Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Is Catch 22 really worth buying?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Is Catch 22 really worth buying? Page: [1]
[Poll]

Is Catch 22 really worth buying?

Yes
  78% (15)
No
  21% (4)

Total Votes : 19

(last vote on : 25/4/2007 4:53:44 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 4/2/2007 3:07:49 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

I'm really considering buying 'Catch 22' but i wasnt sure. ive read posts on the forums, some praising, some ridiculing it. so what should i do, or rather...

To buy or not to buy?

And reasons why please?

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy
Post #: 1
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 4/2/2007 7:23:28 PM   
bozo

Of course it is - it's one of the greatest anti-war satires ever written. Frightfully funny and at times - painfully sad. Brilliant and still unsurpassed.

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 2
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 4/2/2007 9:19:27 PM   
furrybastard

Get it. Obne of my favourite books. It's fair to say that at first, it's all a bit much too handle, mostly because of it's non-linear structure and oddness. Stick with it and you'll be rewarded with one of the best-written, hilarious, profound, fantastic books you're ever likely to read 

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 3
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 5/2/2007 8:27:20 PM   
James74

Absolutly recommend buying this fantastic book.  The characters in it are superb and some of their obscure behavior is so engrossing.
One of my top 3 novels ever.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 4
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 5/2/2007 8:48:51 PM   
darkcloud

Definitely, I read it for the first time recently and its well worth it.

(in reply to James74)
Post #: 5
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 5/2/2007 10:02:19 PM   
soderbergh1

this has been on my 'to buy list' for ages so its nice to hear other people's opinion on it. i think i'm gonna buy it soon once i've worked my way through my 'to read' pile a little bit. gotta get it under control cos i just can't stop buying books and its getting bigger and bigger...

"Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy."

LAST 3 FILMS WATCHED:
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ***
Iron Man ***
Dasavatharam ***

(in reply to darkcloud)
Post #: 6
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 6/2/2007 9:02:32 AM   
elab49

I chose yes since there wasn't an of course.

I'd say the sensible thing to do, if you see a difference of opinion - and I'd love to see someone credibly ridiculing the book - is check it out and decide for yourself rather than have others tell you what to do.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to soderbergh1)
Post #: 7
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 6/2/2007 9:59:33 AM   
sharkboy

Quite simply, it's the best work of fiction in the English language.  So that would be a yes then.

I remember reading this anecdote on the old forum when the merits of the book were discussed.  I can't remember who posted it, but the credit should go to them.  Anyway...

In his later years, Joseph Heller was being interviewed by a journalist.  During the course of the interview, the journalist suggested that Heller peaked too early, in that he hadn't written another book as good as Catch-22 .  "Yes," Heller replied, "but neither has anyone else"

Guess that says it all really.

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 8
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 6/2/2007 10:59:52 AM   
HIM

I'm going to be the first person in this thread to speak out against it. Much like most of the E.U. I voted 'No'. It's not a bad book by any means and I did actually finish it. It's just that it was never fun for me. It always felt like a chore to read. It's littered with moments of genius and there are times when you will literally 'lol'. But for me these moments were too few and far between and for the most part it was a disorganised jumble (perhaps an intentional metaphor for the US military or war in general?) with very little narative or flow. I'll admit that this isn't a bad thing for some people (as evidenced by the posters in this thread) but for me it certainly was.

If you do buy it I will say one thing; If you don't like it after the first few chapters, then it's highly unlikely that you ever will. I carried on reading in the hope that it would get better and grab me, but it never did.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 6/2/2007 7:25:46 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

whats the book about then?

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 10
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 7/2/2007 1:26:44 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

I bought Catch 22 about 4 years ago, and it's been sat on my bookshelf waiting to be read ever since. Poor little blighter.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 11
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 16/2/2007 8:58:30 AM   
Dark Aje

Have to go with 'no' myself.  It's well worth a read, but it's certainly not one I'd read over and over again.  It's non-linear structure means it's hard to stay with the flow, and is occasionaly a struggle to get through.  Admittedly it could have been a mood thing - I may not have been in the right mood to read it - but I'd suggest getting it out of the library.  If you love it, you could always buy it afterwards.

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 12
RE: Is Catch 22 really worth buying? - 16/2/2007 1:00:57 PM   
doubleshiny

Get it from the Library! A magical mystical place where you can read hundreds of books, and all for no charge!

Catch 22 is my favourite book ever, I suggest getting from the library first though.

(in reply to Dark Aje)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Is Catch 22 really worth buying? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI