Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Single Malt Club

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Single Malt Club Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/10/2007 2:12:33 PM   
Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovebeerme

I didn't think Glenfiddich made a 16 year old? They do the standard 12, a Caoran reserve 12 year old, a 15, an 18 and a 21 as standard. They also bottle a 30, 40 and 50 year old but I'm pretty sure nobody would be putting that in tea .

I got a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh the other week for being best man for my mate. It's good stuff, aged in olorosso casks, unchillfiltered and cask strength.

Bit of info here >
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0010000001013&cid=CPS8PUMALTKNNZT8LT0CXKBQW6S8BUOL - the nose of red apples is bang on and, for me, the chocolate comes through quite strongly on the palate. Nice bottle.

(Biggus notes that one down)

As does Jackal. I think my dad's Christmas present is sorted!

Thanks son!

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 61
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/10/2007 2:15:21 PM   
Jackal

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't think Glenfiddich made a 16 year old? They do the standard 12, a Caoran reserve 12 year old, a 15, an 18 and a 21 as standard. They also bottle a 30, 40 and 50 year old but I'm pretty sure nobody would be putting that in tea .

I got a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh the other week for being best man for my mate. It's good stuff, aged in olorosso casks, unchillfiltered and cask strength.

Bit of info here >
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0010000001013&cid=CPS8PUMALTKNNZT8LT0CXKBQW6S8BUOL - the nose of red apples is bang on and, for me, the chocolate comes through quite strongly on the palate. Nice bottle.

As does Jackal. I think my dad's Christmas present is sorted!

Thanks son!

Nae bother, big man!

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 62
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/10/2007 2:15:24 PM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

quote:

Bit of info here >

It's not bad that's for sure, but I have had a few better in the price range.

I'd highly recommend the Bruichladdich range and in that price range the second edition of the 3D Moine Mhor is stunning (and gone from my cupboard alas!) and the 15 year old is a bloody bargain! Not tried the Yellow Submarine but they are so consistantly excellent that I'm betting it's pretty decent. I'll be at the Oddbins wine fair in two weeks and I'll get some then, however it'll be near the end so donít expect extensive tasting notes

Bruichladdich shop >
http://www.laddieshop.com/acatalog/Core_Range__First_Edition.html

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 63
RE: The Single Malt Club - 19/8/2008 2:02:55 PM   
rikkie

Time to resurrect this thread, as I hit the lofty and somewhat scary heights of 40 at the weekend.  Apart from other fab things, I got given what must be a scarily expensive (I'm going to be good and not look it up) 40 year old limited edition bottle of Bunnahabhain.  I've not yet dared to open the bottle!

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 64
RE: The Single Malt Club - 19/8/2008 2:08:17 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: rikkie

Time to resurrect this thread, as I hit the lofty and somewhat scary heights of 40 at the weekend.  Apart from other fab things, I got given what must be a scarily expensive (I'm going to be good and not look it up) 40 year old limited edition bottle of Bunnahabhain.  I've not yet dared to open the bottle!

I did   I'd worship it not drink it.......

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 65
RE: The Single Malt Club - 19/8/2008 2:24:57 PM   
rikkie

Ouch!  I think I've decided I need to make it last 10 years - that's two shots a year.  I can manage that! 

Oh no, not the bees! Not the bees! Ahhhhhh! All over my eyes! Eyes! Blaaaarghhh!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 66
RE: The Single Malt Club - 19/8/2008 6:54:33 PM   
clownfoot

Does it come in beer flavour, Rik?

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 67
RE: The Single Malt Club - 19/8/2008 9:59:04 PM   
Goodfella

My mum and dad brought me back a bottle of Loch Lomond from Scotland the other week. Now, THAT SHIT, is quality.

I quite like my whiskies, not a massive fan but I won't say no to a few top shelf ones if its a special night out. Is Black Bottle one? I quite like that tipple.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 68
RE: The Single Malt Club - 6/4/2009 12:22:12 PM   
ilovebeerme

quote:

Time to resurrect this thread, as I hit the lofty and somewhat scary heights of 40 at the weekend.† Apart from other fab things, I got given what must be a scarily expensive (I'm going to be good and not look it up) 40 year old limited edition bottle of Bunnahabhain.† I've not yet dared to open the bottle!

I missed this when it was posted, apologies. That, sir, is a stunning bottle. Hope you're enjoying it.

I cam looking for the thread because I'm sitting with a glass of the Bruichladdich 20 Year Old 2nd Edition and it's, once again, sublime. http://www.bruichladdich.com/wwwproduct/pdfsheets/20_2nd/202ndtastenote.pdf

Creamy toffee is spot on. These guys still haven't set a foot wrong in my opinion. Seek them out.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 69
RE: The Single Malt Club - 6/4/2009 2:03:37 PM   
rikkie

Well, it's still no been opened yet - I'm too scared! Even worse, I've just finished my last dram of Laphroiag so I'm maltless at the mo (even though I do have a couple of fine bourbons on the go).

Me and the little lady are having our first bout of IVF come June, so I've decided that regardless of whether it's a positive or negative result I'm going to open it then.

Me and a couple of chums went to Edinburgh just before Christmas and enjoyed a few good malts in a Whisky bar. One of my friends who was feeling flush due to being a contractor ordered a couple of shots of a limited edition Laguvalin 21-year old at £12.95 a shot. He let me tsate it on my lips and it was absolutely stunning. I went for the much cheaper vintage Ardbeg (can't remember the age) which was £6.50 a shot and was excellent - I shall be purchasing a bottle shortly.

Post #: 70
RE: The Single Malt Club - 21/4/2009 8:09:19 PM   
homersimpson_esq

What, if anything, can or does one eat while drinking whisky? Many foods and alcoholic beverages are mutually enhancing - wine and cheese come to mind - and I wondered if there was a similar truth with whisky.

On a separate matter, I just purchased my first single malt - Glenfiddich. My choice was simple: it was the only bottle that came in a smaller (and thus less expensive) size, in case I don't take to it! I'll report back on how it goes down.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 71
RE: The Single Malt Club - 21/4/2009 8:26:47 PM   
Jackal

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq
On a separate matter, I just purchased my first single malt - Glenfiddich. My choice was simple: it was the only bottle that came in a smaller (and thus less expensive) size, in case I don't take to it! I'll report back on how it goes down.

Possibly the best whisky I've ever had.

As far as the food goes, are you mad?!

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 72
RE: The Single Malt Club - 21/4/2009 9:56:00 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

No, just ignorant.

The first thing that hits you, I find, is the smell. And then the burning in the mouth and the smoke in the throat. It's quite powerful stuff, isn't it?! Give me a few more glasses of it and I might like it more. There's a definite taste behind the fire tho, which is quite something. Definitely a taste I look forward to acquiring.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 73
RE: The Single Malt Club - 21/4/2009 10:33:00 PM   
Jackal

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, just ignorant.

The first thing that hits you, I find, is the smell. And then the burning in the mouth and the smoke in the throat. It's quite powerful stuff, isn't it?! Give me a few more glasses of it and I might like it more. There's a definite taste behind the fire tho, which is quite something. Definitely a taste I look forward to acquiring.

Glenfiddich is probably my favourite. I'm not too keen on the Islay (pronounced "aye-la", by the way ) ones. They're very smoky and I can't really get past the smell. You should try one or two anyway to see if you like them. The most famous is probably Laphroaig or Lagavulin.

I'm mostly a Speyside man, though. Even though there are plenty I haven't tried.

Post #: 74
RE: The Single Malt Club - 22/4/2009 2:56:59 AM   
ilovebeerme

Not a huge fan of Glenfiddich. Itís a great one to start on and itís perfectly drinkable but is a bit Ďmehí.

Food wise it depends what youíre drinking I guess. I was sitting eating some lumps of pecorino with my Bruichladdich the other night and it was superb. It is also a genuinely fantastic match with haggis, neeps and mash. The haggis is nice and spicy without being hot and it complements the whisky really well. It also goes quite well with bowls of nuts and antipasto. Rack of lamb and a glass of malt? Hell yes.

If you do a quick Google search there are a number of articles making suggestions, but I think the best advice (as with wine) is that as long as you enjoy it and it doesnít kill the flavour then go for it.

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 75
RE: The Single Malt Club - 22/4/2009 8:35:35 AM   
M

Can anyone recommend some actual distilleries?

I've been planning on going a whisky tour for a couple years.  This year, being entirely skint and unable to head abroad, I think I'm going to grab my backpack and head round the highlands going from distillery to distillery, imrpving my tasting as I go (hopefully).  Anyways, are there any that people have been to or can recommend for access/tours/tasting/etc, or even just famous ones that should be tried out?

I like to watch.

Post #: 76
RE: The Single Malt Club - 22/4/2009 9:07:19 AM   
rikkie

I've never eaten food with whiskey either, beyond with a bit of haggis when I went out on Burns night this year. Even snacks like crisps or peanuts will really kill the taste.

Will confess I'm really not a fan of Glenfiddich either. As a starter to the world of whiskey, I don't think you can go wrong with Bowmore. It's not peaty and has an almost sweet taste that I love, and it's particularly aromatic.

Although I've not yet done a distillery tour (keep promising myself), I'd definitely be heading to Islay, home of the peat. Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Laguvalin, Ardbeg, Bowmore - that;s some great bloody whiskies!

(in reply to M)
Post #: 77
RE: The Single Malt Club - 22/4/2009 3:17:14 PM   
Fanboyslayer

I did The Famous Grouse distillery tour with my pops last time I was up in the motherland. That was quite fun can't say much about the nip we got at the end as I'm more of rum person myself but it was free so that was good. Was very interesting and the place was really nice. Made for a nice afternoon out.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 78
RE: The Single Malt Club - 22/4/2009 3:49:02 PM   
BigKovacs

For me Glenfiddich is the VW Golf of whiskey, not too flashy but each generation is consistently good.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 79
RE: The Single Malt Club - 22/4/2009 6:25:20 PM   
Jackal

quote:

Not a huge fan of Glenfiddich. It's a great one to start on and it's perfectly drinkable but is a bit 'meh'.

Fuck me.  

To each his own, eh?

quote:

ORIGINAL: beerman
I was sitting eating some lumps of pecorino with my Bruichladdich the other night and it was superb.

So, you're an Islay man, then? Maybe explains why you're a bit meh with Glenfiddich. Maybe not, though, I don't know. Correct me if I'm wrong. It's just that me my dad and a few others I know are Speside fans while not really liking the Islay kind all that much and other folk I know are the opposite. I've yet to meet someone who likes them both equally.

A pedant's note to some posters: whisky = Scottish, Japanese; whiskey = Irish, American etc

Post #: 80
RE: The Single Malt Club - 22/4/2009 10:18:08 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I remember it cos there's no 'e' in 'Scotland', so there's no 'e' in Scottish whisky.  

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 81
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 12:22:46 AM   
ilovebeerme

I do enjoy Speyside malts, as you say, just not quite as much. Although it does depend on the situation.

Cracking open a bottle with friends on a mild summer night? Probably go for a bottle of Dufftown, Macallan or Balvenie.

Reading a book by a roaring open fire with rain battering against the window? Bruichladdich or Ardbeg all the way.

Iím a big fan of Springbank as well. And Talisker especially the distillers edition.

Overall I do think Islay is hard to look past though Ė Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Caol Ila, Bowmore, Bunnahabhain Ė what a list! Iím looking forward to the new stuff from Port Charlotte to. I had a bottle of the PC6 last year and it was incredible. The Kilchoman stuff gets itís first bottling this year too, so Iíll be keen to try that.

As with wine and beer I think the best aspect is to try as much as possible and drink a wide variety. Including Japanese stuff if this is anything to go byÖ. Japanese Whisky.

Post #: 82
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 10:05:15 AM   
M

quote:

Although I've not yet done a distillery tour (keep promising myself), I'd definitely be heading to Islay, home of the peat. Laphroaig, Bruichladdich, Laguvalin, Ardbeg, Bowmore - that;s some great bloody whiskies!

Islay looks like a good starting place - big grouping of distilleries in a very small area. They're practically within staggering distance of each other. Plus there's a golf course on the island, so I might try and get a couple of the lads on a wee break. Cheers for the recommendation!

I like to watch.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 83
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 10:31:03 AM   
rikkie

A man after my own heart. Golf and whisky - when are we going?

(in reply to M)
Post #: 84
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 10:46:57 AM   
BigKovacs

I got my dada a Talisker for his birthday (sadly not a distillers edition), I haven't tasted it yet and he's raving about it and I trust his word so I may have to move to that although I'm loving Laphroaig too much right now, it's like having a cooling bon fire in my mouth and seems to span seasons quite nicely.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 85
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 10:48:56 AM   
M

quote:

A man after my own heart. Golf and whisky - when are we going?

I don't play golf, unfortunately- I'm just using that as an enticement to compensate for the fact I'm going to be spending the days dragging the others round distilleries! In saying that, the idea doesn't seem to be going down particularly well, so I don't know if they'll go for it.

When suits you, rikkie?

I like to watch.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 86
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 10:57:06 AM   
rikkie

As much as I enjoy golf, I get to play it regularly, so in that case I'll stick with drinking heavily in the distilleries!

Incidentally, I can heartily recommend this guide to malt whiskies http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malt-Whisky-Yearbook-Ingvar-Ronde/dp/0955260744 It'll give you a guide to all the distilleries (including ones with tours), and even has a section of worldwide whiskys - who knew Germany produced some? Not me...

I have tried some fine Japanese malt, and I have to say it was very nice. Quite pricey, but worth a taster.

(in reply to M)
Post #: 87
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 12:48:21 PM   
M

quote:

Incidentally, I can heartily recommend this guide to malt whiskies http://www.amazon.co.uk/Malt-Whisky-Yearbook-Ingvar-Ronde/dp/0955260744 It'll give you a guide to all the distilleries (including ones with tours), and even has a section of worldwide whiskys - who knew Germany produced some? Not me...

Does it have anything on what to look for when actually tasting?

I did have a couple whisky guides, but gave them away to a French exchange student I was trying to impress after she said she's wanted to visit a distillery.  But that's another story...

I like to watch.

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 88
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 12:59:06 PM   
rikkie

Yeah, each whisky has tasting notes from two different "connoisseurs". Mind you, I'm buggered if I can detect "slight hints of juniper berrys coupled with a smattering of cardamom seeds", or something like that.

(in reply to M)
Post #: 89
RE: The Single Malt Club - 23/4/2009 2:01:51 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

Yeah, each whisky has tasting notes from two different "connoisseurs". Mind you, I'm buggered if I can detect "slight hints of juniper berrys coupled with a smattering of cardamom seeds", or something like that.

As and when your knowledge of whisky tastes increases to the point where you can detect those notes, I truly hope the above sentiment doesn't come true...

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to rikkie)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: The Single Malt Club Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI