Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 Page: <<   < prev  95 96 [97] 98 99   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 11/9/2012 1:22:27 AM   
Phil884

Now hold hold holllllllld!

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2881
ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:23:03 AM   
Hood_Man

COme on Murray!!! Up a break in the fifth!!

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2882
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:27:19 AM   
Phil884

4 games to go. Come on!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2883
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:35:35 AM   
Phil884

3 and come on!

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2884
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:37:14 AM   
Hood_Man

Oh boy... never mind the quality but the drama has been intense

A double break! It'll still be tense if Murray ends up serving for this!!

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2885
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:39:21 AM   
Phil884

Already is.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2886
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:41:24 AM   
Phil884

There goes one break. God, you have to respect Djokovic's staying power.

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2887
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:46:59 AM   
Mojo

This is ridiculous.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2888
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:50:35 AM   
Hood_Man

Longest US Open final was between Lendl (lol) and WIlander, and took approx 4 hours 55 minutes to complete

These two are about 15 minutes away from matching that.

I hope Murray channels his inner Rosol from this moment on though!

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 2889
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:51:44 AM   
Phil884

Tantalising close.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2890
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:55:19 AM   
Phil884

Oh come on. Break point to serve for the championship. Pls

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2891
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 1:56:14 AM   
Phil884

2 breaks again. Serving for his first grand slam and I...am out of booze. Damn it...

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2892
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 2:05:18 AM   
Hood_Man

About Goddamn time!

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2893
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 2:05:27 AM   
Phil884

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 2894
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 2:15:45 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Congratulations Andy Murray!!! Welcome to the winner's circle - you got there in the end. What a classic match, absolutely phenomenal from start to finish. Where he goes from here is very exciting.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2895
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 2:30:03 AM   
Harry Lime

Fuck yeah. I desperately need sleep but that was well worth being a zombie for tomorrow.

Well done Andy. You put us through the wringer (again) but you thoroughly deserved it. Andy Murray. Grand Slam Champion. It's got a nice ring to it!

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 2896
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 2:35:55 AM   
Saltire

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2897
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 3:14:59 AM   
Saltire

Thank feck he's managed to get that monkey off his back now! He almost threw it away but showed great balls to raise his game when the time came in the fifth set. I never doubted he could do it and has now proved all the idiot doubters wrong. I think he can go on now and add another two or three now and justify his place as a British tennis legend.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2898
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 3:17:14 AM   
impqueen

All of the above.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2899
RE: ANDY MURRAY COME ON!!! - 11/9/2012 7:26:47 AM   
Captain Black

2012 eh? What a year.

Congratulations Andy. Really pleased for him.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2900
RE: The Tennis Thread - 11/9/2012 11:52:44 AM   
paulyboy

Well bugger me!

I honestly didn't think he'd pull it off if I'm being honest, the big three always seem to find an extra gear in these scenarios that Murray rarely has an answer for and after Djokovic had taken sets 3 & 4 I have to admit I was very much resolved to the mindset of "here we go again!". But, the lad pulled it off, full credit to the guy, chuffed to bits for him and really hope he can capatilise on this with future Grand Slam wins.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 2901
RE: The Tennis Thread - 11/9/2012 11:57:54 AM   
Professor Moriarty

I'm sorry I went to bed Andy But I did bet someone that you'd not bottle it and win before I went

I'm not a tennis expert, so to those who are, how much of this can we attribute to his new coach?

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 2902
RE: The Tennis Thread - 11/9/2012 1:08:17 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

I'm not a tennis expert, so to those who are, how much of this can we attribute to his new coach?

Quite a lot, Lendl was in the same boat as Murray in that he'd lost his first four slam finals.

Immense performance by Murray, took it to Djokovic and outhit him under massive pressure in the final set. Fair enough he had his wobbles but at this level you're up against such killer players it's rarely straightforward.

For once we can use 'mental strength' in a positive light when discussing Murray, when we were all expecting him to crack he went up a level and played the best tennis I've ever seen him come up with. In that final set and a half Djokovic was firing on all cylinders and Murray still took him down.

He should really go on and win a few more slams now, even get to no.1 in the world. I predict he'll end his career with five or six now he's gotten over this major hurdle.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 2903
RE: The Tennis Thread - 11/9/2012 1:14:32 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

A massive amount I reckon. He's the first coach that's got inside his head & helped him turn that anger/frustration/petulance etc into a weapon.

Two years ago; he would have crumbled in the 5th. But his focus & drive has improved dramatically since then.

I still feel Wimbledon was a massive turning point for him. Even though he didn't win it, getting to the final & his post-match interview relieved so much pressure on him. In the Olympics, the shackles of expectation & scrutiny looked well & truly off him - even more so now.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 2904
RE: The Tennis Thread - 11/9/2012 1:29:17 PM   
Skiba

I only lasted until the 4th set. Thought I had SS1 in the bedroom but I don't...I couldn't be arsed to get back up again so just went to sleep. But well done Murray...he looked well and truly rattled before I went to bed so was expecting to wake up to a Djokovic win. I don't watch much hard court tennis so it was great to see the difference in tactics and shot selection. Completely skill-set to that of the others. And that weather...

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 2905
RE: The Tennis Thread - 11/9/2012 7:06:08 PM   
boaby

Backbone, Andy lad, backbone.

Yas min.

Now just watch him go. Depending on Nadal's knees and Murray's fitness I reckon Andy will be 1st/2nd favourite in all 4 slams next year.

Great tennis in patches and that's all well and good. Big, hairy, dangling cojones when it mattered was the key. He broke Djokovic in the end.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 2906
RE: The Tennis Thread - 11/9/2012 7:16:21 PM   
Saltire

It could well be the beginning of his time:

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 2907
RE: The Tennis Thread - 21/9/2012 10:52:56 PM   
Saltire

Laura Robson is the first female British tennis player in over twenty years to reach the final of a WTA event; she's had a great last few months, and is no doubt brimming with confidence after her (and Andy's) showing at The Olympics. Come on Laura, you can do it!!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2908
RE: The Tennis Thread - 22/9/2012 3:54:12 PM   
Saltire

Ah she couldn't quite pull it off, never mind, she had a great tournament that will help her rise in the world rankings, and hopefully give her confidence to have a great end to the year.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2909
RE: The Tennis Thread - 23/9/2012 12:58:28 AM   
Harry Lime

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris
quote:

A massive amount I reckon. He's the first coach that's got inside his head & helped him turn that anger/frustration/petulance etc into a weapon.

Two years ago; he would have crumbled in the 5th. But his focus & drive has improved dramatically since then.

I still feel Wimbledon was a massive turning point for him. Even though he didn't win it, getting to the final & his post-match interview relieved so much pressure on him. In the Olympics, the shackles of expectation & scrutiny looked well & truly off him - even more so now.

I'm not sure that I agree with that entirely.

Lendl has certainly helped push Murray over the edge - he's taking the ball on earlier, crunching his forehand, backing up his second serve and is less prone to prolonged spells of passivity. However, a lot of the ground work of that was laid by Miles Maclagan. If Lendl is the man who gave Murray the push then it was Maclagan who got him to the top of the cliff!

Pyschologically, the presence of Lendl can only be presumed but Murray seems content and, perhaps, a little more steely and pragmatic. If he feels that having Lendl in his box gives him something extra then I am certainly in no place to disagree! I'm not sure that Murray has crumbled in the past though. His five-set record is as impressive as any of his three rivals, as are his head-to-heads against Federer and Djokovic. You don't reach four slam finals by being a choker and, although certainly over-awed in the first, in all four he has been beaten by the better player. It's all part of the learning process.

There's also the feeling that it is Murray's "time". As you say, the Wimbledon/ Olympic factor certainly seems a catalyst (don't overlook the positives he took from his performance in Australian Open semi-final defeat to Djokovic either) but he has been biting Nadal and Federer's heels for the last four years and he was playing too well to not break through eventually. With Federer ageing and Nadal struggling with tendonitis it will likely be Djokovic and Murray who will be battling it out for the number one spot in 2013. Unless somebody like the promising Raonic steps up a level next year, the only other player that I can see challenging in the majors next year is a fully fit Del Potro and, whilst I think that he has another major in him, I don't think he possesses the mobility or invention to match the consitency of the current top four in the near future.

I think Murray will have another major in the bag this time next year, maybe two if he really flies. The big wildcard is Nadal though and, more precisely, the state that his knees are in when he returns. All the big four will come out of the winter break fresh and will have a chance at Australian Open.

Anyway, well done to Laura Robson. She's sort of got lost amid the Murray-mania but she's had a great few months with the Olympics, her scalp-hunting run in the US Open and her surge to British number one. I'm certain that will not be her last WTA final and if she keeps progressing then I can certainly see her breaking the top twenty in the near future. She's got a very good coach in Zeljko Krajan and if she sticks with him then she will keep on making waves.

Finally, a couple of ATP 250 finals tomorrow; reigning champion Tsonga v Seppi in Metz (where Monfils finally returned from injury with a run to the semi-finals) and Fognini v Klizan in Saint Petersburg. I'm backing Tsonga to keep hold of his crown in the former and, whilst Fognini has a bit more experience, I reckon young Klizan might win his first ever ATP title in the latter.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 2910
Page:   <<   < prev  95 96 [97] 98 99   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 Page: <<   < prev  95 96 [97] 98 99   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI