Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Neil Gaiman - genius?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Neil Gaiman - genius? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Neil Gaiman - genius? - 10/1/2007 9:50:52 PM   
KennyM

Having just finished Anansi Boys, I've decided that Neil Gaiman is borderline genius and better than Pratchett. The soon to be filmed Stardust, the excellent Neverwhere and the absolutely immense American Gods are all fantastic reads. Just thought I'd bring this up. Anyone else a fan?

< Message edited by KennyM -- 13/5/2009 8:22:45 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 10/1/2007 9:59:32 PM   
Funkyrae

Oh dear lord yes!  I've met him and he's incredibly funny and down to earth.  He signed my hardback limited edition Stardust and even drew in it for me!

I have a signed pre-edition copy of Fragile Things.

I've adored Gaiman since his Marvel days.  The man is a genius.  The Wolves in the Walls has made my daughter become interested in reading!

Gaiman has all my respect.  I'll buy one of his books that I don't have in a heartbeat!

Errm. Yeah.  I kinda like his stuff.

That's me that is!

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 2
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 10/1/2007 10:20:39 PM   
KennyM

I was just reading about Fragile Things and it looks pretty good, the short story that continues after American Gods sounded intriguing.
What about Coraline, is it any good? And are they making it into a film of sorts?

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 3
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 10/1/2007 10:49:52 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

I've adored Gaiman since his Marvel days. 

I assume you meant his DC/Vertigo days, unless of course you discovered the Neil a couple of years ago. Kudos to your taste regardless. He is for my money, the best contemporary fantasy writer working today.

quote:

ORIGINAL: KennyM

What about Coraline, is it any good? And are they making it into a film of sorts?

It's not bad, though it really is a younger kid's book, and clearly should be read aloud by yourself to one of your own. Henry Selick of Nightmare Before Christmas fame is making a stop motion film of it.

Really looking forward to Stardust, even though it's one of the few longer works of Gaiman that I haven't got round to yet.

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 4
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 11/1/2007 12:51:06 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Hartigan

quote:

I've adored Gaiman since his Marvel days. 

I assume you meant his DC/Vertigo days, unless of course you discovered the Neil a couple of years ago. Kudos to your taste regardless. He is for my money, the best contemporary fantasy writer working today.

Oops   That will teach me to post when I've been drinking!  Yes I did mean the DC days.  Yes Coraline is being made

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327597/

That's me that is!

(in reply to Dirty Hartigan)
Post #: 5
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 11/1/2007 3:32:33 PM   
Base

Amazing writer!!!  Am taking my time with Fragile Things and reading the odd story between other books, he's done some wonderful short stories.

I managed to get a pristine HB edition of Angels and Visitations a few years back on ebay, don't think there's much in it that wasn't in Smoke and Mirrors tho.  It's one of very few books I've bought just for the sake of a complete collection...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 6
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 11/1/2007 6:03:55 PM   
sanchia

I felt Fragile Things  is a big let down and far less consistent that his previous work with some excellent stories such as A study in Emerald but many more very mediocre stories.

He is very good at stories with a dark lilt to them as he showed in Sandman one of the rare comics to gain universal praise and worth a look even to those who are not comic fans.  His collection of short stories in comic form Midnight Days is also very good with the Sandman Mystery Theatre story and Hellblazer story the highlights.

I understand his short story Murder Mysteries about the very first murder in heaven as in film development at the moment.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 11/1/2007 6:12:30 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 7
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 11/1/2007 9:32:23 PM   
Amelie_Scotland

I have to admit i didnt like Anansi Boys or Stardust but American Gods is a masterpiece!
I fell in love with that book and rushed through it as fast as i could, even sitting in class reading it (luckily my philosophy teacher is a big fan and we discussed it).
Will definately get my hans on Neverwhere.

I'm clean, I'm conscientious and I travel with my own tits.

You may not be able to change the world, but at least you can embarrass the guilty.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 8
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 12/1/2007 2:38:37 PM   
Helen OHara

Good Omens got me into him and I've gone from there - just read Anansi Boys and I'm making my way through Sandman. What. A. Dude.

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to Amelie_Scotland)
Post #: 9
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 12/1/2007 3:01:14 PM   
ilovebeerme

I'm going to have to re-read American Gods.  First time round I enjoyed it ok but....I don't know....I felt in certain bits the writing was a bit childish? rushed?  I'm not sure really but it didn't make as big an impact as it seems to have on others and I usually adore books like that.

He's stilla wesome though.  I loved Good Omens and bought my wife Anansi boys for christmas and she is thouroughly enjoying it.

Like food and wine? Come join the conversation at http://kitchendecanted.com/

Latest post - Chicken with Thai basil and chili

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 10
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 12/1/2007 4:12:19 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovebeerme

I'm going to have to re-read American Gods.  First time round I enjoyed it ok but....I don't know....I felt in certain bits the writing was a bit childish? rushed?  I'm not sure really but it didn't make as big an impact as it seems to have on others and I usually adore books like that.

He's stilla wesome though.  I loved Good Omens and bought my wife Anansi boys for christmas and she is thouroughly enjoying it.

I agree Beer, American Gods was okay but not particulary original or well written. I was waiting for a big pay off at the end and Shadow is such a one dimensional character that he ruined my enjoyment of the whole thing. But then of course you read the Sandman and he jumps out at you again. Certinaly not a genius in prose, but a very good comic book writer (although he nicks alot from Moore)

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 11
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 13/1/2007 10:57:21 AM   
Sean Fracture

Aw, the guy is fantastic, he really is. I picked up American Gods for £3 from WH Smith last Christmas on a total whim, and it's one of the greatest novels I've ever read. Just finishing off Smoke and Mirrors at the minute, some of the stuff in there is incredible, too. I lent American Gods to my parents and they've both read it, loved it, and bought Neverwhere, so once they're finished that I'll be working my way through it.

Regarding the criticism of American Gods, particularly Shadow - I really disagree that he's one-dimensional. It would have been very easy for him to have been the typical, clichéd tortured-dark-hero-with-a-soul, but I think Gaiman manages to just avoid this, by giving him some beautiful scenes and great dialogue. My only minor criticism is that the book occasionally loses it's way towards the end. Aside from that, it's definitely a modern classic.

"I'm Guybrush Threepwood, and I'm a mighty pirate."

(in reply to KennyM)
Post #: 12
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 15/1/2007 5:14:32 PM   
Grunny

I love Neil Gainman, I also love his work with Dave McKean. Wolves in the wall is a great kids book  and Mirrormask of course.
I havn't read Neverwhere but it was made into a TV Show, I havn't seen it but you can get it on DVD.

“People are strange, but more than that, they're good. They're good first, then strange.”

(in reply to Sean Fracture)
Post #: 13
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 16/1/2007 12:07:30 PM   
sanchia

Although in The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr Punch: A Romance I did find McKeans artwork did make it a very difficult read.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Grunny)
Post #: 14
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 17/1/2007 9:10:29 AM   
Base

I think the series of Neverwhere was made first and he adapted his own script for his first book (may be wrong).  The series is ok but the book was better.  There was talk of a big budget film a few years back...

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 15
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 17/1/2007 9:36:06 AM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

I think the series of Neverwhere was made first and he adapted his own script for his first book (may be wrong).  The series is ok but the book was better.  There was talk of a big budget film a few years back...

Indeed it was.  But as enjoyable as the show was, it was kind of let down by its restrictive budget.  Interestingly, it's also a monthly comic now too.  I've always thought that there was great scope for a big-budget movie there- perhaps Gaiman could sue JK Rowling for plagarism and use the winnings to make the movie?  

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 16
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 21/1/2007 2:59:02 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

I've always thought that there was great scope for a big-budget movie there- perhaps Gaiman could sue JK Rowling for plagarism and use the winnings to make the movie?  

As Gaiman himself has pointed out, TH White could justifiably come to both his and Rowling's houses and claim some money, so there's probably not going to be a lawsuit, or a Books of Magic movie anytime soon.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 21/1/2007 6:34:13 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

Indeed it was.  But as enjoyable as the show was, it was kind of let down by its restrictive budget.  Interestingly, it's also a monthly comic now too.  I've always thought that there was great scope for a big-budget movie there- perhaps Gaiman could sue JK Rowling for plagarism and use the winnings to make the movie?  

Wasn't that the one where there was supposed to be an underground magical market which they achieved by putting a few fairy lights up?

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 22/1/2007 1:35:38 PM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Wasn't that the one where there was supposed to be an underground magical market which they achieved by putting a few fairy lights up?

Yeah, pretty much. At the time it was compared to Doctor Who, and not in a good way.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 19
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 15/3/2007 10:15:17 PM   
Sean Fracture

Over halfway through Anansi Boys and once again, I'm blown away. Beautiful, and completely unlike his other works.

"I'm Guybrush Threepwood, and I'm a mighty pirate."

Post #: 20
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 5/3/2008 1:52:41 PM   
elab49

Damndest thing - this doesn't appear going through the pages but turns up on search! Does search find archived stuff that isn't shown anymore?

Anyway - Gaiman has written an original short story for World Book Day out now - Odd and the Frost Giants. Only £1.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 21
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 5/3/2008 1:59:06 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sean Fracture

Over halfway through Anansi Boys and once again, I'm blown away. Beautiful, and completely unlike his other works.

Nothing like American Gods then?

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

Post #: 22
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 5/3/2008 2:05:20 PM   
DJ Satan

You can get American Gods for free online until the end of the month.
http://browseinside.harpercollins.com/index.aspx?isbn13=9780060558123&WT.mc_id=author_AmerGods_FullAccess_022208

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Kilo_T_Mortal)
Post #: 23
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 12/5/2009 10:46:27 AM   
Mason Verger

Neil Gaiman on Coraline, Alan Moore and Twitter from SKY.com (Suggested by rob_daniel2003)

Mind like parachute - only function when open.

Be excellent to each other.

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 24
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 12/5/2009 9:08:34 PM   
G.O.B

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/221843/march-16-2009/neil-gaiman

Excellent interview with Gaiman on The Colbert Report a few months back. 

Member of COBW

All I can do is be me, whoever that is. - Bob Dylan

Last Film Watched: Duck Soup (McCarey,1933)****

(in reply to Mason Verger)
Post #: 25
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 16/5/2009 1:50:46 PM   
Olaf

Who added a question mark to the title? He IS a genius

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to G.O.B)
Post #: 26
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 17/5/2009 9:44:53 PM   
Funkyrae

Couldn't agree more.  Would be nice if he came back over here to live though.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 27
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 18/5/2009 12:07:32 AM   
steflon

love gaimens work...first i read was The Kindly Ones (the 9th Sandman book) which i found tucked away in a library, initially got it cos i loved McKeans covers and went on to love the book an get the the others

www.twitter.com/Steflon
http://onedayiwillhavehenchmen.blogspot.com/

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
we can roam these vast Empire halls as awesome Stefs.

ORIGINAL: hiptobesquare_x
'and that's why Steflon is all kinds of awesome.'

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 28
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 18/5/2009 5:57:14 AM   
Dirty Hartigan

quote:

Couldn't agree more.  Would be nice if he came back over here to live though.

I reckon he will in a few years time - he mentioned in a recent interview that he's starting to feel too comfortable in the US and wants to live somewhere unfamiliar again.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 29
RE: Neil gaiman - Genius - 18/5/2009 7:09:00 PM   
Funkyrae

Hmm maybe.  When I met him he was saying that he likes returning to the UK but couldn't see a permanent return on the cards.

That's me that is!

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Neil Gaiman - genius? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI