Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Line Vs. Jackson - 11/1/2007 5:42:32 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 11/1/2007 5:42:32 PM   
Masked Dave

This may be an unpopular opinion, but much as I love the Lord of the Rings films (and King Kong come to that), as long as it's a good director who does the Hobbit, I don't really mind who. Especially since a lot of the hard work in designing Middle Earth has been done already.

It might even benefit from a different director's style. The Hobbit is a children's book and I'd like the film to reflect that, the thought of them splitting into two is kind of appalling. I want a pacey, fun and friendly adventure story, the sort of thing that only Pixar seem to do these days.

...oh, now *there's* a thought...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Why? - 11/1/2007 5:46:10 PM   
BlueDragon21120

Just because Jacksons alreayd recieved a huge amout doesn't mean he doesn't deserve the rets of what the films made, off the back of his talents.
The Hobbit doesn't seem likly to be made. I don;t think many directors would wnat their reputation up against LOTR, if it went belly up they'd be paying for it the rest of their career, only Jackson could take it on.

Post #: 3
- 11/1/2007 5:49:39 PM   
boscoduffy

greedy bastard.im a star wars fan true and true. im only recently starting to like the LOTR, because i love sword fight films. but i hate all the melodramtic sequences in the trilogy. plus the man can't make a proper fast paced 2 hour film. granted he was sticking to the books as much as possible ,but with king kong there was no need for the first hour. that could have been done in ten minutes

Post #: 4
RE: - 11/1/2007 5:56:53 PM   
Masked Dave

How am I not surprised that a guy who doesn't seem to understand what captial letters are used for doesn't care about story, background or character.

"God sniffed, Jesus was right, the Holy Ghost did need a bath."

A place of collaborative creative writing, discussion on films, games and TV and an endless supply of forum games. Oh, and one of the nicest communities anywhere on the Interweb. You're a fool *not* to go.

The Complete Tales: It's better than old socks.

(in reply to boscoduffy)
Post #: 5
- 11/1/2007 6:03:40 PM   
CameronJames

To be honest I'm on Shaye's side, Jackson is starting to just look like a greedy cunt. He should care more about making movies than getting rediculous amounts of money for it

Post #: 6
RE: RE: - 11/1/2007 6:22:15 PM   
boscoduffy

Oh I'm sorry Mr. English Teacher how's that for CAPITAL's. I do know what scenary and backround are for. its so there isn't a big black screen to look at and so the film doesn't look cheap. Which lets face it Jackson is. Is he looking for some more money to fit in a home gym in his house which will never be used.

(in reply to Masked Dave)
Post #: 7
getting paid - 11/1/2007 7:31:23 PM   
draney

Lets put the argument this way. If you or I worked a certain number of hours we'd expect to be paid the full amount for them. We wouldnt say "Woah now, thats enough of you paying me, your far too generous!" and if they chose not to pay us the full amount we'd probably say "Fuck you I want my damn money!", well I would anyway. I think its pretty much the same thing but on a bigger scale.

Post #: 8
- 11/1/2007 8:09:51 PM   
CameronJames

Yeah but there's a difference between working set hours and having someone pay you to live out your dream,

Post #: 9
Yep, it's all about the money !! - 11/1/2007 10:39:04 PM   
boredbluekoala

Well that's settled then, after this fairly public cat fight, the chance of seeing what P.J. would have made of the Hobbit is now dead. He can move on with other stuff , and someone else will make it, and before you all get too upset just remember that some really good movies have been made as sequels (or prequels in this case) to films that are held in high regard that were directed by other people, Aliens, the Empire Strikes Back,Terminator 3, and many more that I'm not thinking of, these were great movies that took what had come before and in some regards improved upon. We might come to appreciate a different approach with a fresh set of eyes. At the very least it will be interesting to see which director will be brave enough to take it on. And I wouldn't worry about getting a cast together either, wave enough money around and the talent come running.

Post #: 10
Lord of Greed - 12/1/2007 8:53:22 AM   
olirog

I'm coming round to thinking that New Line is being had by greedy-guts Jackson running on full-blown prima donna steam: he knows we'll all think the studio's the villain…! Pity, a quarter of a billion is no mean amount, and he wouldn't have had a chance to get that if New Line hadn't taken a bloody big risk in the first place.

Post #: 11
Lord of Greed - 12/1/2007 8:54:06 AM   
olirog

I'm coming round to thinking that New Line is being had by greedy-guts Jackson running on full-blown prima donna steam: he knows we'll all think the studio's the villain…! Pity, a quarter of a billion is no mean amount, and he wouldn't have had a chance to get that if New Line hadn't taken a bloody big risk in the first place.

Post #: 12
Give it to Gilliam - 12/1/2007 9:53:33 AM   
griet

Forget Jackson, The Hobbit is a completely different beast from LOTR and needs to be done is a completely different way.
Give it to Terry Gilliam and we'll get a very dark, very funny, very memorable Hobbit
Jackson should move on to The Silmarillion (the real prequel to LOTR)

Post #: 13
RE: New Line Vs. Jackson - 12/1/2007 11:56:15 AM   
Gazdance

Erm...

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=1138084

Post #: 14
RE: New Line Vs. Jackson - 12/1/2007 12:36:25 PM   
Miksterious

What you people dont seem to be realising is the other side of the coin.

Jackson gave an interview to AICN where he absolutely refuted what Shaye has said:

quote:

"Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.

In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this law suit by many years.

Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to it's contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so."   

Now this isnt just about money for Jackson, its money for his company and the people who work in it. New Line have fucked up with this before because the actors revolted due to them being underpaid as well.

Had Jackson not produced the epic brilliance that he did for the trilogy (and I dont think that it was fautless by any stretch of the imagination) he would've been very happy continuing with the films that he was making in the first place. On the other hand, if he hadnt...New Line would be bust and many many people working for New Line would have been made redundant. These films didnt just save New Line for the present, but they have continued to operate because of the tent-pole success that LotR brought them. New Line have made generally shite and unsuccessful films since then. So its only fair that they let Jackson find out whether him and his company deserve not MORE money for them, but the RIGHT amount of money.

Trust me, these comments by Shaye make it MORE likely that PJ will eventually film The Hobbit, not less likely. Just not with New Line.

Why?

Well, all the actors have declined to be in New Line's 40-year anniversary? Then you can bet your house on the fact that they'll decline to be in The Hobbit. So what you're going to get is a quickly knocked out version of a film without the original cast, original director, original special effects team (with something this ugly I cant see them turning against PJ on this one), original sets, original locations etc etc, all shrouded in controversy and full of petitions calling for PJ to do the job. This is now looking like an increasingly expensive and unappetising prospect for anyone to get involved in. I cant see them getting this up and running or even remotely successful (which is has to be if MGM, who have said that they want PJ in the job, agree to distribute it). So they'll either run out of time, or it wont get released and then another company will come in, see a guaranteed billion dollar franchise and pump $100 million in for PJ to film it.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=miksterious

(in reply to Gazdance)
Post #: 15
RE: New Line Vs. Jackson - 12/1/2007 4:34:50 PM   
Anthropos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miksterious

What you people dont seem to be realising is the other side of the coin.

Jackson gave an interview to AICN where he absolutely refuted what Shaye has said:

quote:

"Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.

In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th Anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this law suit by many years.

Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to it's contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so."   

Now this isnt just about money for Jackson, its money for his company and the people who work in it. New Line have fucked up with this before because the actors revolted due to them being underpaid as well.

Had Jackson not produced the epic brilliance that he did for the trilogy (and I dont think that it was fautless by any stretch of the imagination) he would've been very happy continuing with the films that he was making in the first place. On the other hand, if he hadnt...New Line would be bust and many many people working for New Line would have been made redundant. These films didnt just save New Line for the present, but they have continued to operate because of the tent-pole success that LotR brought them. New Line have made generally shite and unsuccessful films since then. So its only fair that they let Jackson find out whether him and his company deserve not MORE money for them, but the RIGHT amount of money.

Trust me, these comments by Shaye make it MORE likely that PJ will eventually film The Hobbit, not less likely. Just not with New Line.

Why?

Well, all the actors have declined to be in New Line's 40-year anniversary? Then you can bet your house on the fact that they'll decline to be in The Hobbit. So what you're going to get is a quickly knocked out version of a film without the original cast, original director, original special effects team (with something this ugly I cant see them turning against PJ on this one), original sets, original locations etc etc, all shrouded in controversy and full of petitions calling for PJ to do the job. This is now looking like an increasingly expensive and unappetising prospect for anyone to get involved in. I cant see them getting this up and running or even remotely successful (which is has to be if MGM, who have said that they want PJ in the job, agree to distribute it). So they'll either run out of time, or it wont get released and then another company will come in, see a guaranteed billion dollar franchise and pump $100 million in for PJ to film it.

I agree. And yes, it's not money for PJ's coffers, its for Weta and the special effects company too. I don't see why Shaye is getting so up his arse about things. Why not do an audit? And so what about the video? He sounds like an arrogant fast buck merchant.

(in reply to Miksterious)
Post #: 16
- 12/1/2007 4:41:33 PM   
silent_dave

Love jackson, or hate him. Noone can really deny that he MADE the LOTR trilogy what it is.
New line need to thank their lucky stars that he made it such a success, and earned them a very handsome amount of money.
I mean, i seriously doubt that ANYONE is greedier than a film production company

Post #: 17
- 13/1/2007 10:57:33 AM   
Nahald

Lets face it. Are ever really going to know who the REAL bad guy is in all of this? have any of us got a Plaintir that can see into the inner workins of PJs mind? Have any of us got a magic Ring that turns us invisible so we can sneak into New Line? No (but if we did, how cool? - well to a certain value of Geeky coolness anyway) thats why we hve court case - to find out who is right and who is wrong. Of course we are all going to think the big, faceless studio is in the wrong, and the chirpy, Hobbity Kiwi is right - but based on what evidence? Its a shame that the Hobbit had to be stopped becasue of something so petty (although I'm sure billions of pounds isn't EXACTLY petty..) but I agree with earlier comments. The Hobbit is an enitrely different Beast to LOTR, LOTR is epic, Hobbit is Episodic. I reckon it would be better as a TV adaptation. And as for the Silmarilion - I'm a die hard Tolkien fan, but it took me a year to read what is essentially a text book, and I can speak Elvish!

Post #: 18
RE: Give it to Gilliam - 13/1/2007 3:32:12 PM   
Smudge

Completley agree.  The Hobbit would be best approached in a much different manner.  It is a different beast than LOTR, much more fantastical and fairy-tale, whereas LOTR is the fully realised matured version.
I've agrued that probably the best strategy would be an all-CGI version not only to set it apart from PJ's world, but to give some of the characters the chance to be truer to the source material.  If so, you need someone who deeply loves Tolkein's world (much as PJ does) to produce it, and leave the direction to someone who could best deliver the movie.
I don't care who's conning who in the New Line farago, they've all made enough cash from it already, both sides come out of it a bit Beckham-esque in my view.

(in reply to griet)
Post #: 19
Who's right and who's wrong? - 13/1/2007 4:34:40 PM   
jonedney

Peter Jackson should make the Hobbit, as it is NOT a completely different universe to LOTR and any necessary changes to the environments they would make. I don't know who is telling the truth within this argument but I hope they can resolve it so the Hobbit can be made the RIGHT WAY!!!!

Post #: 20
All down to the baiscs isn't it? - 15/1/2007 2:34:36 PM   
nybras

Money talks and bullshit walks. Jackson as olirog said "full-blown prima donna" its all down to who gets what first!
Jackson should just walk away, hide for a while and come back with something new, an idea of his own rather!

Post #: 21
- 15/1/2007 9:03:59 PM   
MovieNerd13

I don't think Shaye is telling the whole story. I think New Line is making stuff up and being greedy. I think Peter Jackson did not sue anyone. Peter Jackson should still be allowed to make films with New Line, after all Peter makes some real good movies that make a whole lot of money.

Post #: 22
PJ vs Bob Shaye - 17/1/2007 9:19:56 PM   
Pallando

Regardless as to how much money Peter Jackson has already been given under contract by New Line already, it doesn't mean that if he is owed any more he shouldn't get it. If Bob Shaye is starting to get nasty about this audit, this would suggest to me that he has something to hide. However, I like to keep an open mind so taking it to court is a good way of finding out the truth. Mind you I don't think it would be a good idea to give helming duties of The Hobbit to Terry Gilliam, his fantasy is totally different to that of Tolkien, his is more Neil Gaiman, bring on Good Omens!!!

Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> New Line Vs. Jackson Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI