Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: top gear

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: top gear Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 9:39:31 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I have to say I'm surprised that the production team even considered that challenge with the "decoration" on the side of the cars. They obviously didn't realise just how deep those feelings run in the deep south

It was very very funny though and I laughed out loudly when Jeremy appeared with the cow on his roof

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to krudler)
Post #: 91
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 9:43:48 PM   
Dave Novo

"Hillary For President" and "Man-Love Rules". Oh My God!

Funny Funny Funny

Hostia Puta

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 92
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 9:55:01 PM   
Marky_Mark

Hammond (on the squirrel and then the cow): "I'm not peeling it"!

Best episode of Top Gear. EVER.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to Dave Novo)
Post #: 93
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 10:08:34 PM   
Twizzle

A truly classic episode. I laughed until I cried.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 94
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 10:26:52 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I don't think I've ever seen Jeremy laugh so much in an episode before.

I missed the first 20 minutes (bloomin' nuisance), but the rest of it was just class! I, too, almost cried from laughing so hard when Clarkson turned up with a cow on his roof. But when they had that "night scene" where they vandalised Capt. Slow's air-con, I was in stitches! Awesome!

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 95
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 10:29:34 PM   
Twizzle

They really did look bloody scared when that truckload of rednecks turned up, didn't they?

That crazy old girl in the garage was like something out of a nightmare too!

(in reply to Jessica_ca_ca_ca)
Post #: 96
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 10:31:54 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I know! Do you think it was all scripted after all?!

Well, I'm going to follow the Top Gear Top Tip of not going to America anyway

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 97
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 10:34:44 PM   
Twizzle

I dunno Jess. It looked real to me. Hamster legged it out of there PDQ.

Post #: 98
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 10:37:41 PM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jessica_ca_ca_ca

I think that Americans provide more than enough entertainment without having to script scenarios like that.....May sounded totally shit-scared!! Can't believe Clarkson was already gone!!!

Post #: 99
RE: top gear - 11/2/2007 10:55:19 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

It's pretty freaky that they take things like that so seriously.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 100
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 12:46:42 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

I think those people weren't in on it at all, I believe it was completely genuine, however I think James' battery dying again was completely planned they just didn't know it would turn out that bad.

Hillarious episode and it was a refreshing but not necessarily needed change to the show and I'm glad I Sky+'d this one as it looks like one I could watch again and again.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 101
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:25:47 AM   
soderbergh1

brilliant! 'man love rules ok' was my favourite. and clarkson turning up with that cow was genius!!! i think my favourite moment though was clarkson driving in his car with the shower on. as soon as that popped up on screen my side's literally split.

"Well, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard. That's my policy."

LAST 3 FILMS WATCHED:
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe ***
Iron Man ***
Dasavatharam ***

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 102
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 9:50:31 AM   
Biggus

That was awesome. Turned out to be one of the best episodes ever. When Jeremy had that shower on him while he was driving!

"They offered me a hundred grand. You wanna know something? When I found out I'd get my hands on you, I said I'd do it for nothing."

http://fletchsworldoffilm.wordpress.com/

(in reply to soderbergh1)
Post #: 103
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 10:41:29 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

That was just classic TV yesterday - what a bloody great show Top Gear is. To be chased and stoned by rednecks in the Deep South!! Hilarious and scary in equal measures.

(in reply to Biggus)
Post #: 104
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 12:26:42 PM   
directorscut

I usually enjoy Top Gear, but that was crass provocation. What exactly did they expect would happen? What will they do next? Drive around Dublin with a sign "Ireland belongs to England?" Roll down a window and shout insults at people?

Shameless. Childish.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 105
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 12:32:17 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I usually enjoy Top Gear, but that was crass provocation. What exactly did they expect would happen? What will they do next? Drive around Dublin with a sign "Ireland belongs to England?" Roll down a window and shout insults at people?

Shameless. Childish.

Would the Irish react in a similar manner? And I think comments about Nascar, country music and homosexuality are slightly less insulting, unless of course you are a moron from the southern states.

It was childish, it was provocative, but it was purely to show what some red state inbreds are like.

WARNING: I may google your name because I'm a bit nosey.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 106
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 12:58:30 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: PatBateman

quote:

Shameless. Childish.

Would the Irish react in a similar manner? And I think comments about Nascar, country music and homosexuality are slightly less insulting, unless of course you are a moron from the southern states.

There are idiots in every country. But bashing America is cool.

quote:

It was childish, it was provocative, but it was purely to show what some red state inbreds are like.

So ten people are representative of an entire state?

Did they actually say anything insulting towards the Clarkson and co? Maybe they were pissed off about being stereotyped and the butt of a stupid joke. I know I would be.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 107
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:05:52 PM   
Felix

For once I have to agree with directorscut. Usually I love Top Gear and think its hilarious, but I wasnt too impressed by this episode. The slogans on the cars were funny, but it was a cheap shot at an obvious gag, and an obvious reaction. Plus,  I wonder how many places they went to without any reaction, but of course they show the one place to react.

I also found the roadkill bit to be tasteless to the extreme. I dont need to see a dead cow strapped to the top of a car on a motoring show for god's sake.

[This space for rent] -

Post #: 108
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:06:40 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

quote:

quote:

Shameless. Childish.

There are idiots in every country. But bashing America is cool.

quote:

So ten people are representative of an entire state?

Did they actually say anything insulting towards the Clarkson and co? Maybe they were pissed off about being stereotyped and the butt of a stupid joke. I know I would be.

I wasn't bashing America, I was bashing the southern states. The thing is that they are fairly representative of that particular part of America.

Of course not all Americas are like that. They still produce some of the best tv, film and art and are thoroughly decent humans. But in a country that is so polarized and divided at the moment, it's not unreasonable to see people in terms of red and blue, north and south etc.

PS. It used to be cool to bash America, until everyone started doing it. Now it's cool to be all diplomatic. The fact is that these 10 people are representative of a disconcertingly large number of Americans.

But yes, stupid people are in every country.

Post #: 109
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:11:42 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

For once I have to agree with directorscut. Usually I love Top Gear and think its hilarious, but I wasnt too impressed by this episode. The slogans on the cars were funny, but it was a cheap shot at an obvious gag, and an obvious reaction. Plus,  I wonder how many places they went to without any reaction, but of course they show the one place to react.

I also found the roadkill bit to be tasteless to the extreme. I dont need to see a dead cow strapped to the top of a car on a motoring show for god's sake.

Top Gear is more than just a motoring (must reinforce point with italics) show so you can't hold that against it. Last night became a story about friendship.

The roadkill stuff was extreme, but still funny. I'm sure it'll illicit many complaints from animal rights things.

And however tasteless/extreme the show was, the ending in New Orleans almost vindicated the guys. They highlighted how these hicks are more concerned with gay marriage, pro-life, Pat Robertson BS than they are with actually helping their fellow Americans.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 110
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:15:28 PM   
Mozza

Last night's show, whilst funny in parts(I laughed out loud when they showed Clarkson with his in-car shower), was a major step in the wrong direction.  Clarkson has been pushing the boundaries of what he can say all series, but to have an entire hour devoted to crass stereotyping? It's like watching that Friends 2-parter where they go to London, only reversed and without the female eye candy.

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 111
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:19:20 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mozza

Last night's show, whilst funny in parts(I laughed out loud when they showed Clarkson with his in-car shower), was a major step in the wrong direction.  Clarkson has been pushing the boundaries of what he can say all series, but to have an entire hour devoted to crass stereotyping? It's like watching that Friends 2-parter where they go to London, only reversed and without the female eye candy.

Watch Fox News and then see if it's crass stereotyping.

Fox News Alert - Barack Obama was educated at a madrassa and raised a Muslim, before converting to Christianity. That's a Fox News ALERT.

(in reply to Mozza)
Post #: 112
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:21:15 PM   
Felix

quote:

Top Gear is more than just a motoring (must reinforce point with italics) show so you can't hold that against it. Last night became a story about friendship.

Wow, sarcasm really helps your point doesnt it. Top Gear is a car programme. Most of last nights show had nothing to with cars whatsoever.

quote:

And however tasteless/extreme the show was, the ending in New Orleans almost vindicated the guys. They highlighted how these hicks are more concerned with gay marriage, pro-life, Pat Robertson BS than they are with actually helping their fellow Americans.

Whilst the state of New Orleans one year after the hurricane is shocking, that was also a very contrived part of the show. So it was only on arrival in New Orleans that they realised that selling the cars was a bad idea? Bollocks.

I wish they'd stick to the car skits and interviews. These on-location parts of the show are getting too scripted so that witty, inane things happen too often to be believable.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 113
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:24:36 PM   
M.V.P.

The best Top gear ever. The reaction of those people to what was written on those cars, was ridiculous. But unfortunately they lived up to everyone's perception of people from the deep south.

(in reply to PatBateman)
Post #: 114
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:27:28 PM   
PatBateman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

Wow, sarcasm really helps your point doesnt it. Top Gear is a car programme. Most of last nights show had nothing to with cars whatsoever.

quote:

Whilst the state of New Orleans one year after the hurricane is shocking, that was also a very contrived part of the show. So it was only on arrival in New Orleans that they realised that selling the cars was a bad idea? Bollocks.

I wish they'd stick to the car skits and interviews. These on-location parts of the show are getting too scripted so that witty, inane things happen too often to be believable.

Sorry about the sarcasm but Top Gear is more than just a car show. You highlight that very point when you say it is 'far too scripted', something they themselves have intimated. If it was just car skits and interviews, it would be Fifth Gear.

As for New Orleans being contrived, I'd probably agree. But they probably showed a lot more people the reality of that area than would watch the news or BBC 4 docs.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 115
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:29:18 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Whilst I did find the sight of Jeremy with a cow on his roof very funny I did wonder at this challenge.  It would be extremely unhealthy (I would imagine) to just pick something up off the side of the road and cook it.  No telling where the animal has come from, whether it has any diseases or what actually killed it. 

I doubt very much they would have gone with nothing to eat so assumed that the production team allowed them food from elsewhere. 

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to M.V.P.)
Post #: 116
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:42:56 PM   
Marky_Mark

Aparently not....I was reading in Men's Health the other day about a guy who almost exclusively eats roadkill.

His argument was that it was free & fresh....so why not???

I'll see if I can find a link to the article....

n.b. HOW COOL was Hammond's car grill??!?

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 117
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:46:05 PM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marky_Mark
n.b. HOW COOL was Hammond's car grill??!?

I know! I wanted one. Much better than Clarkson's shower and May's clothes rack.

Incidentally, when the podgy Stig got to drive Hammond's car and the tailgate came open when he set off, I was in a fit of giggles.

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 118
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:46:55 PM   
Twizzle

quote:

Incidentally, when the podgy Stig got to drive Hammond's car and the tailgate came open when he set off, I was in a fit of giggles.

That's what started me off too.

Post #: 119
RE: top gear - 12/2/2007 1:55:08 PM   
Dave Novo

I thought it was a really good departure from the normal series, which i think has been kinda repetitive lately (car review, 1st part of challenge, star in a car, 2nd part of challenge, end) so it was a breath of fresh air. 
Apart from all the laugh out loud parts there were plenty of other fun bits - like hammond nearly becoming alligator food cos he was too busy looking at his speedometer or the introduction of "big stig".
Hope they keep it original with the occasional one-off shows like last nights.

Hostia Puta

(in reply to Twizzle)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: top gear Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI