Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

your favourite Agatha Christie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> your favourite Agatha Christie Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
your favourite Agatha Christie - 23/1/2007 10:24:10 PM   
bozo

It's a very difficult choice. She has written so many great novels, most of them brilliantly constructed and deliciously twisty.
But let's narrow it down a bit.
Ten Little Nig... Ten Little Ind... And Then There Were None. Amazing novel - a detective story without a detective! Demonstrates what Christie was best at - subverting the form. The form which she single-handedly created. This novel also has something which lacks in most of her other novels - creepy atmosphere. Nice.
Then we go to Christie's own favourite - Crooked House. Another amazing novel, mainly due to the... original and breathtakingly surprising nature of the villain. But, to be frank, otherwise nothing spectacular.
What about the last Poirot novel - Curtain: Poirot's Last Case. What a way to say goodbye to your greatest character! And the murderer is in a league of his (or her) own - it's evolution, baby!
The Murder of Roger Ackroyd? When the murderer is revealed... I almost swallowed my own tongue! Subversion supreme!
But my own favourite is... Cards On the Table. 1 victim. 4 suspects. Only 4 - no more, no less. And the murderer is one of the 4. No excuses. Just unbelievable tension and brainmunching twist after brainmunching twist. B R I L L I A N T !   
Post #: 1
RE: your favourite Agatha Christie - 24/1/2007 2:29:40 PM   
Spider

Haven't read that many, they're one of those things that are always lurking and ready to be read but actually don't get read that often.

Of the ones I have read (I'm guessing you've read pretty much all of them) I think my favourite was Peril at End House, simply because of the brilliant twist at the end. Also because I rather like the ones with Hastings in them as opposed to just Poirot on his own.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 2
RE: your favourite Agatha Christie - 24/1/2007 9:02:58 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Haven't read that many, they're one of those things that are always lurking and ready to be read but actually don't get read that often.

Of the ones I have read (I'm guessing you've read pretty much all of them) I think my favourite was Peril at End House, simply because of the brilliant twist at the end. Also because I rather like the ones with Hastings in them as opposed to just Poirot on his own.

No! Really?

Trust me - it's one of her inferior novels. Try the ones I mention in my post. You won't be disappointed!

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 3
RE: your favourite Agatha Christie - 25/1/2007 8:07:55 PM   
nomimalone

I like a lot of her novels, but for some reason the one I read and re-read is The Thirteen Problems. I first read it when I was about 12 and something in it just captured my imagination. I loved how it could be a Miss Marple book, yet she was barely in it. I also really like Nemesis and Cards on the Table. 

(in reply to bozo)
Post #: 4
RE: your favourite Agatha Christie - 25/1/2007 8:55:46 PM   
bozo

quote:

ORIGINAL: nomimalone

I like a lot of her novels, but for some reason the one I read and re-read is The Thirteen Problems. I first read it when I was about 12 and something in it just captured my imagination. I loved how it could be a Miss Marple book, yet she was barely in it. I also really like Nemesis and Cards on the Table. 

Yeah, it's a great book.

(in reply to nomimalone)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> your favourite Agatha Christie Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI