Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Tennis Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Tennis Thread Page: <<   < prev  96 97 [98] 99 100   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Tennis Thread - 23/9/2012 8:21:10 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Damn shame to see Robson lose the final but I'm sure she'll bag one soon enough. It's amazing how well she's developed over the past year.

On the note of Murray I think he's actually in a very good period for winning slams. Djokovic's level has dropped from 2011 and he's got one over him psychologically with the US Open win, even though Fed can still cut it he's not the same Federer of a few years ago (and that Wimbledon demolition is another nice psychological strike in Murray's favour) and Nadal's knees look like they will hamper him for the rest of his career.

I think it's Murray's time to shine!

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2911
RE: The Tennis Thread - 24/9/2012 1:48:37 PM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

Finally, a couple of ATP 250 finals tomorrow; reigning champion Tsonga v Seppi in Metz (where Monfils finally returned from injury with a run to the semi-finals) and Fognini v Klizan in Saint Petersburg. I'm backing Tsonga to keep hold of his crown in the former and, whilst Fognini has a bit more experience, I reckon young Klizan might win his first ever ATP title in the latter.

Huzzah! Harry Lime in correct prediction shocker!

I like the look of Klizan. He's not going to rip up the tour or anything but he has the potential to be top twenty, in my opinion. He's a junior French Open winner and, although he has taken time to get going, he has started to show good progress over the last few months with a good little run to the fourth round at the US Open (where he beat Tsonga - his first victory over a top ten player) and now the title in Saint Petersburg.

It will be interesting to follow his progress next year.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2912
RE: The Tennis Thread - 24/9/2012 4:52:00 PM   
boaby

I think Murray will have mined a fair weight of knowledge from Lendl. The snippets Lendl has been willing to divulge in interviews suggest the relationship is driven by both rather than one or the other. Lendl making suggestions and, most importantly IMO, Murray asking questions of the old boy. Before Lendl who could Murray ask about those experiences only the elite have? Can't go to rivals and ask advice, not if you're a stubborn, proud competitor like Murray. Couldn't ask his previous coaches, maybe Gilbert, by association with Mr Graff but the two seemed to butt heads... Seems like Murray trusts Lendl with his mind as well as body.

No doubt Murray has had for some time the drive to seek continual improvement. Maybe Lendl can channel that drive more effectively than past coaches. The same may be said for the more consistent and positive application of Murray's game.

Lendl does bring a calm, professional authority to the mix. An authority Murray seems willing to accept but which does not stifle him.

I hope Nadal comes back well and at a level approaching his peak. I think a confident and positive Murray could give him a real game in Paris.

No. 1 in the World is there for Murray if he can squeeze out a tad more of his potential.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2913
RE: The Tennis Thread - 24/9/2012 6:08:20 PM   
Hood_Man

I think Murray isn't as "nice" as he used to be

What I mean is, he seems willing to tag players at the net rather than try and go past them anymore, and I also heard that he doesn't play practise matches with the other top guys either. No more giving the others a chance to familiarise themselves with whatever new tactics he's trying out.

Now that he's avoided 0-5 in major finals, hopefully he can avoid going 1-6 like Lendl eventually did after finally breaking through, and start winning the matches he now knows he can win!

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2914
RE: The Tennis Thread - 24/9/2012 9:15:45 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

What Murray's finally realised is that passivity fails against the greats of this era - you have to be aggressive as fuck to bring them down. It was clear in the final as well, everytime he took the pace off the ball in a rally Djokovic would take over. From about halfway through the fourth set he started smacking it - and took the Serb down fairly comfortably in the final set.

As long as retains that aggressive mentality from now on he'll go from strength to strength.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2915
RE: The Tennis Thread - 24/9/2012 11:01:35 PM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris
quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I'm not a tennis expert, so to those who are, how much of this can we attribute to his new coach?

A massive amount I reckon. He's the first coach that's got inside his head & helped him turn that anger/frustration/petulance etc into a weapon.

Two years ago; he would have crumbled in the 5th. But his focus & drive has improved dramatically since then.

I still feel Wimbledon was a massive turning point for him. Even though he didn't win it, getting to the final & his post-match interview relieved so much pressure on him. In the Olympics, the shackles of expectation & scrutiny looked well & truly off him - even more so now.

I'm not sure that I agree with that entirely.

Lendl has certainly helped push Murray over the edge - he's taking the ball on earlier, crunching his forehand, backing up his second serve and is less prone to prolonged spells of passivity. However, a lot of the ground work of that was laid by Miles Maclagan. If Lendl is the man who gave Murray the push then it was Maclagan who got him to the top of the cliff!

Pyschologically, the presence of Lendl can only be presumed but Murray seems content and, perhaps, a little more steely and pragmatic. If he feels that having Lendl in his box gives him something extra then I am certainly in no place to disagree! I'm not sure that Murray has crumbled in the past though. His five-set record is as impressive as any of his three rivals, as are his head-to-heads against Federer and Djokovic. You don't reach four slam finals by being a choker and, although certainly over-awed in the first, in all four he has been beaten by the better player. It's all part of the learning process.

There's also the feeling that it is Murray's "time". As you say, the Wimbledon/ Olympic factor certainly seems a catalyst (don't overlook the positives he took from his performance in Australian Open semi-final defeat to Djokovic either) but he has been biting Nadal and Federer's heels for the last four years and he was playing too well to not break through eventually. With Federer ageing and Nadal struggling with tendonitis it will likely be Djokovic and Murray who will be battling it out for the number one spot in 2013. Unless somebody like the promising Raonic steps up a level next year, the only other player that I can see challenging in the majors next year is a fully fit Del Potro and, whilst I think that he has another major in him, I don't think he possesses the mobility or invention to match the consitency of the current top four in the near future.

I think Murray will have another major in the bag this time next year, maybe two if he really flies. The big wildcard is Nadal though and, more precisely, the state that his knees are in when he returns. All the big four will come out of the winter break fresh and will have a chance at Australian Open.

Anyway, well done to Laura Robson. She's sort of got lost amid the Murray-mania but she's had a great few months with the Olympics, her scalp-hunting run in the US Open and her surge to British number one. I'm certain that will not be her last WTA final and if she keeps progressing then I can certainly see her breaking the top twenty in the near future. She's got a very good coach in Zeljko Krajan and if she sticks with him then she will keep on making waves.

Finally, a couple of ATP 250 finals tomorrow; reigning champion Tsonga v Seppi in Metz (where Monfils finally returned from injury with a run to the semi-finals) and Fognini v Klizan in Saint Petersburg. I'm backing Tsonga to keep hold of his crown in the former and, whilst Fognini has a bit more experience, I reckon young Klizan might win his first ever ATP title in the latter.

A top post.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2916
RE: The Tennis Thread - 24/9/2012 11:10:57 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

What Murray's finally realised is that passivity fails against the greats of this era - you have to be aggressive as fuck to bring them down. It was clear in the final as well, everytime he took the pace off the ball in a rally Djokovic would take over. From about halfway through the fourth set he started smacking it - and took the Serb down fairly comfortably in the final set.

As long as retains that aggressive mentality from now on he'll go from strength to strength.

Yeah, no one epitomises how being aggressive works like Djokovic; every single time he was down in a match last year or had break point against him, he'd step it up and put pressure on the opponent and try for winners; that shot he hit in the semi's of the US Open against Federer last year being a prime example of that attitude. More often than not it worked for him.

Murray has done the same this year, he is indeed far less passive with the big boys than he was, is taking the ball earlier, trying to make more shots and the results have been very good in all the slams (with the probable exception of the French where he lost pretty meekly to Ferrer in the QF's, however clay isn't one of Murray's strong points so a QF-SF showing there is still fine in my view). When Nadal comes back, I can't wait to see Murray play him at a slam as I think he has a great chance now of beating him more often than not playing this way. His losses to Nadal in the semi's at Wimbledon have either been due to Nadal pressing more on the big points, or Murray losing it after he missed that forehand when a set up. I dont think that will be the case now, so it just comes down to who wins the big points, and in that area, I feel Murray has improved immensely. Also his tie-break record has been second-to-none this year, and thats always a positive.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 24/9/2012 11:12:54 PM >

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 2917
RE: The Tennis Thread - 27/9/2012 10:47:49 AM   
Hood_Man

"I'm not Rafa!"

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2918
RE: The Tennis Thread - 6/10/2012 10:23:45 AM   
Harry Lime

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2012/10/40/Tokyo-Saturday-Raonic-Knocks-Out-Murray-Nishikori-Faces-Baghdatis.aspx

It's gonna be an interesting final between two talented young guns in Tokyo tomorrow morning! As I said in my previous post, Raonic looks full of promise and this victory over defending champion Murray might give him the impetus he needs to push on for a top ten charge. The fact that he has faced match points against both Murray and Tipsarevic (in the quarter final) shows that there is some steel in his game. There are also a few of us on the boards who are fully paid members of the Kei Nishikori fan club, so it is great to see him contesting another final. It's hard to believe that it's four years since he won his debut ATP crown. I would love it if he won his second on home territory! However, although Nishikori has brushed aside Baghdatis and Berdych this week, I'll have to let my head rule my heart and tip Raonic for the win.

The final in Beijing could be tasty too. If Djokovic negotiates Mayer in the semi-final, he will face Tsonga in the final. I fancy Djokovic to win the whole thing as he is chasing down the year-end number one spot, but Tsonga is always mercurial and in good form after his title in Metz a fortnight ago. It's a potential match-up with entertainment written all over it!

Of course, we're on to Shanghai Masters next week and, Nadal aside, all the big boys will be there. Murray is two-time defending champion so will be battling like crazy to keep hold of those points, whilst Djokovic will be looking to continue the form he has so far shown this week and Federer (traditionally strong during the end-of-season run-in) returns for his first match since the US Open.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2919
RE: The Tennis Thread - 7/10/2012 11:23:27 AM   
Harry Lime

Huzzah! Kei Nishikori beats Milos Raonic 7-6, 3-6, 6-0 to win the Japan Open!

Seriously, it's great to see two young up-and-comers contesting an ATP 500 title. It bodes well for the future.

At the China Open, Djokovic beat Tsonga 7-6, 6-2 to give himself momentum going into the Shanghai Masters next week and to boost his chances of squeaking past Federer for the year end number one slot.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2920
RE: The Tennis Thread - 7/10/2012 6:28:19 PM   
Saltire

Great to see Nishikori win, he's a cracking player and fun to watch. Hope he can push on next year.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2921
RE: The Tennis Thread - 7/10/2012 6:33:02 PM   
Hood_Man

Raonic bagelled, impressive.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2922
RE: The Tennis Thread - 7/10/2012 11:21:17 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

Huzzah! Kei Nishikori beats Milos Raonic 7-6, 3-6, 6-0 to win the Japan Open!

Seriously, it's great to see two young up-and-comers contesting an ATP 500 title. It bodes well for the future.

At the China Open, Djokovic beat Tsonga 7-6, 6-2 to give himself momentum going into the Shanghai Masters next week and to boost his chances of squeaking past Federer for the year end number one slot.

In late but still have to express how overhwhelmingly pleased I am for Nishikori! Didn't catch the match in full - was off to play a tournament of my own - but saw some of Kei's incredible passing shots against Raonic and extremely surprised he was able to bagel Milos, he of the missile serve. It's almost like taking a 6-0 set off Isner or Karlovic.

Totally agree Harry - very healthy for the game that the next generation are challenging for the bigger titles among themselves now and I hope, along with Raonic's second win over Murray that these guys will start pushing the top 4 harder in more important tournaments, and that perhaps one of them will make the elusive breakthrough and make a semi final in a major.

Djokovic has got to be the form player going into Shanghai this week - only dropped one set I think and after the first set of the final made very light work of Tsonga.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2923
RE: The Tennis Thread - 7/10/2012 11:21:42 PM   
KnightofZyryab

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

"I'm not Rafa!"

And this is one of the most awesomest things ever.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2924
RE: The Tennis Thread - 14/10/2012 7:24:46 AM   
Hood_Man

Watson wins the Osaka Open!

First British lady to win a WTA title since 1988!

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 2925
RE: The Tennis Thread - 14/10/2012 10:53:47 AM   
Hood_Man

Fair play, Murray has been an absolute beast since Wimbledon.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 14/10/2012 10:54:58 AM >

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2926
RE: The Tennis Thread - 14/10/2012 1:04:24 PM   
Hood_Man

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2927
RE: The Tennis Thread - 14/10/2012 1:22:04 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Indeed - Murray probably should have closed it out in the second. But then ...

It's unbelievable how many of these matches he's won now, where he's been backed against the wall and just hit his way out. Their rivalry is very exciting right now and out of the match-ups of the top 4 provided 3 of the best matches of the year, along with their Grand Slam encounters. To my mind and unofficially these two are the no.1 and 2 in the world, even if the ranking says Federer.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2928
RE: The Tennis Thread - 15/10/2012 6:53:37 PM   
Saltire

Agree with saying Murray and Djokovic are the unofficial top two, they look a step above anyone just now, even the mighty Federer, but I wouldn't write him off in the WTF.

Great for Watson winning that tournament, I thought Robson would be the first to do it, but it genuinely looks like these two players have a real shot at being top twenty players shortly.

Post #: 2929
RE: The Tennis Thread - 15/10/2012 8:31:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Wow Heather Watson won a title! I really thought Robson would be the first as well. After a long long abscence we actually have some excellent British ladies on the tour, amazing stuff.

As for Murray five match points should be enough at the level he's playing at, fair enough Djokovic has nerves of steel but that was Murray's for the taking - disappointing that.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2930
RE: The Tennis Thread - 15/10/2012 10:50:55 PM   
boaby

Ach, Murray was playing sporadically brilliantly. His first serve went missing a bit both in the 1st set and when he was serving for the match. I had to go to work so missed the third set but I was convinced Djokovic would win it.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 2931
RE: The Tennis Thread - 6/11/2012 2:02:42 PM   
KnightofZyryab

Anyone been or going to the 02 this year? I'm going tomorrow to the night session - thought it would be Murray-Djokovic but for some reason they've scheduled it in the afternoon. Going to try and nab a last minute ticket for the afternoon session as well.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2932
RE: The Tennis Thread - 12/11/2012 10:57:09 PM   
Hood_Man

Yay for Novak...

Post #: 2933
RE: The Tennis Thread - 17/1/2013 11:12:07 AM   
impqueen

Anyone else watching the world’s 4th best Major? Murray is playing very well, Watson looks ill but is into the 3rd round and Robson is currently a set down in the 2nd to eighth seed Kvitova.

I watched Gael Monfils play earlier and I'm gutted he went through, there is brilliance but he is such a sloppy player I lost count but it was something like 23 double faults.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2934
RE: The Tennis Thread - 17/1/2013 1:00:15 PM   
impqueen

Oh Laura, Laura, Laura... So close...

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2935
RE: The Tennis Thread - 17/1/2013 1:32:09 PM   
impqueen

Get the feck in!

Yes, always.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2936
RE: The Tennis Thread - 17/1/2013 9:13:35 PM   
Hood_Man

I missed it, but I was watching the score updates online at work. When I saw Robson had lost the first set I slumped and went back to work, but then I looked back about an hour later and saw the new score and thought WTF??

Team GB! Team GB!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2937
RE: The Tennis Thread - 17/1/2013 9:50:28 PM   
impqueen

It wasn’t a vintage match but it was gripping.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2938
RE: The Tennis Thread - 18/1/2013 12:12:38 AM   
Saltire

I have been watching it, been very good for the British contingent so far - anyway no time to talk, away to watch Watson, fingers crossed for her...

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2939
RE: The Tennis Thread - 19/1/2013 1:18:35 PM   
Hood_Man

Two Frenchmen playing tennis & neither of them can win, who would have thought it?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2940
Page:   <<   < prev  96 97 [98] 99 100   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: The Tennis Thread Page: <<   < prev  96 97 [98] 99 100   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI