Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Really Over-rated

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Really Over-rated Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Really Over-rated - 13/2/2013 1:35:11 PM   
Vitamin F

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1lent B0b

This so-called classic hasn't dated well rubber sharks and frightfullly clear cliches don't really do it anymore.

Are you real? I can't comprehend any real person thinking that.

quote:

Don't get me started on the sequels

No one wants to start you on the sequels; they have jack shit to do with the original.

Ah, the old 'rubber shark' criticism cliche...and on a reputable film forum too! Someone should initiate a "Bruce's Law" for this crime, akin to Godwin's.
If all you can see when you watch Jaws is a rubber shark then you're not really qualified to comment further, or somefink like that...

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 61
RE: Really Over-rated - 13/2/2013 2:09:00 PM   
film man aidy

Are we really even arguing over this? The film is a stone cold classic. Everyone who thinks otherwise can go play with their soulless CG franchises.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 62
Jaws - 13/2/2013 5:41:26 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vitamin F

Ah, the old 'rubber shark' criticism cliche...and on a reputable film forum too! Someone should initiate a "Bruce's Law" for this crime, akin to Godwin's.

Love it.
I've spent years defending Bruce, if I had a pound for the "Yeah, it's good, but the shark looks rubbish" I'd be a few million pounds over the entire budget.

Read The Jaws Log, or better still, Memories from Martha's Vineyard (the best film book I've ever read) and you'll appreciate just how difficult and utterly brilliant the mechanical shark was. If I were to have one complaint about the shark in the film, it's the Ron and Valerie Taylor footage of the REAL shark, just after Hooper leaves the cage, that jars more than the mechanical Bruce.
And as we all know, if the shark had been perfect and worked every time, the film would not have turned out as it did!

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 63
RE: JAWS OVERATED. - 17/2/2013 3:52:58 PM   
Private Hudson

Along with ET, Raiders and Close Enounters, Jaws is my favourite Spielberg movies. Back when he made movies to entertain us all rather than try to win Oscars.

I still feel we have really got two Spielbergs. Pre and Post Schindler's List. I prefer the man who made the family movies rather than the guy who gave us Amistad and the like.

I used to be a massive Spielberg fan, but for me James Cameron has eclipsed him. Quality not quantity.

Back to the movie...

Jaws is simply a superb movie. I don't care if the shark looks fake, movies are not about special effects. They are about story and characters. My favourite character in this is the Chief. Roy Scheider was one of my favourite actors and he is brilliant in this as the landlubber who ends up on Amity Island and in the middle of a summer season shark feeding frenzy.

John Williams' score is superb (even though his main theme did rip off a Khachaturian theme which I will have to dig out on my CD to tell you the name) and the script is also fantastic.

I obsessed over this movie when I was a little boy even though I didn't see it until years after its release. I even bottled it when it came on TV!

For anyone wanting to make a summer blockbuster Jaws is a great template to follow. It has frights, humour, tension and suspense and foreboding. It may be in reality a 50s Creature Feature updated to the 1970s, but there is nothing wrong with that.

I couldn't love anyone who doesn't love this movie.

PS I also love the underrated Jaws 2!

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 64
RE: Jaws - 17/2/2013 4:08:04 PM   
rich

Jaws remains a classic. The characters, the score, the humour mixed in with the gross out moments, it's all good.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 65
Coming Soon... - 30/7/2013 11:00:57 AM   
BJORNtheBLU

N/A

< Message edited by BJORNtheBLU -- 31/7/2013 9:32:51 AM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 66
"We're going to need a bigger boat." - 31/10/2013 6:07:14 AM   
movienut707

One of the most frightening and vastly entertaining suspensers ever committed to celluloid, Jaws remains among the greatest films ever made... it may be Spielberg's finest.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 1/11/2013 1:33:03 AM >

Post #: 67
"We're going to need a bigger boat." - 31/10/2013 6:07:15 AM   
movienut707

One of the most frightening and vastly entertaining suspensers ever committed to celluloid, Jaws remains among the greatest films ever made... it may be Spielberg's finest.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 1/11/2013 1:32:30 AM >

Post #: 68
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Really Over-rated Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI