Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Strange/Cool Crossover

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Strange/Cool Crossover Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 10/6/2009 9:54:33 AM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hex

Apparently not in a Nevada were she banged him. She would have more difficulty in St Louis though since thats meant to be 17. So unless she invites him home with her, shes not technically in the wrong...

Technically...

I hate this series so much...

Technically that's ok then. 

Does anybody have any recommendations for books like Anita/Merry except with you know a plot.

I'm re-reading my beloved Harry Dresden at the moment.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 991
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 10/6/2009 6:30:11 PM   
Hex

All the usual suspects are worth a look. Charlaine Harris, Tanya Huff, Kim Harrison follow the same basic idea. J.R Robb and Janet Evanovich also (not vampires but similar apart from that). Ive tried them all in one capacity or another and theyre ok.

You are a hot cup of asshole!

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

Sssshhh. Shut your mouth. Sssssh. It's Art Crawl.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 992
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 10/6/2009 9:12:30 PM   
FlangeBags

Only two I can think of have been mentioned before but it's worth repeating.
Kelley Armstrong's books and Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series are both very entertaining (and much better written than the works of Ms. Hamilton).

If you like fantasy books, the Noble Dead series is kind of like a cross between Lord of the Rings and vampirey stuff.

My homepage - http://allendonnelly.squarespace.com/

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 993
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 10/6/2009 9:18:10 PM   
Hex

The Night Watch books are meant to be good. I keep meaning to read them but havent got around to it.

You wouldn't let me have that poster of Gael Garcia Bernal! His eyes are green and he's Latin! I need it!

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 994
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 11/6/2009 9:48:02 AM   
Harley Quinn

I've read or tried to read every suggestion you guy's gave me.  I need to find a new genre.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 995
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 11/6/2009 11:25:12 PM   
Hex

I know the feeling.

Im pretty much out of the Urban Fantasy game now.

Biographies are kinda my thing now.

Post #: 996
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 11/6/2009 11:50:57 PM   
FlangeBags

Have you tried China Mieville's Un Lun Dun?
Sort of an urban fantasy - kind of like Neverwhere but possibly even more surreal. I really enjoyed it.

My debut novel, BUY IT (please)! - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Eyes-ebook/dp/B005ZJ56GY

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 997
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 12/6/2009 12:21:59 AM   
Funkyrae

quote:

The Night Watch books are meant to be good. I keep meaning to read them but havent got around to it.

They are good, but if you've already seen the films just be careful, the books are TOTALLY different.  Basically the original Night Watch film is based on the tiniest part of the first book and takes the storyline in a different direction.

I would recommend the books though, they're good.  Just keep in mind the fact that the translation means that the writing sometimes leaves something to be desired.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 998
RE: Darla - 25/6/2009 1:04:53 PM   
Harley Quinn

Darla is writing a "Fictional Book" in th vein of the Devil Wears Prada

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=92304655&blogId=494917139

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 999
RE: Darla - 26/6/2009 4:20:32 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

Darla is writing a "Fictional Book" in th vein of the Devil Wears Prada

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=92304655&blogId=494917139

I smell a lawsuit!

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

Post #: 1000
RE: Darla - 26/6/2009 7:59:47 PM   
FlangeBags

But it's fiction, she says so, so any resemblance to a real person must be entirely coincidental.

This "Miriam" is clearly not based on a real person...

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 1001
RE: Darla - 28/6/2009 7:30:47 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

quote:

ORIGINAL: FlangeBags

But it's fiction, she says so, so any resemblance to a real person must be entirely coincidental.

This "Miriam" is clearly not based on a real person...

Of course not, just like The Devil Wears Prada certainly wasn't based on Anna Wintour, even though Lauren Weisberger worked as her assistant for a year, just like the character in the book! It's all a rich tapestry of coincidences.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 1002
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 4/7/2009 5:17:33 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

They are good, but if you've already seen the films just be careful, the books are TOTALLY different.  Basically the original Night Watch film is based on the tiniest part of the first book and takes the storyline in a different direction.

I would recommend the books though, they're good.  Just keep in mind the fact that the translation means that the writing sometimes leaves something to be desired.

We-ell, look who's come crawling back to this forum!!
....That would be me.

The new copy of 'Skin Trade' came into the library I work at yesterday - saw it, thought of you guys! Oddly enough, it passes the random-page test: I opened it to several different random pages and not ONE featured a sex scene.

....Not one featured any actual action, either, but there ya go. I have to say, I'm staying strong to my pledge to live LKH-free! Desptie 'Swallowing Darkness', 'A Lick of Frost', 'Blood Noir' and ST all being in the library right here and now, I haven't read a one of 'em and although I am midly, masochistically tempted, I'm still living clean.

Harry Dresden has filled my life instead! God how I love Harry; I've started a rich fantasy life involving him now  The books are just excellent; laugh-out-loud funny with characters you genuinely care about and some great creepy detail.

I can also reccomed the Watch series - but as Funky says the translation can be hit and miss. Once you get into the swing of it, it works ok. And in The Last Watch, the final (?) in the series, it does slip in some nifty metatextual references to the films!

I feel the love for Kelley Armstrong, too, and for Patricia Briggs. I recently read Jeannie Frost's 'Night Huntress' series (Halfway to the Grave, One Foot in the Grave & Grave's End) but while the first book was a really enjoyable guilty pleasure, the last two just became Urban Fantasy By The Numbers and I didn't like them at all.

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 1003
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 4/7/2009 7:36:05 PM   
FlangeBags

Good grief, it lives. IT LIVES!!!!

I think you should read Skin Trade so I don't have to

(in reply to Shaunette_ofthe_Dead)
Post #: 1004
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 5/7/2009 1:58:40 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

quote:

We-ell, look who's come crawling back to this forum!!
....That would be me.

The new copy of 'Skin Trade' came into the library I work at yesterday - saw it, thought of you guys! Oddly enough, it passes the random-page test: I opened it to several different random pages and not ONE featured a sex scene.

....Not one featured any actual action, either, but there ya go. I have to say, I'm staying strong to my pledge to live LKH-free! Desptie 'Swallowing Darkness', 'A Lick of Frost', 'Blood Noir' and ST all being in the library right here and now, I haven't read a one of 'em and although I am midly, masochistically tempted, I'm still living clean.

Harry Dresden has filled my life instead! God how I love Harry; I've started a rich fantasy life involving him now  The books are just excellent; laugh-out-loud funny with characters you genuinely care about and some great creepy detail.

I can also reccomed the Watch series - but as Funky says the translation can be hit and miss. Once you get into the swing of it, it works ok. And in The Last Watch, the final (?) in the series, it does slip in some nifty metatextual references to the films!

I feel the love for Kelley Armstrong, too, and for Patricia Briggs. I recently read Jeannie Frost's 'Night Huntress' series (Halfway to the Grave, One Foot in the Grave & Grave's End) but while the first book was a really enjoyable guilty pleasure, the last two just became Urban Fantasy By The Numbers and I didn't like them at all.

I was wondering where you had got to!

Got to agree with you on Harry Shaunette, i would marry him tomorrow if he were a real man. His got his own fan thread somewhere further down the page. Lot's of intresting discussions about him and if certain things are clues to future things and not a hint of snark.

I'm reading a series called the Phoenix Chronicles at the moment by Lori Handleland.

The first one was good (well good enough for me to buy the second one). I've only just started on the second one. I'll report back.

Has any one else read Sookie Sackhouse?

Post #: 1005
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 21/7/2009 3:36:34 PM   
Hex

I have up un until the fourth of fifth one then I suddenly lost interest. Sookie began acquirring powers and random guys lusting after her and it all seemed a little too familiar...

Post #: 1006
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 21/7/2009 4:26:38 PM   
Harley Quinn

Your right there about Sookie but shes not haveing mass orgies or such like....yet!

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 1/10/2009 10:40:03 PM >

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 1007
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 24/7/2009 5:02:38 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

If the summer hols continue decending further and further through the levels of hell as they have so far, I may come to loathe existence so much that I choose to express my hate by reading Skin Trade.

We did have one old lady borrow it because it was in the horror section (go figure) and bring it back within a couple of days, saying we shouldn't have such things on the shelf.

I don't normally agree with that kind of Facist control of reading matter, but in this case I sympathised....

"Were you checking me out or him? Because he worries about me getting harrassed in the workplace."

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 1008
RE: Strange/Cool Crossover - 24/7/2009 8:57:53 PM   
FlangeBags

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

If the summer hols continue decending further and further through the levels of hell as they have so far, I may come to loathe existence so much that I choose to express my hate by reading Skin Trade.

We did have one old lady borrow it because it was in the horror section (go figure) and bring it back within a couple of days, saying we shouldn't have such things on the shelf.

I don't normally agree with that kind of Facist control of reading matter, but in this case I sympathised....

Is it actually possible for things to get so bad?

Post #: 1009
It lives, IT LIVES!! - 1/10/2009 9:16:50 PM   
FlangeBags

And so, it's decomposing hands pushing free from the earth's cold embrace and reaching for the sickly yellow moonlight, the Laurell K. Hamilton thread lurches once more into twitching un-life.

I have read Skin Trade.
Yes, it's true.
And yes, it's everything you might expect from an Anita Blake novel (bad sex, plot lines that peter out into nothing, a ridiculous, fairly abrupt ending). It does actually have a plot of sorts, but the plot is lost beneath a mountain of navel gazing and meaningless exposition.
In my defence, I only read it because I lost a Scrabble game to Ms. OfTheDead and reading that "novel" was the loser's forfeit.

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 1010
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 1/10/2009 10:38:22 PM   
Harley Quinn

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Flange how did you survive it? Did you use beer and cigarettes?

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 1011
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 2/10/2009 8:58:36 PM   
FlangeBags

Well I don't smoke, but the alcohol definitely played a part.
Quite a lot of it actually.
Still drying to drown out the memories...

Post #: 1012
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 2/10/2009 9:17:52 PM   
Harley Quinn

Poor Flange. do you still hear the screaming?

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 1013
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 3/10/2009 1:40:16 PM   
FlangeBags

Wow. That last post of mine was really badly written. How do you dry to forget the memories anyway?

It's not so bad, Harley. It could have been much worse!
For example, Shaunette lost the last game for which the forfeit was to listen to a minute and a half of each song on this album
http://open.spotify.com/album/4KC6KSPxc4EVgHnp0lTVsT

See? Turns out there genuinely is a fate worse than death.

Post #: 1014
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 17/10/2009 9:58:15 AM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

Y'know, I think LKH actually has a purpose in this world.

It's to show us, through her words, just how bad fiction can get, thus making us appreciate good writing all the more. No light without dark, and all that.

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 1015
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 19/10/2009 11:31:13 PM   
Harley Quinn

The new Merry Gentry book features the English Fae.

I'm betting that they use these expressions.

Luv
Duckie
Crumpet

Post #: 1016
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 20/10/2009 9:10:58 PM   
FlangeBags

And maybe...

Crikey
Cor blimey, guv'nor
Fancy a bit of how's ya farfer dahhlin'

Post #: 1017
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 20/10/2009 9:20:34 PM   
Hex

Has Hamilton ever actually been to the UK?

Or does her/Anitas flying fear still reign supreme?

(in reply to FlangeBags)
Post #: 1018
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 20/10/2009 11:03:44 PM   
Harley Quinn

Yes she has Hex. She came over and complained about the old mould made her allergies flare up, because London is an old city. Surprise surprise.

I still read her blog every now and then.

(in reply to Hex)
Post #: 1019
RE: It lives, IT LIVES!! - 22/10/2009 10:47:55 PM   
Shaunette_ofthe_Dead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

Yes she has Hex. She came over and complained about the old mould made her allergies flare up, because London is an old city. Surprise surprise.

....???

That's it. That's the point her crazy made my brain melt. SCIENCE FAIL for a start; am I missing something major here, or can you just not get "old" mold because mold, being a living thing, is thus like all other living things in possession of a finite lifespan that means it will not age beyond a certain point?

Also, London is old? Gee, really? Like over a hundred years?! Woooooooooow, LKH. I think you mean London is super old. It is over A THOUSAND FUCKING YEARS OLD, after all, so perhaps to an American this is an incomprehensibally long period of time that can only be reduced into the term "old".

I'm glad her visit to our lands was so rewarding.

I'm betting the English Fey/Fae/Fay/Insert Pretentious Hateful LKH Variant Spelling Here won't have the usual Spike knock-offs (I mean really, honestly, no one was fooled, surely? We all saw that guy as a desperate William the Bloody wanna-be, right?!) - I'm guessing we'll have a plethora of attempts at posh-types.
That will probably hail from Richard Curtis Land.

Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> RE: Strange/Cool Crossover Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI