Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 5/6/2012 1:29:37 PM   
hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Slightly dissapointing episode, but it was always going to be after that masterpiece.

Some things annoyed me:

-I'm not sure how news of Tyrion coming to the resuce got past Tywin etc. and why he has nwo lost his title and power etc. I guess he annoyed one too many powerful people.

Tyrion was only hand in Tywin's absence, once the father was in King's Landing, he assumed the position. As for Tyrion's success in battle, it was routed within the forces, the dramatic joining of Lannister and Tyrell at the last minute was always going to eclipse his actions, especially as they made it to the thrown room and effectively ran the glory leg. Also, I doubt anyone is really ignorant of Joffrey's cowardice, but in light of the victory everyone's pretending it never happened.

quote:

-I was a bit confused about the whole Jon Snow fight sequence. I was sure he and the other chap were going to try and escape by pretending to fight one another but then...the other guy was killed by Jon. Bit lost there.  Did he just hate Jon for letting the girl escape? Was the other guy letting Jon prove himself to the tribe?

Yep. It was the only way he could ingratiate himself with the Wildlings. the half hand understood this and knew that he had to sacrifice himself or they both would die, leaving no one to carry any warning.

quote:

And why suddenly is it a good idea to ditch Sansa as queen?? Why not before?

An alliance with Tyrell's via Margery is a much more attractive prospect at this point. Sansa was little more than a glorified hostage anyway, the betrothal probably lent some legitimacy to her being kept in Kings Landing, but her changes of actually becoming queen have been slimming for the minute Ned's head rolled. You could see the doubts in her queenship forming in Cersi's mind last week when she started to say things like 'If you become Queen', rather than 'When you become Queen'.

< Message edited by hubu_phonk -- 5/6/2012 1:30:02 PM >

Straight in, no kissing

http://www.last.fm/user/hubuphonk

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 1591
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 5/6/2012 2:38:26 PM   
st3veebee

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Slightly dissapointing episode, but it was always going to be after that masterpiece.

Some things annoyed me:

-I'm not sure how news of Tyrion coming to the resuce got past Tywin etc. and why he has nwo lost his title and power etc. I guess he annoyed one too many powerful people.

Tyrion was only hand in Tywin's absence, once the father was in King's Landing, he assumed the position. As for Tyrion's success in battle, it was routed within the forces, the dramatic joining of Lannister and Tyrell at the last minute was always going to eclipse his actions, especially as they made it to the thrown room and effectively ran the glory leg. Also, I doubt anyone is really ignorant of Joffrey's cowardice, but in light of the victory everyone's pretending it never happened.

quote:

-I was a bit confused about the whole Jon Snow fight sequence. I was sure he and the other chap were going to try and escape by pretending to fight one another but then...the other guy was killed by Jon. Bit lost there.  Did he just hate Jon for letting the girl escape? Was the other guy letting Jon prove himself to the tribe?

Yep. It was the only way he could ingratiate himself with the Wildlings. the half hand understood this and knew that he had to sacrifice himself or they both would die, leaving no one to carry any warning.

quote:

And why suddenly is it a good idea to ditch Sansa as queen?? Why not before?

An alliance with Tyrell's via Margery is a much more attractive prospect at this point. Sansa was little more than a glorified hostage anyway, the betrothal probably lent some legitimacy to her being kept in Kings Landing, but her changes of actually becoming queen have been slimming for the minute Ned's head rolled. You could see the doubts in her queenship forming in Cersi's mind last week when she started to say things like 'If you become Queen', rather than 'When you become Queen'.

Cheers hubu. Summed things nicely up!

Speaking of Tyrell I thought Margaerys bosom looked awesome last night.

That is all.

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to hubu_phonk)
Post #: 1592
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 5/6/2012 8:41:02 PM   
losthighway

After the immense first season I have to honest i've found S2 a bit of slog at times. Far too many characters, too many storylines started and then dropped for an episode or two, no real tension, a battle in episode 9 that felt like something out of LOTR and then finally the storyline I really wanna see... Kalesi and her dragons getting about 10mins of screentime towards the very end. Oh and the zombie army was interesting but i'm confused as to what they are exactly!? Wildlings? I thought the ones that had kidnapped the bastard Stark were the Wildlings?

All very confusing much of the time and the entire season has felt very disjointed and like a 10hr set up for S3 which I imagine will be amazing. I'm still a GOT fan but i can't help feeling S2 should have been sooo much better.

< Message edited by losthighway -- 5/6/2012 8:42:49 PM >

The secret to becoming a star is knowing how to behave like one.

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 1593
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 5/6/2012 9:00:41 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: losthighway

After the immense first season I have to honest i've found S2 a bit of slog at times. Far too many characters, too many storylines started and then dropped for an episode or two, no real tension, a battle in episode 9 that felt like something out of LOTR and then finally the storyline I really wanna see... Kalesi and her dragons getting about 10mins of screentime towards the very end. Oh and the zombie army was interesting but i'm confused as to what they are exactly!? Wildlings? I thought the ones that had kidnapped the bastard Stark were the Wildlings?

All very confusing much of the time and the entire season has felt very disjointed and like a 10hr set up for S3 which I imagine will be amazing. I'm still a GOT fan but i can't help feeling S2 should have been sooo much better.

They are the others/white walkers who appeared in the opening scene of the very first episode, the wights/zombies are humans killed by them. The others are a powerful race that inhabit the outer reaches of the land beyond the wall who haven't been seen for thousands of years, expect not nice things with them on the way.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to losthighway)
Post #: 1594
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 12:11:02 PM   
The Hooded Man

I am somewhat disappointed by the second season. It felt confusing on the whole and was a bit all over the place with far too many characters for only 10 episodes. Plus the fact that Jofrey's cowardice in battle appears to have no repercussions is annoying. Too many horrible characters are allowed to thrive while the more likable ones seem to have misery upon misery foisted upon them. I'm not saying that it should be all sunshine, but there's next to no pay off for the audience and some of the more interesting characters like Kalesi were barely in it at all.

Counting the minutes until the over zealous mods lock this thread too.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 1595
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 12:39:41 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Hooded Man

I am somewhat disappointed by the second season. It felt confusing on the whole and was a bit all over the place with far too many characters for only 10 episodes. Plus the fact that Jofrey's cowardice in battle appears to have no repercussions is annoying. Too many horrible characters are allowed to thrive while the more likable ones seem to have misery upon misery foisted upon them. I'm not saying that it should be all sunshine, but there's next to no pay off for the audience and some of the more interesting characters like Kalesi were barely in it at all.

I found her parts to be the least interesting. Up until the last 2 episodes I just didn't give a shit what was going on with her and just wanted to get back to the action elsewhere. However, that may be down to the writers giving her shag all screen time in comparison to the others.

I really liked it overall. The ending was fine. Wasn't it the same at the end of season one where they just set up the next season? I'm ok with that.
My only real boggle was the same as some others here in wondering who burned down Winterfell. It just didn't make sense to me but maybe they'll clear that up next season.

I do think they should give it a few more episodes though, even 12 episodes would be good. Do the books not get bigger as they go along? Going to be hard to fit it all into 10 episodes in future seasons.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to The Hooded Man)
Post #: 1596
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 12:44:40 PM   
jcthefirst

I think I read that they will be doing what the third book (A Storn of Swords) did for it's paperback edition, ie. be split in half.

10 episodes for Book Three Part 1(Steel and Snow) and 10 for Part Two (Blood and Gold).

Could be wrong though.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1597
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 12:46:07 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

I found her parts to be the least interesting. Up until the last 2 episodes I just didn't give a shit what was going on with her and just wanted to get back to the action elsewhere. However, that may be down to the writers giving her shag all screen time in comparison to the others.

I really liked it overall. The ending was fine. Wasn't it the same at the end of season one where they just set up the next season? I'm ok with that.
My only real boggle was the same as some others here in wondering who burned down Winterfell. It just didn't make sense to me but maybe they'll clear that up next season.

I do think they should give it a few more episodes though, even 12 episodes would be good. Do the books not get bigger as they go along? Going to be hard to fit it all into 10 episodes in future seasons.

They do indeed. Next season is going to be half of the next book and then after that things are apparently going to be very fluid in that they will adapt the overall story rather than one book = one season. Also the way books four and five work they will have to almost mash them together. Ultimately I think that will help the show as the next three books could conceivably last 5 or more seasons.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1598
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 1:05:39 PM   
talpacino

Well that's good news. I just hope the main audience don't lose interest, causing the ratings to drop and it getting cancelled before it finishes out.

Sorry, that sounded a bit negative. That won't happen, right?

< Message edited by talpacino -- 7/6/2012 1:06:05 PM >

Currahee!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 1599
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 1:10:25 PM   
jcthefirst

Don't think so; were the ratings not up on the last series?

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1600
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 1:14:11 PM   
talpacino

I just think with a show like this, the more casual viewers will drop off after a few seasons. I just hope the majority of current viewers are actually the big, proper fans and stick with it right through. I'd be gutted if I didn't get to see it finished.

Currahee!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 1601
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 1:26:46 PM   
Rob

Ratings were definitely up on last season by quite some way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_(TV_series)#Ratings

The irony is that the best episode got the least viewers (Memorial Day weekend). HBO have said they are determined to see it through and the producers have also reaffirmed their commitment. The one note of caution would be that whilst still hugely positive season 2 attracted a lot more criticism than season one.

Given the way the books play out - no spoilers so don't worry - even more locations and characters are introduced meaning that the the most often heard criticism, too many characters etc, is potentially only going to get worse.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1602
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 1:44:12 PM   
superdan

It's not really that there are too many characters as such, it's just that there's so little time given to each of them within the constraints of a 10 episode season. The seasons either need to be lengthened (which may lead to filler but I'd rather have that than the occasionally bewildering parade of characters given a few minutes screen time each episode), or just chop some characters out completely, which would obviously affect the story.

Overall I quite enjoyed this season, on occasion more than S1, but it really sagged at times under the weight of story. Certain characters who were important in S1 were barely more than bit-part players, virtually cameos, and when I think back over it there's only a couple of characters who actually did much (Tyrion, Arya etc.).

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 1603
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 1:53:46 PM   
Rob

Hopefully the "new approach" will eradicate that and characters will be allowed to develop a bit more.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 1604
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 3:19:23 PM   
borstal

So what happened with the Hound helping Joffreys bint to escape?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 1605
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 3:21:34 PM   
Rob

She basically decided to stay put. Tempting offer though it was I'm not convinced I'd have gone with him!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 1606
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 7/6/2012 3:32:39 PM   
talpacino

She seemed to agree to go with him or at least she was following him out the door suggesting it but then she's still at King's landing for the celebrations. Seemed a bit odd. Things could get even nastier for her now that she's "free" from Joffrey, she should have gone. She's been a lot better in this season, annoyed me a lot in season 1.

Currahee!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 1607
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 9/6/2012 2:51:42 PM   
Base

Casting news for season 3

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1608
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 9/6/2012 4:47:06 PM   
jcthefirst

Any NI folks, put your deets on extrasni.com if you fancy some extras work.

If they considered me, a weedy guy with a pitiful beard, last year, y'all have every chance.

@Jonny_C85

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 1609
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 9/6/2012 11:26:32 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

If they considered me, a weedy guy with a pitiful beard, last year, y'all have every chance.

I wish they'd open that up to people who aren't from NI. I'd happily put myself up in a Travelodge if it meant getting some extras work.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 1610
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 9/6/2012 11:32:27 PM   
Vadersville

I really enjoyed the finale although as others have said like Season 1, Episode 9 is really the finale and Episode 10 is an epilogue setting up the next season.

Khal Drogo! Oh, how I miss his character.

An army of white-walkers! WTF!

But seriously, how the hell did Stannis get back to his island so quickly?! Heck, didn't we even see him dragged off as a prisoner last week??? And who burned Winterfell? Where did the 500 Stark men go? Are all Winterfell's people deaded then??? Find out next week! Oh wit, no, next year...

DAMN.

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 9/6/2012 11:41:02 PM >

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 1611
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 9/6/2012 11:43:09 PM   
Deviation

I don't really have a problem with Stannis going so fast back to his island. I always got the impression the series jumped a few days between one episode to another.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 1612
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 9/6/2012 11:50:40 PM   
Vadersville

Well yeah, the series obviously doesn't happen in real time (sometimes there's a gap of a few weeks between episodes in story time I'm sure) but bare in mind it took him half a season to get to King's Landing in the first place and it's a bit of a speedy getaway, especially considering he supposedly had no means of escape last week....

< Message edited by Vadersville -- 9/6/2012 11:53:27 PM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 1613
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 9/6/2012 11:54:52 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

I wish they'd open that up to people who aren't from NI. I'd happily put myself up in a Travelodge if it meant getting some extras work.

It's all online now, no in person auditions, so maybe you could still sign up.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 1614
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 10/6/2012 12:20:06 AM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

But seriously, how the hell did Stannis get back to his island so quickly?! Heck, didn't we even see him dragged off as a prisoner last week???

I think he was dragged off by his own man when they realised they were going to lose the battle.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 1615
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 10/6/2012 12:27:57 AM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: doubtlesswonder

quote:

It's all online now, no in person auditions, so maybe you could still sign up.

Is it really? Where??

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 1616
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 10/6/2012 1:58:10 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

Well yeah, the series obviously doesn't happen in real time (sometimes there's a gap of a few weeks between episodes in story time I'm sure) but bare in mind it took him half a season to get to King's Landing in the first place and it's a bit of a speedy getaway, especially considering he supposedly had no means of escape last week....

I've only seen it once but I think he was being escorted away by his soldiers and not captured by the Lannister forces. I'm not sure.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 10/6/2012 2:02:38 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 1617
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 10/6/2012 2:12:46 AM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

quote:

some of the more interesting characters like Kalesi were barely in it at all.

I found her parts to be the least interesting.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 1618
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 10/6/2012 10:22:17 AM   
Vadersville

Also as cool, freaky and bad-arse as it was for Jaqen H'ghar to change hhis face I'm a little gutted as that actor was epic in the role.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 1619
RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO - 10/6/2012 11:53:03 AM   
galvatron

Dragonstone isn't that far away from King's Landing so it wouldn't take that long to get there by boat, especially with good winds.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1620
Page:   <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: George R.R. Martins Game of Thrones - HBO Page: <<   < prev  52 53 [54] 55 56   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI