Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Waterworld

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Waterworld Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Waterworld - 12/1/2007 1:18:03 PM   
Timon

"Dry land is not a myth! I have seen it"

......is not actually said in the whole movie. How odd.

Universally regarded as a flop despite making £225 million worldwide, Waterworld is one of those films that people tend to dismiss out of hand due to its reputation.

Yes, it was expensive (175 million)

Yes, Kevin Reynolds and Costner fell out over it on set.

Yes, it's basically Mad Max 2 on water

But damm, it's fun.

A few months ago, the extended director's cut was shown on the Sci Fi Channel and from all acounts it was very good although i have no idea what was added. If this is the case, surely it can't be long til we get a Special Edition DVD on the film. Maybe with a Reynolds/Costner commentary? They did patch things up to do one for Prince Of Thieves.

< Message edited by Timon -- 3/6/2009 11:09:57 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Waterworld - 12/1/2007 8:44:44 PM   
bozo

Peculiar film. When I watch it, I can't believe how lame it is. A week later and I'm only left with fond memories of it. Go figure.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Waterworld - 13/1/2007 7:08:18 PM   
Axel Foley

I'd have said it was more a combination of Max 2 and 3, as Costner goes from being a world weary, aggressive, taciturn traveller into a child protecting hero.

Totally agree that it is better than it's reputation might suggest. The budget doesn't really show to be honest (compare it to something of similar cost like Titanic and it is nowhere near so spectacular), but it's good fun and it dealt with the idea of melting ice caps, before climate change had become such a modern bug bear.

Love some of the ideas too. Like using the Exxon Valdez as the bad guys base. And Dennis Hopper as ever makes for a charismatic nutjob.

I had no idea there was an extended cut about. Prince of Thieves I'd always liked, but the Rickman additions were well worth catching, so if there's any additional materail as good for Waterworld I'd love to see it.

Wonder what became of Reynolds. Last I saw of him was interviewing Ridley Scott on the Duellists DVD. I really liked his take on the Count of Monte Cristo and 187 was also a pretty decent film. He's a better director than a lot of the idiots out there at the moment.

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: Waterworld - 13/1/2007 10:02:37 PM   
Timon

He also did Tristan and Isolde last year which I thought was unfairly bashed. It was great fun for what it was.

Listened to the Costner/Reynolds commentary the other day on the Prince of Thieves DVD and as the two have clealy patched things up they should bring out a Waterworld SE.

The commentary is a good listen and i recommend it. Also enjoyed Reynold's Count of Monte Cristo. Let's face it, he's not the most challenging director in terms of films seriousness but they're great fun.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 4
RE: Waterworld - 14/1/2007 4:29:30 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I love Waterworld. Easy-going escapist entertainment. Good fun all round.  

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 5
RE: Waterworld - 14/1/2007 7:04:26 PM   
Axel Foley

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

He also did Tristan and Isolde last year which I thought was unfairly bashed. It was great fun for what it was.

Given I enjoy all the above mentioned films, do you reckon it's worth a look then? As you say he's not exactly tackling major issues, but for good Sunday afternoon fun, don't think you can go wrong. There's a kind of glow to the flicks that leaves me in good mood, and sometimes that's what you want from a film.

If they are getting on now, I hope they do another film together. Costner's regained his credibility post Thirteen days and Open Range, so I'd love to see him in another swashbuckler

https://twitter.com/Obiwan_desouza

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 6
RE: Waterworld - 14/1/2007 9:10:00 PM   
BobaJango

Sorry but this film was just too lame for me. I'm not a big fan of Costner anyway, so that didn't help.

"Don't worry. Won't insult legendary underworld solidarity by suggesting you surrender name without torture". - Rorschach (Watchmen).

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 7
RE: Waterworld - 15/1/2007 10:38:58 AM   
Lydia_H

I rate Reynolds too, he directed the severely underrated 'The Beast' which was a superb film, one of my favourites from the 80's. Waterworld wasn't the worst film I'd ever seen, I'd say there have been suckier big budget efforts, like the Star War prequels

I'm hot like Pol Pot. Squeeze me.

(in reply to BobaJango)
Post #: 8
RE: Waterworld - 15/1/2007 10:43:34 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Axel Foley

quote:

Given I enjoy all the above mentioned films, do you reckon it's worth a look then? As you say he's not exactly tackling major issues, but for good Sunday afternoon fun, don't think you can go wrong. There's a kind of glow to the flicks that leaves me in good mood, and sometimes that's what you want from a film.

If they are getting on now, I hope they do another film together. Costner's regained his credibility post Thirteen days and Open Range, so I'd love to see him in another swashbuckler

Yeah, if I were you, i'd give Tristan and Isolde and look. It's a decent enough film, very pretty to look at and there are worse ways to spend a Sunday afternoon. If I remember correctly, when reviewing it for the uni paper I gave it 3/5. If you find the thread for it in Readers Reviews, i'm pretty sure my review will be there.

(in reply to Axel Foley)
Post #: 9
RE: Waterworld - 18/1/2007 11:09:33 AM   
dj vivace

Tristan and Isolde was a great film, as for Waterworld i can sort of understand all the shit reviews it got because it certainly wasnt worth the money they spent on it, however, its not that shit. I personally can quite easily put it on if i've got an afternoon to waste, its easy, simple, light entertainment

you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!

See more of my reviews here under the name Matt Wavish :
Horror Cult Film Reviews

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 10
RE: Waterworld - 18/1/2007 10:52:15 PM   
Fivefur

Waterworld for me was eagerly awaited - Costner's gate they shouted, $175M they shouted. Kevster fan that I am, i thought he would prove them all wrong.

Nearly.

Sure the budget aint all on the screen (bungee jump anyone?????????) that musta cost all of a fiver.

Up to the point the Mariner leaves the Atol all was going well, actually very well, good build up and GREAT action to escape the really dodgy Hopper (why on earth did he get to play it like that with Kev bein all serious?). It just grates all the way through - "maybe he doesn't answer to Chuck - call him Charles!!!!!!!!!". Somebody actually got paid to write that shit. FFS

Then it slowly fades only to build to the Exon V kill the baddie excellent blow up another $20M (in an LA car park) end of film good guy wins ending. Should've ended there.

As I said...............nearly!

4 stars for effort (and cos I still like the Kevster!) which is what Empire awarded as well if memory serves. Kev swum well - anyone?

Satipo: Let us hurry. There is nothing to fear here.
Indiana: That's what scares me.

(in reply to dj vivace)
Post #: 11
RE: Waterworld - 18/1/2007 11:00:06 PM   
Fivefur

Sorry should've added that RH PoT was just really really good fun. Kev doin his stunt man thingy thing and that flamin arrow shot - WOW. Star turn went to Friar Tuck - dude who used to do that Channel 4 make it up on the hoof prog......Anneeeeeeewaaaayyyy!

but when it gets to it Open Range may just now be (for me) nudging its way past Dances

Respect Kev. You do it your way man and am really looking forward to "Mr Brooks" 

(in reply to Fivefur)
Post #: 12
RE: Waterworld - 19/1/2007 4:40:59 PM   
nebula

Personally I think the movie itself is really actually pretty good, I think it's exciting it has action, adventure, danger, (however camp it seem's Forgive me Hopper..lol..) costner in some tight shredded leather outfit and romance<<granted it seemed as the S&M kind with costners fish man (lets call him gill, yeah bad joke..hehe) roughing her up every second he got, sheesh that relationship wasnt for the faint hearted

But all in all, it was entertaining and doesnt deserve the tag "crappest movie of all time".....I say F*CK THE CRITICS, WHAT DO THEY KNOW? (Nebula looks around suspiciously for the empire team and then grabs her bullet proof vest and makes a run for cover)

< Message edited by nebula -- 19/1/2007 4:41:24 PM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: Waterworld - 19/1/2007 10:10:16 PM   
Fivefur

quote:

ORIGINAL: nebula

Personally I think the movie itself is really actually pretty good, I think it's exciting it has action, adventure, danger, (however camp it seem's Forgive me Hopper..lol..) costner in some tight shredded leather outfit and romance<<granted it seemed as the S&M kind with costners fish man (lets call him gill, yeah bad joke..hehe) roughing her up every second he got, sheesh that relationship wasnt for the faint hearted

But all in all, it was entertaining and doesnt deserve the tag "crappest movie of all time".....I say F*CK THE CRITICS, WHAT DO THEY KNOW? (Nebula looks around suspiciously for the empire team and then grabs her bullet proof vest and makes a run for cover)

Hey Neb

No need for you to dive for cover babes. you got it about right (Hopper camps it up like poo) and the Kevster gives it large like FUCK U all the way thru (drop her just DROP HER), Critics dont know shit hun, ever, $250M worldwide in nineteen canteen must translate to $400M + today at LEAST. So Kev swum well to quote Empire and a reasonably sexy 4 stars

Suck on that you Kev bashers!

(in reply to nebula)
Post #: 14
RE: Waterworld Extended Coming Soon! - 30/8/2008 9:37:59 AM   
Timon

quote:

A few months ago, the extended director's cut was shown on the Sci Fi Channel and from all acounts it was very good although i have no idea what was added. If this is the case, surely it can't be long til we get a Special Edition DVD on the film. Maybe with a Reynolds/Costner commentary? They did patch things up to do one for Prince Of Thieves.

BOOYAH!

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/waterworld.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Waterworld Extended Coming Soon! - 1/9/2008 4:15:26 PM   
Snake Plissken 3417

I rather enjoyed Waterworld on its first day at UCI Tower Park Screen 5 presented in dts and boy was I there with the sound mix the sound of the breezy blowing gently around me, was soon interrupted by…

SMOKERS!!!!

LOL I’d give Waterwold 8 /10.

“Call me snake.”

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: Waterworld Extended Coming Soon! - 1/9/2008 8:16:48 PM   
Dr Lenera

That's great news about the release of the extended version, I used to have it [on video with adverts as it was taped off the SciFi Channel]   but a couple of months ago I went to watch it again and the player swallowed and chewed up the tape!   From what I remember there are no great revelations in this version  [though there's a lovely touch right at the end which I won't go into!], it's mainly added details and dialogue [the scene with the three of them on the boat goes on for ages!] but it's a much more rounded film in my view.

In either version Waterworld is a much underrated film!   I generally dis;like Costner as an actor as I think he's usually very wooden but I really like his grouchy, none-too-sympathetic 'hero' in this film.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Snake Plissken 3417)
Post #: 17
RE: Waterworld Extended Coming Soon! - 2/9/2008 5:16:01 PM   
gggolem

Waterworld is awesome. I have loved it since I was a little girl. I have also seen lots of nightmares because of it. An interesting film, I would say.

All men would be cowards if they only had the courage.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 18
RE: Waterworld Extended Coming Soon! - 2/9/2008 5:35:16 PM   
somekindof_battery

I watch this film every time it's on tv. I have a soft spot for it but i don't know why. Good stuff.

"I can beat you, I don't need the girl hahah, I DON'T NEED THE GIRL! I don't need the gun John. I can beat you. I DON'T NEED NO GUN! AND I'LL KILL YOU NOW!" - Unknown 17th century poet

(in reply to gggolem)
Post #: 19
RE: Waterworld Extended Coming Soon! - 3/9/2008 12:11:15 PM   
DazDaMan

Brilliant, big-time action flick.  Really need to have this on DVD!

You fucking fuckers are gonna do what I say or I'm going to stick my foot so far up your assholes you'll rue the day you crawled out of your mother's twat!

(in reply to somekindof_battery)
Post #: 20
RE: Waterworld - 3/9/2008 3:09:36 PM   
Zaphod121

Sorry but this movie is god awful, yes the concept is awesome and the huge budget really shows, but IMO other than it really has nothing going for it.

(in reply to DazDaMan)
Post #: 21
RE: Waterworld - 4/9/2008 8:46:09 PM   
bluechew

Its really just a family version of Mad Max - a bit of harmless fun that i bet most of us on here have watched at least a couple of times.Yes it was bad in parts, but there has been far, far, worse.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 22
RE: Waterworld - 5/9/2008 10:42:16 PM   
Timon

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/waterworld.html

Special Edition DVD cover art is up. Nice.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: Waterworld - 5/9/2008 10:46:36 PM   
directorscut

Apparently there's no features on it.  What a crock!

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 24
RE: Waterworld - 6/9/2008 10:07:31 AM   
Timon

So far just a trailer has been announced but what kind of a 2 disc Special Edition wouldn't have any features?!?! I'm just assuming they've yet to be confirmed. Here's hoping for a Costner/Reynold's commentary.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 25
RE: Waterworld - 7/9/2008 1:02:46 AM   
shawshank prisoner

Waterworld is just a massive pile of shit.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 26
RE: Waterworld - 9/1/2009 11:11:08 AM   
Timon

Did anyone get the Extended Waterworld DVD? I hear it ONLY has a trailer on... which is crap.

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 27
RE: Waterworld - 9/1/2009 12:00:22 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I really love this movie, Waterworld has always been one of my faves!! Great action scenes, fantastic production design and a fun time in general. Like the unfairly maligned Cutthroat island, this is one of my favourite mid 90's movies.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
RE: Waterworld - 3/6/2009 11:08:40 AM   
Timon

Anyone ever been to the Waterworld Stunt Show at Universal Studios in LA? It's great fun.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 29
RE: Waterworld - 4/6/2009 6:42:01 AM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

Anyone ever been to the Waterworld Stunt Show at Universal Studios in LA? It's great fun.

I saw that - Excellent!  y'know, somehere on this board, WATERWORLD was compared to TITANIC in terms of budget over-runs. for Snake-Eyes, WATERWORLD is an infinitely more entertaining and re-watchable film (I ain't NEVER watching Titanic again! sorry Cameron, I love your work but HATED this!) I wish the recent two-disc DVD had some actual special features!

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Waterworld Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI