Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/12/2009 7:00:34 PM   
Dr Lenera

Not much more I can add to how brilliant this film is, from the dialogue to the action to the characters, pure film making magic. If it's not Leone's best film, it's certainly his most entertaining. My wife who had never seen it except in bits, was watching it with me and she said "this is wierd, there's lots of nothing happening but lots of stuff IS happening during that". In her wierd way of describing it, I think that actually sums up a great deal of Leone's style!

I've never been that enthralled with the extra scenes myself though. They are good and nice to have [especially the longer desert sequence] , but Eastwood and Wallach sound so different how they are much older, they kind of take me out of the film. Oddly enough the guy who dubbeed Lee Van Cleef's voice sounds just like the way he did to me!

No Bill I'm not converted to Blu Ray yet either, I've read about quite a few poor or tampered-with Blu Ray transfers which puts me off as well as there doesn't seem enough difference between it and DVD to me, but maybe one day.............

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 61
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 5/12/2009 9:31:31 PM   
Snake-Eyes

"What did he tell you?!"

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 62
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 19/1/2010 7:21:36 AM   
Snake-Eyes

TUCO: "'See you soon Id... Idi...'"

BLONDIE: "'Idiots.' It's for you."

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 63
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 31/1/2010 9:02:29 PM   
jabscab

I agree The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a great film and one of my top five best films in my collection, the score is truly great and i still get the same feeling hearing "Ecstasy of Gold" now as i did when i first heard it

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 64
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 4/2/2010 9:24:09 AM   
Snake-Eyes

My REGION A blu-ray is on the way....

(in reply to jabscab)
Post #: 65
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 4/2/2010 1:54:28 PM   
coolstar

Lucky You

I am going Deep Deep undercover

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 66
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 9/2/2010 10:49:24 AM   
Snake-Eyes

I've just started watching the blu-ray (with Sir Christopher Frayling's commentary) Looks AWESOME!

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 67
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 16/2/2010 9:12:55 PM   
Snake-Eyes

So, I've now watched my GBU blu-ray about three times and I must say the transfer is absolutely gorgeous. Sir Christopher Frayling's commentary is a brilliant, enthusiastic insight into the many anecdotes on the making of the film. I urge any true fan to snare this one.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 68
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 18/5/2010 8:57:05 AM   
Snake-Eyes

"Is that fake too? Bill Carson's name's written in it."

It's a really tense scene even when I watch it now 'cos the audience knows that Tuco's gonna get it.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 69
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 18/5/2010 9:26:28 PM   
coolstar

A fantastic film from start to finish

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 70
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 23/5/2010 8:24:48 PM   
Snake-Eyes

NOT from the Snake-Eyes Collection!

I mean, they are kinda cute but these 'Mini-Mates' Toys get a little fidgety - I used to collect LEGO and KUBRICKS and the likes of but gave it all up. I wish NECA or MEZCO would get their hands on the GBU licence and made some cool, ultra-detailed action figures.

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 71
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 27/5/2010 8:10:42 PM   
Snake-Eyes

"You wanna enlist? Hmmm...?"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 72
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 28/5/2010 1:34:36 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

"You wanna enlist? Hmmm...?"

Out on Blu Ray soon i've been reading,this will make it my 4 version of this classic.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 73
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 28/5/2010 1:44:18 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

Out on Blu Ray soon i've been reading,this will make it my 4 version of this classic.

The blu-ray is AWESOME bill - you MUST liten to Frayling's commentary.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 74
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 29/5/2010 10:41:59 PM   
ValJester

quote:

NOT from the Snake-Eyes Collection!

I mean, they are kinda cute but these 'Mini-Mates' Toys get a little fidgety - I used to collect LEGO and KUBRICKS and the likes of but gave it all up. I wish NECA or MEZCO would get their hands on the GBU licence and made some cool, ultra-detailed action figures.

WANT

I have the hands of an artist and the soul of a poet, but they have to be returned Tuesday

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 75
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 29/5/2010 10:54:29 PM   
juanvasquez

I'm Sky plus-ing this as it's showing on Monday, on Sky Showcase, which seems to be having a Clint Eastwood day including For A Few Dollars More (which I've also set up on the planner) and Gran Torino, which I thought was excellent.

It's showing in HD too, so hoping it's a proper transfer rather just an upscale.

Really in the mood for some spaghetti westerns after playing loads of Read Dead Redemption!

Hopefully won't disappoint. I enjoyed A Fistful Of Dollars and by all accounts this is even better, so I look forward to it. Just hope I find the time to watch it sometime soon!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to ValJester)
Post #: 76
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/6/2010 5:04:07 PM   
redpaw

Hi. Thought I'd join in this thread. Been playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption lately and the game made me want to watch TGTBATU again -- hadn't seen it for a few years. Though I still prefer OUATITW (one of my favourite films of all time), this is still a great film. One of the great things this film has going for it that todays films will never again be able to replicate, is the epic scope; the size, production and length versus the story, which here, is SO simple -- just three guys on a quest for burried treasure who get caught up in the Civil War. And that's the beauty of it; it's simplicity. There seems to be this subconcious urge in todays films that if a film runs over say two hours, then the story has to be complex enough to be worthy of that length. And with the extra scenes (though I'm still not fully aware of what they are), this is a MAMOTH movie.

Like I said though; still prefer OUATITW. Even though there's a lot more going on with this one and doesn't have the simplicity as TGTBATU, I just find WEST more appealing. It's like a farewell poem to the Mythic West; to a fairtale land long forgotten. And even though I'm a guy and love the outright guy-ness of UGLY, I like that there's a strong female presence in this film. It just makes it more interesting.

From what I've read, there seems to be no mention of Rio Bravo on here. Since we're comparing other Westerns I'd thought it worth bringing up. I personally prefer the Spaghetti Westerns, but for me, this is definately the best of the American Western - never really got into The Searchers.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 77
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/6/2010 5:48:36 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Glad to see there's still a lotta love for this classic. I also prefer Spaghetti Westerns to the American-made films. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is indeed a very different type of film, the beginning of what Leone called his 'Making of America' Trilogy, followed by DUCK, YOU SUCKER! and ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA. All of his films are absolute masterpieces but GBU stands as my all-time favourite.

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 78
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/6/2010 6:07:35 PM   
redpaw

quote:

Glad to see there's still a lotta love for this classic. I also prefer Spaghetti Westerns to the American-made films. ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is indeed a very different type of film, the beginning of what Leone called his 'Making of America' Trilogy, followed by DUCK, YOU SUCKER! and ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA. All of his films are absolute masterpieces but GBU stands as my all-time favourite.

What I love about these films is, at least in the Leone ones, they're not so much about violence, rather the moments leading up to the violence. When all said and done, that's what these films are about, and that's what I like about them. And while there are a lot of these set-pieces to the violence- Angel Eyes' arrival at the beginning is my fav- there just seems to be more in WEST, and better staged too. Like the opening sequence at the station- "Did ya bring a horse for me?" - classic!

Love that line in UGLY though- (Blondie tuts) "Such ungratitude for all the times I've saved your life!"- or something like that. Just makes my wanna wrap my hallway rug around my shoulders and chew on a cigar!

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 79
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/6/2010 6:35:19 PM   
evil bill

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: evil bill

The blu-ray is AWESOME bill - you MUST liten to Frayling's commentary.

Your right it is awesome,now i've got it on three formats,but hey it's such a classic,it's worth every penny or pound as it turns out.Favorite scene is still the cemetery show down,great music great film making.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 3/6/2010 7:52:52 PM >

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 80
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 7:18:11 PM   
Snake-Eyes

Sitting here at work on this unbelievably quiet Sunday Evening (I'm basically getting paid overtime to do NOTHING), I'm listening to Morricone's majestic 'Ecstasy of Gold'... it makes me feel POWERFUL!! 

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 81
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 7:31:44 PM   
Snake-Eyes

My God, I LOVE THIS FILM! There are many, many films that I absolutely adore but this.... I dunno man, it's my 'Desert Island Film'! I wanna be buried with my dvd, blu-ray, posters, soundtrack CD and novelisation! I can (and do) watch it over and over and over again.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Now I think of it, I wanna be buried AT SAD HILL CEMETERY in a grave marked UNKNOWN right beside ARCH STANTON!  I often joke with my best mate whenever he tells me about some lame new film he's seen - perfect example, today he was telling me about KICK-ASS which he saw recently, going on about Nic Cage being quite good, the little girl stealing the show and using the 'C' word, it was quite violent blah, blah, blah.... I just stared him in the face blankly and asked (rather unfairly) "Is it better than MY film?" (he knew what I meant) and he just shook his head and grumbled "I don't even know why I bother!" 

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY = SINGLE GREATEST FILM IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 13/6/2010 7:33:39 PM >

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 82
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 9:35:37 PM   
coolstar

quote:

My God, I LOVE THIS FILM! There are many, many films that I absolutely adore but this.... I dunno man, it's my 'Desert Island Film'! I wanna be buried with my dvd, blu-ray, posters, soundtrack CD and novelisation! I can (and do) watch it over and over and over again.

HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Now I think of it, I wanna be buried AT SAD HILL CEMETERY in a grave marked UNKNOWN right beside ARCH STANTON!  I often joke with my best mate whenever he tells me about some lame new film he's seen - perfect example, today he was telling me about KICK-ASS which he saw recently, going on about Nic Cage being quite good, the little girl stealing the show and using the 'C' word, it was quite violent blah, blah, blah.... I just stared him in the face blankly and asked (rather unfairly) "Is it better than MY film?" (he knew what I meant) and he just shook his head and grumbled "I don't even know why I bother!" 

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY = SINGLE GREATEST FILM IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a great film untill they made AVATAR

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 83
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 10:38:53 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: coolstar

This was a great film untill they made AVATAR

*edited by ME* - sorry coolstar. I overreacted. you are of course, entitled to your opinion. I just disagree. AVATAR is a great film but it does not compare to this one.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 13/6/2010 10:48:49 PM >

(in reply to coolstar)
Post #: 84
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 10:51:29 PM   
Deviation

Avatar isn't even worthy of being mentioned derogatorily in the same sentence of The Good, the Bad and The Ugly.

I am still annoyed I missed to see TGTBTU at the cinema (went to see Fellini Satyricon and ended up not having enough for Rome Open City and this, but heck I went to see Satyricon so HURRAY for that) but I do think it is the perfect example of an adventure film. Great characters, great music, great vistas, all bizarrely united under a plot that simply summed up as "Men look for buried treasure", and it works, it works beautifully.

And there is that grin I have whenever you see the Captain die happy after he hears the bridge being blown up by Blondie and the incredible Eli Wallach.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 85
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 10:59:58 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Avatar isn't even worthy of being mentioned derogatorily in the same sentence of The Good, the Bad and The Ugly.

My respect for you has escalated at 100% after reading this Dev.

I was lucky enough to see GBU on the big screen back in 1998; there was a special one-off showing at the Stratford Picture House and I took a sick day at work to go see it. There were only a few people in the room, two of whom were a couple of teenage boys and before the film began, one was telling the other what a great film it was and how much he was gonna enjoy it. Throughout the film they both really got into it - laughing at Tuco and when it finished, I overheard both guys talk about how cool Eastwood was. I just loved the fact that the film entertained an audience of a completely different generation in the same way it had done decades before.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 86
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 11:01:17 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

And there is that grin I have whenever you see the Captain die happy after he hears the bridge being blown up by Blondie and the incredible Eli Wallach.

oh man, that is absolutely beautiful isn't it? the score that accompanies that little scene is great also.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 87
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 11:10:26 PM   
Deviation

quote:

quote:

My respect for you has escalated at 100% after reading this Dev.

I was lucky enough to see GBU on the big screen back in 1998; there was a special one-off showing at the Stratford Picture House and I took a sick day at work to go see it. There were only a few people in the room, two of whom were a couple of teenage boys and before the film began, one was telling the other what a great film it was and how much he was gonna enjoy it. Throughout the film they both really got into it - laughing at Tuco and when it finished, I overheard both guys talk about how cool Eastwood was. I just loved the fact that the film entertained an audience of a completely different generation in the same way it had done decades before.

You mean it was 0% before?

Oh and I love that ending......such a great way to finish the film, first comes the trio face/off, then that trick on Tuco, then this line.

"Blondie, sei un, grandissimo, figlio di buuuuuuuuutttttttttaaaaaaaa.........."

GREATEST. LAST. LINES. EVER.

Said with much gusto with Wallach. I need to re-watch this. Maybe next Friday with a friend who keeps boasting how cool Eastwood is without ever watching TGTBTU. And Eastwood, that man's cool never drips down.

And fair enough to say, the music throughout the entire film is outstanding.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 88
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 11:20:06 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

You mean it was 0% before?

"Blondie, sei un, grandissimo, figlio di buuuuuuuuutttttttttaaaaaaaa.........."

GREATEST. LAST. LINES. EVER.

You know what I mean!

Now, forgive my ignorance but is that Italian? of course, I have only ever watched it in English, therefore Tuco's last lines were -

"Hey Blondie!!! You know what you aaaaarrre?! Just a dirty son of a B- AH AH AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!"

well, either way, brilliant.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 89
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 13/6/2010 11:29:31 PM   
Deviation

It is, first time I ever saw the film (and Once Upon a Time in the West) were on Italian television.

And yes, that is what it the English Translation is. Well I left this bit out...memory fail there.

"You know what you aaaaarrre?!"

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI