Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 1/7/2010 12:50:50 PM   
great_badir

Well done to everyone in the thread.

I've lost nearly 3 stone since this time last year, and have gone down from a 37/38" waist to a nearly comfortable 30", which I'm very chuffed with.  Still got a bit to go and need to shift some jelly belly, but I'm almost there.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to tftrman)
Post #: 211
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 1/7/2010 7:25:29 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: The2ndRing

3 and a half stone of baby weight to lose :(

Have exer-cycled 20K and done 20 sit ups, plus bought a shit load of weight watchers meals. It starts here people.

You can do it!

quote:

ORIGINAL: tftrman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

If I lose half a pound this week that means I'll have reached one and a half stone in 12 weeks. Still going strong and feeling pretty good about myself having quit smoking almost nine months ago as well. I have stuck to my diet every single day for 12 weeks so far but it's my birthday on Friday and we're going out for a meal. Think I might just let myself go for this one night, think I've deserved it and after all it is my birthday!

Good on you YFU! And I agree, I think you should have a night off for your birthday - enjoy yourself!

Well done dude! I agree you should just enjoy your birthday. You could always push yourself that little bit more after to burn off the calories later on.

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I've lost nearly 3 stone since this time last year, and have gone down from a 37/38" waist to a nearly comfortable 30", which I'm very chuffed with.  Still got a bit to go and need to shift some jelly belly, but I'm almost there.

Wow that's awesome! Well done.

I got back to the gym last week. I went swimming for the first time in ages. I was swimming in bouts of 100m or so. Great exercise ... just annoyed I let myself go so much. I used to swim a lot growing up. I could swim about 1,000m at my peak. I'd like to get back to that. So I'll be working on it everyweek.

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 212
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/7/2010 10:11:21 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

Christ that's good! Nice one!

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 213
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/7/2010 10:27:23 AM   
Sway

I'm on a renewed health/fitness kick at the moment.  I never go by weight but by dress size, and would like to be able to drop one or two sizes.

Swimming and running is order of the day for me at the moment, although I have very little willpower and determination so I'm not sure how long I'll last!

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 214
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/7/2010 10:38:37 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

I'm on a renewed health/fitness kick at the moment.  I never go by weight but by dress size, and would like to be able to drop one or two sizes.

I'm having a bit of an issue with scales at the moment. I feel a lot slimmer, people are commenting on it and even some of my clothes are noticably loose. But when I've been weighed over the past few weeks there has been no difference. It bums me out a bit as I have been trying hard recently but I'm not getting the boost I might in knowing that I'm actually loosing weight. Would I just be better off looking at dress size?

Everyone who I spoke to about weight loss urged me to use  scales and I like the idea of having a wieght to aim for, seeing a week by week difference. But I'm simply not getting that at the moment and in all honesty it's depressing the fuck clean out of me. Makes me feel that all my efforts are in vein, despite getting other kinds of results.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 215
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/7/2010 10:44:28 AM   
Felix

Get a tape measure Reb and measure the inches you're losing instead.

I really need to get my arse in gear and get out running again, but have absolutely no motivation. I'm nowhere near 'fat', but I do feel bigger than usual and definitely more sluggish.

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 216
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/7/2010 10:47:03 AM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

I'm on a renewed health/fitness kick at the moment. I never go by weight but by dress size, and would like to be able to drop one or two sizes.

I'm having a bit of an issue with scales at the moment. I feel a lot slimmer, people are commenting on it and even some of my clothes are noticably loose. But when I've been weighed over the past few weeks there has been no difference. It bums me out a bit as I have been trying hard recently but I'm not getting the boost I might in knowing that I'm actually loosing weight. Would I just be better off looking at dress size?

Everyone who I spoke to about weight loss urged me to use scales and I like the idea of having a wieght to aim for, seeing a week by week difference. But I'm simply not getting that at the moment and in all honesty it's depressing the fuck clean out of me. Makes me feel that all my efforts are in vein, despite getting other kinds of results.

That might be because of the fat that's converted into muscle. My friend said when she was trying to lose weight, it was easy to lose 4lbs a week for the first month but then it got harder to maintain such a weekly loss even though she kept up her diet and exercise.

Perhaps (and I am defo no expert) it's time to start targeting certain areas. For example the cross trainer works your thighs and legs - that might be a good start. Ask one of the gym trainers, they'll be able to help you.

Best of luck

I'm a health surge now, i'm actually trying to gain weight though. I go to the gym 4 times a week with my friend - which always helps - and just work on resistance training rather than cardio. It's actually proving quite hard to maintain eating a lot when you have little cash and when your friends want to go out drinking all the time. I will power through.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

Post #: 217
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/7/2010 10:54:26 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

Everyone who I spoke to about weight loss urged me to use  scales and I like the idea of having a wieght to aim for, seeing a week by week difference. But I'm simply not getting that at the moment and in all honesty it's depressing the fuck clean out of me. Makes me feel that all my efforts are in vein, despite getting other kinds of results.

I'm no expert on these kind of this Reb, I go through phases of trying to lose weight now and again and not sticking at it very long, but for me personally, I've never gone by scales or weight because I feel like there are just too many variables involved as to why you might not have lost that extra pound at the end of the week.   How much is fat, how much is muscle, how much is water retention and/or bloatedness, especially with that time of the month.  I really couldn't tell you how much I weigh right now, I haven't weighed myself in years.

I'm sure people truly into fitness would tell you otherwise, but I like working towards a drop in dress size.   If I start feeling like my clothes are becoming loose on me, that's what motivates me to carry on.  And it's obviously that old adage of healthy body, healthy mind.  If I feel like I'm losing weight, I become happier and feel healthier, which spurs me on with whatever exercise I'm doing.     Like you're experiencing right now, I find using scales incredibly depressing, you start obsessing about each particular pound.   With dress size it's more a case of "Great, now I can fit into a Next size X. Let's see if I can get into a River Island size X in the next month or so".    Dress sizes do vary between shops, but being able to fit into one shop's size X boosts morale and enourages you to stick at it until you can fit into most shop's size X.

It's clearly all psychological, and it's not an approach that'd work for everyone.  I'm sure there are people who'd probably advise against it, but I've always seen myself as a dress size rather than a particular weight. 

The few times I did go by scales, yeeeeeeears ago, I found myself becoming absolutely obsessive over what I was eating and calories etc.  I personally don't want to live that way.  I'd rather eat healthy/in moderation, continue some regular exercise and just feel the benefits myself, rather than having a scale tell me nothing has happened that week and demoralise me.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 218
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/7/2010 10:59:24 AM   
Felix

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sumintelligentguy

That might be because of the fat that's converted into muscle. My friend said when she was trying to lose weight, it was easy to lose 4lbs a week for the first month but then it got harder to maintain such a weekly loss even though she kept up her diet and exercise.

Perhaps (and I am defo no expert) it's time to start targeting certain areas. For example the cross trainer works your thighs and legs - that might be a good start. Ask one of the gym trainers, they'll be able to help you.

Best of luck

I'm a health surge now, i'm actually trying to gain weight though. I go to the gym 4 times a week with my friend - which always helps - and just work on resistance training rather than cardio. It's actually proving quite hard to maintain eating a lot when you have little cash and when your friends want to go out drinking all the time. I will power through.

Its a brave man that says that to a woman!!

[This space for rent] -

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 219
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/7/2010 12:33:36 PM   
Rebenectomy

Thanks for the tips. The muscle thing could be an issue. I was very athletic as a teenager and there's probably a lot of dormant muscle getting a bit of a wake up call now I'm starting to get active again.

As for asking the advice of the gym trainer, I don't think the Wii fit is that advanced yet. Though I bet the Kinex is 

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 220
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 11:43:52 AM   
kathryn2

I thought I'd come and join this thread, rather than start a new one. The diet started last week, and I'm popping out to get weighed shortly.

I've set myself a semi-arbitrary target of losing 5 stone in one year, which works out at about 1.35 pounds a week. It sounds eminently do-able when you put it like that, but I've never lost that much weight in that little time before! But still, I'm hoping it will help to motivate me through the bad times!

So, I'm starting at 70 pounds and counting down.

BRB....

Edit:

2.5 pounds!

67.5 to go.....in 51 weeks.....

< Message edited by kathryn2 -- 7/7/2010 12:09:07 PM >

Post #: 221
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 1:02:36 PM   
Sumintelligentguy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

Best of luck

The wall of the internet helps.

Also, great running song - High Contrast - The Basement Track, it get's the blood pumping and convinced me to raise the speed of the treadmill....too much might I add.

"Snake? Snaaaake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!?"

R.I.P. Punchy

(in reply to Felix)
Post #: 222
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 1:21:36 PM   
Twisted Kitty

quote:

ORIGINAL: kathryn2

I thought I'd come and join this thread, rather than start a new one. The diet started last week, and I'm popping out to get weighed shortly.

I've set myself a semi-arbitrary target of losing 5 stone in one year, which works out at about 1.35 pounds a week. It sounds eminently do-able when you put it like that, but I've never lost that much weight in that little time before! But still, I'm hoping it will help to motivate me through the bad times!

BRB....

Edit:

2.5 pounds!

Replied on your other post about this.  Right I'm here now and I'll be joining you shortly! 

"I have a terrible headache, and a sudden craving for chicken wings"

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 223
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 1:43:43 PM   
BishopQuaker

Getting pissed and eating a pizza last night has not helped me at all.

It's left me with a hangover and not able to go to the gym tonight.

Buggeration

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 224
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 1:51:34 PM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felix

quote:

Best of luck

The wall of the internet helps.

Also, great running song - High Contrast - The Basement Track, it get's the blood pumping and convinced me to raise the speed of the treadmill....too much might I add.

My running play list on my ipod includes Going the Distance, Gonna Fly Now, and Eye of the Tiger!

Another favourite of mine for running to is  "I'm a Man" by Black Strobe.  Yes, honestly!

(in reply to Sumintelligentguy)
Post #: 225
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 2:08:03 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: BishopQuaker

Getting pissed and eating a pizza last night has not helped me at all.

It's left me with a hangover and not able to go to the gym tonight.

Buggeration

Did you have fun, though?
Because having fun should be an integral part of any weight loss strategy. Just...not too much fun.

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 226
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 2:14:31 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twisted Kitty

quote:

BRB....

Edit:

2.5 pounds!

Replied on your other post about this.  Right I'm here now and I'll be joining you shortly! 

Excellent! You can help to keep me on track.

I'ce resisted cupcakes and chocolate so far today. I had some clementines and a cereal bar instead.

(in reply to Twisted Kitty)
Post #: 227
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 2:44:03 PM   
livewire

so hard to get motivated to do this. Started on Monday. Not going well. want to shift 2.5 - 3 stone before christmas.

I`ve never had a message for anyone in my entire life. Except maybe to give out my room number" - Bonn Scott 1946 1980

Punchdrunk - 1981 - 2010

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 228
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 3:01:16 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I didn't get weighed this Monday as I was at work all day and getting weighed involves going to my mums as I'm too tight to buy some scales It's a good job really because I had the biggest burger in the world (so big it had to be held together by a skewer!) with chips on Friday and two pieces of birthday cake. I am not getting weighed until Monday now so it gives me a little extra time to try and make up for it. As it stands I still need to lose half a pound to reach a stone and a half. I was dubious about Slimming World to start with but it really is making a difference

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to livewire)
Post #: 229
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 3:31:51 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

I didn't get weighed this Monday as I was at work all day and getting weighed involves going to my mums as I'm too tight to buy some scales It's a good job really because I had the biggest burger in the world (so big it had to be held together by a skewer!) with chips on Friday and two pieces of birthday cake. I am not getting weighed until Monday now so it gives me a little extra time to try and make up for it. As it stands I still need to lose half a pound to reach a stone and a half. I was dubious about Slimming World to start with but it really is making a difference

Slimming world worked for me at one time - last time I lost 5 stone I was doing it. But I did it for so long and got so thoroughly bored with it that I couldn't face going back to it. It also required a lot of organization. So I'm doing Weight Watchers this time around.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 230
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 7/7/2010 4:05:14 PM   
Sway

quote:

You're my hero.

I recently went to a restaraunt that specialises in burgers, and spotted a burger called The Colossus on the menu, which had blurb beside it saying if you could finish The Colossus you'd get your pic taken and put on their wall of fame.  Well, I couldn't not order it after reading that description!  However turns out I was able to finish it and finish a knickerbockerglory.  My two male friends couldn't even finish their normal burgers, wimps.

The place I *might* be eating at next week for my family meal has a burger option called The Beast.... So I know what I'll be getting that night.

Anyway, all this talk is probably not really helping anybody out here, sorry!

Post #: 231
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 15/7/2010 10:49:49 AM   
kathryn2

Right, got weighed yesterday, and have lost another 3 lb this week.

That's 5.5 lb now.

So, 50 weeks and 64.5 lb to go.

< Message edited by kathryn2 -- 15/7/2010 10:51:22 AM >

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 232
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 15/7/2010 12:43:40 PM   
Kilo_T_Mortal

quote:

Right, got weighed yesterday, and have lost another 3 lb this week.

That's 5.5 lb now.

So, 50 weeks and 64.5 lb to go.

You go girl!

he's ruining my buestiful threat!

"She must have known about all this before she let that grinning loon put his space-cock anywhere near her?"
horribleives

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 233
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 15/7/2010 12:54:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

quote:

Slimming world worked for me at one time - last time I lost 5 stone I was doing it. But I did it for so long and got so thoroughly bored with it that I couldn't face going back to it. It also required a lot of organization. So I'm doing Weight Watchers this time around.

Slimming World is the only diet that has ever worked for me.  I never shifted anything with any of the others, but as you say kath SW requires organisation, planning and forethought.

As it is now, and how I've lost what I've lost so far, no diets - I'm just eating sensibly and getting a decent amount of exercise (just over 5 miles total cycling to and from work every day, the from journey pretty much all up big San Fran style hills).  The biggest problem I've got coming my way is the tone-up - I've got about half a stone more of body fat that I want to shift and then I need to start putting muscle weight on, but I don't want to be a ripped hercules so I need to balance it, which from experience I find quite difficult.

Also, as a couple of others have already said, it is important to enjoy yourself every now and again - have that cake, or that burger, or ice cream, but make it a treat and don't do it every day.  I think I read something once which said if you cut out all fats and sugars from your diet completely, the body gets too used to the food and calories you are taking on and you just go back to square one of not being able to shift any weight at all, even though you're eating healthily and 2000-ish calories (if you're trying to lose weight) a day.  Whereas chow down on a burger once every couple of weeks and all of a sudden your body's got to deal with some complex calories, so it makes it think and work a bit more.

Yes, that's right - just like those annoying programs and films which anthropomorphise animals, I'm doing the same with the inner workings of the human body.  Alls I need now is a Morgan Freeman voiceover...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 234
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/7/2010 1:51:48 PM   
kathryn2

Didn't do so well this week - stayed the same.

I had a couple of bad days, due partly to taking time off work and having a day out up London, which involved lunch and dinner out. Also my friend had a flatwarming BBQ. I did try - I avoided the sausages and burgers - but there was homemade carrot cake, homemade bannana bread, and homemade shortcake. And it simply would have been rude to not try them, and compliment the chefs!

Ah well.

Still 64.5 lbs to go. I'm ahead of my 1.35 lb a week target still, too, so it's not a complete disaster.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 235
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/7/2010 2:00:31 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I had a couple of bad days, due partly to taking time off work and having a day out up London, which involved lunch and dinner out. Also my friend had a flatwarming BBQ. I did try - I avoided the sausages and burgers - but there was homemade carrot cake, homemade bannana bread, and homemade shortcake. And it simply would have been rude to not try them, and compliment the chefs!

Ah well.

Still 64.5 lbs to go. I'm ahead of my 1.35 lb a week target still, too, so it's not a complete disaster.

Next week is a new week...

A lot of people cave because they have one or two bad weeks and then they assume they've undone all the good work, but that's not the case - it's constant bingeing that undoes it, rather than a couple of days of misfiring.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 236
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/7/2010 2:56:13 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I've lost 1st 9 and a half pounds now It's really going well!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 237
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/7/2010 7:54:09 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

quote:

Ah well.

Next week is a new week...

A lot of people cave because they have one or two bad weeks and then they assume they've undone all the good work, but that's not the case - it's constant bingeing that undoes it, rather than a couple of days of misfiring.

I know. I'm definitely sticking it out.

I'm having ham and egg salad for tea, followed by strawberries, melon and yoghurt. And then I'll have a few points left for a couple of biscuits with a cup of tea.
I'm determined to be good....

Post #: 238
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/7/2010 7:54:40 PM   
kathryn2

quote:

I've lost 1st 9 and a half pounds now It's really going well!

That's really well done!

Post #: 239
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/7/2010 9:17:34 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Congrats to everyone here

I had wanted to lose as much weight as possible before my hols. Gave myself 10 weeks to do it in. So far I have lost 7lbs and still have 5 weeks to go, here's hoping...

If I could crack the 15 stone mark I would be chuffed, I am not a huge heavy lad but my weight has always hovered around 15 stone (Not always obviously, otherwise my Ma would win some kind of award) and from a mental point of view I think if I can crack it and hit say, 14st 9lbs in the next two weeks I would dance a merry jig

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to kathryn2)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI