Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Dirt Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dirt - 27/1/2007 11:43:21 AM   
Grunny

Has anyone else seen this show?!?
I watched the first episode last night and I was really impressed with it.

The show is all about A tabloid editor (countney cox) and her photographer try to make their way in the world of celebrity journalism.

I only really knew the basic show outline, and I wasn't sure what tone, style it would have.

The show opens at a hollywood party with Cox eyeing up celebrities antics for the front cover of her magazine, before being told warned about drinking her drink as everyone at the party would like her dead.
I quickly realised this show isn't "Entourage" like, which i was excepting, its very dark and I can only compare it to Nip/tuck in Tabloids instead of Plastics. Drana with very Dark Humour

Courtney Cox is a feisty bitch and play it extremly well especially one scene where she tells an actor tell her all he ever wanted to be was be an actor and she replies "you didn't wanted to be an actor you wanted to be famous!"

The show has some fantastic surreal image due to the mental state of one character, a great scene in a shop when he walks down a hair dye aisle and all the faces on the boxes start to come alive, it was very Frighterns meets Chris Cunningham.
I'm gonna keep watching.  

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”
Post #: 1
RE: Dirt - 19/2/2007 8:04:27 PM   
Sugar Kowalczyk

I was wondering about this show cannot wait for it to come over here in the UK I love Courtney and from hearing what you've said you've got me interested now... as I love Nip/Tuck so this should be something right up my street. I also hear Jenny Aniston going to be in an episode... can't wait  

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 2
RE: Dirt - 19/2/2007 8:22:51 PM   
*emz6*

aparently they do a lesbo kiss, thats what i read somewhere. sounds like a bit of a shameless ratings grabber to me.

anyway i have read a bit about the show and i think it looks quite interesting so hopefully channel 4 might pick it up.

(in reply to Sugar Kowalczyk)
Post #: 3
RE: Dirt - 20/2/2007 9:52:31 AM   
stuartbannerman

ive seen the first 5 episodes and its pretty good. its taking a bit of a critical bashing from net geeks online though but i think its fashionable to hate every series and loathe every film on the IMDB isnt it...
Its a decent series. not as good as some but far better than others.

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 4
RE: Dirt - 20/2/2007 9:54:21 AM   
Captain Black

I've seen the first two episodes of this and I thought it was bloody awful to be honest. I too hoped it would be a kind of Nip/Tuck style black comedy; it was neither black nor funny in any way - just flat and dull.

It wasn't devoid of good ideas - the graphics and some of the visions Don experiences as part of his schizophrenia could have really worked really well if done correctly - but my main problem is that the show wasn't even trying to be funny, and it's so superficial it doesn't work as a drama.

Cox may be a decent comedy actress (arguable, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt) but here she isn't even given the chance to play an acerbic (House-esque or, as I was reminded in the new shows thread, a version on her Gale Weathers character from the Screams) anti-hero that the show really needed. For example, in the above quote: "you didn't wanted to be an actor you wanted to be famous!" that I found amusing in the trailer doesn't work in context as the character at whom it's directed is established as a good, but unsuccesful actor rather than a crap one whose hype has run out.

Admittedly it may have improved after I stopped watching, but it all seemed somewhat purposeless.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 5
RE: Dirt - 20/2/2007 10:57:39 AM   
Grunny

I've seen up to episode 5 now and I really like the show, It shows the nasty /dark side of tabloids and celebrity!

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 6
RE: Dirt - 12/3/2007 6:09:11 PM   
Desperate Teenager

Just caught about three episodes of this.

I thought it was awesome

Pilot was a bit average and that disheartened me as I was quite looking forward to this show but the second and third episode were amazing

I think the acting is excellent, very understated and none of the melodramatic crap you usually get in shows like this. I'm amazed because I've already developed strong opinions about certain characters yet I feel that they're definately going to change

I especially like the stylistic edge to it.

They call me The Wild Rose
But my name was Elisa Day
Why they call me it I do not know
For my name was Elisa Day

*~Catch me when I fall~*

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Dirt Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI