Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Andrew Murray

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Andrew Murray Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Andrew Murray - 23/1/2007 10:13:54 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob
Maturity has little to do with it. Keca said he was our man, I just disagreed.  Why is he my man if he doesn't represent me?

Didn't realise I was being quite so contraversial - sorry! I was basing it on the fact that he plays for Britain in the Davis Cup, is therefore clearly classified as British, and I'm British... Therefore I was considering him to be the British people's man, and the 'our' applied to all the Brits on here - I don't know if that includes you or not!

Quite gutted he lost, but he did so much better than I expected him to at the start of the match! Pretty exciting to see him sticking with Nadal until the 5th set, and the way he mixed up his shots was a lot better than in the past - I think Gilbert has had a lot to do with that.

Dont stress is kecc's, some people just like to get their backs up, we all knew what you meant.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 91
RE: Andrew Murray - 23/1/2007 10:57:02 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: theram05

quote:

quote:

Maturity has little to do with it. Keca said he was our man, I just disagreed.  Why is he my man if he doesn't represent me?

Didn't realise I was being quite so contraversial - sorry! I was basing it on the fact that he plays for Britain in the Davis Cup, is therefore clearly classified as British, and I'm British... Therefore I was considering him to be the British people's man, and the 'our' applied to all the Brits on here - I don't know if that includes you or not!

Quite gutted he lost, but he did so much better than I expected him to at the start of the match! Pretty exciting to see him sticking with Nadal until the 5th set, and the way he mixed up his shots was a lot better than in the past - I think Gilbert has had a lot to do with that.

Dont stress is kecc's, some people just like to get their backs up, we all knew what you meant.

and some people like to score cheep points at every available opportunity.

The point that I have been making which has been ignored is that when we refer to him as British we get the Jocks in uproar as he is apparently Scottish. He himself has even said he considers himself Scottish and not British. Therefore he doesn't represent anyone who isn't Scottish.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 92
RE: Andrew Murray - 23/1/2007 11:08:44 AM   
theram05

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The point that I have been making which has been ignored is that when we refer to him as British we get the Jocks in uproar as he is apparently Scottish. He himself has even said he considers himself Scottish and not British. Therefore he doesn't represent anyone who isn't Scottish.

Yet plays for Britain in the Davis Cup.

Right.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 93
RE: Andrew Murray - 23/1/2007 11:34:01 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yet plays for Britain in the Davis Cup.

Right.

Yes he plays for Britain in the Davis Cup but says he doesn't represent Britain. Gregg played davis cup and he isn't British either. It's like saying Tony Cascarino is Irish, oh hold on a second.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 94
RE: Andrew Murray - 23/1/2007 11:45:30 AM   
theram05

quote:

Yes he plays for Britain in the Davis Cup but says he doesn't represent Britain. Gregg played davis cup and he isn't British either. It's like saying Tony Cascarino is Irish, oh hold on a second.

Poor ol Toeknee, he really thought it for a while too until he found out his Dad wasn't his real Dad when he went lookin for a passport in his mid 20's, that musta been tough to hear I'll bet.

Who's Gregg? Is he the Canadian tennis player Greg Rusedski? Yea he was one of the many Canadians who wanted to be British, Lennox Lewis anybody?

In fairness to Andrew, at least the chap is British. I adimire him for saying he's Scottish first and British second, thats exactly how it should be.

Post #: 95
RE: Andrew Murray - 23/1/2007 11:54:14 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

But Murray is quite anti-English which is a bit of a gib when you consider it is mainly English money that pays for his coach. Plus he has said that he doesn't consider himself British at all.

I'm your huckleberry...

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 96
RE: Andrew Murray - 23/1/2007 12:09:42 PM   
theram05

But is being anti English the same as being anti British, I don't think so.

Post #: 97
RE: Andrew Murray - 23/1/2007 12:13:09 PM   
keca_2000

quote:

But Murray is quite anti-English which is a bit of a gib when you consider it is mainly English money that pays for his coach. Plus he has said that he doesn't consider himself British at all.

To be honest Bob, if he was that adamant he wasn't British then I doubt he'd be playing for the British Davis Cup team. Why can't people be Scottish and British? Everyone who's British is something else as well! I'd consider myself English and British. I don't think the two have to be mutually exclusive.

Even if British didn't exist and he was just Scottish, I'd still quite merrily cheer him on and call him 'our man' anyway, the 'our' would just refer to the fact he was the guy I was supporting.

I believe in only using my powers when the situation demands it.

Post #: 98
RE: Andrew Murray - 24/1/2007 11:38:56 AM   
HIM

Looks like the Murray match took a hell of a lot out of Nadal. He's about to go out in straight sets! Or maybe he's just not in good form at the moment? Which means Murray's performance was not as good as we first thought and he was simply up against an out of sorts Nadal?

To be honest I think it might be a little of both, but mostly the former. I don't think Nadal was at his best against Murray but he certainly didn't play badly and Murray was outstanding. But that five setter (going on for 3 hrs 50mins) had to have taken a lot out of Rafa.

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 99
RE: Andrew Murray - 24/1/2007 12:12:07 PM   
keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

Looks like the Murray match took a hell of a lot out of Nadal. He's about to go out in straight sets! Or maybe he's just not in good form at the moment? Which means Murray's performance was not as good as we first thought and he was simply up against an out of sorts Nadal?

To be honest I think it might be a little of both, but mostly the former. I don't think Nadal was at his best against Murray but he certainly didn't play badly and Murray was outstanding. But that five setter (going on for 3 hrs 50mins) had to have taken a lot out of Rafa.

I thought Rafa played great against Murray - he had to given the Scot's form! He just never really showed up today. Gonzo played some amazing tennis and is in fine form, but he made Nadal look poor, and I don't think he could do that by himself.  It's weird though 'cos you kind of expect Nadal to just go on and on and not get tired out. Perhaps he was mentally worn out by the Murray match, rather than just physically.

Am sad he's out in any case  Imagine how gutted he'll be if Roddick beats Federer? If that happens, he would've had a very good chance of taking the title...

What does everyone think of Roddick v Federer? It's an interesting match up. Andy's in great form at the moment and his confidence must be high going in, knowing that he's beaten Roger once already this year. On the other hand, it's Federer in a grand slam semi-final - would you really bet against him?

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 100
RE: Andrew Murray - 24/1/2007 1:56:45 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Nadal Lost! Bloody hell. I hope Roddick beats Federer simply because the guy has some personality and is good for tennis - plus he has re-invented himself after being labelled as nothing more than a slogger so he deserves some reward.

That said Federer is still the man - old school skill with new school power, what a player. I hope he overtakes Sampras's grandslam record

EDIT : As for the Murray anti-English thing, I think he has said things he regrets especially considering he must know by now how many people root for him in England.

Plus he will fight side by side with the likes of Henman in the Davis Cup so we can let him off, and I would be suprised if he came out with any more anti-English statements.

< Message edited by Fluke Skywalker -- 24/1/2007 2:00:52 PM >

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 101
RE: Andrew Murray - 24/1/2007 5:31:49 PM   
Johnny P

All the so-called anti-English stuff was taken completely out of context and blown out of proportion with the news reports missing out things - for example the original anti-English jibe was directed jokingly at Tim Henman in relation to the England football team (which lets face it are looking even less convincing than Scotland in recent months) who responded in kind. 

If he plays for Britain then he is representing Britain whether anyone likes it or not, himself included.  And that includes those who presumably class themselves as English but not British.      

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 102
RE: Andrew Murray - 24/1/2007 6:04:56 PM   
Hobbes79

quote:

Where do you get this crap from that he's "anti-English"??? He's nothing of the sort. He made it clear to the US press that he was Scottish and not English, despite them constantly labelling him as such. Does that make him "anti-English"? Of course not. And as for the comments he made about not supporting the English team in the world cup last year, so f**king what. What do you care? Why should you be so touchy? And it hardly qualifies as being "anti-English", yet you consider it acceptable to simply stick a label on someone you seemingly know little about.

Post #: 103
RE: Andrew Murray - 25/1/2007 10:42:26 AM   
keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Nadal Lost! Bloody hell. I hope Roddick beats Federer simply because the guy has some personality and is good for tennis - plus he has re-invented himself after being labelled as nothing more than a slogger so he deserves some reward.

I seconded that sentiment.... unfortunately only to watch the dream go up in flames this morning. What happened to Roddick??? I have a lot of respect for Federer as he's clearly a very talented and awesome player, but I hate sport when there's no competition! That match was ridiculously easy for him, he's going to be fresh as a daisy for the final, and I can't honestly see either Haas or Gonzalez being able to trouble him. BORING.

Post #: 104
Tennis - 25/1/2007 10:44:18 AM   
theram05

Wow, when BBC uses the phrase "thrash" its never good, Federer is awesome...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6297737.stm

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 105
RE: Andrew Murray - 25/1/2007 11:28:16 AM   
BigBadWolf

quote:

Who's Gregg? Is he the Canadian tennis player Greg Rusedski? Yea he was one of the many Canadians who wanted to be British, Lennox Lewis anybody?

In fairness to Andrew, at least the chap is British. I adimire him for saying he's Scottish first and British second, thats exactly how it should be.

Bit of a difference between Lennox and Greg though.  Lewis was born in London, lived here until early childhood then went to Canada at a young age.  He wasn't really in a position to say actually Mum, I think I'll stay here in England just so people don't think I'm waving a flag of convenience.

True he represented Canada at amateur level but he was living there and Britain doesn't have a great history of supporting boxers at the Olympics.  Of course coming back to represent Britain when he turned pro had it's benefits but people didn't take to him in the same way as they did other 'British' boxers.

As for Murray I could care less if he says he represents Britain or not.  I don't get patriotic about such things. 

< Message edited by BigBadWolf -- 25/1/2007 11:29:16 AM >

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 106
RE: Tennis - 25/1/2007 11:31:07 AM   
Fluke Skywalker

Roddick got the type of beating he used to get a couple of years ago when he was completely and utterly under Fed's thumb. I thought the guy was meant to have improved? What a disappointment.

I totally respect Federer for being more than just a powerhouse but I'd like to see someone else win a slam from time to time.

That said I sincerely want him to overhaul Sampras's slam record, mainly because I'd prefer someone who displays the variety of Federer to be on top rather than someone who blasted people off court with his serve (as great as Sampras was that was the key to his game).

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 107
RE: Tennis - 25/1/2007 1:44:22 PM   
keca_2000

quote:

Roddick got the type of beating he used to get a couple of years ago when he was completely and utterly under Fed's thumb. I thought the guy was meant to have improved? What a disappointment.

I totally respect Federer for being more than just a powerhouse but I'd like to see someone else win a slam from time to time.

That said I sincerely want him to overhaul Sampras's slam record, mainly because I'd prefer someone who displays the variety of Federer to be on top rather than someone who blasted people off court with his serve (as great as Sampras was that was the key to his game).

I agree. Outside of the French, it's getting a bit on the dull side with Federer always winning. I mean, he deserves it 'cos he's awesome, but there needs to be some variety in the sport! Then again, it's not his fault if he's pretty much unbeatable. Even the French isn't a guaranteed non-Roger win!

I do think he is a lot more deserving of the Grand Slam total record than Sampras, because he has such flair & his game has so many more dimensions.... but I'm not sure I can take watching him win that many more times....!

Post #: 108
RE: Tennis - 25/1/2007 3:33:59 PM   
LB Jeffries

While the men's side might be incredibly predictable with Federer (and Nadal) dominating, the women's game is becoming more and more interesting. The amount of teenage players emerging to challenge the established stars is incredible. At this years Aussie Open 19-year-old Lucie Safarova beat defending champion Amelie Mauresmo on her way to the quarters, 19-year-old Shahar Peer reaching the quarter-finals and serving for the match against Serena Williams before losing, 19-year-old Anna Chakvetadze reaching the quarters before going out to Sharapova (who's still only 19 herself). The list goes on.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 109
RE: Tennis - 25/1/2007 3:46:49 PM   
Felix

I dont understand why people complain about one person dominating a sport, like Federer is at the moment with tennis. I just glad to be able to watch the sport when there is a player of his quality around.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 110
RE: Tennis - 25/1/2007 4:23:07 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

I dont understand why people complain about one person dominating a sport, like Federer is at the moment with tennis. I just glad to be able to watch the sport when there is a player of his quality around.

It's not a complaint really - I fully appreciate Fed for the genius he is, however sport is about competition and it's not as enjoyable if you know who's gonna win every time.

By the way LB I agree that women's tennis is looking in great shape and has done for a good couple of years. They seem to be consistently producing talented youngsters and it adds to the fun when top players get beaten by unknown up-and-comers.

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 111
RE: Tennis - 26/1/2007 11:59:00 AM   
keca_2000

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

It's not a complaint really - I fully appreciate Fed for the genius he is, however sport is about competition and it's not as enjoyable if you know who's gonna win every time.

Exactly.

Can't believe how much Gonzalez thrashed Haas by.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6301063.stm

Maybe he won't get completely steam-rollered by Federer come the final. Maybe. He won't win though!

Post #: 112
RE: Tennis - 26/1/2007 12:19:39 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

He is playing some great stuff but whether he can topple Federer is another matter.

I predict he will start well but eventually capitulate as the nerves take over

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 113
RE: Tennis - 30/1/2007 10:44:52 AM   
keca_2000

Well, Murray's up to 14th in the world rankings according to yesterday's print out. It's ridiculous how many more points Federer has than everyone else though! Gonzo's gong up to 5th after his run at the Aussie Open. He did play well in the final but it just shows that even when you're playing great tennis, Roger will still beat you in 3 sets and make it look like he wasn't even trying...

Post #: 114
RE: Tennis - 27/2/2007 2:00:07 PM   
keca_2000

Just thought a quick mention was in order for the lesser known Murray brother. Jamie Murray & Eric Butorac won the doubles at Memphis this week, pushing him up to 44 in the World Doubles Rankings. Excellent. Well done them!

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 115
RE: Tennis - 27/2/2007 2:13:39 PM   
LB Jeffries

quote:

Just thought a quick mention was in order for the lesser known Murray brother. Jamie Murray & Eric Butorac won the doubles at Memphis this week, pushing him up to 44 in the World Doubles Rankings. Excellent. Well done them!

Terrific! That's their second tournamount win in a row after winning in San Jose last week when Andy also won. Great news for the Davis Cup team - expect the Murray boys to team up for sure.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 116
RE: Tennis - 27/2/2007 2:16:39 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Andy Murray had a go at the LTA about his brother saying that they let him down in his development. Clearly he is a talented player to snag a doubles title

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 117
RE: Tennis - 27/2/2007 6:32:27 PM   
keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: LB Jeffries

quote:

Terrific! That's their second tournamount win in a row after winning in San Jose last week when Andy also won. Great news for the Davis Cup team - expect the Murray boys to team up for sure.

I would say for definite this time round. Apparently Jamie usually plays with Delgado, but since he's been injured recently, he's teamed up with Eric. In the long term, it'd be great if he & Delgado got used to playing together, and were good enough to cover the Davis Cup doubles, leaving Andy with a rest day. Although part of me does like the sort of poetic element of having brothers playing together

Re: Fluke
Yeah, it does sort of make you wonder what might have been. I think Jamie went to Cambridge to train with the LTA when he was about 15.... 9 months later he went home to Scotland with his confidence in tatters, and didn't pick up a tennis racket again for nearly a year.  No wonder Andy chose to go to Spain to train!

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 118
RE: Tennis - 28/2/2007 4:32:54 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

Yeah, it does sort of make you wonder what might have been. I think Jamie went to Cambridge to train with the LTA when he was about 15.... 9 months later he went home to Scotland with his confidence in tatters, and didn't pick up a tennis racket again for nearly a year.  No wonder Andy chose to go to Spain to train!

Yeah if we have any talented youngsters I would send them to Nick Bollitieri's academy in Florida - I think the number of tennis stars this country has produced over a period of decades speaks volumes about our system.

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 119
RE: Tennis - 1/3/2007 10:33:54 PM   
keca_2000

Alas, I am sad to report our veteran, Mr Henman lost to Feliciano Lopez in the round robin in Las vegas. (No, that's not a casino )

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Andrew Murray Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI