Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general Page: <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 31/10/2012 12:03:12 PM   
MrsFinkelstein

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ghidorah

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

So is this baaaaaad-ass storm gonna phuck around with the campaigns?

No unless you are a traditionalist. Traditional terms both Romeny and Obama are neck and neck. This storm is now the dominate factor in the presidential elections and the outcome will decide Obama fate. The super storm will test Obama leaderships and voters will pay close attention to his handling of this big crisis. Afterall Americans are voting for the canidate which they believe is best to keep Americans safe and improve lives. Obama has now a rare chance to prove to the Americans why he should be elected for the next four years.

Well, Obama has already proved he's better than GWB (not difficult I admit) by getting the response up and running even before the storm hit. Even Repubs are having to praise his handling of the situation. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/chris-christie-hurricane_n_2042834.html?ref=topbar

Meanwhile Mitt is keeping schtum, after all he thinks FEMA is evil and should be disbanded and that disaster aid should be given to the Private Sector, cause, afterall, he's a CEO and he knows what works.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/mitt-romney-fema_n_2044213.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

And you know, while he was CEO of Massachussets he stopped those flood waters with the aid of his magic pants, so he has experience. What? oh.........
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/mitt-romney-flooding_n_2042886.html?ref=topbar

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 5251
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 31/10/2012 11:54:45 PM   
Shifty Bench

Romney just keeps making himself look bad and Obama proves once again that he is proactive and just a bloody nice dude. He actually cares about people, I have a feeling that Romney would have a moan about it......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to MrsFinkelstein)
Post #: 5252
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 4/11/2012 8:10:26 PM   
Beno

Obama: What Happened To Him? BBC2 now ...... excellent.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 5253
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 4/11/2012 8:41:43 PM   
Shifty Bench

I can answer what happened to him- he became President and realised that despite holding that title, he still has to jump through hoops to get most things done. If Congress disagree, you have no hope in hell so a lot of his policies and promises failed because of this. He was doomed from the start and to label him the 'worst President ever' because he can't deliver things that are out of his control is ridiculous.

I may watch the show later on iPlayer to see if I'm close

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 5254
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 4/11/2012 8:53:50 PM   
Rgirvan44

People are acting like Obama hasn't done a thing in his term which is nonsense. Could he have done more? Sure - but given the Republican's hold of the House and their publicly declared goal of stopping him wherever they could...well what could you expect?

Plus he is going to win this.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 5255
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 4/11/2012 9:39:18 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

People are acting like Obama hasn't done a thing in his term which is nonsense.

Exactly! I have never understood that line of thought.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5256
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 4/11/2012 10:04:02 PM   
matty_b

I do hope you're right Girv. I don't think I could tolerate the right-wing braying if Romney gets in, and I don't even live in America.

Anyway, this is a pretty good piece on Obama's accomplishments. I guess you could say it was biased, but which political piece isn't?

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2012/10/barack-obama-is-a-great-president-yes-great.html

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 5257
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 4/11/2012 10:11:37 PM   
matty_b

And why is British political campaigning never as cool as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og35U0d6WKY&sns=fb

< Message edited by matty_b -- 4/11/2012 10:36:18 PM >

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5258
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 4/11/2012 10:33:54 PM   
adambatman82

PaddyPower have paid out on Obama bets this evening.

http://blog.paddypower.com/2012/11/04/paddy-power-pays-out-400000-on-obama-victory-in-u-s-presidential-election/

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5259
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 5/11/2012 1:28:24 PM   
Timon

The thing I don't get is, while our own political system isn't perfect, it doesn't take 18 months, cost BILLIONS of dollars and encourage attack ads and, in essence, the division of an entire country. It's amazing President Obama has got as much done as he had considering half of his first term involves running for re-election.

And yet many Americans view their system as the best in the world. At least ours is over in 6 weeks.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5260
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 5/11/2012 6:49:49 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

The thing I don't get is, while our own political system isn't perfect, it doesn't take 18 months, cost BILLIONS of dollars and encourage attack ads and, in essence, the division of an entire country. It's amazing President Obama has got as much done as he had considering half of his first term involves running for re-election.

It's debatable as to whether or not the US one actually does either. Many analysts have argued that the campaign has little to no effect on voting whatsoever. I guess it's arguable with this election that encouraging voter turnout is the major reason for such expenditure.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 5/11/2012 6:50:12 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5261
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 5/11/2012 7:12:57 PM   
DancingClown

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5262
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 9:36:43 AM   
sanchia

To quote Europe. It's the Final Countdown!

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 5263
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 10:26:28 AM   
matty_b

When does voting close on our time?

quote:

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5264
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 10:42:02 AM   
Shifty Bench

It varies from state to state. It closes 9pm in New York so that'll be 2am here but it's 8pm in California which is 4am here. Have a look at this site, see if it's helpful- click

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5265
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 11:02:31 AM   
matty_b

Cool.

I do want some sleep tonight, so was afraid that if results started coming in our time I'd never get any.

C'mon Obama...

quote:

Post #: 5266
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 11:05:47 AM   
Shifty Bench

I'm planning on staying up, I'll sleep a few hours before

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5267
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 11:21:00 AM   
Hood_Man

There's no way I can stay up for this, I need to wake up at around 6:45 in the mornings

Post #: 5268
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 11:32:22 AM   
Shifty Bench

I have no job and no life, so......actually that is sadder

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5269
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 11:33:01 AM   
sanchia

They probably will not have a lot of actual information to give until the morning.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5270
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 11:45:39 AM   
Shifty Bench

I like watching the coverage but yeah, we'll find out for sure in the morning. I can't remember when exactly it was announced last time, it was four years ago, I can hardly remember what I did yesterday.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 5271
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 11:47:38 AM   
jonson

Apart from watching The West Wing, I've never really concerned myself with American politics.
I do like how they debate proper issues (something we could learn from over here) and FB is going crazy with Anti-Obama and anti-Romney stuff.
I think I'l have to sit on the fence. I was really pleased that Obama got in 4 years ago, mainly because I would tend to sway towards the Democrats myself, he seemed genuine but also (and I know this SHOULDN'T be an issue) because he's black. I hoped it would once and for all put an end to colour being an issue in America. I think it may have made it worse, because clearly Obama has not been the President America and the world hoped for. And to see any democrat accusing people of being racist for not liking Obama makes me angry. To the point where I almost want Romney to win just to shut the narrow minded fuckers up.
The shit thrown about from both sides (Obama a Muslim - really?) really makes me wonder whether America is the most UNcivilised country, and certainly the UNITED part of USA seems to be really misguided. The press are more bias than anything we are used to, it's no wonder they have such contrasting choices for the next President.
I've been to 15 different states in America, spent over a year of my life there and met hundreds of great, decent and kind American people, so I find all the events surrounding the choosing of their President very bizarre and very ugly.
From a nation of hundreds of millions, they rattled their potential leader down to a choice of 2, neither of whom seem a good choice for "The Most Powerful Person On The Planet" to me.
I guess the lesser of 2 evils. A bit like what we have to choose from

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 5272
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 12:18:58 PM   
LEEJGM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I like watching the coverage but yeah, we'll find out for sure in the morning. I can't remember when exactly it was announced last time, it was four years ago, I can hardly remember what I did yesterday.

I remember being woken by my baby daughter 4 years ago at about 4.00am. Rather strangely she wanted to get up, so I put the telly on to see Obama making his acceptance speech. So, I suppose we're going to find out around that time.

I don't know that much about US politics but this vote affects Britain too in many ways. I have faith in the human race and I think that Obama will edge it.

Post #: 5273
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 12:21:31 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

From a nation of hundreds of millions, they rattled their potential leader down to a choice of 2, neither of whom seem a good choice for "The Most Powerful Person On The Planet" to me.
I guess the lesser of 2 evils. A bit like what we have to choose from

I think that is how the Economist summed it up this weekend. Obama isn't the best person to lead the US, but he's better than Romney

I think with most things in life you need a good reason to remove person who's already there. Either they've made a mess of things or the alternative looks a lot better. For all kinds of reasons Obama hasn't achieved much, but I don't think he's really screwed up either. And the alternative doesn't look any better.

Personally I think the CEO leader wasn't a bad idea, but you've got to have some political charisma too and it will be the inability for Romney to pick a side and stay on it that will finish him imo.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 5274
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 12:24:12 PM   
Rgirvan44

I honestly don't get where this "Obama hasn't done much" meme has come from - he has a done a lot more than Clinton managed. I think for those of us over the pond, we expect the President to almost be the leader of the free world. Obama is much more of an internal leader - he is far more concerned with home.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 5275
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 12:27:27 PM   
Shifty Bench

He has done plenty but nothing 'major' that anybody gives a shit about. This site is awesome- http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com/

(there's link to a PG/non-sweary version at the bottom which is great)

< Message edited by Shifty Bench -- 6/11/2012 12:35:43 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5276
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 12:31:47 PM   
Sinatra

It seems to me he is a good guy but the wrong President for the current climate... The whole health care thing has come at the wrong time.

I reckon he'll get in, though Mitt may get the popular vote.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5277
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 12:34:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

It seems to me he is a good guy but the wrong President for the current climate... The whole health care thing has come at the wrong time.

How so?

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5278
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 12:57:26 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

I reckon he'll get in, though Mitt may get the popular vote.

But there is never going to be the right time for Healthcare reform. The way the Republicans have framed it. from the clever: Tax on business & the Government overstepping their remit, to the batshit: Death Panels, Stealing from Medicare to pay for it means it was always going to mean that it became an incredibly divisive issue over the course of Obama's term.

The biggest failing of Obama's administraion in terms of the election has been his inability to pin Romney to the fucking wall on healthcare. He basically had the same plan when Govenor of Mass! Also his inability to strike a chord with voters initially over Romneys shitfing position on basically everything has made this a closer race than most right minded people thought it would be.

In terms of the last 4 years I feel that Obama has done only alright. He has followed through on some of his campaign promises, Healthcare, Don't ask Don't tell, some financial reform and his decision to bail out Detroit look more politically astute as time goes on.

He has also failed in some ways too. The arguement that the Reps controlled congress is a red herring, the Dems had it for nearly two years and frankly did not put it to use. Obama made the decision to draft Obama-care without considering teh fight he would have and the political capital he would have to spend if they lost the mid terms, which they did.

Having looked at it and tried to leave my inherent bias towards the Democrats aside I cannot for the life of me think why anyone thinks Romney would make an effective leader.

Trickle down economics is a myth, he has no firm plans to actually do anything about the economy-which is in a slow recovery already- and his position to date on Foreign affairs has shown he is nothing more than another empty suit who has to, in order to have a chane of being elected, pander to some of the more distasteful elements of the right.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5279
RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general - 6/11/2012 12:58:38 PM   
Professor Moriarty

I don't think you can argue that 40M Americans now having access to healthcare is anything but a good thing.

I suspect that what Sinatra is hinting at is that Obama's administration doesn't seem to be the most fiscally sound one and Obamacare will cost the economy much more. And it is unclear how he's going to balance any budgets between taxes coming in and monies going out.

There were some good moves to prevent a depression in the US and US banks seem to be in quite a good place thanks to some of the reforms. But averting a disaster and initiating a recovery are two different things and growth has been very slow in the US.

So, if his big job is on looking inwards, I'm not sure he's done much to make the US economically sound.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 5280
Page:   <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: The Obama Presidency and US politics in general Page: <<   < prev  174 175 [176] 177 178   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI