Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Galactica 1980

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Galactica 1980 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Galactica 1980 - 30/1/2007 10:05:26 PM   
elab49

For anyone interested, who has Bravo, Bravo has gone from the original BSG series straight into the much maligned and completely unavailable Galactica 1980, which includes the oft referred to epi 'The Return of Starbuck'.

Showing at 6pm daily the first epi was tonight.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Galactica 1980 - 30/1/2007 10:09:15 PM   
Wedge

Shit, I don't have Bravo.  It was a fairly poor programme but it would be nice to see it again, particularly the 'The Return of Starbuck'.   *Mild Spoiler* What ever became of him?  We'll never know. sigh

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: Galactica 1980 - 30/1/2007 11:36:52 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

Shit, I don't have Bravo.  It was a fairly poor programme but it would be nice to see it again, particularly the 'The Return of Starbuck'.   *Mild Spoiler* What ever became of him?  We'll never know. sigh

He joined the A-Team, don't you remember? As if Templeton Peck is a real name...

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 3
RE: Galactica 1980 - 30/1/2007 11:54:10 PM   
sanchia

It was a melancholy episode

Galactica 1980 with the flying motorbikes, scouts who can leap twenty feet in the air and Barry Van Dyke son of Dick.  What more can you ask for?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 4
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 11:07:22 AM   
Peter Dragon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

Shit, I don't have Bravo.† It was a fairly poor programme but it would be nice to see it again, particularly the 'The Return of Starbuck'.†† *Mild Spoiler* What ever became of him?† We'll never know. sigh

He became a being of light didn't he? Or something like that............

Fuck land! I'm on a boat motherfucker!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 5
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 11:43:20 AM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

For anyone interested, who has Bravo, Bravo has gone from the original BSG series straight into the much maligned and completely unavailable Galactica 1980, which includes the oft referred to epi 'The Return of Starbuck'.

Showing at 6pm daily the first epi was tonight.

In case your interested, and in case Bravo are showing them in the proper order, 'The Return of Starbuck' is the tenth and last episode of this very short series.

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 11:56:28 AM   
elab49

I assume it will be as the original series was transmitted properly (although, annoyingly, the final epi was transmitted without the talk track and all you got was background noise!).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 7
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 11:56:41 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

***** SPOILERS ****
I thought when they made it to Earth it definately became a bit crap - the new characters were lame and lacked the coolness of the original crew.

The Starbuck episode - I think Starbuck had crash landed on some planet and met some girl who they had a kid with or something - it was really sad. Then if my memory is correct the kid left on a ship that didn't have enough space for Starbuck leaving him behind.

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 31/1/2007 11:57:09 AM >

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 8
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 12:05:33 PM   
elab49

I seem to recall him being left on a planet too - they do like that in SF, being left in limbo like Quantum Leap.

quote:

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 9
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 12:14:47 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

I seem to recall him being left on a planet too - they do like that in SF, being left in limbo like Quantum Leap.

I haven't seen any of the new Battlestar series at all - is it any good compared to the old one? I avoid reading the relevant thread in case of spoilers

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 10
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 12:26:00 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

***** SPOILERS ****
I thought when they made it to Earth it definately became a bit crap - the new characters were lame and lacked the coolness of the original crew.

The Starbuck episode - I think Starbuck had crash landed on some planet and met some girl who they had a kid with or something - it was really sad. Then if my memory is correct the kid left on a ship that didn't have enough space for Starbuck leaving him behind.

I can remember he had reprogrammed a Cylon which became his friend and then found a woman who was from another dimension who had come to the planet to give birth.  Cylons attacked whilst she was in the process and Starbuck and friendly Cylon held them off whilst extra dimensional woman gave birth.  The friendly Cylon was destroyed and the woman and baby returned to their dimension leaving Starbuck alone on the planet.  Bit of a downer really.

with regards to new Galactica.  If you like your programmes to be unrelentingly dark and devoid of humour then this will be your thing.  It is good but not a good idea to watch a lot of episodes in one go without getting therapy.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 31/1/2007 12:30:36 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 11
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 12:40:13 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

with regards to new Galactica.  If you like your programmes to be unrelentingly dark and devoid of humour then this will be your thing.  It is good but not a good idea to watch a lot of episodes in one go without getting therapy.

Fucking hell!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 12
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 1:00:00 PM   
sanchia

It is a very good, quality sci-fi drama but it does pummel away at you a bit but I would say worth a look.  It lacks the camp value of the original although I do understand the actress who plays Number Six does look quite good in this months Playboy

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 13
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 1:18:19 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

I haven't seen any of the new Battlestar series at all - is it any good compared to the old one? I avoid reading the relevant thread in case of spoilers

BSG is one of the best things on TV at the moment and one of the best SF creations ever - and certainly not devoid of humour (think of James Callas in season1 - a joy to watch). It is, however, intelligent as well as action-packed. Some people I think get disappointed because they expect the constant high adrenaline of poorly scripted shows like 24, which are, however, superbly paced. With BSG you get quality. The original is camp crap in comparison and really not even remotely on the same level.

But the current BSG? About the only show on TV that deals with religion, war and terrorism in any kind of depth. It is described as not only as the best SF but the best political thriller currently on TV.

quote:

Post #: 14
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 2:04:39 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

quote:

quote:

BSG is one of the best things on TV at the moment and one of the best SF creations ever - and certainly not devoid of humour (think of James Callas in season1 - a joy to watch). It is, however, intelligent as well as action-packed. Some people I think get disappointed because they expect the constant high adrenaline of poorly scripted shows like 24, which are, however, superbly paced. With BSG you get quality. The original is camp crap in comparison and really not even remotely on the same level.

But the current BSG? About the only show on TV that deals with religion, war and terrorism in any kind of depth. It is described as not only as the best SF but the best political thriller currently on TV.

So, it'll be worth a blind buy then?

Also, is the new mini series set before the events of Season 1?

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 2:07:28 PM   
Zaphod121

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

quote:

quote:

quote:

But the current BSG? About the only show on TV that deals with religion, war and terrorism in any kind of depth. It is described as not only as the best SF but the best political thriller currently on TV.

So, it'll be worth a blind buy then?

Also, is the new mini series set before the events of Season 1?

Yeah, think of the Mini Series as a 3 hour pilot, and then Season 1 continues on from that

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 16
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 2:08:09 PM   
elab49

The mini series is effectively the pilot episode so integral to season 1. A poster in the main thread mentioned managing to get the mini series and S1 and 2 for under a total of £35. I know CD Wow has the latter for about £15 and the mini is in most sales at the moment.

quote:

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 17
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 9:34:01 PM   
furrybastard

I can't recommend the new BSG enough. Pretty much just have to echo what elab said 

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 9:40:38 PM   
hongkongphooey

BSG is brilliant. I only got into it last January, and knew within the first 5 minutes of the miniseries that I was hooked. Couldn't believe I'd missed out on it for so long - it is very different from the scifi show I expected. It is character driven, and what I love about it is the way it portrays both sides of any conflict - you always question where your loyalties are as a viewer and it is never that easy to take a 'side'.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 19
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 9:49:07 PM   
sanchia

You have got to admit it is pretty unrelenting though   Very heavy on the realism which does work well.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to hongkongphooey)
Post #: 20
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 10:12:06 PM   
elab49

I honestly don't think I'd agree - but it may just be a matter of description? I think of unrelenting as not showing a great deal of variation in terms of pace, normally to hide other inadequacies ie script. BSG is paced at several levels in different episodes - a variation that shows the confidence in the quality of the production. So, no - I wouldn't really call it unrelenting. But that's just how I define it.

You know, I seriously forgot how bad Galactica 80 is. It is like one extended bad Star Trek holosuite epi after another!

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 21
RE: Galactica 1980 - 31/1/2007 10:19:46 PM   
sanchia

I meant more unrelenting in that it is continuously dark in tone with no real humour to punctuate the this tone.

Anyway change of subject. One thing I have been wondering.  In a Simpsons Halloween episode comic Book Guy had kidnapped Lucy Lawless and when covered in lucite posed in Lrne Greens Battlestar Galactica death scene which was "Best death scene ever."  Did Lorne Green die in Battlestar Galactica as he was in 1980 and that sort of peeters out at the end?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 22
RE: Galactica 1980 - 1/2/2007 12:00:28 AM   
Macphisto

The Return of Starbuck made me want to jump off a bridge when I was a kid. Such a depressing ending.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 23
RE: Galactica 1980 - 1/2/2007 9:11:50 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

I meant more unrelenting in that it is continuously dark in tone with no real humour to punctuate the this tone.

Ah - then we don't agree. Certainly not about the lack of humour.

Must look out that Simpsons epi though. But I don't remember him dying in the show - I'm sure he is in the last flashback epi (although reading about that, apparently they scripted but didn't film another epi where Starbuck was rescued by the ship of light).

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 24
RE: Galactica 1980 - 1/2/2007 10:29:53 AM   
Wedge

quote:

The mini series is effectively the pilot episode so integral to season 1. A poster in the main thread mentioned managing to get the mini series and S1 and 2 for under a total of £35. I know CD Wow has the latter for about £15 and the mini is in most sales at the moment.

That was me  

Mini-series can be bought at £5ish from most places, S1 has been sold by Virginmetastores for £12.99 and then £9.99 (check as they may have put prices back up again - shops, not online), and CD-WOW has S2 for £15.99. 

Bargains! 

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 25
RE: Galactica 1980 - 1/2/2007 11:43:28 AM   
Base

Just to drag it all back on-topic (and with mild *SPOILERS*, if you can have them for such an old show)...

I can't remember what happens to the woman in the end, but the baby that Starbuck sends off in the ship is the annoying super-intelligent brat that advises Adama in Galactica '80.  And the woman was pregnant when she arrived on the planet, he's not actually Starbucks kid (possibly that was the original intention, but c'mon, NO ONE will believe that basin haired, bespectacled little tit could ever be the fruit of Starbucks loins!!!!!)....

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 26
RE: Galactica 1980 - 1/2/2007 11:45:59 AM   
Wedge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

Just to drag it all back on-topic (and with mild *SPOILERS*, if you can have them for such an old show)...

I can't remember what happens to the woman in the end, but the baby that Starbuck sends off in the ship is the annoying super-intelligent brat that advises Adama in Galactica '80.  And the woman was pregnant when she arrived on the planet, he's not actually Starbucks kid (possibly that was the original intention, but c'mon, NO ONE will believe that basin haired, bespectacled little tit could ever be the fruit of Starbucks loins!!!!!)....

Yes, never quite got that story line.  I'm sure they were just making things up as they went along.

"Everybody's dead Dave"

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 27
RE: Galactica 1980 - 1/2/2007 11:55:55 AM   
sanchia

I'd completely forgotten about Dr Zee.  From the look of IMDB James Patrick Stuart has had quite a few tv roles since then.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 28
RE: Galactica 1980 - 1/2/2007 2:36:01 PM   
Captain Black

RE: Lorne Greene. I think the Simpsons gag was more a comment on his roles in the past rather than Galactica specifically, I don't remember him dying in the series (has been years though). Wasn't he in a lot of Westerns and so on that may have involved his characters dying? He was the first "guest star" on Police Squad too.

What was the deal with the format change? You'd think if it was sufficiently succesful to warrant a second season they'd have carried on with Starbuck and Apollo as central characters. It was just odd. Buck Rogers did a similar thing in its second year and totally reworked its format as well, but at least all the original characters were there. I believe that was largely down to Gil Gerard's involvement on the creative side of things.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 29
RE: Galactica 1980 - 1/2/2007 2:37:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

That sprog was definately a bit crap - just one of the problems with the series when they got to earth

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Galactica 1980 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI