Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 10/7/2012 2:10:37 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

- In the last couple of days weight has leveled off and even gone up slightly, wtf is that about?

Increased muscle mass? Seems likely if your fitness is improving.

Well I've been saying for years that it's all latent muscle

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 361
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 15/7/2012 3:35:22 PM   
galvatron

I've lost a stone since Easter, though my weight does fluctuate at times. Hoping to lose a bit more soonish. Defo feel better for it as loads of my trousers barely even fit.

I'd recommend MyFitnessPal, loads of us at work have been using it and it's done wonders for us all.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 362
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 16/7/2012 3:12:03 AM   
Hood_Man

Getting a lot of comments about my weight loss lately, from people who've not seen me in a while

(in reply to galvatron)
Post #: 363
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 16/7/2012 1:52:13 PM   
great_badir

I can't remember if I've said this in this thread anywhere or not, but my absolute toppest tip for when you all hit your target weight (or when you get to a point where you have to buy new clothes) - BIN EVERY SINGLE ITEM OF FAT CLOTHING YOU HAVE. Don't even keep one pair of trousers for old time's sake, or that before and after pic (or, if you have to, bin them as soon as you've taken the photo).

That is now my incentive to keep the weight off - if I put back on any more than half a stone, I have to buy a whole new wardrobe. And I can't afford to do that.

So - remove temptation!

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 364
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/7/2012 10:02:29 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

Right now I feel a bit more room in some shirts, but I'm looking forward to shedding the next stone as I've a pair of jeans hanging in my cupboard that I reckon I'll be able to sneak into then.

Dropped stone #2. That was a bit of a fight. Plenty of time in the gym to shift that one. Those jeans fit me a treat though, wore them out today.

No rest for the wicked. On to number 3. Got a nice T-shirt hanging in the wardrobe I've not worn for years to motivate me for this one.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 365
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 22/7/2012 5:12:27 AM   
Spaldron

Gotta start running more, not got the cash for gym membership so its off to the canal for me (depending on the weather) but overall looking to drop about 2 stone. Wish me luck.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 366
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 22/7/2012 2:23:05 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Good luck spaldron! I'd say it's more fun running by the canal than in the gym anyway.

Took Great Badhir's advice and just been through my wardrobe throwing out roomy clothes. No turning back now.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 367
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 23/7/2012 2:20:30 PM   
donethinking

I watched that Horizon programme 'the truth about excercise' a few weeks ago, they advocate 3 minutes per week of high intensity training...http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01cywtq

I've since bought an excercise bike and aim to do the 20sec burst thing every second day...and every other day 20mins or so of 'normal' cycling.

I've also quit smoking (except for maybe at the weekends) and started drinking green tea!

BRING IT ON!!

Post #: 368
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 23/7/2012 5:49:31 PM   
Rebenectomy

Lost 20lbs since April. A stone to go to hit my target weight.

Already feeling much better, fitting into some of my pre pregnancy clothes for the first time in four years and being far less lazy (walking more despite the crappy weather). One thing I do need to do though is start toning up, bums and tums mostly and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/programs to recommend?

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to donethinking)
Post #: 369
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 25/7/2012 3:29:44 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Already feeling much better, fitting into some of my pre pregnancy clothes for the first time in four years and being far less lazy (walking more despite the crappy weather). One thing I do need to do though is start toning up, bums and tums mostly and I was wondering if anyone had any tips/programs to recommend?

I came on to ask the same question. All my fat goes to my stomach and I've had 4 surgeries on it as well so have no muscle tone there.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 370
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 25/7/2012 4:53:48 PM   
st3veebee

Out of curiosity What do people find is the most effective approach diet-wise: lots of snacks/light meals every few hours or proper but healthy meals 3 times a day?

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 371
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 25/7/2012 10:02:37 PM   
great_badir

Reb, Harls - I have the same problem around the belly. I'll let you know in a few weeks if what I've just started doing works...

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee
Out of curiosity What do people find is the most effective approach diet-wise: lots of snacks/light meals every few hours or proper but healthy meals 3 times a day?

During the day I graze - apple or yoghurt for brekkie first thing and then I have a little something (piece of fruit, or a HEALTHY cereal bar) every hour or two until lunch, then usually one whole sarnie, and then another little something at about 2pm. I stop then cos I have some mental hills to cycle up back to my car after work, so I don't want cramps or owt. When I get home, I then have a proper (healthy) meal for dinner and sometimes will have another piece of fruit or another cereal bar, or sometimes a couple of digestives or summat, after that. Then nothing - I try not to eat anything after 7pm. I've heard more than one health, diet and exercise expert say that you should always go to bed slightly hungry, and deal with that by drinking some water.

But that system has helped me maintain the weight. I was just having three normal meals a day last year, but I found that my weight was yo-yoing far too much and I was putting weight on faster. With the grazing, it now seems to be more balanced.

Another thing I will say is that you should still have the OCCASIONAL treat/blow-out, especially if you have reached a final target weight - keeps the body used to dealing with all those complex and unhealthy fats, otherwise if you cut them out completely forevermore, you might get to a point two years down the line where you eat a single small chocolate and then find you've put on about 5 stone. I'm exaggerating obviously, but I've personally found that it does help, and ALL of the "legit" diets, as far as I know, also allow specific room for treats.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 25/7/2012 10:05:49 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 372
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 25/7/2012 10:04:22 PM   
Hood_Man

I find the healthy snacking works best as well. Nothing drives my cravings more than feeling hungry between meals.

Post #: 373
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 11/8/2012 8:24:51 PM   
Hood_Man

Not weighed myself for a while, but I'm currently wearing a pair of trousers that haven't fit me in 5 years.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 374
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 11/8/2012 8:34:45 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harley Quinn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

I came on to ask the same question. All my fat goes to my stomach and I've had 4 surgeries on it as well so have no muscle tone there.

You could try some basic pilates and start to build your core as that pulls things in even without losing weight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-2nTyxdKA4

This one isn't too bad for a do it yourself type of thing.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 375
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 12/8/2012 4:56:38 PM   
Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Not weighed myself for a while, but I'm currently wearing a pair of trousers that haven't fit me in 5 years.

Congrats man. That's really inspirational. Just gone through the 2.5 stone mark. Holiday 5 weeks off and think I'll be shy of my target, but hey it's a long term plan.

Did my first session with weights on Friday. Can't straighten my arms out today

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 376
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 12/8/2012 5:43:34 PM   
donethinking

Not impressed with the scales I bought......2 weeks ago I was 12st....a few days ago 11.5st.....now I'm back to 12st

After watching Horizon Eat, Fast and live longer I will be fasting (6oo calories in a day) two days a week, and having no more pints of beer damnit!

Post #: 377
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 12/8/2012 5:50:12 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

Congrats man. That's really inspirational. Just gone through the 2.5 stone mark. Holiday 5 weeks off and think I'll be shy of my target, but hey it's a long term plan.

Did my first session with weights on Friday. Can't straighten my arms out today

Thanks man, congrats on your goal! 2 and a half stone... 35lbs! You've lost a small gymnast or a jockey's worth (probably )

I'm going to do one of those lame before and after things later *cringe* But I feel I have to...

Post #: 378
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 12/8/2012 7:22:00 PM   
Hood_Man

Lame as it is, here we go...

2 Years Ago

Today

I need to hit the gym myself now, and get something resembling a chest and shoulders

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 379
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/8/2012 7:29:56 PM   
paul_ie86

I've dropped 17.5lbs so far using Weight Watchers. Down from 23st3.5lb to 22st in 2 months. Pretty happy with that I must say.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 19/8/2012 7:36:05 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 380
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/8/2012 7:47:39 PM   
sanchia

quote:

Lame as it is, here we go...

2 Years Ago

Today

I need to hit the gym myself now, and get something resembling a chest and shoulders

The lean mean Hoodie machine.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 381
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/8/2012 8:30:56 PM   
Hood_Man

^^^

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 382
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/8/2012 9:02:53 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Did you change your hairstyle hood? . Seriously, way to go man. I have man love for you

Nice going too Paul!

2 stone 10 down. Am happily wearing a shirt that ive not been able to get on for 4 years. Started to introduce some weights to my gym work. Spent a week not being able to fully straighten my arms after the first workout

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 383
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/8/2012 9:17:58 PM   
Prophet_of_Doom

Anyone on here use Livestrong? I found it brilliant. Discovered I was eating anywhere between 500-1000 more calories a day than I should have been (even when I was dieting) and have lost 4 inches off my waist over the past 12 months mainly because of using their website to track my calories, exercise etc. I think the trouble with any form of dieting is the 'kidding yourself' part ... oh, this isn't really THAT bad ... but if you keep track of every calorie you can see where you're going wrong. And obviously if you're sensible you can see when you've got some calories spare to have something treat wise. Obviously doesn't work for everyone, and yes it is a bit prescriptive, but I found it really ace. I suppose it's a little like Weight Watchers, although Livestrong also counts things like fat content, salt content, cholestorel etc, so you can see if you're going over your recommended daily allowance in any area.

Post #: 384
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/8/2012 9:26:49 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

Did you change your hairstyle hood? . Seriously, way to go man. I have man love for you

Nice going too Paul!

2 stone 10 down. Am happily wearing a shirt that ive not been able to get on for 4 years. Started to introduce some weights to my gym work. Spent a week not being able to fully straighten my arms after the first workout

It's the apprentice Bond Villain look

Nice to hear about the arms, great effort

Post #: 385
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/8/2012 10:57:40 PM   
paul_ie86

Cheers Prof. Well done to you too on the pain in the arms.

< Message edited by paul_ie86 -- 19/8/2012 10:58:03 PM >

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 386
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/8/2012 4:19:52 PM   
Hood_Man

I've just discovered a very annoying problem that I hadn't anticipated when I started losing weight...

My Welsh rugby shirt is too big now

Oh well, we mustn't grumble I suppose.

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 387
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/8/2012 1:44:23 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I've just discovered a very annoying problem that I hadn't anticipated when I started losing weight...

My Welsh rugby shirt is too big now

Oh well, we mustn't grumble I suppose.

As I said earlier in the thread, I "binned" 99% of my fat clothes and bought a whole new wardrboe.

That is, seriously, the best incentive for me to keep all the weight off, cos I cannot afford to buy new clothes again if I put any terry back on.

Whilst it was hard getting rid of my geeky t-shirts (some of them, like my incredibly rare and quickly recalled mis-printed official Evil Dead 2 t-shirt with Evil Dead 1 logo, are impossible to find now), it's been nice buying new clothes that fit and you find (well, I did anyway) that you can wear things you wouldn't have previously thought would suit you.

Plus, every time I put on one of my "SMALL" shirts or t-shirts, or my 30" waist trousers, I think back to when I wore "XL" shirts and t-shirts and 38" waist trousers. It's a great feeling.

PS, update on the spare tyre/muffin top shifting - not much noticable progress as yet, but it's only been a couple of weeks, so I will persist and follow up with my routine if it works.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 388
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/8/2012 3:11:07 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

PS, update on the spare tyre/muffin top shifting - not much noticable progress as yet, but it's only been a couple of weeks, so I will persist and follow up with my routine if it works.

Do you run? One of the best ways to get rid of a muffin top. I was amazed at the difference and how quickly i noticed the difference

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 389
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 21/8/2012 4:00:31 PM   
great_badir

I did try running a few years ago, chopping and changing with my cycling (three days cycling, two days running, from and to the same point on my work commute – roughly two miles from my car to my office). I did lots of research and did it sensibly – proper running shoes, stretching and warming up, easing myself in with light jogging and frequent walking breaks, changing which side of the road I was running on every so often to take into account camber, etc etc etc. After two weeks of this I was in agony with knee pain, to the point where I couldn’t climb stairs and couldn’t walk without a severe limp. After a week of pain and no signs of it getting better, I went to the docs and had a scan/x-ray. Turned out I’d torn (rather than completely snapped) the ligaments in both knees. Doc said four to six weeks they would heal and I could start running again.

In the interim period I went to a mate’s wedding and got chatting to one of his mates who is, what I would call, a professional runner – that is, his job is basically a running advertising board and he is paid by sporting goods manufacturers to wear their logos on his clothes and then run in marathons and the like (he’s not an Olympic runner). Anyway, I explained my then recent problems to him and his response, which was completely sincere, was “some people just shouldn’t run, and I think you’re one of them”. His (professional) opinion was that if that happened to me after not very much light running, then if I pursued running again and stuck with it, it would almost certainly lead to knee problems in later life. He suggested that cycling and other lower impact cardio exercise was far better for me.

So, basically, I took that advice and haven’t run since (although I can walk for England).

But, interestingly, I have read more than one report that cycling is the best way to shift the muffin top…

(not that it’s worked for me)

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? Page: <<   < prev  10 11 12 [13] 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI