was meant to be the first of a franchise with Sahara being picked as it was seen as the most 'accesible'. Other adventures in the series included;

Treasure - Dirk and Al get caught in a conflict with a Mexican tribal leader and the Alexandria Library

Dragon - Japanese buisnessmen and his samurai henchmen smuggle nukes into America in cars

Atlantis Rising - Neo-Nazis seek to flood the world

etc

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to nickeye)
Post #: 6
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 9:41:24 AM   
sanchia

It is a great popcorn movie.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I especially enjoyed the manner in which Zahns character was not the typical sidekick and in many ways got to be as heroic as McConnaghey.  In fact Zahn provided a far more enjoyable and better acted character than McConnaghey who to me was a bit two dimensional.  This is the reason I have forgiven Zahn for National Security (but never Lawrence. Oh no, never Lawrence).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:05:05 AM   
Fivefur

first post without a swear word?????

Here goes

Are you FUCKING serious?

There will NEVER be a new Indy - whilst enjoyable Sahara does not even touch Indy's fedora. The Dirk Pitt character is to modern for me, Indy has that old 30's rougishness that you just cant beat.

I swore didn't i - sorry!

(note to self, must try harder!)

Satipo: Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here.
Indiana: That's what scares me.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:11:18 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I always thought Sahara was the beginning of bringing back the fun into action movies, just like Indy. You can see the silly side of humanity, whilst still being on the edge of your seat as the actor is hanging on the edge of a cliff (or something similar).

What makes this film for me is the banter between Dirk and Rudi. Just good, old-fashioned comradery... plus blowing stuff up. Brilliant.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 9
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:33:01 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I always thought Sahara was the beginning of bringing back the fun into action movies, just like Indy. You can see the silly side of humanity, whilst still being on the edge of your seat as the actor is hanging on the edge of a cliff (or something similar).

What makes this film for me is the banter between Dirk and Rudi. Just good, old-fashioned comradery... plus blowing stuff up. Brilliant.

Yeh, I agree the comradery was good, but still nowhere near Indy levels...........I mean Marion Ravenwood v Rudi? come ON!!!!!!!

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 10
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:33:15 AM   
Timon

quote:

'I just shot someone with a flaregun.'

'Cool!'

Post #: 11
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:43:15 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

'I just shot someone with a flaregun.'

'Cool!'

Damn you Timon, how do you work so fast, and with pictures too? aint you got a day job? Nice one tho!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 12
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:44:14 AM   
Timon

Yep, I'm at work at the moment. Work for a magazine publishing firm so in front of a computer for most of the day.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 13
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:45:08 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fivefur

quote:

Yeh, I agree the comradery was good, but still nowhere near Indy levels...........I mean Marion Ravenwood v Rudi? come ON!!!!!!!

I think they had the added bonus of sexual tension there though

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 14
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:47:44 AM   
Fivefur

ya think?

but in a comradery shoot em up..................... WHISKY?.................. kinda way tho

Post #: 15
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:48:50 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

Yep, I'm at work at the moment. Work for a magazine publishing firm so in front of a computer for most of the day.

so you should actually do some work then....earn your wages dude , earn em!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 10:52:26 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

quote:

I'm at work and have nothing to do. Still paying me for some reason though

It's not an easy comparison to make between Dirk and Indy anyway. They are just both big-time dusty adventures, which are pleasing to the eye and contain quick wit.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 17
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 11:00:13 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's not an easy comparison to make between Dirk and Indy anyway. They are just both big-time dusty adventures, which are pleasing to the eye and contain quick wit.

(she's at work and has nothing to do......................!!!!!!!!)

Damn Jess, can I have your job?

As I said earlier,, there is NO comparison, Indy rules by the preverbial mile, its like sayin Escape to Freedom is up there with Steve and the boys gettin the hell outa dodge .....sorry The Great Escape.

Post #: 18
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 11:03:39 AM   
Timon

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll have you know I'm working very hard. Could you guys sort out the advertising for four major BBC magazines at the same time? I think not!

Post #: 19
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 11:10:17 AM   
Fivefur

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll have you know I'm working very hard. Could you guys sort out the advertising for four major BBC magazines at the same time? I think not!

Probably!!!!! multitask is my middle name!!!!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 20
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 1:57:14 PM   
Timon

The latest regarding the lawsuit from BBC News

Author Cussler 'damaged by movie'

The career of best-selling novelist Clive Cussler was almost destroyed by the failure of the film adaptation of his book Sahara, a court has been told.

Mr Cussler is suing production company Crusader Entertainment, claiming their story changes ruined the 2005 movie.

His lawyer Bert Fields told Los Angeles Superior Court that Mr Cussler was now unable to get film deals.

Crusader Entertainment is counter-suing the author, claiming he misled them about how many books he had sold.

It was hoped that Sahara would be the start of a film franchise involving the character Dirk Pitt, played by Matthew McConaughey, who features in 19 of Mr Cussler's 32 novels.

Story 'gutted'

But the movie, which also starred Penelope Cruz, lost up to $70m (35.7m), Mr Fields said.

He said Crusader Entertainment removed certain plotlines and ignored the author's suggested improvements, breaking an agreement to give Mr Cussler creative control of the adaptation.

"This was not the dramatic, gripping story Clive Cussler told," Mr Fields told the court. "As a result, the audience just didn't care.

"They tore the heart out of the story. The picture died, lost all of this money because they gutted it."

'No final say'

An opening statement by Crusader Entertainment's lawyers said Mr Cussler's rights of approval changed to a lesser consultation role once a director was hired.

"He [Mr Cussler] doesn't get final say," the company's lawyer Alan Rader said.

"Every single complaint Mr Cussler has made about changes to the screenplay happened after the director was hired."

Crusader Entertainment claim Mr Cussler misled the film-makers by saying he had sold 100 million books. They say he has sold less than half that amount.

The company is owned by billionaire Philip Anschutz, who also owns the largest US cinema chain, Regal, London's Millennium Dome and the Los Angeles Galaxy soccer franchise.

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 21
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 2:04:48 PM   
Fivefur

Jeeeezzzzzzzzz

I never new all this was going on.

That said, seems to me like Cussler's got a bug up his ass.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 22
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 13/2/2007 5:45:52 PM   
tommyjarvis

I thought Sahara was great fun, a nice antidote to the dark, depressing blockbusters we've been getting of late. It's a shame it failed cos there's loads of books that could have been adapted after it. The only other one I've read is Dragon, which was quite good as well.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 23
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 14/2/2007 2:13:42 AM   
Sphinx

Right I watched this film with a sceptical eye - blame the damn catchphrase on the cover I mean AS IF! However despite the fact that the first 30 minutes was like watching what might have happened if Tom Selleck did do Indiana Jones I was unexpectedly impressed.

Loved The chase scene and the whole Panama prep
Loved AJ, the poor bugger was left to handle everything!!

and yes any comaderie is good comarderies and dirk and A.J's was pretty good!

Meet The New Boss...Same As The Old Boss

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 24
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 14/2/2007 9:14:07 AM   
Timon

Just wondering if anyone saw (and if so, what did you think of it) the under performing Viggo Mortensen starrer Hidalgo. I really wanted to see it but the bad reviews put me off. Might get the DVD. Should I?

(in reply to Sphinx)
Post #: 25
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 14/2/2007 9:19:18 AM   
sanchia

quote:

Author Cussler 'damaged by movie'

The career of best-selling novelist Clive Cussler was almost destroyed by the failure of the film adaptation of his book Sahara, a court has been told.

To be honest I had never even heard of him before this film came out and if, as mentioned above, he wanted Abe Lincolns body to be on the Ironclad it sounds like they had good reason to cut him out of the process.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 14/2/2007 11:05:07 AM   
Timon

There's an extensive article on the legal problems and greivances of both sides HERE

Makes for very interesting reading. Cussler sounds like a right royal prick. I've known the guy was a bit of a hack writer with a ego the size of a boat (who else includes himself in their own books?!) but what he did and is doing is just stupid.

< Message edited by Timon -- 14/2/2007 12:06:09 PM >

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 27
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 14/2/2007 12:20:30 PM   
sanchia

Interesting reading indeed. It sounds like he has a major ego and couldn't cope with the studio altering his work in any way to transfer it to screen (humming loudly when he refused to talk to them any further makes him sound very immature for a 75 year old).  Also demanding an actor with green eyes and black hair certainly limits the pool to draw from.  His attitude towards certain ethnic groups also sounds pretty dodgy if true.

At the same time the studio seems to have acted in a pretty underhand manner with lots of dodgy deals going on.  Half the budget looks like it went on writers.  Is there any writer in Hollywood who didn't work on this film?  With regards to the claim they have lost $150m on this project I find that a bit laughable.  It cost 130m to make.  Had a box office of $68,671,925 in the US and $50,568,426 in the international market.  Even with marketing that surely wouldn't make a loss of $150m and DVD sales would recoup a percentage of the loss as well.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 14/2/2007 12:21:03 PM   
svgbdgr

Meh. I saw it in the cinema and thought it was okay, but a million miles from being fit to stroke Indy's fedora. Bought it on DVD a couple of months ago, and my opinion hasn't changed. It's alright, but hardly worth getting excited about. Much prefer National Security myself.
Zahn was absolutely brilliant in it though. And I enjoyed Macy's performance (but that's a given)

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 29
RE: Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... - 14/2/2007 12:33:11 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: svgbdgr

Much prefer National Security myself.

I hope you mean the Nick Cage film National Treasure (with a sequel on the way) and not the true horror of National Security starring Martin Lawrence and a slumming Steve Zahn.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to svgbdgr)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Sahara - He Could Have Been The New Indy..... Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI