Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Single Malt Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Single Malt Club Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Single Malt Club - 29/4/2009 11:35:36 AM   
kenboy00

talisker for me please
with nothing in it

(in reply to Izzardesque2)
Post #: 91
RE: The Single Malt Club - 29/4/2009 11:48:03 AM   
BigKovacs

A naked Talisker's a thing of beauty. I'm going on a surf tour this weekend in Cornwall and may take a bottle to warm me in my tent of an evening. Great stuff.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to kenboy00)
Post #: 92
RE: The Single Malt Club - 29/4/2009 11:51:29 AM   
kenboy00

smashing

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 93
RE: The Single Malt Club - 12/5/2009 1:10:02 PM   
M

This week, I 'ave been mostly drinking:

...well, not actually drank it yet - had a sample in the shop (at ten in the morning ) - and saving my first dram for the evening of my last exam, which is in a week.

I like to watch.

(in reply to kenboy00)
Post #: 94
RE: The Single Malt Club - 12/5/2009 1:14:47 PM   
Mojo

Anybody a fan of Glengoyne? Went to the distillery in Scotland and tasted 10, 17 and 21 year malts. My mate got a me this for my birthday, yet to have some:

This is good stuff too:

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to M)
Post #: 95
RE: The Single Malt Club - 13/5/2009 8:38:31 PM   
M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

This is good stuff too:

Think I polished off a bottle of that not too long ago Mojo, and remember enjoying it at the time. I wish I had a better tasting vocabulary to describe what I thought of it!

I like to watch.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 96
RE: The Single Malt Club - 10/6/2009 5:18:06 PM   
rikkie

Have just been given a bottle of Penderyn by my boss which is sounding most intriguing. It's a Welsh malt! Non chill filtered in Madeira casks and 46% - I'm very intrigued! I shall let you know what I think after I've tasted.

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to M)
Post #: 97
RE: The Single Malt Club - 19/7/2009 11:07:46 AM   
M

Speyside Story - my backpacking tour of the whisky region.

The first stop was the Glen Moray distillery in Elgin. The tour mentioned a lot off stuff about maltose, grist, mash tuns, pot stills, spirit safes, feints, hearts, draff and various other terms that utterly failed to sink in. Still, it was interesting to see up close for the first time how the process works, and it gives you a feel for the processes and technique behind the dram you're drinking.

The complimentary drink at the end was out of a choice of three: the Glen Moray Classic, a 12 year and a 16 year. Apparently the Classic was formly labled as a 6 year old, but had been languishing at the bottom of whisky charts due to the snobbery of most whisky drinkers. Once they'd renamed it 'Classic' it rocketed up to within the top five best sellers...

Anyway, being a snob, I opted for the 16 year old. The decription of it was of a "Christmasy" drink with rich, almost savoury flavours and a long finish. Although I couldn't pick out all the other flavours that had been mentioned, there was a really delicious taste to it, and the finish was warming and seemed to roll over the mouth for ages. Great stuff.

Second along the line was the Strathilsa Distillery in Keith. Whereas Elgin as a town had slightly disappointed me - Tesco superstores, M&S Just for Foods and the distillery in the middle of a pretty bland suburban housing estate - Keith had a much more remote feel to it, and the Strathisla building itself was the original distillery to have the pagoda design that's become so famous in the region.

The first dram before the tour was a Chivas Regal; they contribute much of their whisky to the blend. It was smooth and tasty, but was a bit tame when compared with the Strathisla 12 year old that followed after the tour. Dried fruits and oakiness is the best description of it I can muster, but it's definitely on my list to buy once I can find a bottle of it somewhere.

Walking for the best part of two days (in the rain) I'd arrived in Abelour. The trudge was entirely worth it as I was able to take the tour at the Aberlour distillery. If anyone is in the area and they can only go on one tour - take this one. A slightly nuts French Canadian brought the history and context to life and by now the whole process of whisky making was sinking in.

At the end of the tour there were six - yes, six - different drams to try. The first of these was simply the spirit without having been flavoured in any cask - it was clear and almost tasteless, but it gives an idea of how important and influential the cask process actually is. Following this were two cask strengths - one bourbon and one sherry - both only available for purchase on the tour; two of their standard bottlings - a 10 year old and a 15 year old (I think) - and, my persoanl favourite, the A'bunadh, which has a rather great story behind it. When the building was being restored in the 1970s, a bottle was discovered behind a wall, wrapped in a newspaper dated from the 19th century. After drinking most of it, it was sent for chemical analysis and given to master blenders for nosing and tasting. The A'bunadh - which means genesis or origins in Gaelic - is as close to the production and flavours of the 19th century bottle and was probably one of my favourite drams of the week.

Feeling particularly merry after that morning tour, I signed up for a nosing class that evening in Dufftown. Unfortunately, it came across more as a promotional evening for Tomintoul and Glencadam distilleries rather than a proper attempt to educate those at the tasting. Still, I got to taste Tomintoul 10, 12 (both rather bland) and 16 year old (a bit better but still nothing special), Glenccadam 10 and 15 year olds (which were both forgettable) and, finally, a dram of Ballantruan, which was going for a peaty taste rather than the lighter tones of Speyside, but still had some way to go if it was wanting to challenge Islay. Still, if I was merry in the morning, I was positively joyous by now, and had made friends with a Dutch couple I was sharing a taxi with. They were big whisky fans - and offered me a glass of some double casked whisky back at the campsite. Unfortunately I can't recall what it was - it knocked everything at the nosing night into a cocked hat. Oh, well.

Next up was a walk to Rothes and the Glen Grant distillery. A very modern, sleek-looking building and well tended gardens give the place a very fresh, cutting edge feel, but somehow just doesn't have the character of other locations. Perhaps it's because I had the most monotone, uninspiring tour guide who failed to bring any life to the place, but it doesn't quite capture the imagination as other distilleries...Still, there were no complaints about the whiskies being offered: fruity, floral, summery flavours and a lovely crisp after taste in both the 5 and 10 year olds. They were the ideal flavours after the slightly more heavy-going session of the day before and suited a stroll in the sun.

After a brief visit to the Dallas Dhu historic distillery and enjoying a Macallan 25 year old with a pub landlord I got talking to, the final destination was the Benromach distillery - the smallest working distillery in Speyside. It's a cute wee set up just outside Forres, and is notable for producing the world's only totally organic whisky - even the casks used are new as they want to guarentee that every step of the process originated from organic sources, something not possible with second hand sherry and bourbon casks. By now I could recite the whisky-making process inside out, but it was still interesting to see the slight variations in layout, stills and processes that provide hugely different results.

The whisky I tried post-tour was the 'Traditional' single malt. It uses all local barely and has a small use of peat in the malting process, so the flavours were earthy, cereal and a with slight smokey tone. A very impressive drink from such a small place, and was a highnote at the end of my own tour.

Next chance I get I'm heading to Islay and the islands or even further north, though I'd barely scratched the surface of the Speyside malts.

< Message edited by M -- 21/7/2009 11:58:49 AM >

I like to watch.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 98
RE: The Single Malt Club - 19/7/2009 11:13:38 AM   
OddCinema

I love Highland Park & Talisker, but one of my biggest favourites is:

(in reply to M)
Post #: 99
RE: The Single Malt Club - 28/12/2009 11:20:03 AM   
Biggus

My Dad bought me a bottle of Auchentoshan for Christmas. Not familiar with it myself. Anybody tried this?

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to OddCinema)
Post #: 100
RE: The Single Malt Club - 29/12/2009 12:25:48 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: OddCinema

I love Highland Park & Talisker, but one of my biggest favourites is:

I have a bottle of that on my person right now. I was given a bottle on Xmas eve for my 30th and have finished already so needed a new one. A real blinder of a dram!

I for got all about this thread and I'm pleased it's been bumped. I'm a much bigger fan of whisky now, I went on the Islay distillery tour in November and had an absolutely amazing time! really fantastic, I loved all the whiskys and the island itself is a lovely place. Laphroaig is my all time favourite still, it's arguably unsubtle in it's earlier years but the trusty 10 year old hits the spot every time for me and I'm never without a bottle.

My current collection stands as:

Laphroaig 10 years.
Laphroaig 18 years.
The Balvenie 12 years (sherry casked).
Bruichladdich Duke of Edinburgh special edition (15 years I think)
Bruichladdich 19 year Black Art.
Bunnahabhain 18 years.

I also have a 16 year old Lagavulin that's vintage was bottled roughly in the early 80's so I'm keeping that one mothballed.

As much as I'm hooked on the peat and smoke I'm looking to try out more milder stuff from the East, can't wait.

< Message edited by BigKovacs -- 29/12/2009 12:27:45 PM >

(in reply to OddCinema)
Post #: 101
RE: The Single Malt Club - 29/12/2009 5:16:52 PM   
rikkie

Regrettably no malt for me for Xmas, only a litre of Jack (which is still appreciated though). I'm pretty much all out of malt at the moment, which is quite distressing; I've just got some various bits and bobs of bourbon. Oh yeah, I've still got the Bruichladdich 40 year old unopened. Too scared!

Never heard of that Auchentoshan...

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 102
RE: The Single Malt Club - 29/12/2009 10:15:38 PM   
ilovebeerme

When you do open it I want a full and detailed tasting note

I got the 14 year old Bruichladdich from the Barolo cask this year.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 103
RE: The Single Malt Club - 30/12/2009 1:45:43 PM   
Sinatra

12 year old Redbreast Triple Distilled Pot Stilled

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 104
RE: The Single Malt Club - 1/1/2010 7:55:51 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

Do we have a smokey peaty section? That's my preference.

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 105
RE: The Single Malt Club - 4/1/2010 11:07:34 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

Regrettably no malt for me for Xmas, only a litre of Jack (which is still appreciated though). I'm pretty much all out of malt at the moment, which is quite distressing; I've just got some various bits and bobs of bourbon. Oh yeah, I've still got the Bruichladdich 40 year old unopened. Too scared!

Never heard of that Auchentoshan...

I don't blame you. I believe whisky should be drunk (unless it's an investment) but I'd be petrified too.

Speaking of which, has anyone actually invested in whisky at all?

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 106
RE: The Single Malt Club - 14/1/2010 9:26:50 PM   
JessFranco

This thread makes fantastic reading. After a while drinking Walker's Black Label, i've decided to move on to single malts. I've picked up the 10 year old Talisker and Aberlour and was really impressed by both.

Even the French know better than to fuck with me

http://closer-to-perfection.tumblr.com/

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 107
RE: The Single Malt Club - 14/1/2010 10:22:35 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I've got a bottle of Glen Ord which I bought about 2 1/2 years ago just before the distillery closed so I don't believe they'll be making any more. Gonna hang on to it for a while. Thinking of maybe opening it on my 40th (Which is 9 years away yet! )

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 108
RE: The Single Malt Club - 15/1/2010 10:56:21 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I've got a bottle of Glen Ord which I bought about 2 1/2 years ago just before the distillery closed so I don't believe they'll be making any more. Gonna hang on to it for a while. Thinking of maybe opening it on my 40th (Which is 9 years away yet! )

The distillery closing has probably doubled the worth of your bottle and will rocket up as time goes on and it's siblings get drunk. I had a few mid range Port Ellens in Islay, a great dram but was mega expensive as they're fairly rare.

That's one of the major draws to whisky drinking for me, it's like being a kid and collecting stickers.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 109
RE: The Single Malt Club - 15/1/2010 11:01:58 AM   
rikkie

That's a real shame. I liked Glen Ord a lot. Oddbins used to sell it, but beyond that I never seemed to see it anywhere.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 110
RE: The Single Malt Club - 15/3/2010 8:57:30 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

My Dad bought me a bottle of Auchentoshan for Christmas. Not familiar with it myself. Anybody tried this?

Finally got round to opening this litte beauty and it was well worth the wait. Slightly peaty but not too much, this is the most impressive single malt I've had for quite a while. Highly recommended.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 111
RE: The Single Malt Club - 16/3/2010 5:53:45 PM   
JessFranco

Has anyone tried any of Amrut's whiskies? They're supposed to be excellent.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 112
RE: The Single Malt Club - 17/3/2010 1:47:55 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

Anyone got any love for Knob Creek and Maker's Mark?

Got a nice 700ml bottle of Knob Creek sat next to me right now, love the stuff, depends what sort of mood I'm in, but neat, or with lemonade does the trick for me. No coke, no ice, no other mixers.

I'm also and this is probably blasphemy around these parts with you real whiskey drinkers, a fan of Jack Daniels, a big fan. That I will drink with Coke, I love the stuff, obviously it's really a Bourbon rather than a Scotch or Irish Whiskey but I'm more much a fan of Bourbon.

And if you're into your Bourbons or want a easy way into Whiskey then I suggest you start with Lynchburg Lemonade or Southern Rock, two extremely tasty Bourbon based cocktails.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 17/3/2010 1:52:38 AM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 113
RE: The Single Malt Club - 19/3/2010 11:57:39 PM   
maffew

This is good - I've just started enjoying straight whiskey this year and wanted some good recommendations.. I was a tescos 8 quid a litre chappy not too long ago, I wouldn't dare drink that shit straight. But I've been exposed recently to the true warming nature of a good quality single malt, and want to expand my horizons. I don't like it with ice, though I can't taste anything, just cold burning, which is weird..

Any good not-too-expensive bottles for a solitary sipper?

"Now i don't know much about security lighting, but i'm guessing they'll be using 180-degree dispersing halogens with motion sensors"

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 114
RE: The Single Malt Club - 20/3/2010 7:59:19 AM   
JessFranco

quote:

Talisker is excellent and usually not too expensive. It's worth keeping an eye on Sainsbury's website as they sometimes have excellent discounts on malts.

(in reply to maffew)
Post #: 115
RE: The Single Malt Club - 22/3/2010 10:08:12 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

quote:

Talisker is excellent and usually not too expensive. It's worth keeping an eye on Sainsbury's website as they sometimes have excellent discounts on malts.

Definitely keep an eye out at Sainsburys, their range isn't too deep but it's surprisingly broad and good value for a major super market.

Looking back thanks for the Speyside experience M, was really nice to read and I'm planning a similar trip but won't be til next summer sadly.

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 116
RE: The Single Malt Club - 24/4/2010 7:58:31 PM   
JessFranco

Sainsbury's have 20% off all spirits this week in lots of their stores. Picked up some Laphroaig. 

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 117
RE: The Single Malt Club - 30/4/2010 7:35:24 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

Its gotta be Laphroaig 10yr old (Cask Strength) for me or if your wanting something a good bit milder, Glenkinchie (Sherry Cask Edition). Fantastic whiskies and all around £30-£40.
I've still got a Talisker, Macallans and Bushmills to polish off.

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 118
RE: The Single Malt Club - 30/4/2010 7:37:27 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: JessFranco

Sainsbury's have 20% off all spirits this week in lots of their stores. Picked up some Laphroaig. 

Old Leatherface Dickinson says "That's a Bobby Dazzler!!!", "BARGAIN!!"

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish

(in reply to JessFranco)
Post #: 119
RE: The Single Malt Club - 5/5/2010 4:05:08 AM   
ilovebeerme

I picked up a bottle of the 21 year old Bruichladdich Olorosso cask at the weekend. Look at the colour! Bargain at $150

Recently I also got a bottle of Bowmore Legends on the way into New Zealand and a litre bottle of Talisker on the way out of New Zealand (to replace the Bowmore that I finished while there ). It's been a good few weeks for whisky.

Aside:

The whisky pricing structure over here is mental. It's driven by the age on the bottle and little more. For example, in most place standard Lagavulin (16 years) or Oban (14 years) will be about $100-140 a bottle. These sit right alongside a standard Bunnahabhain (12 years) for $50 and Ardbeg (12 years) $60. It's nuts.

< Message edited by ilovebeerme -- 5/5/2010 4:15:59 AM >

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to DAVID GILLESPIE)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Single Malt Club Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI