Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 11/11/2005 6:23:28 PM   
clare_star_

Hi, not sure if you have read this but its a really great book for those of you who like a mystery / thriller. Not as throw-away as a Dan Brown novel (don't get me wrong I enjoy DB books) the narrative has a sweetness about it that is either intentional or (worryingly) the result of some bad translation!

Anyway I would be interested in other people's opinons so debate away...

''Twitter''

Post #: 1
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 22/3/2006 5:26:49 PM   
Livvie

I was very disappointed with this book - It had a reasonably good plot, the descriptive writing style was quite lovely in parts ( Louis de Bernieres-esque?!) and yet as a whole I found it lacking somehow...

I hated the way he would suggest something (like how sinister Clara's uncle was at the start of the book) and then nothing would come of it.

It seems to me that among my friends who have read this book - we either loved it or hated it - there was no middle ground!!

After all ... tomorrow is another day.

Whoever you are, I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.
Post #: 2
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 22/3/2006 8:09:43 PM   
Dirty Bear

Bugger... I was gonna suggest this for the book club.....

I'll have to read it on my own now!!!  

(in reply to Livvie)
Post #: 3
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 22/3/2006 8:17:39 PM   
clare_star_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dirty Bear

Bugger... I was gonna suggest this for the book club.....

I'll have to read it on my own now!!!  

You should read it DB its an excellent book and if you want to discuss it as part of the book club then I don't mind waiting til you've all read it- I have loads of revision and dissertation I should concentrate on at the moment instead!

''Twitter''

(in reply to Dirty Bear)
Post #: 4
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 29/3/2006 6:18:20 PM   
beckylou

I just finished this book and I loved it so much! I love the idea of the cemetery of forgotten books - I'd love to be Isaac and just mooch round all those old books all day...god, what a geek ! I agree as well, it got quite scary in places, I was so gripped for the last 100 or so pages I 'forgot' to do a large amount of uni work

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 5
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 15/5/2006 11:05:52 AM   
westwood2000

I absolutely loved this book. I really liked the writing and the story was fantastic. It was so scary, too. A friend of mine read it and thought the writing wasn't so great, but I disagree. I can see the DB comparison, but definitely a big step up from his writing.

(in reply to clare_star_)
Post #: 6
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 9/8/2006 10:45:25 PM   
Kenji

Well, i agree it's not in the class of Marquez' Love in the Time of Cholera (what is?) but it touched the right buttons with me.

(in reply to westwood2000)
Post #: 7
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 14/8/2006 11:42:45 AM   
Jackie

My brother has a habit of giving me books and saying, "Read this, it's amazing. You'll love it." Only to have me extremely disappointed afterwards.

This book is the exception. It is a fantastic book, and like others have mentioned, I absolutely fell in love with the idea of The Cemetary Of Forgotten Books. Although it started off slow, by about 150 pages in I was hooked. I was up until 05.50 finishing it off (was so very tired the next morning) and managed to freak myself out a few times too (some scary stuff playing out in my mind, especially during THAT scene with the door and candles, hope you know which one I'm talking about...).

Fantastic read - I'd recommend it to anyone.

Jackie.

http://dwightsheep.pocketses.net

1. Epic Movie ***
2. Date Movie **
3. Music & Lyrics ***
4. Strings ****
5. Grave of the Fireflies *****

(in reply to Kenji)
Post #: 8
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 14/8/2006 4:06:36 PM   
i007_Bond_007i

My girlfriend just finished this book. She loved it. It's my next book to read after I finish Potter VI.

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Jackie)
Post #: 9
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 22/8/2006 12:48:15 AM   
Raven_Osiris

Now what I say next will be flowery, sentimental, possibly pretentious and almost certainly extremely sad but I don't care. When I finished this book I truly felt like I'd lost something. It is unlike any other book I have ever read for all the right reasons. It's story is sweet and sad and quite touching but thrilling at the same time. I was completely lost in this book from the first page and when I had to put it down (for such trivial things as using the bathroom, sleeping and eating) I felt totally strange and out of place. I adored this book and I am sure that anyone else who gives it a chance will enjoy it immensely too. READ THIS BOOK!

"That's so plausible I can't believe it!"

(in reply to i007_Bond_007i)
Post #: 10
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 22/8/2006 1:57:03 PM   
Dante1975

I've never posted before and unfortunately I have no quirky name or fun picture.
Reason I'm posting now is that I love this book.  First off it is beautifully written and has very realistic charachters that you genuinely feel for
For me this book is all about the joy of childhood innocence and the pain we all feel when we lose that and realise that sometime life just sucks.
If you like books that have a historical significance then read this book, if you like thrillers or the supernatural then read this book.  If you like strong charachetr driven stories then read this book.
I think you can get where I'm going with this.
By the way Raven_Osiris, I know what you mean.

(in reply to Raven_Osiris)
Post #: 11
RE: Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind - 26/8/2006 10:57:11 AM   
i007_Bond_007i

Welcome to the board, Dante1975 !

I'm going to start reading The Shadow Of The Wind on a ferry trip over to France tomorrow. Can't wait .

'An actor is at most a poet, and at least an entertainer.'

Jack Bauer refused the Godfather's offer.

'Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas - whatever.'

(in reply to Dante1975)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> Carlos Ruiz Zafon's Shadow of the Wind Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI