Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 Page: <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 2/9/2012 11:42:14 PM   
Hood_Man

It was 8 or 9 match points at 5-2, 5-3 and at 5-4. I was beginning to wonder what it would take for Sam to win it

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 2821
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 3/9/2012 1:20:40 AM   
Saltire

Robbo is gonna be a terrific player, she has the world in front of her for sure - apparently she's the youngest player in the top 100 too; playing like that she could be a top ten player easily in the next three years.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2822
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 3/9/2012 11:43:48 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

I think her new coach's tactics, the training to make her more mobile and the fact she's now 5-11 are all adding up to something potentially great here. If she can beat people like Na and Clisters surely a tournie win is a matter of time?

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2823
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 3/9/2012 11:44:04 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I think her new coach's tactics, the training to make her more mobile and the fact she's now 5-11 are all adding up to something potentially great here. If she can beat people like Na and Clisters surely a tournie win is a matter of time?

She's 5'11"? Sheesh, I'm only 5'9", she doesn't look taller than me. I did hear an amazing stat that the average height on the women's tour was 5'11" though which I thought rather incredible.

They were saying that her coach is going to be taking her away for a bit to work on area's of her game that need improvement, but certainly her serve, power and movement have improved exponentially this year on what I have seen of her.

Post #: 2824
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 4/9/2012 3:05:59 AM   
Saltire

Masterful Murray; there is no doubt Raonic is coming, but Murray tonight completely negated his game and played some wondrous shots. Great stuff.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2825
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 4/9/2012 1:38:19 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I did hear an amazing stat that the average height on the women's tour was 5'11" though which I thought rather incredible.

Interestingly though Serena Williams is 5-9 and can hit 120mph serves!

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2826
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 4/9/2012 11:31:05 PM   
Saltire

And yet Serena looks over six foot!

Post #: 2827
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 1:09:36 AM   
Hood_Man

Roddick/Del Potro on court. I hope the stadium fills up soon, this could be Andy's last match

He's held easily in his first two service games mind, so you never know...

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2828
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 1:56:24 AM   
Hood_Man

Ugh, potentially an hour's rain delay

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2829
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 2:18:32 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Can't ... stay up ... much longer ... but must! Have to see it if it's going to be Roddick's last.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2830
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 3:05:27 AM   
Saltire

Damn this rain, could be a mini-classic between those two and it comes on in a first set tie-break!!!

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 2831
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 1:15:11 PM   
Harry Lime

The men's tournament is shaping up very nicely now. The biggest shock remains the early departure of Tsonga but I don't think that has particularly opened up the draw for anybody. I would have fancied Murray against the Frenchman had he made the last eight and I fancy Murray against Cilic too. He's a tricky opponent with a good serve, but Murray has dealt with bigger and better in slam tennis and I fully expect him to out-manoeuvre and out-strike the Croat.

The same goes for Federer against Berdych. Of course, Berdych shocked Federer at the same stage at Wimbledon a couple of years ago but I can't really see lightening striking twice. Federer has been close to his imperious best in recent months and has too much in his locker for a player who I regard as something of a clubber. Berdych might take a set but I can't see anything but a comfortable Federer victory.

The bottom half of the draw is more open. I still fancy Del Potro to make his second US Open final. It would be a fairy-tale should Roddick continue his run but the American no-longer has the weapons to power through the really big guns. His serve is still reliable but his forehand is predictable and, strangely, doesn't generate as much weight as it ought to. Del Potro, on the other hand, is coming close to the kind of heavy-weight form that brought him his first slam in 2009 and, like Murray, will have gained confidence from his performance at the Olympics. Djokovic has looked unstoppable whilst steaming through the early rounds (and I fully expect him to dismiss Wawrinka in double-quick time) but a quarter-final against the big Argentine could well be epic and will certainly put him under the kind of pressure that he hasn't had on him so far in New York. Barring any massive shocks, this looks like a peach of a match-up.

It's hard to call Tipsarevic against Kohlschreiber. Tipsarevic has the advantage of a higher ranking but Kohlschreiber probably edges the better form coming into the tournament following a decent grass-court season. That said, the German is already further than he has ever been at Flushing Meadows and as far as he has ever been at any slam. Tipsarevic is probably the better player and made the quarter-finals last year but I'm going to stick my neck on the block and go for Kohlscheiber, I think.

Either way, I don't think either will get past David Ferrer in the next round. The man is just too consistent and another slam semi-final will deservedly cap a fine year for the Spaniard.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

If I get there early will it be the right time
our heaven is just waiting so put your hand into mine.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2832
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 10:17:20 PM   
impqueen

I know it happens everywhere but I canít be the only one who dislikes the American Crowd cheering when Del Potro makes a mistake? Maybe I'm just in a cranky mood...

Murray not going well in the 1st Set...

< Message edited by impqueen -- 5/9/2012 10:22:11 PM >

Yes, always.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2833
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 10:41:03 PM   
Harry Lime

Murray seems to have woken up. Back on serve. Or not. Broken again. Looks like Cilic will serve out the first set here. Yep. There we go. Sloppy Murray, sloppy.

Hope that Roddick can at least take it to a fifth. It would be a fitting end. Looks like Del Potro is going to take it in four though.

Disappointed that Sharapova beat Bartoli earlier. I really can not stand the woman. Ear-plugs at the ready for her semi-final against Azarenka. Pleased Sara Errani got through to another semi-final. She's had a great year, what with her run to the Roland Garros final as well.

"People think I have an interesting walk. Hell, I'm just trying to hold my gut in."

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 2834
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 11:05:20 PM   
Hood_Man

Goodbye Andy. I'm glad I was able to see it.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2835
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 11:06:32 PM   
Harry Lime

Del Potro beats Roddick 6-7, 7-6, 6-2, 6-4. Emotional scenes at the end. I was never his biggest fan but he is a big personality and it is certainly something of an end of an era.

Murray still struggling on Louis Armstrong. He threw in two double faults in the opening game of the second set and is a break down yet again. His game just seems to be breaking down right now. Gah. Make that a double break.

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 5/9/2012 11:07:50 PM >

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2836
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 5/9/2012 11:26:42 PM   
Hood_Man

Honestly, I'm not going to be worried until he's facing match points. He's won six 5 set matches from 0-2 down, I think he can pull this off in 5.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2837
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 6/9/2012 12:27:50 AM   
KnightofZyryab

Murray now 5-2 up with a double break in the third.

You can relax now Murray fans.

< Message edited by KnightofZyryab -- 6/9/2012 12:28:20 AM >

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2838
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 6/9/2012 1:50:09 AM   
Saltire

What a performance by Andy. Cilic was superb for a set-and-a-half, but how Andy managed to scrape through that set and win it is reminiscent of Djokovic and Nadal's fighting abilities. From then on Cilic was gone and Andy played some superb stuff.

Into's the semi's to probably meet Federer, should be a corker of a match if the last two meetings are anything to go by!

Also I watched the DelPo v Roddick match, and it was a shame to see him lose pretty meekly in the end, you could see the emotions getting the better of him towards the end. I'm sure we'll see Roddick back in some media capacity soon.

What about DelPo as a dark horse to win the whole thing though? Very little unforced errors, great touch and moving the ball/peppering the lines beautifully - he's almost back to what he was before his wrist injury.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 2839
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 6/9/2012 1:54:21 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

Murray seems to have woken up. Back on serve. Or not. Broken again. Looks like Cilic will serve out the first set here. Yep. There we go. Sloppy Murray, sloppy.

Hope that Roddick can at least take it to a fifth. It would be a fitting end. Looks like Del Potro is going to take it in four though.

Disappointed that Sharapova beat Bartoli earlier. I really can not stand the woman. Ear-plugs at the ready for her semi-final against Azarenka. Pleased Sara Errani got through to another semi-final. She's had a great year, what with her run to the Roland Garros final as well.

Agreed, I have a soft spot for Bartoli too just for her bouncing all over the place, it always makes me smile!

Sharapova never smiles, screeches all the time and how more players don't get on top of her serve which is useless is beyond me. Between her, Azarenka and The Beast, there's very few likeable female tennis players out there now, Though Wozniaki is a character; just a pity she doesn't seem to have what it takes just now; there's also Schiavone, but she's probably nearly finished now.

< Message edited by Saltire -- 6/9/2012 1:55:18 AM >

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2840
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 6/9/2012 9:29:49 AM   
Harry Lime

Crikey! Lightening does strike twice!

Berdych beats Federer 7-6, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. I genuinely didn't see that happening. I think that only Nadal and Djokovic have beaten Federer in a slam match on more than one occasion. That is a big shock.

Still. Murray must be rubbing his hands right now. I know that Berdych has got a touch of slam pedigree and that he battled to the final of Wimbledon in 2010, but Murray has to be hot favourite to make his fifth slam final now. The Milos Raonic match aside, Murray may not have looked anywhere near his best so far but he has proved that he has the weapons to nullify the power hitters. The way he ground back Cilic from a set and a double break last night - and then went on to rub his face in the dirt - was classic match-play tennis and, dare I say it, as ruthless as his coach Lendl was back in his day.

Really looking forward to Del Potro versus Djokovic now. It has the potential to be apocalyptic!

< Message edited by Harry Lime -- 6/9/2012 9:31:36 AM >

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2841
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 6/9/2012 9:54:30 AM   
Hood_Man

I didn't mind waking up to Federer's loss, Berdych has been an incredibly tricky opponent for him the last few years (something like 1 straight sets match in their last 7-8 meetings), I had a feeling it could go to 5 sets but there we are.

Makes the semi final a little easier on the heart strings, now that I can root 100% for Murray

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2842
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 6/9/2012 6:31:35 PM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Lime

Crikey! Lightening does strike twice!

Berdych beats Federer 7-6, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3. I genuinely didn't see that happening. I think that only Nadal and Djokovic have beaten Federer in a slam match on more than one occasion. That is a big shock.

Still. Murray must be rubbing his hands right now. I know that Berdych has got a touch of slam pedigree and that he battled to the final of Wimbledon in 2010, but Murray has to be hot favourite to make his fifth slam final now. The Milos Raonic match aside, Murray may not have looked anywhere near his best so far but he has proved that he has the weapons to nullify the power hitters. The way he ground back Cilic from a set and a double break last night - and then went on to rub his face in the dirt - was classic match-play tennis and, dare I say it, as ruthless as his coach Lendl was back in his day.

Really looking forward to Del Potro versus Djokovic now. It has the potential to be apocalyptic!

Agree, this has the makings of a true epic - it will be slow though, so I'll probably start watching it mid-way through the first set!

Can't believe Federer got beat last night too, had him and Nole on for a double yesterday and of all the days for Federer to falter!

I know that people will say Andy has got a result here playing Berdych in the semi's, but he has a losing record against him and Berdych seems to be a bogey player for Andy who never looks that comforable whenever he plays him. Having said that, the match will be played on Ashe which Andy usually plays well on, and if he plays near the standard he did against Raonic and negates Thomas to an extent, he will win - it won't be an easy ride however.

(in reply to Harry Lime)
Post #: 2843
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 7/9/2012 1:07:52 AM   
Hood_Man

Well that was a pathetic half hour...

Finally, the players are on! Christ knows how much of this I can actually watch, I'm knackered and I need to be up early tomorrow

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2844
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 7/9/2012 4:41:06 AM   
Saltire

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Well that was a pathetic half hour...

Finally, the players are on! Christ knows how much of this I can actually watch, I'm knackered and I need to be up early tomorrow

Lol yeah as soon as they switched to last nights match, I proceeded to switch on two eps of the latest Breaking Bad to catch up, as I knew they'd take a while coming on and get going as both Nole and DelPo are slow players between points. How Djokovic defended and struck the ball in that second set towards the end was truly spectacular - what a player.

What a match that was between Ferrer and Tippy though, amazing stuff, the determination showed by both players to win and even in the fifth set when Janko was 3 - 0 up, you just knew Ferrer would come back, and in the end it hinged on one point in the tie-breaker after four hours! You just have to tip your hat to them both, but particularly the superb little Spaniard!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2845
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 7/9/2012 11:01:08 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

Djokovic is ominously returning to his form of last year and earlier in the season.....

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 2846
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 8/9/2012 6:37:43 PM   
Hood_Man

Anyone else bored out of their skulls? I wish there was a roof just to protect the courts from the wind, never mind the rain.

Exciting tennis, it makes not.

[EDIT]

Although it is occasionally hilarious, that point at 0-15 looked less like wind affecting play, and more like the ball was hanging off a fishing hook and being dangled over Berdych's head by an angry Atlas.

< Message edited by Hood_Man -- 8/9/2012 6:43:47 PM >

Post #: 2847
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 8/9/2012 9:21:43 PM   
Hood_Man

4th set's been much better, squeak bum time!

Match point Murray!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2848
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 8/9/2012 9:30:28 PM   
Hood_Man

Final #5, and the second this year

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2849
RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 - 8/9/2012 11:29:37 PM   
Saltire

Phew what a gruelling match that was for both Berdych and Murray, it really should've been postponed. However Andy managed to do it in difficult circumstances and I hope now he can finish the job on Monday.

My mum shouted out 'Mafia' when the Djokovic v Ferrer match got postponed - she really doesn't like Djokovic at all and thought he pulled a few strings to get it cancelled today!!

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 2850
Page:   <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Tennis - WIMBLEDON 2012 Page: <<   < prev  93 94 [95] 96 97   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI