Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Tennis Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> The Tennis Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Tennis Thread - 7/1/2007 1:08:12 PM  1 votes
King_Wah

Can the British tennis star really make an impact on the top ten this year ? He has made a good start.

< Message edited by King_Wah -- 27/2/2007 12:41:24 PM >

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.
Post #: 1
RE: Andrew Murray - 7/1/2007 1:49:34 PM   
LB Jeffries

He'll definately make it into the top 10 this year. Don't forget at the start of last year his ranking was still pretty low so he never got to compete in a lot of the big tournamounts outside of the slams. This year he will, which means he will pick up a shitload of points early on in the season while other players will have a lot of points to defend to maintain their ranking. Getting to the final of Doha yesterday and finishing runner-up will put him into the top 16 and give him a aseeding for the Australian Open in a few weeks, which is huge. He already looks much stronger after spending the winter with Brad Gilbert at Nick Bollitieri's training camp and if it wasn't for a virus he picked up I fancy he would have beaten Lubjicic yesterday to take the title. He still finished runner-up to the World Number 5 and beat World Number 3, Davydenko, on his way to the final. It's going to be a massive year for him and while I'm not sure he can beat Nadal or Federer to a slam this year I think he can definately make the quarters and even a semi.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 2
RE: Andrew Murray - 7/1/2007 2:44:15 PM   
pablohoolio

As a player he's great and has real potential to be a great, if he can just lose the surly teenager routine. As a 'personality' I can't stand him. Arrogant, surly git. I don't mind people being passionate about their sport but he's just a prick.

"It's all.... part of the plan...."

(in reply to LB Jeffries)
Post #: 3
RE: Andrew Murray - 7/1/2007 7:08:28 PM   
*emz6*

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

As a player he's great and has real potential to be a great, if he can just lose the surly teenager routine. As a 'personality' I can't stand him. Arrogant, surly git. I don't mind people being passionate about their sport but he's just a prick.

i agree with this, i enjoy watching him play but i wish he'd cheer up a bit.

(in reply to pablohoolio)
Post #: 4
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 5:16:30 AM   
Private Hudson

He's a winner, that's why he's like that. In golf Nick Faldo was the same. He doesn't give a flying fcuk what people think. His quest and desire is to be No.1.

We should applaud him for it. Oh, and he should have won the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award. He achieved far more than HorseFace or Darren Clarke (who while I like him, the sad passing of your wife should not qualify you for such awards).

If it were down to Personality, Andeeeeeeeeeeeeeee is more interesting than most.

At least he's not Tim Henman (nice chap, loser).

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 5
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 9:32:48 AM   
Peppermint

I'm not sure he can.  Has he improved his stamina at all?

Plus, even if he does get anywhere he's an obnoxious little turd.

"Dr Jackson's gonna die when he sees this."

"What, again?"

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 6
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 10:24:36 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: *emz6*

quote:

ORIGINAL: pablohoolio

i agree with this, i enjoy watching him play but i wish he'd cheer up a bit.

He's a kid, still a teenager, its their preogative to be surly moody gits, give him a break.

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to *emz6*)
Post #: 7
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 10:27:34 AM   
PedroSanchez

He is a miserable prick.

''What business is it of yours where I'm from, friendo?''

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 8
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 10:33:24 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: PedroSanchez

He is a miserable prick.

Which he has every right to be...........

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach, so you get what we had here last week which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

(in reply to PedroSanchez)
Post #: 9
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 11:20:35 AM   
Peppermint

Why has he got every right to be?

"What, again?"

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 10
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 11:24:09 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

Why has he got every right to be?

Well why does he have to be eternally happy? He's a teenager growing up in the media glare, and to boot every fucking British tennis lover is prepared to dump all their hopes on his 19 yo shoulders.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 11
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 11:30:22 AM   
Peppermint

Well, with all due respect he's got to expect that since we haven't had a major win since 1977 and if he can't cope with it then maybe he should go and stack shelves or something.

"What, again?"

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 12
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 11:42:25 AM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: Peppermint

Well, with all due respect he's got to expect that since we haven't had a major win since 1977 and if he can't cope with it then maybe he should go and stack shelves or something.

lol, I love these people who believe that they own a stake in a sportsman such as this. Why should he go stack shelves when he can make quite a nice living from tennis?

He's 19, give him a break.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 13
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 11:55:25 AM   
Peppermint

If he wasn't such an obnoxious little git I wouldn't be saying any of this

I don't think I own a stake in him either, I know enough sulky teenagers, thanks

"What, again?"

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 14
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 1:18:51 PM   
keca_2000

A lot of 19 year old guys aren't the most communicative people in the world - he'll grow out of it. I think underneath it all he's actually got a pretty wicked sense of humour, it just doesn't come across in the media. Going back to the original question, I think that his work with Gilbert in the off season will have improved his stamina and overall strength. He's made a promising start - including getting in some doubles play with his bro, which is excellent news for a possible Davis Cup squad. I reckon he should make it into the top 10 for sure this year, whether he can maintain his place there as the season nears its end and everyone's getting tired remains to be seen. There's such depth in men's tennis atm that it's going to be a very competitive season, outside of Federer & Nadal of course, who I still think will win all the slams between them.

I believe in only using my powers when the situation demands it.

(in reply to Peppermint)
Post #: 15
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 1:28:14 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I don't give a monkey's toss about the way he carries on. We have one of the most talented individuals we have seen in British tennis for god knows how long and people are going on about his personality?

Sort it out - this guy is awesome and once he finally lays his stamina issues to rest he is going to kick the shit out of the tour.

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 16
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 1:38:14 PM   
LB Jeffries

quote:

ORIGINAL: keca_2000

A lot of 19 year old guys aren't the most communicative people in the world - he'll grow out of it. I think underneath it all he's actually got a pretty wicked sense of humour, it just doesn't come across in the media. Going back to the original question, I think that his work with Gilbert in the off season will have improved his stamina and overall strength. He's made a promising start - including getting in some doubles play with his bro, which is excellent news for a possible Davis Cup squad. I reckon he should make it into the top 10 for sure this year, whether he can maintain his place there as the season nears its end and everyone's getting tired remains to be seen. There's such depth in men's tennis atm that it's going to be a very competitive season, outside of Federer & Nadal of course, who I still think will win all the slams between them.

Agreed.
When you see him interviewed away from the tournamounts, during training camp or when he's at home, he's a nice young lad who, shock-horror, dies smile and joke around. A bit quiet and stand-offish at times but like you say, he's a teenager (and Scottish) so what do you expect.
I have to say the reaction of the majority of people responding to this thread hasn't shocked me at all. We really are pretty pathetic in this country, we moan that we never win anything at sport but when someone comes along with incredible talent who has a real chance of winning something in the near future we do nothing but focus on their (percieved) faults.

“When he shall die, take him and cut him out in little stars and he will make the face of heaven so fine that all the world will be in love with night and pay no worship to the garish sun.”

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 17
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 2:51:05 PM   
theram05

quote:

ORIGINAL: LB Jeffries

quote:

ORIGINAL: keca_2000

Agreed.
When you see him interviewed away from the tournamounts, during training camp or when he's at home, he's a nice young lad who, shock-horror, dies smile and joke around. A bit quiet and stand-offish at times but like you say, he's a teenager (and Scottish) so what do you expect.
I have to say the reaction of the majority of people responding to this thread hasn't shocked me at all. We really are pretty pathetic in this country, we moan that we never win anything at sport but when someone comes along with incredible talent who has a real chance of winning something in the near future we do nothing but focus on their (percieved) faults.

Well it must be the Irish in me cos I think he's a fine guy, if he wants to be obnoxious thats his prerogative, but I think its more a result of his still being a kid as opposed to any major hang ups. I look forward to his continued development.

Could any issues with his mannerisms be more to do with his Scottishness than anything else? Tim Henman was loved by the English but lets not forget he had his run ins with the Wimbledom authorites also, just ask that ball girl back in 1995.

Post #: 18
RE: Andrew Murray - 8/1/2007 5:51:13 PM   
Kyle_R_

I think its a shame people give him stick because he doesn't prance about like the happiest kid in the world, he's just a normal young lad that has a gift for tennis! He shouldn't have to change his personality to suite 'fans'. Just look at Rooney, England biggest teenage prospect in lord knows how long, and he was hardly the life and soul of things with a big smile on his face...but I bet he didn't give a shit about that cos he was doing what he loves, and doing it very well.  I would prefer someone to be calm and confident with what they do rather than show off about it.

http://www.last.fm/user/I-Am-Scientist

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 19
RE: Andrew Murray - 10/1/2007 11:06:48 AM   
King_Wah

I have to say i quite like his persona actually. Glad to see he is not a robot.

He beat Lubicic today, te guy who beat him in final last week. He is just getting better. Hope he can carry this momentum in to the Australian Open.

I am big, it's the forum that got smaller.

(in reply to Kyle_R_)
Post #: 20
RE: Andrew Murray - 10/1/2007 12:20:40 PM   
keca_2000

I'm with you there. Really wish Murray'd been playing Federer though, as I reckon he could've beaten him given how much he struggled to beat Stepanek... Now that would've been a great way to start a season! On a slightly related note - really hope Nadal is fit for the Open, having had to pull out of his warm-up tournament

(in reply to King_Wah)
Post #: 21
RE: Andrew Murray - 10/1/2007 12:37:20 PM   
Felix

Surely strength and stamina shouldnt be an issue at 19?! It shows that he's a class tennis player despite Mark Petchey's coaching, not because of it.

You never saw Nadal or Federer using that excuse in their teens.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 22
RE: Andrew Murray - 10/1/2007 12:44:10 PM   
keca_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

You never saw Nadal or Federer using that excuse in their teens.

Fair enough, I guess Nadal is a bit special since he's still only 20 and is one of the strongest players on the tour. But if you think about it, at age 19, Federer was nowhere near the player he is now. He had a temper on him for starters. It wasn't until he calmed down and grew up over the next couple of years that he became the amazing player he is today. So give Murray another couple of years and who knows? He could be just that awesome

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 23
RE: Andrew Murray - 12/1/2007 12:57:14 PM   
keca_2000

Just checked out the latest rankings and I'm loving the Race right now! Murray's joint 2nd and Federer's not even in the top 20.... *sigh* wouldn't it be great if it could carry on that way once everyone's started playing some tournaments...??

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 24
RE: Andrew Murray - 12/1/2007 2:40:26 PM   
LB Jeffries

Australian Open Draw

(1) Roger Federer (Swi) v Bjorn Phau (Ger)
Jonas Bjorkman (Swe) v Olivier Patience (Fra)
Simon Greul (Ger) v Yen-Hsun Lu (Tai)
Jan Hernych (Cze) v (25) Mikhail Youzhny (Rus)
(24) Juan Carlos Ferrero (Spa) v Jan Hajek (Cze)
Danai Udomchoke (Tha) v Martin Vassallo Arguello (Arg)
Feliciano Lopez (Spa) v Qualifier
Nicolas Massu (Chi) v (14) Novak Djokovic (Ser)

(11) Marcos Baghdatis (Cyp) v Rainer Schuettler (Ger)
Gael Monfils (Fra) v Daniele Bracciali (Ita)
Gilles Simon (France) v Amer Delic (US)
Filippo Volandri (Ita) v (18) Richard Gasquet (Fra)
(27) Jose Acasuso (Arg) v Sam Querrey (US)
Florent Serra (Fra) v Nicolas Devilder (Fra)
Ivo Karlovic (Croa) v Juergen Melzer (Aut)
Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo (Spa) v (7) Tommy Robredo (Spa)

(4) Ivan Ljubicic (Cro) v Mardy Fish (US)
Nicolas Mahut (Fra) v Juan Monaco (Arg)
Stefan Koubek (Aut) v Wayne Arthurs (Aut)
Qualifier v (30) Agustin Calleri (Arg)
(20) Radek Stepanek (Cze) v Michael Llodra (Fra)
Lukas Dlouhy (Cze) v Qualifier
Thomas Johansson (Swe) v Qualifier
Kristian Pless (Den) v (16) David Ferrer (Spa)

(9) Mario Ancic (Cro) v Go Soeda (Jpn)
Joachim Johansson (Swe) v Guillermo Garcia-Lopez (Spa)
Vincent Spadea (US) v Igor Andreev (Rus)
Jiri Vanek (Cze) v (22) Dominik Hrbaty (Svk)
(26) Marat Safin (Rus) v Benjamin Becker (Ger)
Qualifier v Paradorn Srichaphan (Tha)
Marc Gicquel (Fra) v Alun Jones (Aus)
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (Fra) v (6) Andy Roddick (US)

(8) David Nalbandian (Arg) v Janko Tipsarevic (Ser)
Qualifier v Nicolas Lapentti (Ecu)
Chris Guccione (Aus) v Olivier Rochus (Bel)
Christophe Rochus (Bel) v (28) Sebastien Grosjean (Fra)
(23) Robin Soderling (Swe) v Florian Mayer (Ger)
Andreas Seppi (Ita) v Qualifier
Qualifier v Qualifier
Albert Montanes (Spa) v (12) Tommy Haas (Ger)

(13) Tomas Berdych (Cze) v Lee Hyung-taik (Kor)
Qualifier v Robert Smeets (Aus)
Max Mirnyi (Blr) v Luis Horna (Per)
Qualifier v (21) Dmitry Tursunov (Rus)
(29) Xavier Malisse (Bel) v Arnaud Clement (Fra)
Fabrice Santoro (Fra) v Igor Kunitsyn (Rus)
Gilles Muller (Lux) v Gaston Gaudio (Arg)
Sergio Roitman (Arg) v (3) Nikolay Davydenko (Rus)

(5) James Blake (US) v Carlos Moya (Spa)
Peter Luczak (Australia) v Qualifier
Qualifier v Qualifier
Robby Ginepri (US) v (32) Nicolas Almagro (Spa)
(19) Lleyton Hewitt (Aus) v Qualifier
Frank Dancevic (Can) v Victor Hanescu (Rom)
Juan Martin del Potro (Arg) v Alessio di Mauro (Ita)
Evgeny Korolev (Rus) v (10) Fernando Gonzalez (Chi)

(15) Andy Murray (GB) v Alberto Martin (Spa)
Fernando Verdasco (Spa) v Paul-Henri Mathieu (Fra)
Juan Ignacio Chela (Arg) v Potito Starace (Ita)
Paul Goldstein (US) v (17) Jarkko Nieminen (Fin)
(31) Stanislas Wawrinka (Swi) v Kevin Kim (US)
Julien Benneteau (Fra) v Qualifier
Kristof Vliegen (Bel) v Philipp Kohlschreiber (Ger)
Robert Kendrick (US) v (2) Rafael Nadal (Spa)

Not a bad draw for Murray, I would expect him to get to the 4th Round where he will potentially play Nadal. If Nadal's injury is fully healed and he can get through the first few rounds with his lack of match practice he should be hitting somewhere near top form by the time he faces Murray. i can't really see Murray winning that one but you never know!
Also in Murray's half of the draw are Nalbandian, Haas, Davydenko, Blake, Moya and Hewitt with the pick of the 1st Round ties Blake v Moya.

Just a thought, can we maybe change the title of this thread to make it the official tennis thread or something as i don't think we have one.

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 25
RE: Andrew Murray - 15/1/2007 11:36:02 AM   
keca_2000

There's not an official tennis thread? Oh for shame! Yes, make it so. I would, but not being the greatest technical expert, I'm not entirely sure how...

Yep, not the easiest of draws for Murray, but a good draw in that there are some decent competitors who he should be able to beat and that will help him improve his form. If it was too easy by the time he hits (probably) Nadal he wouldn't be ready. I know what you mean about not rating his chances in that one. Weirdly, I really do think he has more chance against Federer than Nadal. Am also a bit of a Nadal fan, so I will feel a bit bad having to hope for his destruction...! But in the name of British tennis I shall do my duty!

Post #: 26
RE: Andrew Murray - 15/1/2007 11:41:34 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

Pm Wah and ask him to do it

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 27
RE: Andrew Murray - 16/1/2007 10:43:25 AM   
keca_2000

Wow. I believe Senor Martin just got his ass handed to him  6-0 6-0 6-1

Shame he couldn't quite make the triple bagel, but Murray looks to be in fine form. Hurrah!

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 28
RE: Andrew Murray - 22/1/2007 10:22:44 AM   
keca_2000

I feel a little as though I'm talking to myself here....

Does anyone think Murray will actually beat Nadal today? The BBC website reckons Nadal is the 'marginal favourite' going in.... much as I would like that to be true, I'm inclined to believe that 'totally overwhelming favourite' would be more accurate!

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 29
RE: Andrew Murray - 22/1/2007 10:40:22 AM   
Hooch0959

I'm undecided, have been on the betting site twice already this morning, liked Murray's odds, but kept my money in my pocket.

So I suppose, I don't believe he'll win enough to put my money where my mouth is

"Stand away from those stern cleats! Back home we get a taxidermy man, he's gonna have a heart attack when he sees what I brung him!"

"I have a gift for disaster"

(in reply to keca_2000)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> The Tennis Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI