Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Single Malt Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Single Malt Club Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Single Malt Club - 5/5/2010 4:11:27 AM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

Regrettably no malt for me for Xmas, only a litre of Jack (which is still appreciated though). I'm pretty much all out of malt at the moment, which is quite distressing; I've just got some various bits and bobs of bourbon. Oh yeah, I've still got the Bruichladdich 40 year old unopened. Too scared!

Never heard of that Auchentoshan...

How's that 40 year old coming along Rikkie? Surely you've had occasion to crack open a thousand pound bottle of whisky by now? As Miles says in Sideways; opening a bottle like that is the occasion

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 121
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/5/2010 3:01:46 PM   
BigKovacs

I want to bump this as I also want to know how it feels, with some jealousy and fear.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 122
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/5/2010 3:20:17 PM   
rikkie

Ooh, sorry, missed the post.

It's there. It's still sat there, boxed and sealed in my drinks cabinet.

I'm hoping, just hoping, that if things come off I'm going to be opening it within a matter of months - watch this space! Actually, what's scary is that you really can't buy it any more anywhere, and it only sells on auction sites. It's one thing to have a really valuable bottle of whiskey, but to have one that you can't get hold of any more is really scary. Last Christmas, a friend brought around a bottle of malt from some disused and dead distillery that cost him 80 (I can't for the life of my remember the name of it). It was really really good, but I couldn't help but be really sad drinking it knowing that there was none left of it.

To keep me going I bought myself a bottle of Ardbeg the other week. It's very nice and defintely in the Laguvalin, Laprhoiag mode. Recommended, though possibly only if on offer.

How was the 21 year old Bruichladdich, Beerman?

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 123
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/5/2010 3:53:35 PM   
BigKovacs

I understand the fear rikkie and I don't blame you if you don't open it. It must be heady to have something like that in your collection.

I'm just getting into Ardbeg and am really enjoying it, it's clearly a cousin of Laphroiag, heavy as hell and would be perfect on a winters night.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 124
RE: The Single Malt Club - 3/7/2010 1:49:29 PM   
JessFranco

Sainsbury's are doing Glenmorangie for 20 at the moment.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 125
RE: The Single Malt Club - 12/12/2010 6:45:47 PM   
JessFranco

Picked up a bottle of the Sainsbury's own-brand Dun Leire 8-year-old malt that Cooley is producing for them. It's excellent value for 14 at the moment. Jim Murray's Whisky Bible 2011 named it the year's best Irish whiskey - picking up an enormous 95.5 / 100. 

< Message edited by JessFranco -- 12/12/2010 6:46:08 PM >

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 126
RE: The Single Malt Club - 12/12/2010 7:45:14 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Hopefully the wife'll have bought me a bottle of Lagavulin for X-mas. I have a cigar she bought me for Valentines Day to enjoy with it.

For my part I did the right thing and bought a bottle of Van Ryn 12 year old brandy yesterday. Its not whisky, but its bloody good stuff.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 127
RE: The Single Malt Club - 12/12/2010 8:48:20 PM   
sanchia

Has anyone tried any English Whisky

http://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/acatalog/english-whisky-co-liqueurs.html

I need to get a friend a Christmas present and he is something of a single malt fan and as it is just down the road from where I live...

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 128
RE: The Single Malt Club - 13/12/2010 10:07:03 AM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Thinking of buying my brother a bottle of Kavalan, which is a Taiwanese Whiskey. Seems to get good reviews, I'm just wondering if I can do better for 40 with a Japanese import here and send that home. Confusing times.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 129
RE: The Single Malt Club - 4/1/2011 4:57:06 PM   
BigKovacs

I got a bottle Auchentoschen for chritmas. God knows if I've spelt that correctly, it's good though, light and lemony, a typical lowland apparantly.

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 130
RE: The Single Malt Club - 4/1/2011 5:06:34 PM   
Hood_Man

Any recommendations for a not too expensive whiskey?  Nothing in the region of Rikks million pound whiskey or anything, just something affordable for an ex-student that can be bought at a supermarket.

I'm no expert on alcoholic beverages of any sort unfortunately, but if it helps I don't like Jack Daniels, but I do like Teachers.  And I don't like mixing it with Cola or Lemonade or anything like that...

Any suggestions?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 131
RE: The Single Malt Club - 4/1/2011 6:38:49 PM   
BigKovacs

Literally what sort of price bracket are you looking at mate? You can get some cheeky deals at some super markets?

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 132
RE: The Single Malt Club - 4/1/2011 6:42:50 PM   
JessFranco

Do you want something distinctive or a little smoother? 

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 133
RE: The Single Malt Club - 4/1/2011 6:47:14 PM   
JessFranco

Had a quick look at the Sainsbury's website and their deals are pretty weak, post-Christmas. They do have a 10-year-old Talisker for 24, reduced from 30 though. It's a fine whisky - a good amount of peat and a slightly salty tang, like sea air. It's much more approachable than a Laphroaig or an Ardbeg but robust enough to really taste it. 

Gets a whacking great 93 / 100 in Jim White's Whisky Bible, btw.

< Message edited by JessFranco -- 4/1/2011 6:51:30 PM >

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 134
RE: The Single Malt Club - 4/1/2011 7:17:05 PM   
Hood_Man

Yeah sorry, around the 20 mark I was thinking of.

Jess, Talisker rings a bell actually, I think I tried it with some mates once and I seem to remember liking it, so I'll be giving that one a go at some point.

A whiskey bible?  I might have to look around for one of them too.  I'm not much of a wine drinker, so I'd like to increase my knowledge of something a bit more refined that lager

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 135
RE: The Single Malt Club - 4/1/2011 8:24:28 PM   
BigKovacs

A ten year old Talisker is a steal for 24. It's a classic dram, punchy without being overpowering and it generally scores very highly in all the currenter whisky guides.

Good blends like Monkey Shoulder or some Johnnie Walkers are well worth a crack at that price range too, they're miles better than the usual top shelf blends that are full of sweeteners and are good starting points before moving onto single malts.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 136
RE: The Single Malt Club - 9/1/2011 5:09:18 PM   
indysgill

I dont drink, I just come in here to read the great descriptions. 

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 137
RE: The Single Malt Club - 9/1/2011 5:53:45 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Hood Man, here's a mnemonic to avoid embarrassment. There's no "e" in Scotland, so there's no "e" in whisky. 

Incidentally I bought some Penderyn while I was over in West Wales last week. I wasn't even planning on buying any, but the guy saw me looking and said, "I have a bottle open if you want to try some". I figured it was nearly midday, so it was OK to start drinking.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 138
RE: The Single Malt Club - 8/2/2011 10:15:02 PM   
Biggus

Just finished a bottle of 12 year old Cragganmore which my Dad bought me for Christmas. At first I thought it was a little underwhelming but I found it really easy to drink and the subtleties won me over after a while. A solid bet and would look forward to another bottle sometime.

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 139
RE: The Single Malt Club - 9/2/2011 12:38:58 AM   
homersimpson_esq

I just got a "Selection Box" of Single malts to give a try. Included were:
a 12 year old Glenkinchie
a 15 year old Dalwhinnie
a 12 year old Singleton of Dufftown
and
a 10 year old Talisker

I'll report back as I try them.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 140
RE: The Single Malt Club - 9/2/2011 9:56:11 PM   
JessFranco

Wasn't massively impressed with Penderyn. There's something about the hint of ripe fruit i found vaguely offputting. Would give it another go though.

Post #: 141
RE: The Single Malt Club - 9/2/2011 10:01:45 PM   
Peppermint

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Hood Man, here's a mnemonic to avoid embarrassment. There's no "e" in Scotland, so there's no "e" in whisky.

Incidentally I bought some Penderyn while I was over in West Wales last week. I wasn't even planning on buying any, but the guy saw me looking and said, "I have a bottle open if you want to try some". I figured it was nearly midday, so it was OK to start drinking.

Absolutely, that's as good a time as any

At the risk of being a philstine/wimp, are there any whiskies any of you would recommend for a person that doesn't like drinking spirits neat? other than completely cheap/horrible ones, I'm not completely without taste, you know

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

Post #: 142
RE: The Single Malt Club - 9/2/2011 10:32:03 PM   
JessFranco

Any average blend should be ok for mixed drinks, i find. Unlike most cheap vodkas, stuff like Teachers and Famous Grouse genuinely aren't bad.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 143
RE: The Single Malt Club - 9/2/2011 10:37:52 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Just thought I'd let you know, I've used this particular nugget a few times now. Sadly it's only when selling whisky fudge or liqueur chocolates, but it always does the trick

Post #: 144
RE: The Single Malt Club - 9/2/2011 11:29:23 PM   
homersimpson_esq

The Glenkinchie was lovely. Tried it neat first, and it wasn't overpowering. Added a drop of water to it, and it was even better.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 145
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/2/2011 9:49:05 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

Unless you live in Ireland that is!  And if you haven't tried whiskey, get you taste buds round a drop of this:

We don't roast the barley over peat so you don't get that peaty smoky taste so beloved of single malt connosseurs, but instead we triple-distill so instead we get more of that, you know, whiskey taste!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 146
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/2/2011 9:58:37 AM   
JessFranco

Ireland's whiskey industry isn't in the best of health. For every one bottle of Irish whiskey sold, there are twenty of scotch. Most of that's Jameson's, Tullamore Dew or Bushmills too. I think there are only two working distilleries in the South.

Can anyone recommend a good Irish malt?

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 147
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/2/2011 10:18:19 AM   
sharkboy

Yeah, if it wasn't for its contract to bottle and ship other whiskeys, even Bushmills (the world's oldest distillery) would be teetering on the abyss by all accounts.

Speaking of which, Bushmill's 10yr old is a good award-winning single malt for around 25-30 a bottle.  At the same price, if you don't want to venture too far from the peaty taste of Scottish malts, try Connemara.  If you want to spend a bit more (40-50), Connemara also offer a cask strength single malt that has won many awards as do Tyrconnel.  Bushmills also offer a 16-yr old malt that I tried on my last tour of the distillery and it is very sippable indeed

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 148
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/2/2011 10:23:21 AM   
JessFranco

Cheers! Felt a bit of a traitor sitting in Offaly drinking Ardbeg at Christmas. I'll have to invest next time i'm over.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 149
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/2/2011 6:57:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

Unless you live in Ireland that is! 

But there's an 'e' in Ireland, so there's an 'e' in whiskey... Do not argue with genius mnemonic.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Single Malt Club Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI