Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 5/1/2007 5:00:11 PM   
evil bill

IL BUONO,IL BRUTTO,IL CATTIVO as it apears on the opening titles with that astounding sound track by Ennio Morricone.Sergio Leone reinvented the classic westren,and thus breathed life back into a dying gerne.The trigloy of spaghetti westrens shot Clint Eastwood into superstardom,the films themselfs have been copyed but never bettered.Lee van cleef and Eli Wallach have never been better than in this brillant epic westren,with it's backdrop of the Amercian civil war.There's so many stand out scenes,but the most brillant of all and most unforgetable is the cemertry showdown.For me it captures all that this masterpiece is about,the music,the editing,the close ups and the outstanding camera work.It's pure movie history in a can,it has never been bettered for me,even though there are a lot of great westrens,this one has my vote as my favortie of all time.I'm going to get the special edition dvd out of it's box,and watch it for the?( how many god only knows).5/5 CLASSIC!

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"
Post #: 1
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 5/1/2007 6:13:30 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

Absolutely brilliant film and you've pretty much summarised every great quality in it. Though i would disagree with it being the best western of all time. I think the Searchers, the wild bunch, once upon a time in the west and a few other westerns rise above this one.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 2
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/1/2007 12:35:53 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: amateur ghostbuster

Absolutely brilliant film and you've pretty much summarised every great quality in it. Though i would disagree with it being the best western of all time. I think the Searchers, the wild bunch, once upon a time in the west and a few other westerns rise above this one.
THE SEARCHERS is a classic with John Wayne on top form,and for me his best westren.WILD BUNCH another classic from the late great Sam Peckinpah which also moved the westren into new ground.And of course ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST trully brillant,but i stick to my gun's,and though there are many great westrens out there,THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY is my personal favorite of all time.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 6/1/2007 12:54:47 PM >

(in reply to amateur ghostbuster)
Post #: 3
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/1/2007 12:49:29 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

For me the three greatest westerns are this film, The Searchers and the Wild Bunch. I did used to rate Once Upon A Time In The West even higher, but I watched it again and found how shallow it really was.
Anyway, every frame of this movie, and every note of Ennio Morricone's score is an absolute delight, and for me it ranks up there with my favourite films of all time.
By the way Evil Bill, who the hell is Sam Peckham? Is he the bad boy of Only Fools and Horses?

sorry jbg :( i promise to stop being such a silly boy.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 4
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/1/2007 12:59:34 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheManWithNoShame

For me the three greatest westerns are this film, The Searchers and the Wild Bunch. I did used to rate Once Upon A Time In The West even higher, but I watched it again and found how shallow it really was.
Anyway, every frame of this movie, and every note of Ennio Morricone's score is an absolute delight, and for me it ranks up there with my favourite films of all time.
By the way Evil Bill, who the hell is Sam Peckham? Is he the bad boy of Only Fools and Horses?
Opps! Been fixed,and agree with your point about the three greatest westrens.For me too ONCE UPON A TIME just do'se not stand up to mupitle watching as true classics should.

< Message edited by evil bill -- 6/1/2007 1:00:40 PM >

(in reply to TheManWithNoShame)
Post #: 5
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/1/2007 1:13:11 PM   
hozay

Truly one of the great Westerns and one of Clints best roles.Can't understand why it gets dismissed by some self confessed fans of the genre (purists maybe) it's so brilliantly shot and acted and the music is superb.I don't even want to compare it to
other Westerns,I just enjoy it for what it is,a true classic.

Post #: 6
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/1/2007 2:22:12 PM   
Cuchulainn

A masterpiece.Can't say any more about it...An almost perfect film.

"Give 'em Hell 54th!!!"

(in reply to hozay)
Post #: 7
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/1/2007 4:29:23 PM   
BobM70

quote:

What's with everyone all of a sudden not liking OUTITW and always going for the truly overrated standards Searchers and Wild Bunch... And to call it shallow is just plain nonsense. Watch The Searchers again for a few shallow moments.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly is superb. It's as good as OUTITW, although less complicated and more straightforward entertaining. Ennio deserves every praise for his music in every Sergio film.

Bob

It's not how long it takes, it's who's taking you...

Post #: 8
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/1/2007 5:28:21 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: BobM70

quote:

What's with everyone all of a sudden not liking OUTITW and always going for the truly overrated standards Searchers and Wild Bunch... And to call it shallow is just plain nonsense. Watch The Searchers again for a few shallow moments.

Dont get me wrong I really like OUATITW, a few months ago it was in my top 5 films. I watched it again a month or so ago and just found that although the cinematography is absolutely superb, the score divine and the direction impeccable, the whole thing was rather meaningless. The other two films had style but there was a lot of substance as well, OUATITW doesnt really have any, and plus it is overlong and I dare say boring in parts.
The Good The Bad and The Ugly on the other hand has an interesting plot, and the style which made OUATITW a good film.
And The Searchers shallow? The Wild Bunch overrated? They are some pretty big statements!

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 9
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/1/2007 10:24:59 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

I would have to agree that i did find once upon a time in the west boring in parts, but also truly mesmerizing in others.
I wouldn't say the searchers and the wild bunch are overrated. The searchers is definetly not a shallow film and as for the Wild Bunch that gunfight can make up for any shallowness.

Post #: 10
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 7/1/2007 6:49:48 PM   
BobM70

Never liked The Searchers. It's been subject of hefty discussions with a friend of mine more than a few times. He loves it. Although it's not a bad movie, I just find it a mess of a movie. For instant the humor. It's distracting and not fitting with the rest of the story. It's toe curling at times. Jeffrey Hunter has some slaptick moments that just irritate me. It's a problem I have with a lot of Ford's movies. The story is good, the photography exellent, but some continuity faults, mediocre acting and an overall sense of corniness make this a fine, but not great movie in my book. But hey: it's only me! 

Bob

Post #: 11
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 7/1/2007 9:09:55 PM   
amateur ghostbuster

quote:

Never liked The Searchers. It's been subject of hefty discussions with a friend of mine more than a few times. He loves it. Although it's not a bad movie, I just find it a mess of a movie. For instant the humor. It's distracting and not fitting with the rest of the story. It's toe curling at times. Jeffrey Hunter has some slaptick moments that just irritate me. It's a problem I have with a lot of Ford's movies. The story is good, the photography exellent, but some continuity faults, mediocre acting and an overall sense of corniness make this a fine, but not great movie in my book. But hey: it's only me! 

Bob

I think if the Searchers didn't have the humour it might become too depressing.

< Message edited by amateur ghostbuster -- 7/1/2007 9:10:20 PM >

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 12
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 8/1/2007 4:23:54 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: amateur ghostbuster

quote:

Bob

I think if the Searchers didn't have the humour it might become too depressing.
Agreed!and after it's a John Wayne movie,and his darkest yet still for me anyway his best.

(in reply to amateur ghostbuster)
Post #: 13
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 9/1/2007 12:56:08 PM   
boaby

I wouldn't say that OUATITW is shallow at all. It's about the end of the old west. The railroads changed things forever. I think it's great that the final showdown is basically a sideshow to the new town being built - the gunslingers are becoming peripheral and outdated. (This point would've been even more obvious if Clint, Eli and Lee had played the thrree at the beginning as intended)

Anyway....

TGTBATU is brilliant from beginning to end. Tuco is a great character. Clint does what he does best.

It's definitely my favourite western.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 14
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 10/1/2007 2:57:53 PM   
m_er

In the old forum I wrote a long review about this superb flick. At the mo I dont feel like writing it all over again but must say that this is truly a great great film. One of my favourites. Cant get tired of watching it.

WHOA. I don't believe what I'm hearing. Check out the BALLS on this kid. Hey Spider, this is for you.

My movies
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=4044070

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 15
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 12/1/2007 2:28:14 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: m_er

In the old forum I wrote a long review about this superb flick. At the mo I dont feel like writing it all over again but must say that this is truly a great great film. One of my favourites. Cant get tired of watching it.

Shame as i only joined the form last year after it was changed,so did'nt get to read your review.But as you said no matter how many times i watch or even hear that score,it still entertains.

(in reply to m_er)
Post #: 16
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 12/1/2007 5:55:07 PM   
Kyle_R_

I'll start by saying I am not a big fan of Westerns at all and I haven't seen NEARLY enough of them. But I couldn't help but feel disappointed with this, I noticed it on the imdb top 250 at number 5! So I thought it must be good since it has so many perfect votes yet the audience for Westerns is hardly big at all. I think I seen an extended version and I got bored a few times throughout when nothing at all seemed to be happening, good film nonetheless. However I recently seen UNFORGIVEN and loved it! Easily the best western I have seen (sadly I have seen very few).

http://www.last.fm/user/I-Am-Scientist

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 17
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 12/1/2007 6:13:48 PM   
TheManWithNoShame

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby

I wouldn't say that OUATITW is shallow at all. It's about the end of the old west. The railroads changed things forever. I think it's great that the final showdown is basically a sideshow to the new town being built - the gunslingers are becoming peripheral and outdated. (This point would've been even more obvious if Clint, Eli and Lee had played the thrree at the beginning as intended)

I know thats what its trying to say but I dont think it works. That said, the style and the music and the direction is faultless, so I still think its a very good film.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 18
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 28/2/2007 12:21:24 PM   
Mojo

I was never a massive fan of the western, but as soon as I saw this (which was only recently I admit) it became clear to me that there were so many great films out there for me to watch. This has become one of my favourite films of all time now, beautifully shot (each frame is perfect) and the score is just outstanding. Clint Eastwood's Blondie is without doubt one of the coolest characters in the history of film, and I can't wait to watch the others in the Man with No Name trilogy. Is this the best of the bunch?

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

Post #: 19
RE: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - 28/2/2007 12:27:06 PM   
Timon

There are two kinds of people in this world my friend; those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 20
RE: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - 28/2/2007 1:31:06 PM   
Kira

I love that line. One of my all-time favourites besides "I'm feeling really wired ..." (SA3).

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 21
RE: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly - 28/2/2007 9:15:14 PM   
Dave Novo

TGTBATU is easily my favourite film. I remembering spending many hours forcing friends to watch it during my teenage years.

And Metallica have used Morricone's "Ecstasy of Gold" as their live shows intro for over 20 years. Still sends tingles down my spine when i hear it.

Hostia Puta

(in reply to Kira)
Post #: 22
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 28/2/2007 9:59:23 PM   
BobM70

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

I was never a massive fan of the western, but as soon as I saw this (which was only recently I admit) it became clear to me that there were so many great films out there for me to watch. This has become one of my favourite films of all time now, beautifully shot (each frame is perfect) and the score is just outstanding. Clint Eastwood's Blondie is without doubt one of the coolest characters in the history of film, and I can't wait to watch the others in the Man with No Name trilogy. Is this the best of the bunch?

It's the best, for sure. But that doesn't mean Fistfull and For a Few are to be missed! All three excellent films. You can see Leone get into his "style".

Fistfull of Dollars is short and snappy. A straightforward western with some of the trademarks (Ennio, use of silence, witty oneliners, close ups).

For a Few Dollars More is a much more "moody" affair with long scenes that are build around the music, long close ups and Eastwood finding his stride. It's much longer too. It's probably the least liked, but I think it's a great film with some truly brilliant music.

Bob

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 23
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/3/2007 12:46:54 AM   
boaby

for a few... is definitelt the deeper of the other 2 in the trilogy. I rate it better than Fistful. But, as has been said, both are great films.

Leone definitely adds a grandeur and weight to the genre. Most westerns other than Leone's that I've seen have had a "paperback" feel about them, like holiday novels, Leone's seem to have more substance. My favourite director of westerns because of this. Mr. Eastwood is not far behind.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to BobM70)
Post #: 24
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/3/2007 12:50:36 PM   
Gothzilla

For me TGTBATU is not the best of its genre. Its good but is too much like the others in the trilogy. My faves are
Unforgiven  An acting masterpiece and an original take on a theme.
Soldier Blue A shocking portrait of the opposite point of view of a typical western. The uncut version is especially harrowing ( but only available on region 1 )
Shane THE classic western.
High Noon. Old school brilliance and the first real shootout in a western movie.
The Wild Bunch. As someone said, the best gunfight ever and a really atmospheric film.

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 25
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/3/2007 3:54:08 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

For me TGTBATU is not the best of its genre. Its good but is too much like the others in the trilogy. My faves are
Unforgiven  An acting masterpiece and an original take on a theme.
Soldier Blue A shocking portrait of the opposite point of view of a typical western. The uncut version is especially harrowing ( but only available on region 1 )
Shane THE classic western.
High Noon. Old school brilliance and the first real shootout in a western movie.
The Wild Bunch. As someone said, the best gunfight ever and a really atmospheric film.

Soldier Blue is a brillant movie and i have done a thread for this on Golden Oldies,but TGTBATU is still my favourtie westren,though Soldier Blue is highly recomrnded to all fans of anit war and Westrens.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 26
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 3/3/2007 4:16:17 PM   
Gothzilla

i have had the dubious pleasure of seeing Soldier Blue on an advance screening before its general release in this country. It was scheduled to show for a week but was pulled after three days. When it went on general release I went to see it again. Approx two minutes had been cut from the certified version. The cut that went onto VHS was cut by a further 6 minutes and the region 2 DVD is of this version. A further 4 minutes was cut for its TV screening in this country rendering the ending almost pointless.
The region 1 version DVD has had the full cinema release version restored ( 6 minutes longer than the UK version ) but I doubt if the original edit will ever be shown.
Scenes removed from the first cut included a woman being sliced from crotch to neck with a saber, a baby being impaled on a lance, a boy being crushed under a horses hooves and the chief having his penis sliced off. I also recall a scene where the girls leg gets blown off by a cannon explosion although this MAY be in the region 1 version.
Regardless of which version you watch ( apart from the sanitised TV version) it is a powerful indictment of the atrocities that were really carried out by the US cavelry

It can't rain all the time.

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 27
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 6/3/2007 5:47:17 PM   
evil bill

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gothzilla

i have had the dubious pleasure of seeing Soldier Blue on an advance screening before its general release in this country. It was scheduled to show for a week but was pulled after three days. When it went on general release I went to see it again. Approx two minutes had been cut from the certified version. The cut that went onto VHS was cut by a further 6 minutes and the region 2 DVD is of this version. A further 4 minutes was cut for its TV screening in this country rendering the ending almost pointless.
The region 1 version DVD has had the full cinema release version restored ( 6 minutes longer than the UK version ) but I doubt if the original edit will ever be shown.
Scenes removed from the first cut included a woman being sliced from crotch to neck with a saber, a baby being impaled on a lance, a boy being crushed under a horses hooves and the chief having his penis sliced off. I also recall a scene where the girls leg gets blown off by a cannon explosion although this MAY be in the region 1 version.
Regardless of which version you watch ( apart from the sanitised TV version) it is a powerful indictment of the atrocities that were really carried out by the US cavelry

I saw this movie for the first time on TV and as you have stated it was hopless,due too the bucthering of the final masscare,and other cuts.The laugh was there was a warning before the movie came on on ITV,and it was on lateThis could have put a lot of people off this classic,but luckly a friend who had seen the movie in the US persisted that it was worth seeing.So one of the first Laserdisc,s i bought(remmber this format?)was Soilder Blue and what a movie,that massacre at the end BRUTAL!,on Laserdisc you saw a baby impaled on a sword,a child with it's eye blowen out,an woman having a breast sliced of after being raped etc.Never has a movie moved me like this one,and the fact it was true,sicking.

(in reply to Gothzilla)
Post #: 28
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 26/4/2009 10:42:36 AM   
Snake-Eyes

This is and always will be, Snake-Eyes' No.1 Favourite Movie of all time. I've said it before - NOTHING comes close to it. I cannot stress how important this film is to me. The cast, the cinematography, the score... oh man, the beautiful Morricone score! the minimal use of dialogue...  I've had some serious arguments with people who have had even the slightest disagreement with me about the power of this film. I currently have THREE different dvd editions and I'm set to order the Blu-Ray this month. I am, of course, a huge fan of all of Sergio Leone's films but this...? I have to watch it at least three or four times a month. I've said it before elsewhere (and please, please do not think me a sexist here), but I'm still yet to meet a female who likes this film (other than my late Mother who is responsible for me falling in love with it in the first place), I've had two ex-girlfriends who were unable to sit with me and watch it all the way through, don't ask me why! The cultural impact and legacy of it is undisputed - Tarantino, Woo, Rodriguez, Lucas, Spielberg, Scorsese, DePalma - they all admit to being hugely influeneced by Leone's work.  Spaghetti Westerns, overall I think, are still part of an overlooked/forgotten genre. I still maintain that Italians made better Westerns than American film-makers.

Tuco Ramirez is my favourite movie character ever! What Eli Wallach did with the role was pure magic; how can you hate, love and sympathize and cheer for a 'rat' like this? He's awesome! As for the 'Bad', Mr. Van Cleef's Angel Eyes (aka Sentenza), well.... is he really that bad? He only kills three people compared to how many the 'Good' guns down. BUT! he does get his brute henchman Wallace (Mario Brega) to beat Tuco to a bloody pulp.  I'll stop now. I just had to type something about this film I love so much...

I'm gonna have to watch it again when I get home from work in about three hours.

< Message edited by Snake-Eyes -- 26/6/2011 9:04:53 PM >

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 29
RE: THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. - 26/4/2009 11:07:52 AM   
evil bill

Great to see this thread revived,and another fan that still get's excited every time you watch this classic.It's put me in the mood to watch it today,the second time this year so far,even though the missus isn't a big fan of westerns,she will sit and watch this one.So there's at least one female fan,even though like The Thing it's very male/guys film,all sweat and guns as the missus say's.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI