Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Gear: New Series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Top Gear: New Series Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/2/2013 9:09:39 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I enjoyed this weeks episode but I do have a soft spot for the car vs public transport races. On the most part though I think the show needs a revamp....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 991
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 24/2/2013 7:37:11 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Not a fan of Sunday's show either.

If they're going to try and be funny, they need to stick to the obvious gags like last weeks Chinese Stig or the Reliant Robin piece from a while back, not Hammond pretending to mistake Ray Winstone for Bob Hoskins, I can't think of a more painfully unfunny moment on TV inside of the last few years. My toes are curling just thinking about it.

On the plus side, the new Focus ST is a lovely looking Hot Hatch, even if it was a fake one.

Could be worse. He might have mistook Ray Winstone for an actor.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 992
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 24/2/2013 7:47:35 PM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

I enjoyed this weeks episode but I do have a soft spot for the car vs public transport races. On the most part though I think the show needs a revamp....

I actually agree. I do love Top Gear. For anyone to describe it as a car show is plain ridiculous.

I don't care if it is set-up it is still usually very funny. I actually laughed at the India special too. The train bit was comedy gold.

Top Gear is like the modern equivalent of the Carry On films. James May being kicked in the plums by Chinese Stig was still funny no matter how many times it happened.

I love the challenges: the races v public transport, or the races v other weird modes of transport...

having to create a new mode of transport involving a car (the caravans or the boats are my favourite)

I also like the road trips (remember the lament to British car making? It was poignant I thought).

I love the "serious" road tests such as the Fiesta or the Twingo. They are funny. Or the small cars or turning Reliant Robins into space shuttles!

I loved Jeremy's celebration of the Jaguar E-Type. That was just superb.

I love the foreign specials - the Polar Challenge is still the best, I think.

I can't be bothered with the dull and boring supercar tests though. They really should axe that.

I don't mind the interviews (aka star in a reasonably priced car) and I don't even mind the lap times of the supercars.

Top Gear takes all of the ideas of shows like Mythbusters or Scrapheap Challenge (or Blast Lab etc) and turns them into comedy gold (remember the car-trains?)

But I do think it is finally looking tired after 11 years of the new format. They perhaps need a fourth presenter just to freshen things up. Perhaps Sabine Schmidt? It is plainly obvious Jeremy fancies the pants off of her, so why not?

BTW whatever happend to Top Gear dog?

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 993
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 25/2/2013 12:09:19 AM   
Saltire

They don't need to add a presenter, just get rid of one of them, Hammond has been an annoying little swine for years. I wouldn't mind Sabine on there either though, she's a proper driver so they could get of the tired Stig format too, she's a looker and her commanding sexy accent would shut Jeremy and James up quite a bit - also imagine James trying to chat her up, that'd be a laugh!

< Message edited by Saltire -- 25/2/2013 12:12:30 AM >

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 994
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 25/2/2013 2:30:34 PM   
paulyboy

Being a bit of a petrol head I'm probably in the minority of wanting Top Gear to return to more a factual based car review show, I have to watch Fifth Gear for that fix currently and that's an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Stuff like the Hot-Hatch round-up last week or the Toyota GT-86 test the week before that are where it's at for me, the rest I could take or leave quite frankly.

The odd skit here and there is funny from time to time, when they're aiming for out and out comedy, not pretending these accidents actually happen.

Hammond has become an utter annoyance also, when he's playing it serious and reviewing cars he's fine, at all other times I just have the urge to slap him lately.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 995
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 25/2/2013 4:16:52 PM   
Scruffybobby

Was last night's episode the last thing Richard Briers did? (he was the SatNav voice) If so it's a bit of an odd one.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 996
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 25/2/2013 10:08:47 PM   
uniqueweasel

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

Being a bit of a petrol head I'm probably in the minority of wanting Top Gear to return to more a factual based car review show, I have to watch Fifth Gear for that fix currently and that's an experience I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Stuff like the Hot-Hatch round-up last week or the Toyota GT-86 test the week before that are where it's at for me, the rest I could take or leave quite frankly.

The odd skit here and there is funny from time to time, when they're aiming for out and out comedy, not pretending these accidents actually happen.

Hammond has become an utter annoyance also, when he's playing it serious and reviewing cars he's fine, at all other times I just have the urge to slap him lately.

This

It used to be a great bit of comedy here and there, but it just feels a bit too forced, and Hammond makes me cringe at times. I just stick around because Clarkson is still great.

< Message edited by uniqueweasel -- 26/2/2013 10:47:44 AM >

Do Not Drink And Bake

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 997
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 4/3/2013 11:17:59 AM   
paulyboy

Shock horror last night's show wasn't completely awful, probably the most entertaining it's been in a while in fact.

I know I often moan that I hate all the needless arsing about, but these "buy X type car for X" challenges are always quite fun.

That little Subaru is pretty amazing, bugger me Hammond wasn't even that annoying last night.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 4/3/2013 11:18:38 AM >

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to uniqueweasel)
Post #: 998
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 5/3/2013 9:14:44 AM   
blackduck

Maybe they should consider ditching the weekly show and just doing specials from now on.
For the first time in ages I'm actually looking forward to next weeks show.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 999
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 5/3/2013 9:18:39 AM   
sanchia

I think for the first time I haven't watched any of them. the format has been feeling very, very tired for quite a while now and the specials are the only thing which are worthwhile (although they are often ruined by Clarkson's excesses).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 1000
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 6/3/2013 6:09:38 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Yep. Really enjoyed this weeks episode. There was still some scripted stuff (there's no way in hell they stayed in that hotel) but it just felt so much more natural (like when the branch fell from the tree and smashed the windscreen) and it was genuinely entertaining and informative. Looking forward to next weeks episode.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 1001
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 10/3/2013 9:00:09 PM   
James2183

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Yep. Really enjoyed this weeks episode. There was still some scripted stuff (there's no way in hell they stayed in that hotel) but it just felt so much more natural (like when the branch fell from the tree and smashed the windscreen) and it was genuinely entertaining and informative. Looking forward to next weeks episode.

Didn't watch the first episode but this episode seems incredibly scripted. This is the first episode in ages that I've watched and I don't think I'll be tuning in every week for it again like in previous years.

Has Hammond dyed his hair?

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 1002
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 11/3/2013 1:11:12 PM   
BudBaxter

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183
This is the first episode in ages that I've watched and I don't think I'll be tuning in every week for it again like in previous years.

Good job this week's episode was the last in the current run then!

It's always been scripted, but most of the Africa/Nile challenge seemed more 'real' than a lot of the previous ones.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 1003
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/3/2013 11:05:53 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I got the feeling 80% of this special was exactly how it should be and only 20% or so scripted. Like I said before it's stuff like the branch falling from the tree, moments like that and the log bouncing up to hit JC's rear window and the reactions that make this show so special.

I'm agreed that they should probably stick to specials in the future.

(in reply to BudBaxter)
Post #: 1004
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/3/2013 11:46:46 AM   
Chief

These are the only two episodes I watched from the whole series. It was alright though. I don't believe for a minute that Hammond repaired his own suspension though.

Post #: 1005
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 25/3/2013 10:14:20 PM   
musht

I've been watching the 'Best Of' this series as I missed it all except the special in Africa. Even if the formula is getting old the camera work and stunts are still amazing. If I were making an action movie that needed a car chase I would definitely try and get the Top Gear crew behind the cameras.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 1006
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/8/2013 12:10:44 AM   
musht

I've just watched the last episode of the present series and I have to say I've never seen anything so sickeningly "patriotic" in my life. I've always known the British were overly patriotic but it gets to the point where you are holding a gathering of the cars made in Britain it's a bit much. These cars could have been made anywhere, and I wonder how much of the materials used are actually British, or were designed by Brits. Are people really expected to be proud when they see a British lawn mower being used in Kansas? Celebrate the fact that jobs are being created, or that companies are choosing the UK but to hold a parade in Hyde Park .... really?

As an Irish person I can be "proud" that there used to be a Ford factory in Cork but am I going to drive a collection of Ford's down O'Connell St with tricolours hanging out of the boot?

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 1007
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/8/2013 7:51:46 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

Careful now. You will be called anti-British.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 1008
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/8/2013 8:16:06 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erlenmeyer Flask

Careful now. You will be called anti-British.

I'm not really, but my god can you lot climb up your own bum holes.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 1009
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/8/2013 8:33:59 PM   
Erlenmeyer Flask

I'm from Dublin.

You're in the basement because they're afraid of you, of your relentlessness and because they know that they could drop you in the middle of the desert, and tell you the truth is out there, and you'd ask them for a shovel!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 1010
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/8/2013 9:11:35 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Isn't Dublin airport lined with pictures of Irish scientists and writers. It's hardly hiding your light under a bushel. And its Top Gear, I never made it to the end of that episode as I found it all a bit boring, but I'd have a guess it was at least a bit tongue in cheek.

(in reply to Erlenmeyer Flask)
Post #: 1011
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/8/2013 11:14:12 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Isn't Dublin airport lined with pictures of Irish scientists and writers. It's hardly hiding your light under a bushel. And its Top Gear, I never made it to the end of that episode as I found it all a bit boring, but I'd have a guess it was at least a bit tongue in cheek.

These are people though. They know they are Irish and being Irish and the Irish culture has had a huge impact on their existence and work. Nationality has far relevance to a person than a car. My outrage was not so much the national pride but the fact that the national pride was focused on an inanimate object to which "nationality" means practically nothing.

I'd like to think I know when Top Gear is being tongue-in-cheek, I really didn't get that impression at all.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 1012
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/8/2013 11:29:05 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

These are people though. They know they are Irish and being Irish and the Irish culture has had a huge impact on their existence and work. Nationality has far relevance to a person than a car. My outrage was not so much the national pride but the fact that the national pride was focused on an inanimate object to which "nationality" means practically nothing.

I'd like to think I know when Top Gear is being tongue-in-cheek, I really didn't get that impression at all.

As I said, I didn't get that far in the episode. I enjoyed the episode with the hover-van, just because it had me laughing so much though a lot of it was an obvious set-up. And I like some of the nice drives they do in great cars. But you do get the idea that sometimes it is running on fumes of creativity. I can well believe this was one of those cases, but you can't really be too shocked that a car program would choose to celebrate the car. I'm sure there was a previous episode where they basically took the piss out of certain British cars and the wooden spoon was to drive an Austin Allegro.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 1013
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Top Gear: New Series Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 33 [34]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI