Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Battlestar Galactica

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Battlestar Galactica Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 22/1/2006 10:22:39 AM   
hongkongphooey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beckymonster

Confession time - I was in tears even before the frakking opening credits ran... pulled it together enough to watch it all but when Adama put out the call...  damnit, I hate it when shows do that to me!

Glad I wasn't the only one - I cried a lot during this episode.

(in reply to Beckymonster)
Post #: 61
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 22/1/2006 8:01:17 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

ORIGINAL: hongkongphooey

Glad I wasn't the only one - I cried a lot during this episode.

Ah you wusses.

A few points that haven't been mentioned yet in this episode that I'd like to bring up:

1. According to the flashbacks, Roslin is apparently aware that Baltar had a relationship with Shelley Godfrey, whom Roslin knows is a Cylon. In addition Baltar has crossed the line from unstable to completely David Lynch batty and will therefore be a danger (well we know he is, he's given the Cylons a nuke ) so they will likely be crossing swords in the next episode.

2. What affect will the Cylon blood have? Now, I expect Ron to stay away from any sci fi tinged angles such as 'oh she's got Cylon blood therefore they'll have control over her' and nonsense of that ilk, but originally Laura believed (did the fleet - I think not, though her condition in the last few days would have been known throughout) that she was the dying leader leading humanity to Earth. There's always the possibility that the cancer will reoccur, but will believing that she's healthy change Roslin's perspective?

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
Post #: 62
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 28/1/2006 2:30:40 PM   
hongkongphooey

spoilers 214

Not a great episode this week, though I'm listening to the podcast at the moment and it seems that I liked it more than Ronald D Moore does. He's really unhappy with the episode, and really hard on himself.

I think you were supposed to be thinking that Lee had met a woman who he was in love with, but I was thinking 'hmm, wouldn't have thought Lee would need to pay for sex' before the reveal, so it obviously didn't work too well. Since we didn't know the story about his pregnant wife, I didn't really care too much about her or feel involved in the story that much.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 63
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 28/1/2006 4:56:59 PM   
Timon

Ep 2.14

Child prostitution in the fleet! Who would have thunk it? That's what i like about this series, it's gritty and realistic and if such a thing happened, such a black market would exist. In the 70's version, i remember the equivalent was a fat council memeber hogging all the grapes.......

Also liked the whole criminal element in the fleet especially when it's lead by Bill Duke. I wonder who's got command of the Pegasus now? Missed Tyrol and Starbuck and co but hopefully we'll see more  of them next week.

Lee's back story about his girlfriend was rather shite and dealt with rather ham fistedly but i liked the fact that he's been whoring. It made him more flawed and human.

Much better than last week with an interesting concept unfortunatly Lee's side of the story was rather poor.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

Post #: 64
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 28/1/2006 5:15:15 PM   
hongkongphooey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Ep 2.14

Child prostitution in the fleet! Who would have thunk it? That's what i like about this series, it's gritty and realistic and if such a thing happened, such a black market would exist.

The use of children is one of the things which Ronald D Moore was most unhappy with - he said that once you have to show kids being bought and sold, you're hitting desperation level and that its a bit of a cheap shot as you haven't proved your point about how bad things are before hand.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 65
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 28/1/2006 5:48:56 PM   
Timon

I disagree. I think it showed that the last remanants of mankind are as flawed, sadistic and perverted as we usually are and at the end of the day shows what a selfish, self absorbed race we are.

I thought it was very brave of the makers...but that was just me.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Post #: 66
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 28/1/2006 5:51:21 PM   
hongkongphooey

quote:

I disagree. I think it showed that the last remanants of mankind are as flawed, sadistic and perverted as we usually are and at the end of the day shows what a selfish, self absorbed race we are.

I thought it was very brave of the makers...but that was just me.

Maybe you should find Ronald D Moore's email address and tell him, because he sounded really disgusted with himself in the podcast : (

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 67
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 28/1/2006 6:34:30 PM   
batrico

Cant find torrent for ep 14 can anyone help?

"I aim to misbehave"

"Oh God Oh God we're all Gonna Die"

Post #: 68
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 29/1/2006 2:18:15 PM   
Beckymonster

Batrico - working on it...EDIT - Read your PMs!

2.14 - 'Black Market'.  Okay - this isn't going to go down as one of BSG's finest moments.  Even so, it's still a very worthy 45 minutes. 

Was I the only person who went 'Anytime' at the beginning? I adore 'Predator'- my excuse and I'm sticking with it!;) 

Silly question - why in the name of Galactica was Apollo paying for sex?!  I know he had 'issues' and all (again, more evidence for my theory about characters having a great cataclysm in their lives before the Cylons blew everyone up) but...  wtf?! 

The children issue was a bit of a 'hot button' I'll agree but Timon talks sense with regards to that it shows that even the world has ended, humanity hasn't changed.  Despite what some people might want to think. 

Mme President is back with a frelling vengeance!  'I'm busy' equals 'P*ss off the pair of you!'
Though why Zarek gave up the info so willingly is another matter...  something for the future? 

In the plus corner - Bill 'Mac' Duke, Father/Son bonding and Apollo with not much on...  but not enough to put it up there with the greatest that BSG has to offer.  I'm hoping that this was a momentary blip.

< Message edited by Beckymonster -- 29/1/2006 2:27:15 PM >

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 69
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 29/1/2006 2:26:25 PM   
Timon

quote:

Silly question - why in the name of Galactica was Apollo paying for sex?!  I know he had 'issues' and all (again, more evidence for my theory about characters having a great cataclysm in their lives before the Cylons blew everyone up) but...  wtf?! 

I can see the whole "flashback" thing getting very old, very quickly. That whole deal is covered in LOST and i think we know enough about the characters already without the need for flashbacks. It's laziness on the part of the writers for them having to go down this route.

Hope it's a momentary glitch and the characters problems in the present will come back to the fore of the show.

Post #: 70
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 29/1/2006 2:31:20 PM   
Beckymonster

quote:

Hope it's a momentary glitch and the characters problems in the present will come back to the fore of the show.

So say we all.  Admittedly it does give Apollo some 'colour' but pushing that unnamed girl away because of the baby issue seems a bit OOC for Adama Jnr... 

But the flashback from last week does mean that Baltar is about to get into a hell of a lot of trouble very...  very soon!  So it's not all bad

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 71
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 29/1/2006 2:33:09 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beckymonster

quote:

So say we all.  Admittedly it does give Apollo some 'colour' but pushing that unnamed girl away because of the baby issue seems a bit OOC for Adama Jnr... 

But the flashback from last week does mean that Baltar is about to get into a hell of a lot of trouble very...  very soon!  So it's not all bad

Yeah i'm still having trouble that only now has Laura remembered seeing Baltar getting frisky with a No. 6 clone pre war. They could have come up with a much better way of her realising (Old programme footage, photos, anything but a coma dream!)

Post #: 72
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 29/1/2006 11:12:48 PM   
batrico

quote:

ORIGINAL: batrico

Cant find torrent for ep 14 can anyone help?

Thanks to hongkongphooey i got sorted. Thanks becky for your reply.

"I aim to misbehave"

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 73
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 30/1/2006 10:14:27 AM   
Captain Black

Ouch, that was difficult to watch. Not a bad episode per sé, but really it touched on themes that were a) uncomfortable and b) not the reason I watch this programme. I really hope the Cylons are involved next week. Callis almost saved the episode for me with another superb performance.

quote:

Beckymonster:
 Was I the only person who went 'Anytime' at the beginning? I adore 'Predator'- my excuse and I'm sticking with it!;) 

I think I should have watched Predator instead of this episode.

quote:

Beckymonster:

I may have missed the point here, but I thought that from Lee's perspective; she (I missed her name) was 'willingly' involved, but then Lee gave her the money out of either goodwill or compensation for lost earnings. I'm not sure single Mum saw it the same way though.

I think they did shoot themselves in the foot by removing Fisk so quickly (and to a lesser extent Bill Duke's character) they had room to maneouvre with him and we seem a bit back to square one. Moore did say he was reasonably happy with the scene where Lee shoots Duke, for me it wasn't anything I haven't seen Jack Bauer do (with greater impact) for the last five years so, I would have preffered Duke to stay alive so we could make more of him later.

Still, it's always good to listen to Moore speak out against the worst episode of the series, it tells me that he's aware of the mistakes and will do his best to correct them.

Timon asked who would command The Pegasus? Interesting one, I think a case could be made for Tigh, though you could make arguments against him based on The Pegasus crew perhaps having animosity towards the Galactica XO. Having said that, I doubt they will because the writers seem to want to keep the Galactica crew rigid no matter what.

quote:

Timon:
Yeah i'm still having trouble that only now has Laura remembered seeing Baltar getting frisky with a No. 6 clone pre war. They could have come up with a much better way of her realising (Old programme footage, photos, anything but a coma dream!)

The reason (at least from the writers' perspective) would be that there's no evidence that she can present to anyone else. However, I agree, it's a bit 'eh, why couldn't she remember it before?'

Blimey, it's not lost the plot has it? *Crosses fingers for next week*

Invisiotext:

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 74
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 30/1/2006 9:09:27 PM   
Helo

Hmmm, I would appear to be alone then in thinking this one of the season's high points so far.  Jamie Bamber: just an astonishing piece of thesping.  Really showed he's not just a pretty face for the fanbase.  When I first heard about this 'Apollo going of the rails' plot thread I was worried it'd just be him being moody.  Not so.  Iffy flashbacks aside this was a brilliant character development Ep and I'm not entirely sure we'll see him back to his poster boy antics anytime soon, I hope.

Only one real Zarek scene but very well paced, he had to be involved in this somewhere and I'm delighted it was with Apollo again.  These two play really well together and I hope we see more of this.  Like the fact that we haven't conveniently shut down the black market, this show relies on the seedy underbelly element and I want to see a lot more of this.

Disappointed the Apollo/D thing seemed to be wrapped up very quick, another unexpected thread I feel should've been explore more (BTW, is D training to become a Viper pilot?).

As for Pegasus, I'm worried they're not getting a commanding officer settled in permanently, I just fear its survival of the Cain stuff may be shortlived with the season finale not far off.  I hope I'm wrong.  Some caps from next Ep:

http://66.49.253.213/Galactica%20Station/Gallery/hi%20res/Season2/215/215%20(1).htm

Next ep looks like we'll see some nifty Kara in a Viper set pieces again, oooohh baby!

"But it's Swiss!"

"Five card stud, nothing wild. And the sky's the limit."

Post #: 75
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 4/2/2006 7:30:10 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

quote:

But the rest of the season is/was awesome......although Starbuck seems to have forgotten all about here promise to send rescue parties to the Resistance fighters on Caprica.

Ah yeah, well apparently some of Starbuck's lines there were Katee Sackhoff's idea and Ron Moore basically junked it. Good on him I say.

Ep 2.15 SCAR!

Oh Captain Black! The idea was junked was it?! Shame on you!

One of the best episodes so far. BSG is back on form after a couple of lacklustre ones. I was glad they're relating back to Anders and the resistance as i loved the premise when they were on Caprica and was pissed off that they left it and Starbuck never capitialised on her promise.........but now.......is there a chance she/they might go back? After all, it's something to live for.

Kat, my my my...haven't we come a long way. From denting the landing strip...to being a stim-junkie to now the Galatica top gun and dishing out flight advice. My oh my. How long's it been? A year? A Kat has come from green eyed rookie to the best pilot in the fleet. Well i guess day after day of combat will do that....i liked the evolution of the character, ditto with HotDog and glad they just weren't ditched after being introduced.

Anyway...the episode. Great. Awesome action scenes. Scar was genuinely scary and the fact they can resurrect means new possibilities in the future. Also glad they're answering questions such as how do they make new Vipers. Was also happy to see that Starbuck let Kat take the killing shot, showing that her pride wasn't going to get in the way of her tactics.

Was also glad she didn't sleep with Lee........would have seriously cheapened the whole Anders thing and thought the way they did it was perfect. Starbuck really has fallen from grace.

Just one thing....what the hell was with The Deerhunter Catvina at the end? Odd choice i thought.

< Message edited by Timon -- 4/2/2006 8:17:24 PM >

Post #: 76
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 5/2/2006 11:58:08 AM   
Helo

Only thing missing was a Kenny Loggins theme tune

There are ways to use flashbacks properly: this was one of them.  Am another one glad to see that the supporting characters weren't just forgotten about.  Although did anyone else notice there was no 'Race Track' in the pilot's room at any stage?  Where'd she go?

I still think Starbuck is gonna get worse before she gets better, hopefully a Caprica rescue mission may be her salvation. 

Also, can the FX get any better?  The impact of Scar on that rock was awesome, no fake looking explosions, plenty of blood'n'guts.

Roll on next week!  One for all you D fans as she gets to dress up all 'purdy for a party, with, intersestingly, both Billy and Apollo in attendance   

"But it's Swiss!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 77
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 6/2/2006 1:36:32 PM   
Captain Black

Helo, that's still spoilery stuff - I hate knowing what happens in future episodes*, could you invisio it in future please? Cheers.

*Er, most of the time, I may have given in to temptation on this occasion though.

quote:

Helo: BTW, is D training to become a Viper pilot?

Not unless I missed something. What makes you think that?

quote:

Timon: Oh Captain Black! The idea was junked was it?! Shame on you!

D'Oh! I can only pass on what Ron says in the podcasts! However (and yes, this is a shameless defensive measure ) if I recall, the original sentiment was that we wouldn't be going back to Caprica at any point in the near future (which still looks true), not that Starbuck wouldn't be thinking about it. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and sulk in the corner.

2.15 Scar.

Don't know if I'm still in a mood over last week, but I found this pretty meh as well. Some nice pieces (the idea of Scar and regenerating raiders was pretty cool) but I feel like I'm watching TV movie of the week about how someone overcomes alcohol addiction of something. With a few, admittedly glorious, space battles in between.

Even though everything she said was spot on, I still want to give Kat a good slap. I also can't understand how they operate with such ill discipline on board, Adama still needs to do some law laying down, probably by saying nothing and just burning his thoughts into people with his immense stare.

I also hope they can this format for future episodes, the ended on the same bloody cliffhanger twice prior to the breaks!

Loved Helo though, best thing about the episode. I'd like to see him get a scene with Baltar. They have much to discuss.

I didn't like the bit where Starbuck was recalling all the pilots' names, I felt the scene needed something more, substantial, I guess. Also, as we got further down the list of callsigns I expected some of them to be called things like 'cannon fodder' 'dead meat' 'shot down' 'raider bait' which kinda undercut it a bit for me.

quote:

There are ways to use flashbacks properly: this was one of them.  Am another one glad to see that the supporting characters weren't just forgotten about.  Although did anyone else notice there was no 'Race Track' in the pilot's room at any stage?  Where'd she go?

Dunno, but if you check out the IMDb (actress name is Leah Cairns) there are some very pretty pictures.

Not a big fan of episodes centred around just one character. They didn't do that ealier in the run and the show was all the better for it,  I could probably watch Cally's day in a 'A View From The Gallery' style (maybe I'll find out her surname, before trying to make it Black ), but other than that - ensemble works best.

Edit:

quote:

Timon: Just one thing....what the hell was with The Deerhunter Catvina at the end? Odd choice i thought.

Thankyou! That's what the music was. I'm no fan of the Deerhunter either.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 9/2/2006 11:26:51 AM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 78
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 11/2/2006 10:29:25 AM   
hongkongphooey

spoilers 216 Sacrifice

Another episode which made me cry, quite a lot - no other show does this to me!! Started singing "Billy, don't be a hero" half way through so obviously my subconscious knew what was going to happen before I did, but I refused to listen to it, so it was still a shock.

Don't really like the Lee/Dee relationship - seems a bit contrived to me. Going to listen to the official podcast now and see what Ronald D Moore says about the whole thing.

Post #: 79
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 14/2/2006 1:42:44 PM   
Captain Black

2.16. Sacrifice. Don't read if you haven't seen it........

This was one of those where I felt the strains of the outside world affecting the show, most obviously with Billy's character.

I'll start with the good stuff.

Dana Delaney, made a real impression in a very brief role. Bit of a shame they killed her off, she is aware that someone *cough*Baltar*cough* is a traitor and therefore it would have been more effective to keep her in the storyline at some point in future episodes.

Starbuck shot Apollo. Didn't see that one coming. Thought it was good that it wasn't Starbuck doing the saving.

Boomer was rather excellent this week and I'm not Grace Park's biggest fan. I think, from my point of view at least, she's one of those actresses who's great when given the material, but struggles when the writing isn't quite so good.

'Cut the wire!' Er, don't know what that means, Ron Moore didn't either but it sounded great so they just left it in!

Mary McDonnell at the end there with Billy, Adama just frozen in the foreground. Superb stuff from both of them.

Also I want to cry DUMBASSES at some of the people on the TWoP boards that whinged about the stand off scene where Delaney says that Apollo won't shoot, they completely missed the point in that it wasn't about Apollo shooting his captive (following the events of Black Market), but that he wouldn't risk D. Thanks for letting me vent, I feel much better now.

And the not so good stuff.

This whole Dualla/Apollo nonsense has been dragged in out of a soap opera. I'm not a fan at all. If they want to do any of that we should be having episodes with Cally and the Chief. Remember them? Hey, writers, remember them?

Bye Billy you were a really good character. I think they had a lot of interesting things they could have done with him.

They might as well rename the show Cloud 9, or better yet, do a spinoff so that I know when I tune in to (well, download) Battlestar Galactica, it's gonna be about Battlestar Galactica.

Listening to the podcasts (which get audibly get worse each week, I can live with Moore's children in the background, but now we've gone from someone cutting the grass in his garden to what sounded like a Buffalo stampede and then the rolling start at a NASCAR event) Ron seems to sort of pride the show on its lack of technobabble, which is comendable and a long running theme of the show, however, what the frack was all that dry ice nonsense? 'I think it works, I think they audience gets it' Well, no. I think it's half arsed writing to be honest. They could have done it quicker with dialogue by having Adama order the sensors to be register a certain setting. Done, there you go.

That scene at the end with Boomer. I'm sure it was implying something, but I'm not bright enough to work out what - that she's not really helping the fleet? Well duh!

Anyway, the more I think about this episode, the more I like it, so fingers crossed for next week. I'd give it, maybe  ***, on the Battlestar scale.

Invisiotext:

Post #: 80
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 15/2/2006 7:56:02 PM   
Helo

Finally, they let Billy have an Episode to really stretch his character out.  Loved the early scene with Madam Prez and Adama.... really letting himself go.  Then he gets the big cold one from D....awwww   Felt for his so much there.  He's been like a puppy dog round her fo so ong, he must've thought it was meant to be.
Oh, and then the killed him. Bugger.

Now I won't pretend that I didn't know this was going to happrn, I'm to much of a spoiler whore for that. But it nevertheless was so shocking as to how abrupt it was.  No dying words or choking.  Just plain old shot dead.  I will really miss him, not least as he was one of my lead suspects for being a Cylon (but that may still be possible y'know  ).

Ok, the whole apollo/D thing.  I for one like this relationship.  I just don't see why it shouldn't be explored.  Although D clearly liked Billy, I just don't think in her heart she loved the guy.  With Aollo, maybe not love yet but she clearly feels somehing for him that just wasn't there with poor old Billy.   I want to see this run on.  Also, it has the whole senior officer/junior officer thing going for it too: complications ahoy!  It's just far less predictable than Apollo and Kara and damn it I like unpredictable.

Great guest slot for Dana Delaney too.  Wonderful actress, nice to see her given a decent character to flesh out, just wish she didn't have to bite the big one too. 

Brief but significant appearance for Kara too.  She really isn't recovered yet is she.  Still v. fraught over the whole Caprica thing, no visible boozing going on but I'd assume she hasn't kicked that already.   BTW, nice outfit when we first saw her in this Ep 

Up next.... 2.17 'The Captain's Hand'.   Apollo and Kara go say "hi!" to Pegasus' new C.O. (latest corking guest star: John Heard! Cool!)... no preview up on the SciFi site yet (bugger!).  Wonder how long this one will last?

< Message edited by Helo -- 17/2/2006 6:37:53 PM >

"But it's Swiss!"

Post #: 81
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 15/2/2006 11:44:47 PM   
batrico

quote:

Up next.... 2.17 'The Captain's Hand'.   Apollo and Kara go say "hi!" to Pegasus' new C.O. (latest corking guest star: John Heard! Cool!)... no preview up on the SciFi site yet (bugger!).  Wonder how long this one will last?

It may not be much of a spoiler to you but a little warning would have been good to all of us who dont read any spoilers or synopsis of the following weeks ep.

Spoiler for Season 3.
<font color="#f1f1f1">For those who dont know already Lucy Lawless has signed on for multiple episodes of Season 3</font color="#f1f1f1">
end spoiler

damn my cloak is leaking.

< Message edited by batrico -- 15/2/2006 11:47:03 PM >

"I aim to misbehave"

(in reply to Helo)
Post #: 82
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 18/2/2006 9:18:29 AM   
Captain Black

While I'm waiting for 2.17 to download.....

Apparently the season finalé will be a 90 minute episode. So, er, yay!

2.17. The Captain's Hand.

Thankyou, that's my Battlestar back!

First off, nice opening shot and a bit of Trek-nobabble. I like it a lot.

Cally! and the Chief!! With a plotline (albeit briefly). More please.

Nice little shot of Pres and Billy. *sniff* Having said that, I like her new aide.
- She's not Billy.
- No she's not.
*Cough*I reckon she's a Cylon*cough*

Baltar, you magnificent bastard!

Lee was excellent in this, makes me forget all about the mis-step (for me, anyway) of Black Market. I think he raised his voice in this more times than the rest of the series.

Raptors have FTL drives?

And I think the BSG equivalent of a Trek redshirt is a Pegasus Commander. Let's see if that term sticks. Gardner had a decent, if a touch predictable storyline. Nice to see him go through a bit of self sacrific rather than being killed.

I think you can make a good argument for Lee being given command ahead of, say, Tigh. They've been through a battle will Lee in command.

Didn't really like that they got hit by 'nukes' because of the sheer amount of a damage that one would cause, I'd be happier with a vaguer term of 'warhead', but that's just me being picky.

In addition, did anyone notice the bit in the previously on segment which wasn't in the previous episde, where Adama announced the name of Garner? Presumably a cut sequence or I was paying attention.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 18/2/2006 3:58:35 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to batrico)
Post #: 83
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 18/2/2006 7:48:52 PM   
Timon

2.17 The Captain's Hand

Lee's the new Pegasus commander eh? That was a mistake on Adama's part as next time his son disagrees with him, he'll have the power of a state of the art Battlestar to back him up. Besides that though it does mean the military aspect of the fleet will now be more unified rather than the two seperate ships having their own different rules.

The abortion issue. I was wondering when it would come up after all, each week the fleet's numbers dwindle due to some battle/murder/accident so in one sense it makes sense, but i love the way Baltar played it. Sneaky bastard, but Zarack is right about some people being more science minded than religious. Christ, how extremist are the Geminons!?

The Cylons were back! I was wondering where they'd gone. Besides Scar, there hasn't really been a Cylon threat, it was like they'd taken a break trying to kill mankind. Good to see their ambush almost worked.

Garner's story, predictable but i liked it. Personally, it's the whole Apollo/Dee thing that's getting to me. She seems to have completly forgotten Billy, she led the poor guy on, he got killed and what does she do? Jump into bed with Apollo. It's annoying because before this little tryst, i really liked her, now i just think of her as a harpie!

Also with Billy's death, does that mean we could see more of the secondary characters killed in the future? Are the likes of Kat, Helo, Hotdog, Dee, Cottle, Tyrol, Cally safe or will they go the way of Billy and commanders of the Pegasus?

Post #: 84
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 19/2/2006 9:49:41 PM   
Beckymonster

2.17 The Captain's Hand

Welcome back BSG... We've missed you! 

Thought that the B Plot was superbly played out.  I'll keep my personal politics out of my reply but I can understand Roslin's dilemma completely.  As for Baltar... what an utter and complete Bar Steward, wonderfully played by James Callis as ever. 

Though I do believe that we already know the idenity of his er.... 'running mate'?  Wonder how he's going to take to the possible president having permanent hallucinations all the time!

As for the A-plot...  Boy does the Peg...  sorry, The Beast, get through commanders or what?  Let's hope that they keep hold of this one a bit longer than the rest.
Also - it's nice to have a Commander Adama again!  Still having problems in thinking of Adama Snr as 'Admiral' - give me a couple more episodes and I might make it! 

Other good things about this episode...  Chief and Cally (which must've pleased Helo and Capt. Black no end!) making an appearance.  Ditto Doc Cottle.  Apollo with not much on.  General Male Nudity on the Pegasus  (me...  shallow?  What took you so long to realise that one?) Mme Prez and the Admiral acting like an old married couple 'What?!'

I hear that next week's one is going to be a doooozy!  One bad thing though...  only three more to go

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 85
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 26/2/2006 11:25:02 AM   
Captain Trips

Episode 2:18

Without doubt this is, in my opinion, the best episode of BSG to date. The way they portrayed Six having visions of Baltar in the same way that he himself is having them was absolute genius.

I like how they decided to keep Sharon's baby alive. The whole situation was well handled, plus Doc Cottle seems to pretty much steal every scene he's in. Wonder what will happen when Maya inevitably finds out her baby is a hybrid?

And finally... Civil war amongst the Cylons?!? I for one can't wait for the climax to this series, if the ending of series 1 was anything to go by.

Ronald Moore, I salute you

Post #: 86
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 26/2/2006 12:45:30 PM   
Captain Black

First of all, Ron Moore was utterly hilarious on the podcast for 217, even having a go at me (well, peeps like me ) for criticising the background noise. Gotta worry about the guy's lungs though he gets through a fair few cigarettes in 45 minutes.

2.18.Downloaded.

Oooh, I'm even excited by the previouslies now. More bits that were not (from my memory) in the previous episodes.

Not quite my favourite, Captain Trips, though I loved this episode because it really expanded the whole Battlestar Galactica universe, rather than being this intense, but quite linear, storyline from season 1 - now it's just stepped up a whole new level of complexity. Loved everything, the acting (particularly Callis), the relationship between 6 and 8 (or Sharon if you prefer )

So many nice touches including the birthing environment and the notion of memories being passed over. Even Anders was pretty good (and, yes, Timon it does look likely that the fleet will be going back to Caprica very soon, that liar Ron Moore )

All the stuff on the fleet was good too, the aformentioned great Doc. Cottle, the Chief scattering the ashes with Helo, Helo's line about the Cylon god ('hey folks, can't we just all get along?').

The CG used for the centurions was a slightly higher quality than in previous episodes too, they've sharpened up the texturing and lighting.

**** on my Galactica scale.

Edited for spelling.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 26/2/2006 3:14:46 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Captain Trips)
Post #: 87
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 26/2/2006 2:24:32 PM   
Captain Trips

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

First of all, Ron Moore was utterly hilarious on the podcast for 217, even having a go at me (well, peeps like me ) for criticising the background noise. Gotta worry about the guy's lungs though he gets through a fair few cigarettes in 45 minutes.

2.18.Downloaded.

Oooh, I'm even excited by the previouslies now. More bits that were not (from my memory) in the previous episodes.

Not quite my favourite, Captain Trips, though I loved this episode because it really expanded the whole Battlestar Galactica universe, rather than being this intense, but quite linear, storyline from season 1 - now it's just stepped up a whole new level of complexity. Loved everything, the acting (particularly Callis), the relationship between 6 and 8 (or Sharon if you prefer )

So many nice touches including the birthing environment and the notion of memories being passed over. Even Anders was pretty good (and, yes, Timon it does look likely that the fleet will be going back to Caprica very soon, that lier Ron Moore )

All the stuff on the fleet was good too, the aformentioned great Doc. Cottle, the Chief scattering the ashes with Helo, Helo's line about the Cylon god ('hey folks, can't we just all get along?').

The CG used for the centurions was a slightly higher quality than in previous episodes too, they've sharpened up the texturing and lighting.

**** on my Galactica scale.

The reason I loved it and rated it as my favourite was because of, as you mentioned, the expansion fo the universe. The disorientation and horror that the Cylons face when their consciousness gets transmitted to a new body was certainly not how I imagined the process to be. I thought it would be more painless. Plus the prospect of Cylon civil war (along with the possibility of Caprica Six and original Sharon getting back to the ones they love) is as mouth watering a prospect as I've ever seen in a TV show.

One thing... (total conjecture and possible accidental spoiler!!)

Doc Cottle's "Well, you seem to have thought of everything..." line to Roslin seemed a bit... ominous to me. Could he be a possible Cylon sleeper? I would hope not, but the line seemed to be a bit emphasised to me. Maybe I'm looking into it a little too much...

Post #: 88
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 26/2/2006 3:33:28 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

Captain Trips:
The reason I loved it and rated it as my favourite was because of, as you mentioned, the expansion fo the universe. The disorientation and horror that the Cylons face when their consciousness gets transmitted to a new body was certainly not how I imagined the process to be. I thought it would be more painless.

I think they did something similar in awful Arnie starrer The Sixth Day, with clones being born with (for lack of a better term) 'inherited' memories. However, with BSG being an infinitely more intelligent proposition, they delved into the possibilities of the psychological effect that being reborn might have.

quote:

Plus the prospect of Cylon civil war (along with the possibility of Caprica Six and original Sharon getting back to the ones they love) is as mouth watering a prospect as I've ever seen in a TV show.

Indeed, you couldn't present huge idelogical shift outside the realm of sci fi. It reminds me a bit of S4 Babylon 5....

I must admit I didn't pick up on the Roslin line, but assuming the emphasis was deliberate, I'll tend towards it being more to do with the Cylon blood than any possibility she herself is a Cylon. That would be a shocker though. We do know that human form Cylon blood is identical though, don't we (? correct me if I'm wrong) - it's only Hera who has the 'octagonal blood' . I didn't think much of it at the time, but it was interesting to see how the Cylons became more soft and open minded as (in particular) Roslin was stronger and more close minded. I've always seen Helo as a bit of a key in this respect and it was reinforced in this episode - he's the best bridge between the humans and Cylons.

Edit: And another thing we learned this episode: Boomer keeps her house tidier than Starbuck (even though it was the same set, right?). Nice octagonal picture frames.

< Message edited by Captain Black -- 26/2/2006 4:03:55 PM >

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Captain Trips)
Post #: 89
RE: Battlestar Galactica - 26/2/2006 6:24:01 PM   
Captain Trips

I actually meant that maybe Cottle was the Cylon...

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Battlestar Galactica Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI