Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: JAWS OVERATED.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: JAWS OVERATED. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: JAWS OVERATED. - 10/10/2008 5:32:57 PM   
wgamador

Wow.........."Benchley's book was crap?"

I thought the book (and i hate to read) was way better than the film and i loved the movie!!!

Tech_Noir.....
You hated The Descent, so you probably think Jaws sucked too, huh, is this why you never sat through the entire thing??

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 31
RE: JAWS OVERATED. - 10/10/2008 5:35:42 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: wgamador

Tech_Noir.....
You hated The Descent, so you probably think Jaws sucked too, huh, is this why you never sat through the entire thing??

I've seen bits and piece of Jaws growing up and those bits and piece were a trillion times  better than The Descent (aka standard British horror film using lots of a gore and blood to make up for lack of story and interesting characters).

(in reply to wgamador)
Post #: 32
RE: JAWS OVERATED. - 10/10/2008 5:45:00 PM   
Rhubarb

It's quite badly paced, I liked it much more as a kid than I do now.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 33
RE: JAWS OVERATED. - 10/10/2008 5:57:14 PM   
kargon

The one scene. You know which one if you've seen it, made me jump like no other has since.

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 34
RE: JAWS OVERATED. - 10/10/2008 5:59:50 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

Confession time, I don't think I've sat through the original Jaws all the way through.

Tech.  I used to respect you...

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 35
RE: JAWS OVERATED. - 10/10/2008 6:42:53 PM   
BartonFink

Perfect.

It was the film that kicked off mine and many other people's love for Cinema, and Spielberg has never bettered it.

I dont understand the 'Shark looks fake' debates myself , even if it doesnt look realisitc , it still looks pretty damn scary , i certainly wouldnt want to be in the water with it.

http://www.jawsmoviearchives.com/Deleted_Scenes/Deleted_2/Deleted_2/5_kintner.jpg

< Message edited by BartonFink -- 10/10/2008 6:45:07 PM >

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 36
RE: JAWS OVERATED. - 10/10/2008 11:03:13 PM   
wgamador

Here is my review of JAWS on Yahoo Movies back in 2003.....I dont know why the date reads May 4, 2008.......Thats f'en impossible. Since the reason I was doing them on Yahoo was because I didnt know EmpireOnline exsisted!!!!!

Excuse the poor grammar, I was just learning how to write a review.
---------------------------------------------

Dummies Guide to: JAWS
by wgamador (movies profile) May 4, 2008
30 of 33 people found this review helpful

I have to say , some people really take a movie and try to transform it into something that it is not. I'll give you one example.....

I've read reviews on how this movie "Jaws" doesnt portray actual "shark" behavior or lifestyle. C'mon give me a break people....this movie is
NOT a documentary...it is not intended to educate the public on shark behavior. It's a movie about a terrifying , real life predator (unlike The TERMINATOR, which by the way is a great film too)
who finds its way into cool waters and attacks anything in it's path. The movie does include real life shark footage (see special features on DVD) but it isnt a Discovery channel program.

There is more to the movie than just the shark. There is also a moral dilemma between the greedy town politicians and how they should go about alerting the public that there is a man-eating, flesh ripping creature in their waters.

Watch Jaws because you find the concept of having a man-eating , sea-dwelling , unforgiving, relentless creature swimming at your nearest beach waiting for the chance to dismember you , frightening...!! Just the fact that its possible that a shark can find itself in unfamiliar waters is scary enough for me. I recommend JAWS, I recommend you read the book ( I find it more terrifying than the movie) I recommend this movie because being eaten alive by something so merciless that no matter how much you plead or scream for your life.....just will not stop--- is just plain scary.

"And as he, who with laboring breath has escaped from the deep
to the shore, turns to the perilous waters and gazes..."

(in reply to Wilbert)
Post #: 37
Jaws - 3/3/2009 11:59:05 PM   
cinerator

A classic film that everyone should've seen

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 38
- 8/6/2009 5:18:03 PM   
Mort Grimm

Resonance. This is the difference between most modern movies and classics like Jaws. It belongs to a raft of movies coming out of the 70's and 80's that if handled today would be nothing more than popcorn fodder- I'm talking about films like Terminator, The Thing, The Fly, or Alien- films with sci-fi scripts, or creature films- Yet, all these films resonate in our minds, and work on many levels, unlike one dimensional sci-fi and horror flicks of late. These films recognised that if you are going to present a world were these things can happen- then you treat that world as if its real- real people, real towns, real interpersonal relationships, real emotions.

Jaws is one such film. Speilberg makes Amity live and breath, makes Brody and his family real, Scheider doing a fantastic job of portraying the everyman who must reluntantly confront a monster and deal with a greedy mayor. The film is filled with nice little Spielberg touches, such as Brody's son mirroring his behaviour at the dinner table, or the reaction of the officer who finds the first body. Quints famous monologue stays with us more than any scene of toothy carnage, and chills us more than the sight of a lone fin cutting through the water, setting up the tension fuelled finale in as foreboding a manner as the ghostly shooting stars that streak across the early morning sky.

Masterful and infinitely watchable. Jaws still sends chills down my spine as I pop it into the DVD player.

Post #: 39
Possibly The Master Of Suspence - 12/8/2009 8:09:46 AM   
SlasherHorrorFan

One of the biggest and possibly the master of suspence. This film may not deserve five stars in my books, but is still a bloody good movie. Thoroughly entertaining you with the swish of a fin. Roy Scheider played his role with passion and knew when to be serious nearly all the way through the movie. No wonder why this movie was rated five stars in nearly every reviewer becuase its directed by the legendary cinematic icon director; Steven Spielberg. This film is highly entertaining and anyone who wants to be filled with suspence and get all tensed up, see Jaws. View the film that made millions too afraid to go in the water...

Post #: 40
Really Over-rated - 17/9/2009 3:08:54 PM   
S1lent B0b

This so-called classic hasn't dated well rubber sharks and frightfullly clear cliches don't really do it anymore.Don't get me started on the sequels

Post #: 41
- 5/1/2010 3:31:39 PM   
Coolerking2007

I dont care what anybody says....Jaws is spielbergs best film. Sure hes done great classics that are a fave of mine notably ET, schindlers list, jurassic park, indiana jones movies but jaws remains his top film. Its so fucking timeless and i thank god the shark didnt even operate properly otherwise we wud have ended up wiv a different movie altogether

Post #: 42
One of the best movies ever made - 21/5/2010 10:30:52 PM   
!xHoTRoDx!

I don't give a shit what anyone else says, I think that this is Spielberg's most purely entertaining picture and this has always been and always will be one of my favourite movies.

Post #: 43
RE: One of the best movies ever made - 14/8/2010 7:42:21 PM   
The REAL Bozz

For some reason beyond my understanding I have only just gotten around to picking this up on DVD. Long time childhood fave and it was a pleasure to rediscover it. I picked up part 2 aswell because I think it's just as ace, at least I used to when I was a kid. Hopefully it still holds up!

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to !xHoTRoDx!)
Post #: 44
RE: Really Over-rated - 14/8/2010 11:52:51 PM   
MrBear

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1lent B0b

Don't get me started on the sequels

Sequels? what a ridiculous statement to make, Anyone who has any love for Jaws knows that there never were any sequels made There were never any teenage kids in peril or helicopter-attacking sharks, no 3d sharks, and Michael Caine was definitely never in Jaws, anyone who tells you they have seen a sequel to Jaws is clearly deluded, and must have dreamt it! There has only ever been and can only ever be one film called Jaws. simple as that. Maybe you were thinking of Deep Blue Sea?

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 45
RE: Really Over-rated - 15/8/2010 8:58:03 AM   
BOHEMIANBOB

It's completely unfair to have a go at Jaws based on a dig at the sequels,especially Jaws 4.
It was unfortunately the done thing in that era to ride the shit out of a franchise until what was left was utterly different and of totally inferior quality to the first film.
Although the Potter franchise springs to mind too....
Anyway,the first is a stand-out classic and still merits credit even upon modern viewing.
A simple premise delivered masterfully-classic Spielberg.

Misunderstood.
Don't care.
Have you seen my stolen signature?!

(in reply to MrBear)
Post #: 46
Classic - 15/11/2010 3:15:41 AM   
Han Shot First

Who cares about the sequels?

Post #: 47
One of my all-time favourite films - 22/4/2011 7:11:05 PM   
lewistarantino

This is without a doubt the most purely entertaining film I've ever seen and is my favourite Spielberg film. A masterpiece to the core.

Post #: 48
Classical Killing Spree Movie - 24/10/2011 2:51:21 PM   
blaud

Having only seen Jaws for the first time a couple of days ago, I will admit it looks very dated, and the effects are somewhat laughable to observe today. Despite this, however, no one can deny the pure shot of adrenaline they get when watching this film. It's completely based around the concept of fear itself, and one of films' most famous scenes clarifies this by proving shocks can happen at any time. Performances are still strong by modern standards, as is the entertainment factor, which is where this movie really succeeds. A true classic? Of course, but like most things, it's not without it's faults.

Post #: 49
faultless - 22/3/2012 6:53:00 PM   
mclane1

THE best film ever made, you can take your godfathers, your star wars and your excorcist and shove em. quite simply the greatest movie of all time. I have watched it now hundereds of times and everytime its as good as the last. Brilliant!

Post #: 50
Jaws is a brilliantly made film which repays endless vi... - 25/7/2012 9:37:42 AM   
robmarathon

The first time I watched Jaws I did not understand it that well, which is why I disliked it. But then I decided to watch it again and I felt like watching it all the time, because of how entertaining and suspenseful it is I really enjoyed it. The character development is very good and I particularly enjoy Richard Dreyfuss character. It really didn't scare me, but I can understand and respect the culture and what it did to people in the 70's and 80's and even 90's.

Post #: 51
JAWS Anniversary - 8/9/2012 3:00:54 PM   
Roo

This film STILL scares the bejeezus out of me. Which is all the more impressive when one considers the robust crapness of the mechanical "shark" itself.

< Message edited by Roo -- 8/9/2012 3:01:59 PM >

Post #: 52
Err where is the blu ray review - 15/9/2012 5:59:00 PM   
paulmitchell

Dont just review the movie,empire,WHAT'S IT LIKE ON BLU RAY,

Post #: 53
Some of you need to buck up!!! - 16/9/2012 9:43:59 PM   
dannyfletch

This is without doubt a hands down classic that will never lose its effect for makin you scared of the water. Just watched the Blu-ray and it still looks just as good now. The mechanical shark is very effective and beats the shit out of any CGI shark out there! Those of you who think otherwise need not waste any more of our time on here trying to state it as overrated! This can never be rated high enough!

Post #: 54
RE: faultless - 7/2/2013 2:06:24 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

THE best film ever made, you can take your godfathers, your star wars and your excorcist and shove em. quite simply the greatest movie of all time. I have watched it now hundereds of times and everytime its as good as the last. Brilliant!

Couldn't agree more, Mr McClane. My all time favourite movie. Perfect in every way.

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 55
RE: faultless - 7/2/2013 3:47:50 PM   
CRUNT

Shame Spielberg couldn't make his mind up whether it was day or night at the beach scene at the start though. how the fk can you overlook a blinding error like that

< Message edited by CRUNT -- 7/2/2013 3:48:21 PM >

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 56
RE: faultless - 8/2/2013 5:00:29 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: CRUNT

Shame Spielberg couldn't make his mind up whether it was day or night at the beach scene at the start though. how the fk can you overlook a blinding error like that

I don't think it was a matter of overlooking it, more of a case of it being shot "day for night" and being what, 38 years old (and Spielberg being only 26 years old) we can forgive that bit.
Rather than it being a blinding error, more a case of that was the best he could do at the time.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to CRUNT)
Post #: 57
RE: faultless - 8/2/2013 11:32:04 PM   
Mr Gittes

I couldn't care less about little things like that. I mean, if you're going to start there, you may as well pick apart Scorsese's work because even in his best films the continuity is all over the place. Count these small errors in The Godfather and you'd probably end up in triple figures.

And if you call that a blinding error, then your eyes must have been burning out of your skull at the scene in Citizen Kane where no-one is there to hear Charles say "Rosebud". These small things are like imperfections in a loved one; you just look past them. But if this is the sort of stuff that bugs you, then it's hard to imagine that you find any movies perfect.

(in reply to CRUNT)
Post #: 58
RE: My favourite film - 13/2/2013 6:07:16 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: benny the jet

Perfect film

That sums it up succinctly.

I'm baffled by the negative comments here. There are cinephiles that don't worship Jaws? How can that happen?

I am glad I first saw Jaws as a child. I wasn't at the time - it left me in frightened tears - but now I know its power to terrify. Jaws thrilled me as a child in the worst way (I still remember running out the room at John Williams' predictive score); now it thrills me in the greatest way possible.

It is just sensational. The film builds gradually but without being boring. The characters are sympathetic and interesting (an important combination). The plot is deadly exciting - a massive killer shark? Come on, who wouldn't get excited by that? Spielberg builds our fear carefully, surprising and frightening us with the kid on the float's death. So clever, because after that, no one is safe.

I can't begin to describe my admiration for the latter part of the film based on the boat. The waiting, the arrival of the shark, and its eventual confrontation is fucking phenomenal. It may be rubber but by God you believe in it.

And as for the end? "Smile you son of a-"

PERFECT. One of the single greatest moments in film. An amazing pay-off. Sublime.

Five stars without question.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 59
RE: Really Over-rated - 13/2/2013 6:35:01 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1lent B0b

This so-called classic hasn't dated well rubber sharks and frightfullly clear cliches don't really do it anymore.

Are you real? I can't comprehend any real person thinking that.

quote:

Don't get me started on the sequels

No one wants to start you on the sequels; they have jack shit to do with the original.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to S1lent B0b)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: JAWS OVERATED. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI