Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

WATERWORLD

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> WATERWORLD Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WATERWORLD - 1/3/2012 6:44:07 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I tried to watch The Postman once. It bored me. Anyway, f**k all that. WATERWORLD is Awesome Fun! Great Memories of watching it on the big-screen back in Summer '95.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to King of Kafiristan)
Post #: 61
RE: Waterworld - 1/3/2012 6:47:17 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

ORIGINAL: NadaPlissken

If you watch Costner on Inside The Actor's Studio, he does speak quite fondly of it. For better or worse, the film was a milestone and deserves recognition for the fact. Its appeal to me is basically that I'd rather watch an ambitious failure than a competent run-of-the-mill affair, which is the same reason I also quite like The Postman.

Either way, King of Kafiristan, that was a superb post!

Cheers! I'm definitely unashamed to champion WATERWORLD: it is one of the last great practically shot epics. The scale of the production is truly awe inspiring, and I love the world they created. I'm rather fond of THE POSTMAN too, though I have to say it can't hold a candle to the book, which is one of my favorite novels of all time.

PS Kevin Costner is an extremely talented director, and it's a shame he's not been given more of an opportunity to flex those skills in the wake of OPEN RANGE - a film I consider to be one of the finest westerns of all time.

I concur with nadaplissken, you made a great post and it's refreshing to hear some real passion for this movie, there aren't many of us fans here!

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

Post #: 62
RE: Waterworld - 1/3/2012 6:56:30 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: King of Kafiristan

quote:

If you watch Costner on Inside The Actor's Studio, he does speak quite fondly of it. For better or worse, the film was a milestone and deserves recognition for the fact. Its appeal to me is basically that I'd rather watch an ambitious failure than a competent run-of-the-mill affair, which is the same reason I also quite like The Postman.

Either way, King of Kafiristan, that was a superb post!

Cheers! I'm definitely unashamed to champion WATERWORLD: it is one of the last great practically shot epics. The scale of the production is truly awe inspiring, and I love the world they created. I'm rather fond of THE POSTMAN too, though I have to say it can't hold a candle to the book, which is one of my favorite novels of all time.

PS Kevin Costner is an extremely talented director, and it's a shame he's not been given more of an opportunity to flex those skills in the wake of OPEN RANGE - a film I consider to be one of the finest westerns of all time.

I concur with nadaplissken, you made a great post and it's refreshing to hear some real passion for this movie, there aren't many of us fans here!

I dunno, we've reached three pages of love so far

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 63
RE: Waterworld - 1/3/2012 7:05:13 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

next up, mammoth threads!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 64
RE: Waterworld - 1/3/2012 9:21:21 PM   
NadaPlissken

Check out this display of true Waterworld devotion - I would definitely buy one!

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal9/8301-8400/gal8313-Trimaran-Fink/00.shtm

Ross Kemp invented Spain.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 65
RE: Waterworld - 1/3/2012 9:45:25 PM   
King of Kafiristan

quote:

Check out this display of true Waterworld devotion - I would definitely buy one!

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal9/8301-8400/gal8313-Trimaran-Fink/00.shtm

Very nifty... BTW: Did you know someone spotted the real trimaran on google earth? (CLICK)

PS I've updated my sig

< Message edited by King of Kafiristan -- 1/3/2012 9:46:33 PM >

(in reply to NadaPlissken)
Post #: 66
WATERWORLD - 2/3/2012 7:16:26 PM   
Snake-Eyes

I saw the real trimaran at Universal Studios Orlando back in 2000.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 67
RE: WATERWORLD - 2/3/2012 7:59:57 PM   
NadaPlissken

There were two built, apparently, one with a collapsible boom and windmill used in the transforming shots (which is the one at Universal Studios I think), and another used for the long shots. There's a video of the second one on Youtube somewhere; it's privately owned and looks, I'm sad to say, "normal". Why you would redecorate such a cool looking vehicle is beyond me.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 68
RE: WATERWORLD - 23/4/2012 11:12:33 AM   
NadaPlissken

Well, some would call me crazy, but I just acquired the 3 hour cut of this classic. The backstory of the world in general gets fleshed out a lot more by the "trial" scene of Costner and additional scenes on the atoll. Also there are some really interesting additions with Hopper; he's painted more like a deluded religious fundamentalist (fitting to his name), calling evolution "blasphemy" etc. Obviously, you can see why the studio chopped those bits out. A few of the plot holes get plastered up...a bit.

On the downside, seeing these parts also emphasizes the sprawling masterpiece the film COULD have been and all the missed opportunities. But IMO any extra footage of Waterworld is as valuable as a full cup of hydro. Well worth bartering a full jar of dirt for

Post #: 69
RE: WATERWORLD - 23/4/2012 3:52:45 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

Well, some would call me crazy, but I just acquired the 3 hour cut of this classic. The backstory of the world in general gets fleshed out a lot more by the "trial" scene of Costner and additional scenes on the atoll. Also there are some really interesting additions with Hopper; he's painted more like a deluded religious fundamentalist (fitting to his name), calling evolution "blasphemy" etc. Obviously, you can see why the studio chopped those bits out. A few of the plot holes get plastered up...a bit.

On the downside, seeing these parts also emphasizes the sprawling masterpiece the film COULD have been and all the missed opportunities. But IMO any extra footage of Waterworld is as valuable as a full cup of hydro. Well worth bartering a full jar of dirt for

I had no idea there even was a 3 hour cut of this, do any of the versions come with a Costner commentary?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 70
RE: WATERWORLD - 23/4/2012 5:01:29 PM   
NadaPlissken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

I had no idea there even was a 3 hour cut of this, do any of the versions come with a Costner commentary?

The original 3 hour cut was shown once on the Sci Fi channel in the US, I think, and is known as the "Ulysses Cut". However, despite adding deleted scenes, overall they'd bastardized it by removing a lot of language and violence, and apparently the infamous piss filter scene as well.

The version I saw originated from fanedit.info, which is the "Ulysses Cut" with the stuff SF deleted restored. So, it's completely unofficial. There was a bit of excitement when the remastered DVD was announced the other year, but that turned out to be the same old theatrical cut with only the trailer as an extra! Utter BS

I continue to hope for a proper re-release with a Reynolds / Costner commentary. A film with such a tortured production deserves as much. As they are working together again on Hatfields & McCoys, we can only keep our fingers crossed.

Nothing's free in Waterworld!

< Message edited by NadaPlissken -- 23/4/2012 5:02:42 PM >

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 71
RE: WATERWORLD - 23/4/2012 6:53:15 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

One of my alltime favourites. Will be picking up the German steelbook soon

Post #: 72
RE: WATERWORLD - 25/4/2012 4:40:10 PM   
Timon

So is the Extended Cut that you can get on R1 DVD the same as the Ulysses Cut (which was shown on ABC in 1998) ?

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=94

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 73
RE: WATERWORLD - 26/4/2012 10:26:40 AM   
NadaPlissken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

So is the Extended Cut that you can get on R1 DVD the same as the Ulysses Cut (which was shown on ABC in 1998) ?

http://dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=94

Apparently the 3 hour version released was the TV edit with less violence and urine-distilling. I think there's about a minute of cut footage overall

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 74
RE: WATERWORLD - 26/4/2012 11:40:29 AM   
Nexus Wookie

I very much doubt Universal will release a special edition blu ray /DVD of Waterworld, which is a shame really becasue it is one of the best 90's sci-fi action romp's ever!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> WATERWORLD Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI