Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top Gear: New Series

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Top Gear: New Series Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 31/1/2012 11:43:14 AM   
Professor Moriarty

Anyone see the start of the new series?

I thought it was pretty good. The lads certainly put their foot down going round Imola. Nice cars too. And Will.I.Am in not a complete cock shocker.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 931
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 31/1/2012 11:55:58 AM   
blackduck

I enjoyed it, but it's the exact same as the last series and the one before that.
It's still fun, but getting all to familiar. But I did wince when Jezza scraped the bottom of the Lambo.

Biggest surprise wa,s like you said, Will.I.am not being a complete cock.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 932
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 31/1/2012 12:04:39 PM   
Titanm21

I find it harder and harder to watch Top Gear these days... the staged stuff is just more and more noticeable and there for takes me out of enjoying the show.  Also Iím sick of seeing Supercars, I much prefer the challenges and look back on old motors they sometimes do.

Ö oh god Iíve turned into my dad

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 933
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 31/1/2012 12:09:35 PM   
Saltire

Yeah I feel the same; I stated on another forum I wouldn't watch it again, though I did renege on that to see if anything would be different. Alas, no. While there were some decent bits in it; it was still staged to high heaven and the news and star part really have to go. I will definitely not return for next weeks ep (unless they replace Hammond with Sabine or something like that!! ).

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 934
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 31/1/2012 12:15:35 PM   
DazDaMan

I forgot it was on, so will try to catch it next weekend.

Hammond's the least entertaining/interesting of the three guys.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 935
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 1/2/2012 1:10:19 PM   
Wild about Wilder

I liked it worth it just to see Hammond & the Italian toe truck drivers & James trying to charm the female police officer.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 936
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 1/2/2012 3:51:11 PM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

I liked it worth it just to see Hammond & the Italian toe truck drivers & James trying to charm the female police officer.

See the Truck Driver thing was so painfully staged... But the Female Copper looked like it really happened.

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 937
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 1/2/2012 3:59:33 PM   
Spaldron

I still enjoy it but agree with the above in that its getting increasingly more staged, like WWE. Especially the Indian christmas special. James is the least twattish of the three.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 938
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 9:46:01 AM   
HIM

I can't believe some of the negativity in this thread! Top Gear has been exactly like this for years now. Sure, the obviously staged parts are annoying, but it's Top Gear. It's endlessly rewatchable. I still watch it on Dave even though I've seen them all mulitple times. I'll admit the India Special was a bit disappointing, but I thought the first episode of this series was great.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 939
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 9:48:24 AM   
Harry Tuttle

Yeah I liked the last episode as well. Then again after the god awful India special the only way was up anyway.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 940
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 9:52:34 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Yeah I liked the last episode as well. Then again after the god awful India special the only way was up anyway.

I didn't see the Christmas India Special but to a man, everyone is saying it was truely awful, what was so bad about it beyond the usual that we are all listing anyway (the staging, pompus Clarkson etc.)

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 941
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 10:21:25 AM   
Titanm21

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

I didn't see the Christmas India Special but to a man, everyone is saying it was truely awful, what was so bad about it beyond the usual that we are all listing anyway (the staging, pompus Clarkson etc.)

It was like watching an episode of 'Some Mothers do Have Em' on the road. It was the most staged an episode I've ever seen (the mini winch being an example) from the team which is disappointing because the specials are normally the best.

The only truly honest moment was Clarkson (I think) almost losing his hands out the train window with that banner.

Donít get me wrong I love Top Gear but they are beginning to piss in their own soup.

(in reply to JIm R)
Post #: 942
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 10:42:55 AM   
HIM

I think the problem with the Specials is - and this has been the case for the last few now - is that because it's a 'Special' they seem to think that they have to one-up the last special. So there's loads of planning that goes into them and lots of people saying, 'Wouldn't it be great if this happened...' etc.. So before they even set off they know exactly what's going to happen every step of the way. Ironically, this is what makes each subsequently 'Special' progressively worse. Top Gear at it's best is about setting up a simple premise and letting the humour come from that. At it's worst, it's setting up ever more complex premises and trying to engineer the humour after that. Hopefully after the negative reviews that the Indian Special received they'll reign it in for the next special.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 943
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 11:51:51 AM   
DazDaMan

As far as the specials go, my personal favourites are the Botswana and Vietnam ones.

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 944
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 1:10:41 PM   
Titanm21

I was always a fan of the American ones... If we're adding the in season specials

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 945
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 1:13:27 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I caught this last night on BBC3 and to be honest...I really enjoyed it.

It was the least contrived episode I have seen in years. The tow truck thing initially wasn't staged and Hammond handled it really well, admittedly after that it was totally set up. The lads really put the boot down at Imola, you could tell Clarkson was genuinely terrified at parts as he wasn't doing his usual nonsensical "It's like gargling a hammer" shite. He was just quiet and focused.

Also had a giggle at the reference of the last time Hammond tried to break a speed limit, they never mention it so it was fitting as I would imagine it came up in pre production!

I don't mind if it supercars/ordinary cars just as long as they are willing to let the challenges play out without contrivance.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 946
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 1:21:22 PM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled
The tow truck thing initially wasn't staged and Hammond handled it really well, admittedly after that it was totally set up. The lads really put the boot down at Imola, you could tell Clarkson was genuinely terrified at parts as he wasn't doing his usual nonsensical "It's like gargling a hammer" shite. He was just quiet and focused.

I think that sort of thing is when it's at it's best, when they're out of their comfort zones, so to speak. There was an episode a couple of years ago where Clarkson was driving a car that had been modded to have an upstairs (it was like 2-stories high ) and you could see he was genuinely shitting himself about it toppling over.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 947
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 1:58:40 PM   
DazDaMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

quote:

The tow truck thing initially wasn't staged and Hammond handled it really well, admittedly after that it was totally set up. The lads really put the boot down at Imola, you could tell Clarkson was genuinely terrified at parts as he wasn't doing his usual nonsensical "It's like gargling a hammer" shite. He was just quiet and focused.

I think that sort of thing is when it's at it's best, when they're out of their comfort zones, so to speak. There was an episode a couple of years ago where Clarkson was driving a car that had been modded to have an upstairs (it was like 2-stories high ) and you could see he was genuinely shitting himself about it toppling over.

The motorhome challenge. Spoiled somewhat by Hammond's utterly ridiculous idea. You could tell at least that the other two MIGHT have put some genuine thought into it.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 948
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 3:09:34 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

I think the problem with the Specials is - and this has been the case for the last few now - is that because it's a 'Special' they seem to think that they have to one-up the last special. So there's loads of planning that goes into them and lots of people saying, 'Wouldn't it be great if this happened...' etc.. So before they even set off they know exactly what's going to happen every step of the way. Ironically, this is what makes each subsequently 'Special' progressively worse. Top Gear at it's best is about setting up a simple premise and letting the humour come from that. At it's worst, it's setting up ever more complex premises and trying to engineer the humour after that. Hopefully after the negative reviews that the Indian Special received they'll reign it in for the next special.

The best things happen when things are unplanned though. I watch the Volvo Ocean Race and the adventures these lads have when things go wrong (or right) makes it (for me) compelling viewing. Top Gear used to have specials and events like that but things have been becoming increasingly staged since the put that open-top Renault (iirc) into the car wash and its been downhill since then. They dont have to force things, make things up to make it watchable; sometimes all we want to see is them having some genuine (mis)adventures.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 949
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 3:11:58 PM   
Saltire

quote:

I caught this last night on BBC3 and to be honest...I really enjoyed it.

It was the least contrived episode I have seen in years. The tow truck thing initially wasn't staged and Hammond handled it really well, admittedly after that it was totally set up. The lads really put the boot down at Imola, you could tell Clarkson was genuinely terrified at parts as he wasn't doing his usual nonsensical "It's like gargling a hammer" shite. He was just quiet and focused.

Also had a giggle at the reference of the last time Hammond tried to break a speed limit, they never mention it so it was fitting as I would imagine it came up in pre production!

I don't mind if it supercars/ordinary cars just as long as they are willing to let the challenges play out without contrivance.

Yup that and the look on Hamsters face when he was spinning the car off the track - the Imola part was real and good fun.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 950
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 3/2/2012 3:25:30 PM   
Chief

I caught a bit of it and it was.... alright. I've more or less stopped watching altogether.

The Star in the Reasonably Prices car bit just gets on my tits.

Post #: 951
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 6/2/2012 9:52:03 AM   
blackduck

Thought it was rather good last night, Jeremy seemed to have a soft spot for the Merc which raised it above the usual supercar of the week slot,
Hamsters genuine love of Nascar lifted his bit too and the China bit was the right balance of entertaining and informative that they rarely get right any more.....and I laughed at Chineese Stig a lot more that I should have, it was an easy joke but it kinda worked.
And Matt LeBlanc looks like a nice if slightly dull guy.

I am but an egg.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 952
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 8/2/2012 10:42:38 AM   
Titanm21

Loved last Sundays... back on form lads. Really enjoyed teh whole China bit and was killing myself with Kung Fu Stig

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 953
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 8/2/2012 1:22:54 PM   
Hood_Man

Is it just me or did the China section of the show look quite cheap compared to their usual standard of video? Not that I'm complaining, I actually quite liked it. I'm getting a bit bored of the usual High Contrast Blue Filter look, this made a nice change.

(in reply to Titanm21)
Post #: 954
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 9/2/2012 8:04:03 PM   
HIM

quote:

ORIGINAL: blackduck

Thought it was rather good last night, Jeremy seemed to have a soft spot for the Merc which raised it above the usual supercar of the week slot,
Hamsters genuine love of Nascar lifted his bit too and the China bit was the right balance of entertaining and informative that they rarely get right any more.....and I laughed at Chineese Stig a lot more that I should have, it was an easy joke but it kinda worked.
And Matt LeBlanc looks like a nice if slightly dull guy.

Yeah I thought it was one of the best episodes in a long time. I really the films they make. does anyone remember the one a few years ago when James drove the hydrogen powered car? I love ones like that. It makes a change from the usual road trips and all the mishaps that 'accidentally' along the way.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 955
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 12/2/2012 8:55:25 PM   
sanchia

Why did the Sweeney film lot get involved in this? Do they honestly think this will whet the appetite for the film? All I am learning is that the chemistry between the two main actors is lacking.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 956
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 12/2/2012 9:30:42 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Ye gawds that was terrible. Ah well....

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 957
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 12/2/2012 10:14:41 PM   
Scruffybobby

Christ Nick Love is a tosser isn't he? I wanted to kick my telly in whenever he appeared. The whole stunt thing was stupid and I really have no interest in seeing the film.

Still I liked James's bit and Ryan Reynolds seemed like quite a likeable bloke so it wasn't all bad.

Post #: 958
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 12/2/2012 11:22:42 PM   
Spaldron

I think Nick Love was just playing up to the camera. I'm sorry to say I kinda like the look of The Sweeney, looks like a future guilty pleasure.

Guns and car chases can't ever be a bad thing.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 12/2/2012 11:23:09 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 959
RE: Top Gear: New Series - 13/2/2012 11:12:07 AM   
Mute

I thought the Sweeney segment was excruciating. Far too much of it looked staged and most of the misunderstandings and failures looked awkward and cringeworthy rather than funny. Even though Clarkson had a few good ideas, you could really tell that none of the crew wanted them there. Very disappointing. I liked Ryan Reynolds as a guest, though. He seemed like a very likeable and engaging interviewee, and his appearance was definitely the episode's highlight.

PSN: blackout505

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 960
Page:   <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Top Gear: New Series Page: <<   < prev  30 31 [32] 33 34   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI