Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Gear: New Series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Top Gear: New Series Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 13/2/2012 11:41:34 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Piss poor episode for the most part last night. I do like the look of The Sweeney though (and the car chase they had compiled by the end was actually pretty good) but the contrived nature of the segment really pissed me off. At one point it looked like they were taking it seriously (well Clarkson anyway) but then it descended into farce. Hammond is really starting to annoy me as well, surely it's time for him to fuck off by now.

The James May bit was OK and Ryan Reynolds seems like a nice enough guy but you know you've got a stinker of an episode on your hands when the SIARPC segment is the highlight.

Disappointed because I enjoyed the last 2 episodes.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 13/2/2012 11:48:37 AM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Mute)
Post #: 961
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 13/2/2012 1:27:06 PM   
blackduck

Overall it was OK last night, James Mays bit was fine, nice to see them take a break from the Supercars.
The Sweeney bit was funny, but it went on waaay too long. Hammond just brings nothing to the show any more, he's getting too old for the excitable schoolboy routine...and his new hair do is stupid. The show is starting to turn into last of the summer wine. They really, really need to start bringing in new presenters.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 962
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 13/2/2012 2:12:54 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I think Nick Love was just playing up to the camera. I'm sorry to say I kinda like the look of The Sweeney, looks like a future guilty pleasure.

Guns and car chases can't ever be a bad thing.

No doubt he was, I just meant he's a tosser in general rather than specific to this. Have you heard his commentary for Outlaw?

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 963
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 13/2/2012 3:46:41 PM   
Saltire

Watched James May's seg, knew what was coming after that and switched over to watch Real Madrid - looks like my idea to do that payed off.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 964
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 14/2/2012 11:55:35 AM   
kata

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 965
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 14/2/2012 12:15:54 PM   
Jaded_Parrot

Im really enjoying Top Gear i always do. Some people take it all too seriously. It stopped being a "car" programme a long time ago and became an "entertainment" show and for that i love it.

Its all staged, it wouldnt suprise me if Jezza had anything to do with the scene at all and it was just made to "look" like he did (hence it being entertainment). Last week with the Chinese stig i was rolling around on the floor laughing (entertainment) the stunt part (the gif above) had me howling as well.

Will agree on Hammonds hair though. Looks like a My Chemicle Romance reject!

The fat people in the Panda made me feel a bit ill though but then when the guy started eating crisps and the stig gave him a funny look made me laugh.

If you want a car programme watch Fifth Gear

< Message edited by Jaded_Parrot -- 14/2/2012 12:19:23 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 966
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 14/2/2012 1:18:07 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaded_Parrot

Im really enjoying Top Gear i always do. Some people take it all too seriously. It stopped being a "car" programme a long time ago and became an "entertainment" show and for that i love it.

I've never had any problem at all with it being an "entertainment" show, what I do have a problem with is the occasions that it's not even remotely entertaining. Occasions like Sunday night where they were trying so hard to be entertaining that they veered into irritating instead. The problem is, I think, that they think they have comic ability when the clearly don't. What they usually have is good ideas that create comical situations which is great as the laughs happen organically. When they try to force it, as in Sunday's show and the India "Special", it comes across as 2 unfunny middle aged twats fucking around doing irritating stuff. And James May.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Jaded_Parrot)
Post #: 967
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 14/2/2012 2:13:42 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaded_Parrot

I've never had any problem at all with it being an "entertainment" show, what I do have a problem with is the occasions that it's not even remotely entertaining. Occasions like Sunday night where they were trying so hard to be entertaining that they veered into irritating instead. The problem is, I think, that they think they have comic ability when the clearly don't. What they usually have is good ideas that create comical situations which is great as the laughs happen organically. When they try to force it, as in Sunday's show and the India "Special", it comes across as 2 unfunny middle aged twats fucking around doing irritating stuff. And James May.

Indeed. It just wasn't very funny. They're capable of so much better.

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 968
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 14/2/2012 2:44:29 PM   
paulyboy

Not a fan of Sunday's show either.

If they're going to try and be funny, they need to stick to the obvious gags like last weeks Chinese Stig or the Reliant Robin piece from a while back, not Hammond pretending to mistake Ray Winstone for Bob Hoskins, I can't think of a more painfully unfunny moment on TV inside of the last few years. My toes are curling just thinking about it.

On the plus side, the new Focus ST is a lovely looking Hot Hatch, even if it was a fake one.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 969
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 15/2/2012 2:01:02 PM   
blackduck

I've never minded that it's scripted, but quite often it's too scripted and just isn't belivable. It's like watching a movie with bad acting.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 970
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 6:14:42 PM   
Jar Jar Gabor

I don't understand the direction they seem to be taking Top Gear in.

As a car magazine show it was entertaining, interesting and informative. Its presenters had genuine chemistry and good humour.

As a sitcom it's half-baked, poorly scripted, poorly acted, utterly forced and completely annoying. The televisual equivalent of a circus clown dropping his trousers.

"My mother did throw me against a brick wall when I was an infant. I didn't get hurt at all. I've mentioned it to her a couple of times. She said I was a little prick."

DVD's wot I own.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 971
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 7:01:45 PM   
DazDaMan

I caught the repeat of last week's episode.

I'd basically repeat what others have said regarding the various segments.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Jar Jar Gabor)
Post #: 972
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 7:02:36 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I finally caught up with the second episode of the series. It was genuinely good. The bit on Nascar was informative and quite fun. James and Jeremy in China was again informative and interesting. Chinese Stig was daft, but still made me laugh. Mat Le Blanc, was a bit bland, but he did a hell of a lap. And the Merc was nicely showcased.

How they went from that to last week's episode I don't know. Hope this one will be back to the quality of the first two.

(in reply to Jar Jar Gabor)
Post #: 973
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 10:21:07 PM   
Hood_Man

Watching now, so far so good.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 974
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 10:35:57 PM   
DazDaMan

It was actually quite good. The challenge did seem to be actually quite genuine.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 975
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 10:36:03 PM   
sanchia

Definitely an improvement on the Grand Canyon low of last week.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 976
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 10:42:51 PM   
Saltire

Will have an ogle on a catch up but its getting more like House, where you fast-forward more than you actually watch the show!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 977
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 10:59:27 PM   
Hood_Man

The chubby squaddy looks quite nervous in his scooter

This is pretty good! All he show needs in these challenges is to place these guys outside their comfort zones, not challenges where they act silly in the day and spend the night in expensive hotels.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 978
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 11:02:16 PM   
Hood_Man

They're at Nantyffin! That's right near where I live!

SPOILER!

Fenton! FUnniest gag they've ever done!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 979
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 19/2/2012 11:04:12 PM   
DazDaMan

Yes, I thought that was pretty genius, too!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 980
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 20/2/2012 7:59:10 AM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

SPOILER!

they were also in Abergavenny which is just round the corner from where I live,

but I have to disagree with you I thought it was going great guns up until that point; in two years nobody will "get" the fenton gag, whereas the really good bits, that are genuinely funny, will be funny for decades.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 981
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 20/2/2012 3:32:57 PM   
Scruffybobby

Definite improvement on last week's episode. All the bits were interesting and at times it was very funny.

quote:

but I have to disagree with you I thought it was going great guns up until that point; in two years nobody will "get" the fenton gag, whereas the really good bits, that are genuinely funny, will be funny for decades.

I didn't get it last night. I had to look it up.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 982
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 20/2/2012 4:17:38 PM   
Saltire

Yeah it was decent last night, I'll give it that; only fast-forwarded through the 'star' part.

Post #: 983
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 20/2/2012 5:15:54 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

quote:

SPOILER!

they were also in Abergavenny which is just round the corner from where I live,

I get what you're saying but the bit in bold is something I've never really understood, surely anything that makes you laugh is genuinely funny, be that a classic Bill Hicks routine or even just a well placed whoopee cushion?

The Fenton bit caught me off guard I have to say

Abergavenny eh? I miss East Wales, always something to do there

Post #: 984
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 20/2/2012 6:00:23 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

I get what you're saying but the bit in bold is something I've never really understood, surely anything that makes you laugh is genuinely funny, be that a classic Bill Hicks routine or even just a well placed whoopee cushion?

The Fenton bit caught me off guard I have to say

Abergavenny eh? I miss East Wales, always something to do there

My point is that the fenton gag needs for you to have seen (or been aware of at least) the Fenton Video. where as, for example, Chinese Stig kicking James May in the plums, needs you to understand that getting hit in the plums hurts, it doesn't need to be high-brow, but for me "genuinly funny" is something that doesn't need you to have seen something beforehand.

If we take the Fenton Gag from last night, the same set up (old man chasing after out of control scooter) could have been done without the specific Fenton reference, a silhouette of the scooter rolling down a hill left to right and, a beat after the scooter disappears from shot, Jeremy follows - maybe stopping to take a breather halfway through the shot. (probably not funny reading it, but with the right timing it could be good)

And as for Abergavenny, I used to live just over the hill (on the right side of the border) but we've moved just north of Monmouth, it was just a bit weird to see the boys shooting through the high street and the market.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 985
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 29/1/2013 8:34:53 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Unimpressed by the latest episode. Just didn't find it all that funny or interesting really....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 986
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 29/1/2013 9:30:19 AM   
blackduck

The super car bit was fine, but they're so over produced now that the cars are interchangable.
The Bently bit was good, but James pretending to be confused by the instruction book was a bit annoying.
the little car bit was daft filler, but I did get a laugh or two out of it.

all in all nothing special but nothing terrible either, they really need an extra presenter to freshen it up

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 987
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 4/2/2013 12:14:11 PM   
blackduck

God last nights show was dull. the only interesting bit was Mick Fleetwood talking about the Rumours years

I am but an egg.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 988
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 4/2/2013 12:31:34 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I've been getting increasingly bored with Top Gear. To the extent that last week's episode I recorded and fast forwarded through most of it. This week's I even forgot to record.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 989
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 4/2/2013 1:34:10 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I've been getting increasingly bored with Top Gear. To the extent that last week's episode I recorded and fast forwarded through most of it. This week's I even forgot to record.

Yeah I have been doing the same the last few seasons tbh. I only watched it last night as Barca had just finished and there was nothing on until the Superbowl started!

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Top Gear: New Series Page: <<   < prev  30 31 32 [33] 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI