Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Devil's Rejects - 3/10/2005 3:32:27 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: The Devil's Rejects - 3/1/2006 4:13:01 PM   
jonson

Watched this at the weekend and throughly enjoyed it. If you can enjoy something this bleak that is.
As said above, Rob Zombie actually makes a neat job of directing this movie, with some nice touches which sadly House of 1000 corpses didn't have (even though I was one of the few who actually enjoyed it)
Great performances all around, the Firefly family certainly know how to fill a screen, I'll look forward to seeing more of their exploits..... SPOILER (yes, I know, I know, but never say never)

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.
Post #: 2
RE: The Devil's Rejects - 3/1/2006 5:54:24 PM   
Dark Angel

*SPOILERS*

Despite the fact that some people seem to like the Fireflys, I think the main strength of the film was that it managed to make me care about what happened to them as I hated them so much. I can't remember hating characters in a film as much as I despised them. The end scene with Freebird was undoubtedly the best scene and a great way to end the film but I really disliked the whole Wydell torturing scene because it was trying too blatantly to make you feel sympathy for the Fireflys. It was also way too predictable with Wydell failing to finish them off, then Spaulding's brother popping up and getting killed, then Tiny appearing out of nowhere. It really annoyed me how stupid and predictable that part was with Wydell deliberately leaving them in the burning house and not just killing them, but it did redeem itself with the fantastic end scene. Overall it was ok but nothing special. 6/10

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 3
RE: The Devil's Rejects - 3/1/2006 7:38:15 PM   
quatermass

I loved every minute of it. A great throwback to the grindhouse films of the 70's. I felt hatred and sorrow (at the end) for the firefly clan, no mean feat for someone directing only his second film. Still to watch the extra features on the second disc of the DVD, hope their as good as what I've heard.
And any film in which the line up includes Ken Foree and Ginger Lynn you gotta love.

< Message edited by quatermass -- 3/1/2006 7:51:41 PM >

(in reply to Dark Angel)
Post #: 4
RE: The Devil's Rejects - 3/1/2006 7:47:08 PM   
Swoz_MK

One of my favourite films of last year.

Improved on "...Corpses" which I thought was fantastic.

A great second effort by Mr Zombie.

(in reply to quatermass)
Post #: 5
The worst film of 2005 with out a shadow of a doubt - 8/3/2006 2:07:41 AM   
coolrex16

Words can not describe how I, apparently alone, despise this movie.
It's one of the most amateurishly and incompetently made films of the last 5 years. Mr Zombie obviously thinks it's clever to write a script that tries to offend christianity in everyway possible, I myself am not in anyway religious, it just feels very forced in the movie which just makes it seem more childish. And the words 'fuck,' 'shit,' and 'whore' do not need to be said in evry sentence to make a scrpt shocking, which is again, where Zombie falls flat on his face. The acting is abysmal and the characters are nothing but hateable. The only merit this film has is that it has ditched the strictly heavy metal soundtrack of House of 1000 corpses. And it's still not that good for it. Mr Zombie, it's not big, it's not clever. Just stop making films.
He is clearly some kind of Tim Burton or Wes Craven wanna be, and unfortunately for him, it requires talent, which is exactly what he lacks. And it is shown here as clear as day.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 6
- 28/3/2006 7:37:37 AM   
uargh

I totally love this movie. I already liked the first one but the sequal blew my mind. Zombie really improved the charaters and the story. The religious parallels are awesome and, as expected it is featured by a fantastic soundtrack. sorry guys but this is one of the best movies that where made in the last 10 years.

Post #: 7
Do savage murders create a good horror movie? You decid... - 17/4/2006 1:58:42 PM   
attree123

This movie was pretty sick. Obviously the director believes mass murder is cool, its not. 'The devils rejects' is a film that can never be praised for much, its not frightening, its not overly thrilling, and to be honest...its not that good. The whole 'Firefly' family are a bunch of brutal killers who live their lives believing that murder is nothing to be ashamed of, what sort of a message does that give out?

Post #: 8
Good enough - 13/5/2006 3:36:45 PM   
jamdodge1

Rob Zombie's horror/crime/thriller is dark and grisly enough to be Se7en but doesn't even come close in terms of visual greatnesss. However the characters are great and the entire sequence in the motel room was great. However, Mr. Zombie has no feelings for humans and brutal murder and rape is fun popcorn entertainment. Nevertheless this is a violent, nasty and exciting film with good performances/

Post #: 9
Fruity fucking tooty - 4/7/2006 5:53:33 PM   
OMGWTFBBQ

the second film from Rob Zombie and probably his best so far. It follows the further murserous exploits of the Firefly family. Zombie this time has decided to go for a more stylish approach which reminded me of old survival movies and spaghetti westerns. The dialogue is also a lot more better with some cooler lines and the characters are as fucked up as ever. Overall i loved it but i recommened it for none squeamish fans of horror. o yea the truck bit rocks.

Post #: 10
Better than 100corpses - 6/8/2006 4:46:39 AM   
spideyfan666

Fucking brilliant, holds the record for the most expletives in a movie but who fucking cares. A no holds bar, brutal totally deranged movie with excellent throwbacks to the 70's this is the way serial killer movies should be made, lets face it they aint nice people so why sugarcoat the truth? To all the people that bitch about this movie and all the swearing and all the so called glorification of rape and murder get a life there are actually deranged people in this world like that. Its a movie made for entertainment and its made to scare the shit out of you which it does!

Post #: 11
I expected better.. - 18/10/2006 1:53:43 PM   
George Vader

The Devil's Rejects is Rob zombies follow up to 2003's rather silly, but nether-the-less, enjoyable schlock horror flick "House Of 1000 Corpses".Once again we join the rather unpleasant Firefly family, Otis, Baby Firefly, and baby's father, Captain Spaulding as they head out on a road trip of murder and torture hotly pursued by a vengeful cop.

The film, like it's predecessor, apes Texas Chainsaw Massacre to the hilt, though this flick has quite a lot in common with TCM's first sequel, with the mad ass Cop and lashings of ultra-violence.The trouble is that, the most shocking aspect of the movie is that inbetween it's gratuitous violence, torture and sexual degradation the film is dare I say rather dull and pedestrian!

There are moments of note, a classic scene involving a jugganaut, the film's finale played out to a soundtrack of 'Freebird', the cast too is a cult movie fan's wet dream, Ken Foree (Dawn Of The Dead), Danny Trejo (From Dusk Till Dawn), William Forsyth (From Beyond) and Michael Berryman (The Hills Have Eyes) .

The end product though is nothing memorable, there is only so much degradation you take in 100 minutes, and this film proved to be just too OTT to even a seasoned gore hound like myself.

Post #: 12
The Devils Rejects - 6/3/2007 8:10:27 PM   
zombiewarehouse

A minor classic from Rob Zombie, who deserves real credit for creating three of the best horror characters of the last ten years, (I actually like these characters) and bringing a real grungy, 70s feel and docu - style to this. Yes its violent, but its aimed at people who like that sort of horror, and in this catagory it works really well. With a great soundtrack and a dash of humour. Zombie is not subtle, and he is very good at not being that. I can't wait to see his take on John Carpenters Halloween later this year, it aint gonna be pretty.

Post #: 13
The Devil's Rejects - 23/9/2007 9:06:08 PM   
solid snake

Now this is the last film i would want to watch but me and a friend watched the DVD on a Saturday night. I have to say its actually rather good. Its a strange mix of sadism thats disturbing but is topped off with some (often) bad taste humour. its well written and the acting is very good. I think this is the horror thats fans have been waiting for.

Post #: 14
Pure Violence - 25/2/2008 1:09:47 PM   
blaud

This is disgusting, gruesome schlock, and one of the worst films ever made

Post #: 15
Stick to the music Rob... - 2/8/2008 8:46:46 AM   
SkullKassidy

Seen this on TV last night and I have to say that Mr Zombie is an AWESOME singer/musician ...but not a good writer/director.

Now this film ...Yes, it does invoke the feel of 70s horror. Yes, it is savage. Yes, it is no holds barred. Yes, some of the performances with the limited script are good. But is that really enough to make it any good? You don't really care who lives or dies, so there is no tension hence no horror. The closest we get to being truly scared is when Moseley and Mrs Zombie take a family hostage, but they are despatched of so fast it hardly seems like there was any point.
Plus it really goes no where with it's characters making the road-movie element of it pretty useless too. It feels like we are supposed to be cheering on the villians (in one scene the cop chasing them takes some brutal revenge on the killers where we are obviously supposed root for the killers survival as they become the stalked) but we don't enjoy their company enough to enjoy the ride.

Empire once said (think it was in review to Zombie's Halloween remake) that old Rob doesn't care about the victims which is spot on why he none of horror efforts so far have had lots of brutality, but no actually horror. Remember, Leaterface was more scary cos we wanted the kids to get the hell out of there away from him!

Post #: 16
Stick to the music Rob... - 2/8/2008 8:46:47 AM   
SkullKassidy

Seen this on TV last night and I have to say that Mr Zombie is an AWESOME singer/musician ...but not a good writer/director.

Now this film ...Yes, it does invoke the feel of 70s horror. Yes, it is savage. Yes, it is no holds barred. Yes, some of the performances with the limited script are good. But is that really enough to make it any good? You don't really care who lives or dies, so there is no tension hence no horror. The closest we get to being truly scared is when Moseley and Mrs Zombie take a family hostage, but they are despatched of so fast it hardly seems like there was any point.
Plus it really goes no where with it's characters making the road-movie element of it pretty useless too. It feels like we are supposed to be cheering on the villians (in one scene the cop chasing them takes some brutal revenge on the killers where we are obviously supposed root for the killers survival as they become the stalked) but we don't enjoy their company enough to enjoy the ride.

Empire once said (think it was in review to Zombie's Halloween remake) that old Rob doesn't care about the victims ...which is spot on and is also why his horror efforts so far have had lots of brutality, but no actually horror. Remember, Leaterface was more scary cos we wanted the kids to get the hell out of there away from him!

Post #: 17
Worst Film I Have Ever Seen!!! - 16/8/2008 1:26:31 AM   
oOMan On FireOo

Looking through and seeing some of the people's review's go up to 4 STARS NEVER MIND 5 STARS (YOU HAVE NO TASTE!!!) is unbelieveable. This film has nothing to do with horror, it wasn't funny scary in anyway. 70's?? Because he throws a few good 70's songs in there doesn't make it a good film!! Rob Zombie, the man who made Halloween the re-make worse than anybody thought he could, the man that has no idea about anything! Bought his first album, the only bit of the album that was good and creepy was the girl "and out of the darkness the zombie did call, true pain and suffering he brought to them all" etc etc blah blah.....this film i wouldnt recormend. Not even for gore fans, it wasn't gorey at all. Rob.......leave everything alone!! keep to the devil and stuff like that....he's your friend??!! And i'll stick to watching REAL icons of horror EG. (David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, David Lynch etc) If i had the option of giving this film a turkey (NO STARS) i would!!

Post #: 18
A Great, Exeptional Horror Film - 9/8/2009 4:04:03 AM   
SlasherHorrorFan

I found this film fantastic. It is so great and I find it also an execptional horror film for fans. It has a great cast including the classic horror icon actor who played Chop-Top, in the classic; The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2. It has a gresat storyline and Captain Spaulding makes the movie a bit terrifying. It has great acting and is easilt filled with great compelling discussions and scenes. The ending did'nt really pleaqse me but the rest is great and JUST got the 5 stars I gave it. Nearly a 4. "Tutti Fuckin' Frutti"...

Post #: 19
Well..... - 10/1/2010 3:28:52 AM   
darkraven28

Clearly Mr. Straker was inspired by films like I Spit On Your Grave and the original TCM. But he ultimately made a film that was better than most if not all of those exploitation movies from back in the 70s. And you know this to be true. It's just kind of strange and sad that Zombie is doing Halloween movies now. He must love that he's allowed to write and direct forever, but I still don't think he's right for Halloween at all.

Post #: 20
Drivel, But At Least It's Mildly Enjoyable Drivel - 2/2/2011 3:22:15 AM   
blaud

Dramatic improvement over it's pancracker predecessor, largely in the enjoyability factor. As a throwback to schlocky revenge pics, it could do much worse, so that's a definite plus. William Forsythe's performance as the sheriff is also a brilliant turn, as is Bill Moseley's beard. The story, however, still leaves a lot to be desired, as it is as incohearant as the first, and every bit as ignorant.Rob Zombie's worrying fetish for violence is on perfect display here too, so if you're a fan of trashy, expletive-ridden dialogue, (mostly) slapdash performances, silly scenarios, grotesque violence, and great music, check this out.

Post #: 21
wtf? - 24/9/2012 10:16:39 AM   
davidkie

your review sucked...what a stupid appraisal of a dynamic and innovating fkick. Up yours dweeb.

Post #: 22
wtf? - 24/9/2012 10:16:40 AM   
davidkie

your review sucked...what a stupid appraisal of a dynamic and innovating fkick. Up yours dweeb.

Post #: 23
RE: Pure Violence - 24/9/2012 10:18:41 AM   
davidkie

stop being such a dick...

(in reply to blaud)
Post #: 24
EMPIRE - WHAT the FUCK? Stop writing SHITTY reviews! - 30/11/2012 12:34:23 AM   
YouWillBeUnprepared

Fantastic film. Zombie once again creates another tension-ridden film that's just marvelous, especially if you can't necessarily be up to the challenge of dissolving nonsensical and distracting character development. Instead, it focuses on the guilty pleasures of great carnage films of the past, which is what this is. Bill Mosely was fantastic as the over-evolved hillbilly 'Otis'. Sheri-Moon thank-fully dropped her silly little squeaky girl act, and overall, a sensibly crafted horror which beats the first one in so many ways.

< Message edited by YouWillBeUnprepared -- 30/11/2012 12:35:28 AM >

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Devil's Rejects Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI