Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Bruce Springsteen

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bruce Springsteen Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 20/4/2010 7:57:24 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Great news :

COLUMBIA RECORDS TO RELEASE BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND'S 'LONDON CALLING: LIVE IN HYDE PARK' CONCERT FILM ON JUNE 22

RELEASE MARKS FIRST SPRINGSTEEN OUTDOOR CONCERT FILM AND FIRST FROM A FESTIVAL SETTING

On June 22, Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band's 'London Calling: Live In Hyde Park' concert film on one Blu-Ray disc and as a two DVD set. Captured in London at the Hard Rock Calling Festival on June 28, 2009 in HD, the 163-minute film documents 26 tracks of live Springsteen that begin in daylight and progress through a gorgeous sunset into night.

'London Calling: Live In Hyde Park' conveys both the experience of being on-stage and the vast crowd experience of the festival environment. Viewers are able to see Springsteen spontaneously directing the E Street Band and shaping the show as it evolves.

The set list spans from 'Born To Run' era to 'Working On a Dream' and includes rare covers such as The Clash's "London Calling," Jimmy Cliff's "Trapped," The Young Rascals' "Good Lovin'," and Eddie Floyd's "Raise Your Hand." Springsteen also performs fan favorite "Hard Times (Come Again No More)," written by Stephen Foster in 1854. Brian Fallon from The Gaslight Anthem joins the band as a guest vocalist on Springsteen's own "No Surrender."

The concert earned rave reviews. The London Times called it "epic" and "a revved-up three-hour power drive through Springsteen's America." The Independent concurred, "He awed the 50,000-strong crowd. Drenched in sweat by the second number, tossing his guitars to the roadies with the vigour of a frontman a third of his age and jogging down a walkway to meet his fans and take their requests, Springsteen's intensity was staggering from first powerful vocal to final thrashed-out chord."

GRAMMY and Emmy Award-winning producer and editor Thom Zimny and director Chris Hilson, both members of Springsteen's video team dating back over a decade, oversaw the film. Audio was mixed by Bob Clearmountain.

Bonus material includes stunning footage of "The River" from Glastonbury, June 27; and the full music video for "Wrecking Ball," filmed at New Jersey's Giants Stadium.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND
LONDON CALLING: LIVE IN HYDE PARK

1. London Calling
2. Badlands
3. Night
4. She's the One
5. Outlaw Pete
6. Out in the Street
7. Working on a Dream
8. Seeds
9. Johnny 99
10. Youngstown
11. Good Lovin'
12. Bobby Jean
13. Trapped
14. No Surrender
15. Waiting on a Sunny Day
16. Promised Land
17. Racing in the Street
18. Radio Nowhere
19. Lonesome Day
20. The Rising
21. Born to Run
22. Hard Times (Come Again No More)
23. Jungleland
24. American Land
25. Glory Days
26. Dancing in the Dark
27. Music under end credit sequence: Raise Your Hand

BONUS MATERIAL:
The River: Glastonbury Festival, 2009
Wrecking Ball: Giants Stadium, 2009

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 211
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 29/6/2010 7:03:04 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Darkness boxset arriving in time for Christmas, more here.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 212
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 29/6/2010 11:03:24 PM   
FritzlFan

It's about bloody time.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 30/6/2010 12:00:29 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

Post #: 213
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 2/7/2010 9:46:50 AM   
The Hooded Man

Going back to Brendan O'Brien I agree that his production while very polished can be a little too clean at times, stripping songs of any real sense of individuality or bite. On another note, I bought Born To Run and felt it was a bit raw in terms of vocals and production but a friend assures the anniversary edition cleans all this up and makes it an essential purchase, is there much difference?

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 2/7/2010 10:23:31 AM >

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 214
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 26/7/2010 3:55:44 PM   
steffols

I just found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBgzP3WaN5Y

And it made me think, what version of Bruces voice is better? I love that song, but I love the way its sung on E Street Shuffle, his voice is so bouncy and young, where as on that video he sounds a lot more like a River/Nebraska era Bruce. I think I prefer his voice on the first two albums, probably because most of my favourite songs come from those two albums (Spirit In The Night, Lost In The Flood, E Street Shuffle, For You, 4th July Asbury Park (Sandy)) and I tend to listen to them more when I'm in a good mood, whereas early 80s Bruce is confined to when I'm in a deeper mood.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 215
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 26/8/2010 5:35:14 PM   
FritzlFan

quote:

Columbia Records To Release Bruce Springsteen's 'The Promise: The Darkness On The Edge Of Town Story' Nov. 16

Box Set Includes 3CD/3DVD Package Of Remastered Album, Never-Before-Seen Studio & Live Footage, 80-Page Notebook, 21 Previously-Unreleased Songs, And An Extraordinary Documentary Film That Will Debut At The Toronto Film Festival Sept. 14 And On HBO Oct 7 Package Features Nearly Six Hours Of Footage, Including Classic 1978 Houston Performance, And More Than Two Hours Of Audio Columbia To Simultaneously Release 'The Promise' Double CD Complete Songs From Darkness On The Edge Of Town's Lost Sessions

Columbia Records will release Bruce Springsteen's 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' on Nov 16. The Deluxe Package comprises over six hours of film and more than two hours of audio across 3 CDs and 3 DVDs. The media contents are packaged within an 80-page notebook containing facsimiles from Springsteen's original notebooks from the recording sessions, which include alternate lyrics, song ideas, recording details, and personal notes in addition to a new essay by Springsteen and never-before-seen photographs. Containing a wealth of previously unreleased material, 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' offers an unprecedented look into Springsteen's creative process during a defining moment in his career. 'The Promise: The Darkness on the Edge of Town Story' will additionally be released as a 3CD/3 Blu Ray disc set.

The set will be available as 'The Promise,' an edition which consists of only the unheard complete songs on two CDs or four LPs, along with lyrics and the new essay by Springsteen.

The previously unheard song "Save My Love" and an excerpt from the documentary will be streaming at http://www.BruceSpringsteen.net.

The Deluxe Package includes 'Darkness on the Edge of Town,' digitally remastered for the first time.

CD 1: REMASTERED 'DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN'
1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
3. Something In The Night
4. Candy's Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night
10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

"'Darkness' was my 'samurai' record," Springsteen writes, "stripped to theframe and ready to rumble…But the music that got left behind was substantial." For the first time, fans will have access to two discs containing a total of 21 previously-unreleased songs from the 'Darkness' recording sessions, songs that, as Springsteen writes, "perhaps could have/should have been released after 'Born To Run' and before the collection of songs that 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' became."

Highlights include the extraordinary rock version of "Racing in the Street," the never-before-released original recordings of "Because the Night," "Fire," and "Rendezvous," the supreme pop opus "Someday (We'll Be Together)," the hilarious "Ain't Good Enough for You," the superb soul-based vocal performance on "The Brokenhearted," the utterly haunting "Breakaway," and the fully orchestrated masterpiece and title song "The Promise." All 21 songs have been mixed by Springsteen's long-time collaborator Bob Clearmountain. According to long-time manager/producer Jon Landau, "There isn't a weak card in this deck. 'The Promise' is simply a great listening experience."

CD 2: THE PROMISE (DISC 1)
1. Racing In The Street ('78)
2. Gotta Get That Feeling
3. Outside Looking In
4. Someday (We'll Be Together)
5. One Way Street
6. Because The Night
7. Wrong Side Of The Street
8. The Brokenhearted
9. Rendezvous
10. Candy's Boy

CD 3: THE PROMISE (DISC 2)
1. Save My Love
2. Ain't Good Enough For You
3. Fire
4. Spanish Eyes
5. It's A Shame
6. Come On (Let's Go Tonight)
7. Talk To Me
8. The Little Things (My Baby Does)
9. Breakaway
10. The Promise
11. City Of Night

The Deluxe Package also features "The Promise: The Making of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town,'" a documentary directed by Grammy- and Emmy Award-winning filmmaker Thom Zimny. The ninety-minute film combines never-before-seen footage of Springsteen and the E Street Band shot between 1976 and 1978—including home rehearsals and studio sessions—with new interviews with Springsteen, E Street Band members, manager Jon Landau, former-manager Mike Appel, and others closely involved in the making of the record. Advanced word on the documentary is so strong that it was invited to debut at the prestigious Toronto Film Festival on September 14 and will make its television debut on HBO on October 7.

DVD 1: "THE PROMISE: THE MAKING OF 'DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN'"

In addition, the set features more than four hours of live concert film from the Thrill Hill Vault, including the bootleg house cut (the footage that appeared on-screen at the concert) from a 1978 Houston show, and a 2009 performance of 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' in its entirety from Asbury Park. The special performance in Asbury Park was shot in HD without an audience and successfully recreates the stark atmosphere of the original album.

DVD 2: DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN (PARAMOUNT THEATER, ASBURY PARK, NJ,
2009)
1. Badlands
2. Adam Raised A Cain
3. Something In The Night
4. Candy's Room
5. Racing In The Street
6. The Promised Land
7. Factory
8. Streets Of Fire
9. Prove It All Night
10. Darkness On The Edge Of Town

THRILL HILL VAULT (1976-1978)
1. Save My Love (Holmdel, NJ 76)
2. Candy's Boy (Holmdel, NJ 76)
3. Something In The Night (Red Bank, NJ 76)
4. Don't Look Back (NYC 78)
5. Ain't Good Enough For You (NYC 78)
6. The Promise (NYC 78)
7. Candy's Room Demo (NYC 78)
8. Badlands (Phoenix 78)
9. The Promised Land (Phoenix 78)
10. Prove It All Night (Phoenix 78)
11. Born To Run (Phoenix 78)
12. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight) (Phoenix 78)

DVD 3: HOUSTON '78 BOOTLEG: HOUSE CUT
1. Badlands
2. Streets Of Fire
3. It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City
4. Darkness On The Edge Of Town
5. Spirit In The Night
6. Independence Day
7. The Promised Land
8. Prove It All Night
9. Racing In The Street
10. Thunder Road
11. Jungleland
12. The Ties That Bind
13. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
14. The Fever
15. Fire
16. Candy's Room
17. Because The Night
18. Point Blank
19. She's The One
20. Backstreets
21. Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)
22. Born To Run
23. Detroit Medley
24. Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out
25. You Can't Sit Down
26. Quarter To Three

http://brucespringsteen.net

http://shorefire.com

Oh yes. Also, that performance of Sherry Darling with Van Zandt in that clip is brilliant.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 26/8/2010 6:13:37 PM >

quote:

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 216
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 1/11/2010 12:41:36 AM   
Biggus

Really can't wait to hear that boxset. Definitely on my Christmas list.

As a shameless bump here's a clip from the Hyda Park DVD. A fantastically riotous performance of Glory Days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAuDeRKQxG4&feature=related

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 217
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 1/11/2010 12:20:54 PM   
steffols

That boxset looks so good I'm actually close to tears. Definitely on my christmas list. It will go perfectly next to my Born To Run 30th anniversary collection and my boyfriends Beatles re-mastered albums boxset.

I really can't wait to see The Promise now. I've heard so much good stuff about it.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 218
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 1/11/2010 4:07:38 PM   
FritzlFan

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130858856 - 15 songs from The Promise available to stream!

quote:

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 219
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 18/11/2010 1:15:47 PM   
steffols

I think I'm going to hold on listening to The Promise until I get my hands on the boxset. I want it to be as new as possible.

Bruce was on Jimmy Fallon a few nights ago talking about the new boxset. The interview is here

Part 1
Part 2

He also does a fantastic live version of Because The Night which is one of my favourite songs off the Live album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLaTboGdWAg&feature=related

This boxset looks absolutely gorgeous. Its spiral-bound! I've asked for it for my Christmas (£74!) I'm so excited I'm literally bouncing off the walls.

< Message edited by steffols -- 18/11/2010 1:16:18 PM >

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 220
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 18/11/2010 1:44:07 PM   
FritzlFan

I think there's a decent chance that it could go down a fair bit in price next week with Amazon's Black Friday sales week. It's the equivalent of £50 in America right now as well.

Also, the performance from the Jimmy Fallon show of Whip My Hair is great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En9r6TmonhQ

quote:

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 221
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 18/11/2010 2:17:35 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Fallon's Neil Young is eerily accurate. 

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 222
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 18/11/2010 3:11:52 PM   
steffols

Its Springsteens ability to go back to his 70s look so easily that got me. He hasn't aged a bit!

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 223
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 11/6/2011 12:15:10 AM   
Harley Quinn

Help me out fellow Bruce fans.

The boyfriend and I are talking marriage and are oddly sorting out details for the wedding before he proposes and we name a date. Anyway the whole music for the big day has come up and I want to walk up the aisle to "She's the one!" My boyfriend hates the idea he thinks the lyrics are slightly off and I should walk up the aisle to something more traditional.

What do you all think am I being mental?

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 224
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 11/6/2011 12:18:26 AM   
FritzlFan

That's a great idea.

However, Reno is an even better choice.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 11/6/2011 12:19:00 AM >

quote:

Post #: 225
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 11/6/2011 12:42:36 AM   
Harley Quinn

Thank you I knew someone would see it my way, that it was a great idea.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 226
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 14/6/2011 1:32:57 PM   
Harley Quinn

http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/06/12/exclusive-clarence-clemons-said-seriously-ill-from-stroke

Clarence Clemons is seriously ill with a stroke.

Keeping my fingers crossed that he'll pull through.

Post #: 227
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 14/6/2011 1:41:40 PM   
rawlinson

Last I read the reports said he was showing signs of being responsive, including being able to squeeze with his left hand even though he was initially paralysed down his left side. I'm hoping that's as positive a sign as it looks.

Post #: 228
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 14/6/2011 1:54:43 PM   
sharkboy

Here's hoping he makes a full recovery - the Boss just wouldn't be the same without the Big Man by his side

Harls, traditional wedding songs are for squares!   For our wedding in September, Twisted Kitty and I are just using our favourite songs, so there'll be some Sigur Ros, Eels, elbow, Polyphonic Spree and others during the day (though I couldn't persuade her to use my first choice as she walked up the aisle - the theme from Jaws!).  What better way to make it personal?

As for an appropriate Springsteen song, surely there can only be one choice?  It seems kinda fitting too

quote:

I see you walking, baby, down the street
Pushing that baby carriage at your feet
I see the lonely ribbon in your hair
Tell me I´m the man for whom you put it there

You never smile girl, you never speak
You just walk on by, darlin´ week after week
Raising two kids alone in this mixed up world
Must be a lonely life for a working girl

CHORUS
Little girl, I want to marry you
Oh yea, little girl, I want to marry you
Yes I do
Little girl, I want to marry you

Now honey, I do not want to clip your wings
But a time comes when two people should think of these things
Having a home & a family
Facing up to their responsibilities
They say in the end true love prevails
But in the end true love can´t be no fairytale
To say I will make your dreams come true would be wrong
But maybe, darlin´, I could help them along

CHORUS

My daddy said right before he died
That true, true love was just a lie
He went to his grave a broken heart
An unfulfilled life, makes a man hard

Oh, darlin´
Theres smth happy & theres smth sad
´Bout wanting somebody, oh so bad,
I wear my love darlin´, without shame
I would be proud if you´d wear my name

Oh, and congrats too!

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 14/6/2011 1:56:34 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 229
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 14/6/2011 2:03:02 PM   
Harley Quinn

I read the report about it looking hopeful for Clarence I really hope he pulls through as Sharky say's it wouldn't be the same without Bruce and The Big Man mixing it up.

Many Congrats to you and Twisted Kitty Sharky. She was very kind to me about 2 years ago and sent me lots of chin up PMs during a rough patch I hope you'll both be very happy together and you have an amazing day. I also demand pictures in the this is me thread.

I did think about I want to marry you and the lyrics are very fitting. I also like the idea of Two hearts are better than one but I've really got it stuck in my head that I want to walk up the Aisle to She's the one.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 230
RE: Bruce Springsteen - 14/6/2011 9:08:13 PM   
FritzlFan

Very sad news indeed.

"By now, many of you have heard that our beloved comrade and sax player Clarence Clemons has sufferred a serious stroke. While all initial signs are encouraging, Clarence will need much care and support to achieve his potential once again. He has his wonderfully supportive wife, Victoria, excellent doctors and health care professionals, and is surrounded by friends and family.

I thank you all for your prayers and positive energy and concern. This is a time for us all to share in a hopeful spirit that can ultimately inspire Clarence to greater heights."

-- Bruce Springsteen

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 14/6/2011 9:09:21 PM >

quote:

Post #: 231
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 17/6/2011 3:19:34 PM   
chambanzi

One of my favourites of all time! Jungleland might just be my favourite song ever. Really love the guy's stuff and the ones I don't initially like seem to grow on me the most as well.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 232
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 19/6/2011 3:22:10 AM   
Underscore

It is with overwhelming sadness that we inform our friends and fans that at 7:00 tonight, Saturday, June 18, our beloved friend and bandmate, Clarence Clemons passed away. The cause was complications from his stroke of last Sunday, June 12th.

Bruce Springsteen said of Clarence: Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the opportunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years. He was my great friend, my partner, and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band.

Even sadder news unfortunately. RIP, Clarence. I think I'll have to do most of the E-Street albums next week in memoriam.

'Josh: Couldn't you just drop me off the Washington Monument? Bartlet: It's Christmas Josh!, no reason why we can't do both!

(in reply to chambanzi)
Post #: 233
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 19/6/2011 4:07:24 AM   
rawlinson

R.I.P. Big Man.

(in reply to Underscore)
Post #: 234
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 19/6/2011 9:51:06 AM   
steffols

So very devastated at this news. Anyone who has seen Bruce live knows the sheer presence of Clarence on stage was overwhelming. He was truly a force of nature. Bruce would not be the same man he is today without him.

Sleep well Big Man, you will never be forgotten

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 235
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 19/6/2011 11:23:30 AM   
paul.mccluskey

The E Street Band won't be the same. I'm shocked and saddened.

RIP Clarence, you were one in a million.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 236
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 19/6/2011 12:02:26 PM   
Captain Black

Devastating news. Goodbye Big Man, you'll be missed.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 237
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 19/6/2011 1:04:00 PM   
Biggus

Very sad to hear about the death of the Big Man today. Springsteen aside, he was arguably the most prominent member of the E Street band and I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to see them play live on a couple of occasions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seV8kyqteZQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5xhgWqiJiE

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 238
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 19/6/2011 4:12:31 PM   
Harley Quinn

Am simply gutted by this news. RIP Big Man you'll never be forgotten.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 239
RE: Springsteen Live Dates - 19/6/2011 5:20:57 PM   
Super Hans

That's very sad news about Clarence Clemons.  I'm pretty new to Bruce Springsteen's music but even I'm aware and in awe of Clemons' amazing talent, which has a big part in making Born to Run one of my favourite songs.  Sounds like he led a wonderful life.  RIP.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Bruce Springsteen Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI