Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Obama Outraises Clinton Again

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Obama Outraises Clinton Again Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Obama Outraises Clinton Again - 7/6/2007 10:06:11 PM   
matthewforan

The Democrats seem to be feeding off each other to get the nom, the Republicans will be loving it but they'll have to go through the same thing. It's going to be interesting to see if America will give the Republicans another shot in the White House

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 151
RE: Obama Outraises Clinton Again - 8/6/2007 10:26:21 AM   
TobiasFunke

It will be interesting to see what level of involvement Dubya has in the Republican nominee's campaign e.g. whether he'll appear at rallies and stuff. Given that so many Republicans now seem to be distancing themselves from him. Also, if a Republican wins office, which Bush puppet masters...sorry, staff, will return to the White House?

Guiliani could be the perfect candidate for the Democrats. Huh, I hear you ask. Well, with his past of failed marriages, affairs and 'dragging up' every now and then, I think if he gets the nomination his past will define his campaign. He does have his handling of 9/11 working in his favour, but are Americans looking for someone to manage a crisis, or a President who can take decisive action to remove troops from Iraq? If its the latter, I think the Democrats will have this nailed.  

Bill Maher: Herbert Hoover was a shitty President but even he didn't concede an entire metropolis to rising water and snakes!

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 152
RE: Obama Outraises Clinton Again - 13/6/2007 5:12:17 PM   
LB Jeffries

Clinton Gets Spielberg Endorsement

NEW YORK — Democrat Hillary Rodham Clinton has won the endorsement of film producer and director Steven Spielberg, ending a tug-of-war between Clinton and Barack Obama for the Hollywood heavyweight's affections.
"I've taken the time to familiarize myself with the impressive field of Democratic candidates and am convinced that Hillary Clinton is the most qualified candidate to lead us from her first day in the White House," Spielberg said Wednesday in a statement released by the Clinton campaign.
Spielberg has been a supporter and contributor to Clinton in the past, but his support for her presidential bid wasn't always certain. In February, he co-hosted a Beverly Hills fundraiser for Obama with his DreamWorks production partners David Geffen and Jeffrey Katzenberg that brought in more than $1.3 million. Katzenberg is backing Obama, as is Geffen, a former Clinton ally turned critic.
Spielberg has directed some of Hollywood's most admired films, including "Jaws," "E.T. The Extraterrestrial," "Jurassic Park," "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan."

Clinton Not Worried By Obama Fundraising Power

WASHINGTON — Senator Clinton insists she is not worried about the fund-raising prowess of her chief Democratic rival, Senator Obama, but a recent flurry of campaign activity suggests she is leaving nothing to chance.
On a day when her campaign was touting the endorsement of a prominent Hispanic senator, making a new appeal for cash, and rallying support among women of color, Mrs. Clinton downplayed the potential impact of an Obama victory in the next round of fund raising.
"It would mean nothing to my campaign. Nothing at all," Mrs. Clinton declared to reporters yesterday after announcing the endorsement of Senator Menendez of New Jersey. The former first lady had started to leave the event, but she stepped back to the microphone to answer a question about Mr. Obama's fund raising.
She said she was out-raised "two to one" in her first Senate campaign in 2000, a race in which she defeated Rick Lazio after Mayor Giuliani dropped out. That was an apparent reference to the combined fund-raising of Messrs. Lazio and Giuliani.
"I hope other Democrats do well, because that shows the appetite for change," Mrs. Clinton said. "But for me, all I care about is that we're going to have the resources we need to run a winning campaign, and we do."
Her comments come as the White House hopefuls are ramping up their fund-raising efforts before the next filing period ends on June 30. Despite Mrs. Clinton's advantage in experience and her vast network of donors, Mr. Obama raised more primary funds during the year's first quarter.
As it has done frequently in recent months, Mrs. Clinton's campaign took steps yesterday to undercut the Illinois senator's perceived strength among minority voters. She attended a private fund-raising event in Washington honoring 300 "women of color," including Reps. Stephanie Tubbs Jones of Ohio and Nydia Velazquez of New York, and Mary Wilson of the singing group the Supremes. An aide said the event brought in more than $125,000 for the campaign.
Mrs. Clinton separately announced the hiring of a former president of the National Black MBA Association, Alvin Brown, to serve as a senior adviser to the campaign on urban policy. Mr. Brown is a former top aide to Vice President Gore and held several high-level positions in the Clinton administration.
And Mrs. Clinton appeared with Mr. Menendez, who became the second prominent Hispanic politician to endorse her candidacy in recent weeks. Late last month, she secured the backing of the mayor of Los Angeles, Antonio Villaraigosa, who had been courted by several Democratic candidates.
The New York senator had earlier won the endorsement of New Jersey's Governor Corzine.
Finally yesterday, Mrs. Clinton's campaign manager, Patti Solis Doyle, sent out a fund-raising appeal via e-mail aimed at using Republican attacks on Mrs. Clinton to rally support and generate cash.
"Fairness. It drives the Republicans nuts," the e-mail began, explaining how some Republicans had responded to Mrs. Clinton's speech last month in New Hampshire calling for a new "progressive vision" for the country. In the address, Mrs. Clinton proposed letting President Bush's tax cuts for high earners expire and eliminating subsidies and tax breaks for corporations.
The e-mail quoted the Republican National Committee as calling Mrs. Clinton's plan a "left-wing agenda" that must be stopped. " The Republicans are already gunning for Hillary because they know she would be the most difficult candidate to beat," Ms. Solis Doyle wrote.
The letter highlighted a Clinton strategy both to use Republican criticism as a fund-raising tool and to project the confidence of experience in appealing to Democratic primary voters as the candidate most equipped to defeat the Republican Party. "After 20 years on the national stage, Hillary knows how they operate," Ms. Solis Doyle wrote. "She knows how to beat them. And she knows we must respond to attacks like these."
The appeal appeared to target middle-class supporters. The e-mail touted Mrs. Clinton's plan to "level the playing field" and asked for donations for $75, $50, $25, "or any amount you can afford."
As the end of the current filing period approaches, the rival campaigns in recent days have been jockeying to set expectations for the release of second-quarter figures next month. After raising more than $25 million in the first quarter, an Obama aide said yesterday that the campaign would be happy to raise $20 million for the second quarter.
The Clinton campaign has said publicly only that it expects to match its haul of $26 million in the first quarter, but an aide yesterday scoffed at the $20 million estimate by the Obama campaign, saying that donors had been told that the second-quarter goal was upward of $40 million.
Political analysts said that while it clearly would be beneficial to Mr. Obama to come out ahead in fund-raising, it would not hurt Mrs. Clinton's bid. " Obama has more to gain than Hillary has to lose," the acting dean of Boston University's College of Communication, Tobe Berkovitz, said. "If she's modestly out-raised, I don't think that's a sign necessarily of weakness."

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to TobiasFunke)
Post #: 153
Sorry You're Not A Winner - 13/6/2007 7:45:20 PM   
matthewforan

If I were Clinton i'd be worried about Obama's fund raising power. Then again there will be similarities with Clinton's fund raising, black and woman turn outs will explode it's going to be an interesting race.

"The Irish have always been victims of negative stereotyping. I mean people think we're all drunks and brawlers. And sometimes that gets you so mad all you wanna do is get drunk and punch somebody"

Clear Eyes Full Hearts Can't Lose

Punchdrunk RIP

Post #: 154
Bloomberg Gearing Up - 19/6/2007 4:53:33 PM   
LB Jeffries

Bloomberg Talking Like A Candidate

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., June 18 — Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, sounding every inch the presidential candidate he insists he is not, brought his message of pragmatic, nonpartisan leadership to California on Monday, telling a crowd of Google employees that the nation was “really in trouble.”
In unusually stark terms, Mr. Bloomberg expressed his frustration with the state of the nation, touching on campaign-style issues like the war in Iraq, immigration, education, health care and crime before a crowd of more than 1,000 employees at the Google campus here.
“Whoever out of those 20 becomes president I think has to do something about a country that I think is really in trouble,” Mr. Bloomberg said, referring to the current crop of candidates. “There’s the war, there is our relationships around the world.”
“Our reputation has been hurt very badly in the last few years,” he continued, criticizing what he called a “go-it-alone mentality” in an increasingly interconnected world.
The trip west comes as speculation about Mr. Bloomberg’s presidential ambitions has intensified, with his increasing travels around the country to speak about national issues, and with aides promoting the idea behind the scenes.
Mr. Bloomberg made his comments as a guest speaker at Google, technically as part of their series of authors, ostensibly because of his autobiography, “Bloomberg by Bloomberg,” which was published in 1997. But the notion of his making a third-party run at the White House was never far from the surface.
Indeed, in introducing Mr. Bloomberg, Alan Davidson, Google’s senior policy counsel, said, to laughter, that the hourlong discussion was not part of the candidates’ series, which has already brought former Senator John Edwards, Gov. Bill Richardson and Senators Hillary Rodham Clinton and John McCain to the campus.
Asked about the subject, Mr. Bloomberg said that he was not a candidate for president and intended to finish out his term, which lasts through 2009, and then become a full-time philanthropist. Nonetheless, he declined to say definitively that he would not run, calling a question from a reporter asking him if he would rule out a candidacy too “Shermanesque” to answer.
In his remarks, he sounded much like a candidate for national office. He returned to a pet theme, criticizing the federal government for its immigration policies and what he sees as insufficient attention to rising costs of Social Security and health care.
Mr. Bloomberg also took a swipe at the presidential candidates of both parties, saying they were not offering serious ideas about improving public education or lowering street crime.
Arguing that people have a much greater chance of being killed by street crime than by a terror attack, he said: “Yet every press conference, they all beat their chests and say, ‘I can protect this country better from terrorism.’ Well, what about protecting them out in the streets every day?”
Mr. Bloomberg began his day in San Francisco. urging members of the Commonwealth Club, a public affairs group, to exert pressure on Congress to drop an amendment from its spending bill this year that limits the way the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives releases information about the source of illegal guns.
He ended the day in Los Angeles, where he assailed what he called the “swamp of dysfunction” in Washington. His remarks came in a speech opening a two-day conference for which Mr. Bloomberg is a co-host with the mayor of Los Angeles, Antonio Villaraigosa.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to matthewforan)
Post #: 155
Bloomberg About To Announce? - 20/6/2007 1:50:50 PM   
LB Jeffries

Bloomberg Leaves GOP In Preparation For Independent Presidential Run

NEW YORK — New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Tuesday switched his party status from Republican to unaffiliated, a stunning move certain to be seen as a prelude to an independent presidential bid that would upend the 2008 race.
The billionaire former CEO, who was a lifelong Democrat before he switched to the GOP for his first mayoral run, said the change in voter registration does not mean he is running for president.
"Although my plans for the future haven't changed, I believe this brings my affiliation into alignment with how I have led and will continue to lead our city," he said in a statement.
Despite his coyness about his aspirations, the mayor's decision to switch stokes speculation that he will pursue the White House, challenging the Democratic and Republican nominees with a legitimate and well-financed third-party bid.
Bloomberg has an estimated worth of more than $5 billion and easily could underwrite a White House run, much like Texas businessman Ross Perot in 1992. Bloomberg spent more than $155 million for his two mayoral campaigns, including $85 million when he won his second term in 2005.
The 65-year-old mayor has fueled the presidential buzz with increasing out-of-state travel, including New Hampshire last weekend; a greater focus on national issues and repeated criticism of the partisan politics that dominate Washington.
"The politics of partisanship and the resulting inaction and excuses have paralyzed decision-making, primarily at the federal level, and the big issues of the day are not being addressed, leaving our future in jeopardy," he said in a speech Monday at the start of a University of Southern California conference about the advantages of nonpartisan governing.
A Bloomberg entry would roil the already volatile and wide-open race to succeed President Bush.
"If he runs, this guarantees a Republican will be the next president of the United States. The Democrats have to be shaking in their boots," said Greg Strimple, a Republican strategist in New York who is unaligned in the race.
The belief among some operatives is that Bloomberg's moderate positions would siphon votes from the Democratic nominee. Others say it's not clear and his impact would depend on the nominees.
Former Democratic Party Chairman Donald Fowler said Bloomberg would be "a disturbing factor to both parties," but the mayor would probably draw more Republican votes simply because "Republicans are more disenchanted than Democrats."
He called Bloomberg "an exceptionally capable guy" who is "hard-nosed and accomplished," but argued that the obstacles for a third-party candidate are so daunting that it would be nearly impossible for Bloomberg to win.
In 1992, Perot captured 19 percent of the popular vote as Democrat Bill Clinton seized the presidency from incumbent Republican President George H.W. Bush. Independent Ralph Nader played the spoiler in the 2000 race, taking votes from Democrat Al Gore in a disputed election won by President George W. Bush.
Strategists say he could mount a third-party campaign by stressing that he is a two-term mayor in a Democratic city and that he built his reputation as a political independent, social moderate and fiscal conservative.
Throughout his 5 1/2 years as mayor, Bloomberg has often been at odds with his party and Bush. He supports gay marriage, abortion rights, gun control and stem cell research, and raised property taxes to help solve a fiscal crisis after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
But he never seemed willing to part with the GOP completely, raising money for the 2004 presidential convention and contributing to Bush and other Republican candidates.
Just last year, he told a group of Manhattan Republicans about his run for mayor: "I couldn't be prouder to run on the Republican ticket and be a Republican."
On most occasions, Bloomberg has rolled his eyes at the suggestion that he might one day be a presidential contestant. But during a holiday party with City Hall staffers last December he performed a Bruce Springsteen rendition of "Born to Run."
Appearing Monday at Google Inc.'s California campus, Bloomberg teased questioners about a presidential bid, refusing to rule out the prospect but repeating that he plans to serve out his term through 2009. And he didn't debunk a report that he talked about an independent presidential bid with former Sen. David Boren, D-Okla.
Asked about a hypothetical independent candidate entering the race, Bloomberg launched a broad critique of the Bush administration and Congress and lamented the presidential debates to date.
"I think the country is in trouble," Bloomberg said, citing the war in Iraq and America's declining standing globally.
"Our reputation has been hurt very badly in the last few years," he said. "We've had a go-it-alone mentality in a world where, because of communications and transportation, you should be going exactly in the other direction."
But Bloomberg on Tuesday in California restated that he was not planning a presidential run.
"I have no plans to announce a candidacy because I plan to be mayor for the next 926 days," he said.
His entry into the campaign would give the presidential contest a decidedly New York flavor, with Hillary Rodham Clinton, the New York senator on the Democratic side, and former New York mayor Rudy Giuliani on the Republican.

Post #: 156
Hillary Attacks Bush - 21/6/2007 12:50:00 AM   
LB Jeffries

Hillary Attacks Bush - 'A Stunning Record of Secrecy and Corruption, of Cronyism Run Amok'

WASHINGTON — Trying to win over her party's liberal activists, Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton on Wednesday accused President Bush of disregarding the Constitution and promised to bring a new progressive vision to the White House.
Bush's government has "a stunning record of secrecy and corruption, of cronyism run amok," she said in one of the more partisan speeches of her campaign. "It is everything our founders were afraid of, everything our Constitution was designed to prevent."
Clinton returned to the Take Back America conference where she was booed last year for opposing a set date for pulling U.S. troops from Iraq. This time, she said she is working to deauthorize the war.
Her comments on Iraq at the end of her 30-minute speech drew heckles, but she also won applause for promising to get out of Iraq and for embracing liberal positions on domestic issues such as health care, worker rights, education and stem cell research.
Bush vetoed a bill later in the day that would have eased restraints on federally funded embryonic stem cell research. Clinton, who spoke about six hours before the veto, promised to lift the restrictions if elected.
"This is just one example of how the president puts ideology before science, politics before the needs of our families, just one more example of how out of touch with reality he and his party have become," she said. "And it's just one more example as to why we're going to send them packing in January 2009 and return progressive leadership to the White House.
One audience member yelled, "Impeach him!"
After his veto, Bush said he will not allow human life to be destroyed to save others.
On Iraq, Clinton said the military has succeeded by removing Saddam Hussein from power, giving Iraqis the chance for free and fair elections and to govern themselves.
"The American military has succeeded. It is the Iraqi government which has failed to make the tough decisions that are important for their own people," Clinton said, although a loud chorus of boos cut off the end of her sentence.
"You know, I love coming here every year," Clinton said with a smile while the crowd continued to boo, with her supporters trying to drown the protesters out in cheers.
Members of the anti-war group Code Pink stood up throughout the audience, raising signs and holding up their fingers in a peace sign.

Post #: 157
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 21/6/2007 8:12:59 AM   
stuartbannerman

makes a change from hillary having a go at Bush.
Bill had a go at Bush for years.

www.stuartbannerman.co.uk

http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/stuartbannerman

Post #: 158
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 25/6/2007 6:45:56 PM   
Sophloz2104

Bill still has a go at Bush.  Why don't they just ammend their constitution so they can bring back Bill!  I love Bill, he's just so awesome!

I dont like to eat things with cartoon characters that can talk or hatch a plan.

(in reply to stuartbannerman)
Post #: 159
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 14/7/2007 2:53:05 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

This is not really linked to the race for the White House but I have to say it now....

I am deeply saddened by America's current policy for one main reason, mainly that because like it or lump it the USA is the defining power on this planet. They exports customs, language, reason and belief and I believe that the current administration is doing a great diservice not only to the American people but to what generation of what America represents.

Th United States , in my eyes, always represented a place where the fair could triumph, where hard work and tolerance meant something. A place where, not exactly lined with Gold, would benefit anyone who was willing to work for a living be it national, non-national legal or illegal.

A place that was self aware to the point that they knew they were important and yet kept (albeit somewhat marginally) the rest of the world in view. A nation that produced true leaders of men, that faced down some the most heinous and terrifying acts of mankind without resorting to the baser instincts, in Short a light that the rest of the world could aspire to.

A country that views past crimes not as misdemeanors but as blotches on the nations skin, never to be repeated, a country that (maybe somewhat naively) looked to their Government for leadership but as a people also led the way.,

Iraq is (sadly to say) nothing more than our generations Vietnam. What troubles me most is who will pick up the baton afterwords? JFK led the way to Vietnam but evidence suggests he was about to pull out when he was assassinated, so now what?. After Nam the rte was Johnson and Nixon and the Bush's.....Clinton was effective in time of peace but important in time of war ( a delicious irony really).

Who is the leader to Mack the US great again, Obama?....Guilliani?......Hillary?...Thompson/McCain.

The United States can be great again, it can assert its place on the wold's stage as the foremost beacon of democracy and light if it doe not get bogged down in an idealogical civil war, are any of the above strong enough, intelligent enough bold enough to circumvent this

I truly hope that the next leader will learn from the mistakes of the current and not run the White House like a committee but have the courage of his/her convictions to stand tall, make the hard decision and bring the United States back to the forefront of the World stage

(in reply to Sophloz2104)
Post #: 160
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 14/7/2007 8:50:35 PM   
Sophloz2104

Seems like McCain has lost monentum after his two most senior aides handed in their resignations.  He is in single digits, trailing behind Guliani and Thompson.  Why can't British politics be as exciting!

I dont like to eat things with cartoon characters that can talk or hatch a plan.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 161
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 19/10/2007 10:38:12 AM   
ilovebeerme

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uselections08/story/0,,2194656,00.html

Saber rattling or a genuine defection? Would be interesting as it could allow the Democrats to promote an agenda a bit more to the left than usual.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Sophloz2104)
Post #: 162
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 19/10/2007 10:43:26 AM   
Felix

She's certainly not the first Clinton to enjoy laying into Bush...

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 163
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 19/10/2007 10:53:19 AM   
Sinatra

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 164
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 19/10/2007 10:53:56 AM   
The Hooded Man

If Hilary gets the Democrat nomination it means that a Republican will get the white house. Did anyone read her autobiography?
She admits to being a staunch republican before meeting Bill. An opportunist who, will no doubt, continue her country's long record of international atrocities.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 165
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 19/10/2007 11:00:04 AM   
Sinatra

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 166
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 19/10/2007 11:23:17 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

This is not really linked to the race for the White House but I have to say it now....

I am deeply saddened by America's current policy for one main reason, mainly that because like it or lump it the USA is the defining power on this planet. They exports customs, language, reason and belief and I believe that the current administration is doing a great diservice not only to the American people but to what generation of what America represents.

Th United States , in my eyes, always represented a place where the fair could triumph, where hard work and tolerance meant something. A place where, not exactly lined with Gold, would benefit anyone who was willing to work for a living be it national, non-national legal or illegal.

A place that was self aware to the point that they knew they were important and yet kept (albeit somewhat marginally) the rest of the world in view. A nation that produced true leaders of men, that faced down some the most heinous and terrifying acts of mankind without resorting to the baser instincts, in Short a light that the rest of the world could aspire to.

A country that views past crimes not as misdemeanors but as blotches on the nations skin, never to be repeated, a country that (maybe somewhat naively) looked to their Government for leadership but as a people also led the way.,

Iraq is (sadly to say) nothing more than our generations Vietnam. What troubles me most is who will pick up the baton afterwords? JFK led the way to Vietnam but evidence suggests he was about to pull out when he was assassinated, so now what?. After Nam the rte was Johnson and Nixon and the Bush's.....Clinton was effective in time of peace but important in time of war ( a delicious irony really).

Who is the leader to Mack the US great again, Obama?....Guilliani?......Hillary?...Thompson/McCain.

The United States can be great again, it can assert its place on the wold's stage as the foremost beacon of democracy and light if it doe not get bogged down in an idealogical civil war, are any of the above strong enough, intelligent enough bold enough to circumvent this

I truly hope that the next leader will learn from the mistakes of the current and not run the White House like a committee but have the courage of his/her convictions to stand tall, make the hard decision and bring the United States back to the forefront of the World stage

I'm sorry but US foreign policy since the second world war has only served the US and no one else. If you delve into their actions they have consistently attacked democracy where it doesn't suit them.

They are in it for the money and always have been - I'm not saying there's anything particularly suprising about a superpower acting in this manner but let's not start painting them as a beacon of democracy.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 167
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 19/10/2007 11:24:47 AM   
blackduck

quote:

ORIGINAL: LB Jeffries

Hillary Attacks Bush - 'A Stunning Record of Secrecy and Corruption, of Cronyism Run Amok'

Her comments on Iraq at the end of her 30-minute speech drew heckles, but she also won applause for promising to get out of Iraq and for embracing liberal positions on domestic issues such as health care, worker rights, education and stem cell research.
Bush vetoed a bill later in the day that would have eased restraints on federally funded embryonic stem cell research. Clinton, who spoke about six hours before the veto, promised to lift the restrictions if elected.
"This is just one example of how the president puts ideology before science, politics before the needs of our families, just one more example of how out of touch with reality he and his party have become," she said. "And it's just one more example as to why we're going to send them packing in January 2009 and return progressive leadership to the White House.
One audience member yelled, "Impeach him!"
After his veto, Bush said he will not allow human life to be destroyed to save others.

Odd, isn't that exactly what he's doing in Iraq

I am but an egg.

Post #: 168
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 19/10/2007 2:52:06 PM   
The Hooded Man

Quite frankly, Bush could not care less about the people of Iraq, as could any of the previous regimes in Washington. The real reason for their presence there is financial gain and to strengthen their position in the middle east for their joint invasion of Iran with their Israeli lapdogs.

< Message edited by The Hooded Man -- 19/10/2007 2:54:00 PM >

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to blackduck)
Post #: 169
RE: Hillary Attacks Bush - 20/10/2007 2:17:42 PM   
Woger

New candidate enters the race.
http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=&ml_collection=&ml_gateway=&ml_gateway_id=23786&ml_comedian=&ml_runtime=&ml_context=show&ml_origin_url=/shows/the_colbert_report/index.jhtml&ml_playlist=&lnk=&is_large=true

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 170
The 08' Candidate Quiz - 3/11/2007 3:45:10 PM   
LB Jeffries

Take the quiz that matches you with an 08' presidential candidate:

http://glassbooth.org/gbapp/index.php/Topic

Not sure if they are even remotely accurate but here's my results:

Democrats
Dennis Kucinich [D] 85%
Mike Gravel [D] 82%
Chris Dodd [D] 79%
Bill Richardson [D] 78%
John Edwards [D] 75%
Barack Obama [D] 75%
Hillary Clinton [D] 75%
Joe Biden [D] 74%

Republicans
Mitt Romney [R] 65%
John McCain [R] 56%
Rudy Guiliani [R] 52%
Fred Thompson [R] 50%
Mike Huckabee [R] 49%
Duncan Hunter [R] 45%
Tommy Tancredo [R] 44%
Ron Paul [R] 40%

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 171
RE: The 08' Candidate Quiz - 3/11/2007 4:07:26 PM   
Jackal

"Dennis Kucinich shares a 76% similarity with your beliefs"

Lowest was: "Duncan Hunter shares a 41% similarity with your beliefs"

Looks like I'm more of a Democrat.

Contro il fascismo. Ora e sempre. Resistenza.

Post #: 172
Iowa Caucus - TODAY - 3/1/2008 7:19:05 PM   
LB Jeffries

I've held off from posting in this thread for a few months due to the fact the campaigning started ridiculously early this time around but now the primaries are upon us!
Today is the day of the Iowa Caucus and both Democrat and Republican races are on a knife-edge. Here's a quick run-down of how things stand with the main contenders:

DEMOCRATS
Hillary Clinton - She thought she would win the early states and be crowned the nominee without having to break much of a sweat but she is in a real dog-fight here. So much so, that Bill has gone on record in recent days and tried to talk down expectations, stating it would be a 'miracle' if she were to win Iowa. The latest polling puts her a close third behind Obama and Edwards.

Barack Obama - He has picked up big momentum in the last couple of days and surged in the polls from third to first. It also looks like he is picking up big endorsements from fellow candidates - Kucinich and Richardson have instructed their supporter to pick Obama as their second choice candidate should it go to a final round of voting between Obama, Edwards and Clinton (which it will as no one candidate will muster a 15% margin of victory, which is what is needed to be declared the outright winner). You would think that Biden would also do the same as he and Obama are close friends and represent the same state (Illinois).

John Edwards - had the big mo' a week back but Obama has overtook him. Edwards superior ground-operation to all other candidates has meant that he has managed to stay in a statistical tie for the lead for much of the campaign despite the fact he has been massively outspent by Obama and Clinton. He has enormous union support which is key as they are extremely well organised on Caucus night. He will rely on picking up second choice votes for him to win and recent polls have stated that if he were to pick these up as expected he has a 5-point lead over the other two main candidates, although that will have tightened recently with Obama surging.

Verdict: Absolutely anyones - too close to call.
My prediction: Obama-Edwards-Clinton.

REPUBLICANS
Mitt Romney - he has spent a huge amount of his own personal fortune to try and take Iowa. This is because he will almost certainly win the next big primary to be held after this one - New Hampshire (he is the former-Governor). Winning Iowa as well will make him seem like the inevitable nominee and help in bringing in big money endrosements. His biggest sticking point is still the fact he is a Mormon and Christian Evangelicals are the Republicans biggest group of voters.

Mike Huckabee
- The former Baptist minister and Governor of Arkansas (from where Bill Clinton won the White House) is the current darling of the religious right in the Republican Party. He has surged in the last month from also-ran to leading candidate. He's in a statistical tie with Romney here and it would be massive if he were to win as he is also favourite in South Carolina which follows shortly.

Rudy Guiliani - Will not win in Iowa. Or New Hampshire, or Michigan, or South Carolina, or Nevada. Rudy is running an incredibly risky strategy which puts all his eggs in the big states baskets (Florida, California, New York). Guiliani is looking like finishing 5th or 6th here as he hasn't even campaigned and has dropped behind Huckabee, Romney, Thompson, McCain and even Ron Paul. He has taken a battering in the press recently because of his dodging accounting while Mayor of New York and firefighters unions have been slamming him in a concerted campaign because of his treatment of firefightrs before and after 9-11. Not the annointed nominee the mainstream media would have everyone believeand his neglect of the early states could cause him to seem too far back to many voters and donaters that he simply can't recover enough.

John McCain - The Comeback Kid. He was completely out of things a month ago but his numbers are surging and he should do well here and in New Hampshire. It is rumoured Fred Thompson could drop out of the race and endorse McCain after Iowa, which would be a big for him. I'm not sure McCain can win the nomination but he is a very interesting pick as VP as he has huge foreign policy experience which all the other candidates are sorely lacking.

Verdict: Romney and Huckabee slugging it out.
My prediction: Romney - just.

I'll be home from work at about 3:30am tomorrow morning so I'll be doing a bit of live-blogging here with the results if anybody is remotely interested.

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 173
RE: Iowa Caucus - TODAY - 3/1/2008 7:38:50 PM   
James2183

I am really hoping Obama comes through this and ends up the next President. Over the past few months the more I read about him, the more I like him. I watched his last speech he did at the end of last year and the man shows so much confidence and charisma it's remarkable. He is also the one that I agree on most policies with. I certainly think with the way the Republican's policies and candidates are being revealed, that whichecer Democrat wins the Primary, will take the White House. 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 174
RE: The 08' Candidate Quiz - 3/1/2008 7:49:42 PM   
Donnie Murdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jackal

"Dennis Kucinich shares a 76% similarity with your beliefs"

I was 75% with Kucinich.  He seems to be a popular bloke on this thread, shame I've never heard of him.

Praying for Obama to win in November though.  He seems like the only guy that'll be a genuine break with the past, and probably the only guy that can repair relations with the wider world.

My Blog - http://weeredsquirrel.com

(in reply to Jackal)
Post #: 175
Obama wins Iowa - 4/1/2008 3:57:22 AM   
LB Jeffries

Barack Obama has won the Iowa Caucus with 37% of the vote. John Edwards was second on 30% and Clinton came third on 29%.
Mike Huckabee won for the Republicans with 34% to Mitt Romney's 25%. John McCain looks to have completed a great comeback by snatching third-place from Fred Thompson and he has also pulled level with Romney in the polls in New Hampshire, which votes next in five days time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20080103/caucus-rdp/

(in reply to Donnie Murdo)
Post #: 176
RE: Obama wins Iowa - 4/1/2008 8:15:53 AM   
Brundlesflies

I think I've found the reason for Huckabee's success in Iowa though...

quote:

Tonight what we have seen is a new day in American politics," Huckabee, with actor and supporter Chuck Norris nearby, told cheering backers in Des Moines. "Tonight we proved that American politics is still in the hands of people like you."

Be afraid, be very afraid

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

Post #: 177
RE: Obama wins Iowa - 4/1/2008 9:04:37 AM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: LB Jeffries

Barack Obama has won the Iowa Caucus with 37% of the vote. John Edwards was second on 30% and Clinton came third on 29%.
Mike Huckabee won for the Republicans with 34% to Mitt Romney's 25%. John McCain looks to have completed a great comeback by snatching third-place from Fred Thompson and he has also pulled level with Romney in the polls in New Hampshire, which votes next in five days time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20080103/caucus-rdp/

Fantastic!

I'd never of expected him (Edwards, that is)to beat Clinton.

This could be huge though, and I imagine Hillary's worried () Hopefully, it'll encourage a policy rethink, especically over Iran.

I think 2nd place is good, (although I was hoping for 1st), for Edwards, enough to keep his campaign going anyway, and if Obama does eventually get the nomination, this potentially puts Edwards in a good position for the V-POTUS slot, because policy-wise, there is very little divergence between Obama and Edwards, unlike say, with Clinton.

< Message edited by Manchurian candidate -- 4/1/2008 9:24:42 AM >

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

Post #: 178
I(owa) Heart Huckabee - 4/1/2008 9:56:21 AM   
Chief Wiggum

So Obama's got the nod, no real surprise there, but Hilary into third, that was a bit of a shock.

on the republican side, Mike Huckabee? I may be entirely wrong, but isn't he a creationist from Arkansas.

I think I should add that the only reason I posted was to change the title of the thread and as such have nothing meaningful to add to the debate...

...sorry.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Manchurian candidate)
Post #: 179
RE: I(owa) Heart Huckabee - 4/1/2008 10:04:16 AM   
Manchurian candidate

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

So Obama's got the nod, no real surprise there, but Hilary into third, that was a bit of a shock.

on the republican side, Mike Huckabee? I may be entirely wrong, but isn't he a creationist from Arkansas.

...sorry.

I know, although, he doesn't stand a chance out of the deep south, and he'd get truncated by pretty much anyone if he were to run in the general election, hell, even Nader would stand a chance against him! Also, his creationist views are bound to alienate many, particularly independents.

"Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-fucking."
Lyndon B. Johnson
"British Beatitudes! … Beer, beef, business, bibles, bulldogs, battleships, buggery and bishops"
-Ulysses, By James Joyce
"Rose McGowan is a fucking clown"
-Harry Lime
"Who's Keith"
- Rhubarb

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Obama Outraises Clinton Again Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI