Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

New Flash Gordon Series Planned

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> New Flash Gordon Series Planned Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 7/1/2007 10:01:03 AM   
Timon

Flash! Flash, I love you but we only have fourteen hours to save the Earth!

That's right, everyone's favourite quarterback for the NY Jets could be back!

Currently being developed by SciFi Channel under a cloak of secrecy is a new television series based on the classic comic book character created by Alex Raymond, Flash Gordon. Despite critical acclaim, SciFi's stellar Battlestar Galactica re-imagination has had continued ratings erosion which network honchos believe may be attributable to the show's dark tone. It has been known for awhile that SciFi has been looking to develop "lighter” properties in the vein of their Stargate series, although it is expected that Flash Gordon will have a far more serious tone than the campy 1980 film starring Sam Jones, Melody Anderson, Timothy Dalton, Max Van Sydow and Topol.

The original comic adventures followed the adventures of Flash along with his companions Dr. Hans Zarkov and Dale Arden who find themselves on the planet Mongo after traveling on Zarkov's rocket ship and interceding in the politics of the planet Mongo ruled by an iron fist by the evil Emperor Ming the Merciless. Originally adapted as a series of serials starring Buster Crabbe (who also played Buck Rogers), Flash Gordon was previously a short-lived TV series in 1954 starring Steve Holland. The film was subsequently adapted as a critically reviled 1980 feature film, incomprehensibly directed by Get Carter's Mike Hodges, as well as a surprisingly well-done serialized animated series by Filmation in 1979 (currently available on BCI/Eclipse DVD). Van Helsing's Steven Sommers was attached to a big-budget feature version of the property, but after the failure of Van Helsing, little more was ever heard about that project.

While there is no firm commitment to move forward, SciFI is currently meeting with showrunners (these are the veteran talent in the TV trade that oversee the writing staff and develop the property for television) to create a series bible for the show and write the pilot script. Contingent upon the pilot, SciFi would then greenlight 13 episodes. It is not expected that the series would air until at least January 2008 at the earliest.

I like the ideal of it being a tv show as last I heard Stephen Sommers was trying to get his mitts on the franchise.

< Message edited by Timon -- 7/1/2007 11:10:20 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 7/1/2007 11:03:43 AM   
Cuchulainn

Excellent.Hopefully the new Flash will be more

than

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 8/1/2007 11:51:42 AM   
Captain Black

quote:

That's right, everyone's favourite quarterback for the NY Jets could be back!

Who, Joe Namath?!  

quote:

It has been known for awhile that SciFi has been looking to develop "lighter” properties in the vein of their Stargate series,

What? Like the one they cancelled directly after making a big deal of its 200th episode? But I digress.....
I guess after the (critical at least) success of Galactica I assumed they may have gone for a Buck Rogers update. Nevertheless Flash is certainly a bigger brand name and potentially easier to update. Could be really good if (with emphasis) they get the tone right, I'd particularly like to see them do some highly elaborate cliffhangers with some cap doffage to the old serials.

quote:

Van Helsing's Steven Sommers was attached to a big-budget feature version of the property, but after the failure of Van Helsing, little more was ever heard about that project.

*Breathes sigh of relief.*

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 3
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 8/1/2007 11:52:28 AM   
nicholsonsmhead

Don't tell Brian Blessed, for fucks sake!

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 4
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 8/1/2007 1:31:10 PM   
Brundlesflies

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicholsonsmhead

Gordon's Aliiiiive!?!

"The Daily Mail isn't technically a newspaper, more a serialised Necronomicon." C. Brooker
My DVD's

(in reply to nicholsonsmhead)
Post #: 5
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 16/1/2007 2:36:34 PM   
Timon

Bumped in relation to Wedge's thread. Flash Gordon is getting reimagined! Give it time and Buck Rogers will to.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Brundlesflies)
Post #: 6
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 16/1/2007 2:40:40 PM   
Wedge

Huzzar!

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 16/1/2007 3:09:01 PM   
Base

quote:

What are you talking about?!?!?  Don't even bother making it if you can't get Brian Blessed!!!!  And Timothy Dalton!!!!!  And Queen have to do the soundtrack (and hopefully stop whoring themselves to appearing with shite boybands!!!)... 

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to nicholsonsmhead)
Post #: 8
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 16/1/2007 3:15:00 PM   
Wedge

I wander if they'll go retro with this or try and go for modern realism a la Battlestar Galactica?  Retro would be great, set in the 1930 perhaps, but something tells me they'd just cocked it up.

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 9
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 16/1/2007 3:42:49 PM   
Spartacus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

quote:

What are you talking about?!?!?  Don't even bother making it if you can't get Brian Blessed!!!!  And Timothy Dalton!!!!!  And Queen have to do the soundtrack (and hopefully stop whoring themselves to appearing with shite boybands!!!)... 

As good as that would be there may be a slight problem getting Queen to do the soundtrack. No, I don't care if they have found another lead singer it's just not fucking Queen.

The Emperor... wants to conquer outer space. Yoda... wants to explore inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the light and dark side of the force.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 10
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 16/1/2007 3:44:48 PM   
nicholsonsmhead

If they don't get Dalton, they could at least have "Freeze, you bloody bastards!" in the script.  Surely the one of the worst bits of tough guy posturing ever.

'Does the codename 'Sapphire' mean anything to you?'

'Hey, what if we cross-circuit the accelerator? Might give us more er...er, ohms or something.'

'Hi, I'm Max Keller. I'm a seagull.'

(in reply to Spartacus)
Post #: 11
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 16/1/2007 4:11:48 PM   
Base

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spartacus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

quote:

As good as that would be there may be a slight problem getting Queen to do the soundtrack. No, I don't care if they have found another lead singer it's just not fucking Queen.

No problem, use the original Flash song for the main theme and have Brian and Roger do all of the instrumental music

< Message edited by Base -- 16/1/2007 4:12:20 PM >

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to Spartacus)
Post #: 12
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 17/1/2007 12:33:17 PM   
wombathog

don't forget Peter Duncan with a splat of snot on his wrist

'Would you mind dear sir if I asked you a question, If music be the food of love are you the indigestion?'

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 13
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 17/1/2007 5:59:11 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Give it time and Buck Rogers will to.

But will it be the disco dancing Gil Gerard of the Buck Rogers in the 25th Century fame.

HERE

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 13/4/2007 5:00:12 PM   
Timon

A couple of details on SciFi’s upcoming “Flash Gordon” series, from a recent story in The Hollywood Reporter:

* Despite earlier reports that suggested Chris Showerman (“George of the Jungle 2”) was up for the title role, it’s actually Eric Johnson – who played Lana’s jock boyfriend Whitney in the first season of “Smallville” – who will play Flash.

* More importantly, former “Charmed” writer/supervising producer Peter Hume – whose other credits include “Relic Hunter” and “South Beach” - has written the first two hours, so one assumes he will serve also as showrunner.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 15
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 13/4/2007 5:09:02 PM   
Joedini

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

A couple of details on SciFi's upcoming "Flash Gordon” series, from a recent story in The Hollywood Reporter:

* Despite earlier reports that suggested Chris Showerman ("George of the Jungle 2”) was up for the title role, it's actually Eric Johnson – who played Lana's jock boyfriend Whitney in the first season of "Smallville” – who will play Flash.

* More importantly, former "Charmed” writer/supervising producer Peter Hume – whose other credits include "Relic Hunter” and "South Beach” - has written the first two hours, so one assumes he will serve also as showrunner.

That doesn't fill me with too much hope. Actually neither does the inclusion of Whitney wlthough I guess he has the right look. I thought they were going to go with Marissa's season 1 boyfriend Luke from The O.C

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 13/4/2007 5:28:15 PM   
Rgirvan44

After watching Hot Fuzz Dalton would make a great Ming....

They do need the Queen song in there - its captures that universe perfectly. Now all they need is a decent writing staff. Im not looking for a Battlestar style show but something bright and big - an old style Space Opera.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Joedini)
Post #: 17
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 13/4/2007 5:33:03 PM   
furrybastard

This show has a lot of potential to be great fun. Like a souped up Farscape or something 

Though having a writer from Charmed is not going to work in its favour.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 18
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 13/4/2007 9:27:34 PM   
sanchia

So the new Flash is going to be this bloke then?

I hope he looks a bit different now.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to furrybastard)
Post #: 19
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 13/4/2007 10:03:29 PM   
Shifty Bench

A link to his IMDB page- click he does look different now

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 20
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 14/4/2007 11:53:38 PM   
Timon

Apparantly the series has been green lit for 22 episodes and Ming, Dale Arden and Dr. Hans Zarkov will all be in it.

Now they just need to get this man in it to reprise his most famous role and it'll be awesome.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 21
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 15/4/2007 5:33:18 PM   
danbo1138

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuchulainn

Excellent.Hopefully the new Flash will be more

than

dude i'm hurt....i love that movie and t shirt...........i'll get my coat

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

(in reply to Cuchulainn)
Post #: 22
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 14/6/2007 5:32:21 AM   
Orbital

Can't say I'm thrilled with the cast, hopefully Bonnie Hammer will stay the fuck away from the show and allow the creators/writers do their work

Usually anything with the name scifi-channel behind it has been know for their abysmal ratings, or flopped B-movies

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 23
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 14/6/2007 1:55:18 PM   
princessa

I am really looking forward to this - hope it is good...

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 24
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 14/6/2007 2:01:27 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orbital

Can't say I'm thrilled with the cast, hopefully Bonnie Hammer will stay the fuck away from the show and allow the creators/writers do their work

Usually anything with the name scifi-channel behind it has been know for their abysmal ratings, or flopped B-movies

Gee...I wonder what show you had in mind with this little comment....

As long as they remember that a show called Flash Gordon cannot be dark and brooding it should be good fun. I would guess the chances of seeing Hawkmen will be rather limited due to budget.

Am I right in hearing Flash won't even have a rocketship? That would be rather crappy.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 25
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 14/6/2007 2:55:59 PM   
vernieboy

quote:

You're a right little ray of sunshine aren't you

I must admit having some trepidation towards this but there is a wealth of stuff that can be used with the storylines hopefully though they won't completely pull apart the preconceptions of Flash's origins. Fingers crossed could turn out to be a great fun new series

"Nothing's worse than having an itch you can never scratch."

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 26
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 15/6/2007 5:54:24 AM   
Orbital

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It could be any movie/series Tighlon fanboy,
and just because I say skiffy produced rubbish I'm not just talking about the poor ratings on that series by RonMoore/Eick

From the scipedia :
quote:

Skiffy is a derogatory term in science fiction fandom. Roughly defined, skiffy may be considered that which gives science fiction a bad name.
It is used to refer to patently bad, low-quality works that try to pass themselves off as science fiction. Most in fandom deride the poor quality of skiffy as one of the main reasons why mainstream media views science fiction works as a lesser genre in literature and not to be taken seriously.
The word "skiffy" itself is the result of a purposeful mispronunciation of the term, "sci fi"; a reflection of those unfamiliar with the traditions and quality tenants of well-crafted science fiction who try to create sci fi in a poorly thought-out way.

Here's a list of skiffy produced stuff that flopped, got ripped by fans or came out with v poor ratings

Ice Spiders
Dune the tv series
Pumandpkinhead: Blood Feud
Dragon Fighter
Species part 3
Cube 2: Hypercube
Alien Apocalypse
Snakehead Terror
RonMoore's nu-BSG
Pain Killer Jayne

With a little googling I'm sure the list could go into the hundreds

Anyhow I'm a fan of the old flashgordon series and comicstrip and even enjoyed that 80s movie, I just have a bad feeling now that skiffy got the rights to the show and hope Bonnie Hammer stays the hell away from it and let's some good writers/directors get on with their creative work. From the list of cast members this series does not look too promising

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 15/6/2007 11:55:28 AM   
HIM

If this Flash Gordan remake does go ahead surely they'll have to change the name of planet Mongo so as not to offened any div kids.

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 28
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 15/6/2007 8:50:45 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It could be any movie/series Tighlon fanboy,
and just because I say skiffy produced rubbish I'm not just talking about the poor ratings on that series by RonMoore/Eick

From the scipedia :
quote:

Skiffy is a derogatory term in science fiction fandom. Roughly defined, skiffy may be considered that which gives science fiction a bad name.
It is used to refer to patently bad, low-quality works that try to pass themselves off as science fiction. Most in fandom deride the poor quality of skiffy as one of the main reasons why mainstream media views science fiction works as a lesser genre in literature and not to be taken seriously.
The word "skiffy" itself is the result of a purposeful mispronunciation of the term, "sci fi"; a reflection of those unfamiliar with the traditions and quality tenants of well-crafted science fiction who try to create sci fi in a poorly thought-out way.

Here's a list of skiffy produced stuff that flopped, got ripped by fans or came out with v poor ratings

Ice Spiders
Dune the tv series
Pumandpkinhead: Blood Feud
Dragon Fighter
Species part 3
Cube 2: Hypercube
Alien Apocalypse
Snakehead Terror
RonMoore's nu-BSG
Pain Killer Jayne

With a little googling I'm sure the list could go into the hundreds

Anyhow I'm a fan of the old flashgordon series and comicstrip and even enjoyed that 80s movie, I just have a bad feeling now that skiffy got the rights to the show and hope Bonnie Hammer stays the hell away from it and let's some good writers/directors get on with their creative work. From the list of cast members this series does not look too promising

Nice try there but Dune was one of the highest view shows on sci fi when it was shown. No idea about the rest but considering the amount of research you did there I ain't going to bother (and before you ask I am a fan of Dune and knew that info already)

Oh and calling me fanboy - that was a deep burn. Would rather love something than be obbessed with telling people how bad I think something  is. I have told you I don't think the show is prefect in another thread - maybe you were too busy making lists and graphs to notice?

About calling the planet Mongo - I read on Aintitcoola spy report that mentioned the planet will still be called this - maybe its just in the UK where the name might be a little awkard?

(in reply to Orbital)
Post #: 29
RE: New Flash Gordon Series Planned - 21/6/2007 9:16:00 AM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wedge

I wander if they'll go retro with this or try and go for modern realism a la Battlestar Galactica?  Retro would be great, set in the 1930 perhaps, but something tells me they'd just cocked it up.

Here's your answer....um.....

More pics - http://www.scifi.com/flashgordon/gallery/index.php?p=0&cat=episodic

So far, so Smallville....

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> New Flash Gordon Series Planned Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI