Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 26/1/2011 10:35:44 PM   
Hood_Man

I've started running again.  I'm not aiming for anything unrealistic, just to hover around the 12 - 12.5 stone mark that I was a few years ago.  I still had a bit of a belly but it wasn't really noticeable, but I can't stand the hyper-toned, ripped look that the magazines love.  Pale skin and a hairy stomach is fine with me 

This time I'll be taking before and after photos though... last time I lost loads of weight I didn't realise how good I looked, until I put it all back on

(in reply to ilovebeerme)
Post #: 271
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 28/1/2011 1:43:34 AM   
BigKovacs

I binned my job as a Graphic Designer and an now retraining as a tree surgeon at 31. I love it, one of the best moves I've ever made but... It's not easy. I've lost a lot of weight and my strength has generally increased but from a decade at a desk I have practically zero core muscle which has given me a weak back but I'm building it gradually.

If anything my diet has got worse as I eat so much now so I should really watch that for my arteries sake.

But damn, I'll miss those biscuits.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 272
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 28/1/2011 8:38:23 PM   
Ell

I will be trying to lose weight this year.

I am heavier than I have ever been, and it's not because muscle weighs more than fat or that I'm a growing child. It's because a pretty frustrating knee injury that I've not been able to shake off for a very long time stopped me from playing football. The injury however, is no excuse for the crap that I have been filling my face with of late.

All in all, I require a lifestyle change. Something radical. I'm not saying I will become a spartan overnight as I appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere. My intake, my exercise, what I do with my spare time and so on will be refreshed.

I also hope that in doing all this - as well as losing weight - it will help me fully recover from the anxiety issues (today I applied for an interruption of study from uni as a result of said anxiety) that I have suffered from over the last few years. That sense of achievement you get from reaching your goal, the buzz you feel when you actually do what you set out to. As I touched on previously, we all have to start somewhere, and I feel that by posting my plans on here and having the ability to share my experiences along the way as well as receive feedback will give me a little more determination that I most definitely need.

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 273
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 28/1/2011 8:52:31 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

I binned my job as a Graphic Designer and an now retraining as a tree surgeon at 31. I love it, one of the best moves I've ever made but... It's not easy. I've lost a lot of weight and my strength has generally increased but from a decade at a desk I have practically zero core muscle which has given me a weak back but I'm building it gradually.

If anything my diet has got worse as I eat so much now so I should really watch that for my arteries sake.

But damn, I'll miss those biscuits.

Have you tried some plilates for the cores strength. I do it for my back which I damaged a while ago and whilst it isn't going to boost the cardio or bulk you up it is damn good exercise and toning (even if I don't necessarily feel macho doing it).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 274
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 1/2/2011 11:03:02 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

Have you tried some plilates for the cores strength. I do it for my back which I damaged a while ago and whilst it isn't going to boost the cardio or bulk you up it is damn good exercise and toning (even if I don't necessarily feel macho doing it).

Sounds good, I'm always up for stuff that can help that kind of thing!

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 275
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 1/2/2011 11:04:44 AM   
BigKovacs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ell

I will be trying to lose weight this year.

I am heavier than I have ever been, and it's not because muscle weighs more than fat or that I'm a growing child. It's because a pretty frustrating knee injury that I've not been able to shake off for a very long time stopped me from playing football. The injury however, is no excuse for the crap that I have been filling my face with of late.

All in all, I require a lifestyle change. Something radical. I'm not saying I will become a spartan overnight as I appreciate that everyone has to start somewhere. My intake, my exercise, what I do with my spare time and so on will be refreshed.

I also hope that in doing all this - as well as losing weight - it will help me fully recover from the anxiety issues (today I applied for an interruption of study from uni as a result of said anxiety) that I have suffered from over the last few years. That sense of achievement you get from reaching your goal, the buzz you feel when you actually do what you set out to. As I touched on previously, we all have to start somewhere, and I feel that by posting my plans on here and having the ability to share my experiences along the way as well as receive feedback will give me a little more determination that I most definitely need.

Do it mate, excercise can do wonders for anxiety. Let us know how you get on.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 276
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 1/2/2011 8:39:32 PM   
sanchia

quote:

quote:

Sounds good, I'm always up for stuff that can help that kind of thing!

I am the closest I have ever come to a six pack thanks to it. I would say if you can find somewhere which uses equipment such as a Pilates Reformer rather than just mat work it probably will be better (in my experience).

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 277
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 16/2/2011 6:29:39 PM   
Scruffybobby

I've been hitting the gym a fair bit in the last 3 weeks, partly in order to try and de-stress (I have been letting things get on top of me a bit) and partly just to get in better shape. I've managed to lose a stone in three weeks - mostly just through the exercise, I haven't really altered my diet that much - and I'm feeling better for it. Still got to drop a couple of stone to get to my "ideal" weight but I reckon I'll get there no problem if I keep it up.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 278
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 22/2/2011 9:32:38 PM   
Scruffybobby

So it turns out that the scales in the main gym are about 7lbs out so I've not actually lost as much as I thought. Arses!

Still gives me something to work towards I suppose.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 279
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 22/2/2011 10:25:09 PM   
Sway

I'm a total pie at the moment.  My problem is that I have no determination.  It's all very well finding the motivation to get myself to my first gym session or do my first run, but I very quickly get bored and lapse back into my lazy arse ways again.  So then it becomes a vicious circle because I then don't think there's any point in even becoming motivated when I know I won't stick to it.

Fail.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 280
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 6/3/2011 9:42:43 AM   
sanchia

I am trying the Charles Bronsan exercise routine (the nutter Charles Bronson rather than the actor). I managed about 1100 pressups yesterday spread throughout the day, not quite up to the 2500 required but getting there. That said I ache like a good 'un today.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 281
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 8/3/2011 9:12:36 PM   
Scruffybobby

Not long back from the gym. Was quite chuffed to see that I'm second on the leaderboard for calories burned in February. If I stay on target I should beat that total by a about 50% this month. Still the guy in first plce managed to do over twice what I did so still some catching up to be done.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 282
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 9/3/2011 4:59:04 AM   
JoeyPottr

Portion control, eat more times a day, just eat less if that makes sense. Cardio is good but if you don't weight train a little you won't see that much of a difference. After just six weeks of weight training you body starts to burn fat even when you're not exercising. Kettlebells are great too, they're like a weight, but do so much more. Also if you take up martial arts, there's another beneficial whole body workout. Good luck to all who wish to lost weight, the best thing I started to do to lose weight though is simply to just walk everyday, then work up to jogging, running, and then the weight training.

wandering through the tall grass of life

Post #: 283
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 28/3/2011 1:09:35 PM   
BigKovacs

quote:

I am trying the Charles Bronsan exercise routine (the nutter Charles Bronson rather than the actor). I managed about 1100 pressups yesterday spread throughout the day, not quite up to the 2500 required but getting there. That said I ache like a good 'un today.

Thats hardcore, What sort of sets at they broken into?

I'm in the best shape I've been in for years. I'm cycling 6 miles to woaversvery day, my jobs very physical, I do Judo three times
a week and climb once or twice.

The only problem is that my diet really needs to be sorted out and even minor injuries at a bitch. Still it's worth it.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 284
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 28/3/2011 1:16:35 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

I'm cycling 6 miles to woaversvery day,

Where's that then?  Not heard of it

I decided to give up crisps and chocolate for Lent and have so far lost half a stone   That's coupled with doing more running and gym classes but result!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 285
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 28/3/2011 2:29:18 PM   
BigKovacs

I'm not sure how 'to work everyday' ended up like that!

Giving up chocolate and crisps must be hard, I can't drop them, I keep trying and keep failing. Nice work!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 286
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 16/6/2011 10:08:58 PM   
ChickMagnet

Thread Bump!!

There's going to be a big contest at work next month where we all put in a fiver and whoever loses the most weight in that month takes the pot. Now I really want to take the words of some colleagues who've said I'll fail and ram them straight down their throats.

So anyone got any cool tips? I'm currently weighing in at about 16st, and will be sorting my diet out, but any other advice would be grateful, and believe me when I win I WON'T be graceful

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 287
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 16/6/2011 11:11:31 PM   
Ref

Weight Watchers, people - it truly works. I lost 4 stone in 1 1/2 years. And I'd seriously recommend that you buy the books, because the recipes are delicious (apart from the tiramisu one - just save your points for that yumminess).

Viewers of a nervous disposition may be interested to know that your television is off and I am speaking to you from inside your head...

Hugh Dennis, Mock the Week

Icon created by the talented JaD

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 288
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/6/2011 11:08:52 AM   
Snake-Eyes

No offence meant to anybody who is trying to lose weight - but I need to GAIN weight. Due to a certain recent heart-break, Snake-Eyes hasn't been eating very well! Appetite takes a backseat when your heart has been ripped outta yer chest and then sledge-hammered to a bloody pulp.

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

(in reply to Ref)
Post #: 289
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/6/2011 11:24:40 AM   
ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

No offence meant to anybody who is trying to lose weight - but I need to GAIN weight. Due to a certain recent heart-break, Snake-Eyes hasn't been eating very well! Appetite takes a backseat when your heart has been ripped outta yer chest and then sledge-hammered to a bloody pulp.

McDonalds my good man, McDonalds, that'll do it.

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 290
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 19/6/2011 12:23:55 PM   
Snake-Eyes

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snake-Eyes

McDonalds my good man, McDonalds, that'll do it.

You must be some kind of mind reader. I was just thinking that. I'll ask 'em to 'Supersize Me!'

"When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk."

http://www.expendablespremiere.com/index.html

Post #: 291
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/6/2011 1:29:28 PM   
great_badir

No offence taken Snake-Eyes - it is, after all, generally accepted that being overweight is preferable to being significantly underweight. Though that is a bit like saying piss is better than shit.

NO to the McDonalds. I say that on purely personal feelings cos I can't stand the golden arches - BK for me, out of the two.

Anyway, depends what you wanna do - if you just want to pile on the weight and aren't too concerned with possible consequences, then go for your life (or, heh, death). If, however, you want to do it healthily, just whack up the carbs a bit - more bread, pasta, rice etc - and up the size of your portions (if you're eating relatively healthily).

And remember - it's harder to lose it than it is to put it on, so keep an eye on it. Unless you want to turn into a beefcake (BEEFCAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!). In which case get in some Weightgain 4000.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Snake-Eyes)
Post #: 292
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 18/7/2011 7:52:34 PM   
sanchia

So I have one of those kettlebells I mentioned earlier in the thread and I can thoroughly recommend them. Along with a Dvd by Steve Cotter, whom apparently is a bit of a guru with regards to these things, it is great exercise. A 20 to 30 minute routine is reaping benefits and you can do a full exercise routine in the space it takes to lay down and stand up (just make certain you have a decently high ceiling). They are remarkably versatile.

< Message edited by sanchia -- 18/7/2011 7:58:09 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 293
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/7/2011 2:57:00 PM   
ChickMagnet

Well after an amazing start my weight-loss seems to have come to a grinding halt. I weighed in on the last day of June at 270 pounds which was about 30 higher than I expected, week 1 I lost 9lbs, week 2, I fell ill and lost nothing, then this week I don't feel like I've lost owt 

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 294
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/7/2011 6:40:18 PM   
sanchia

It's a marathon not a sprint.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 295
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/7/2011 8:01:46 PM   
Harley Quinn

I have lost a load of weight not sure how much but have dropped 2-3 (From a 16 down to a 12/10) dress sizes and can get into pre-pregnancy clothes. Mainly through stress, by trying to upping my veg/fruit intake and because MR HQ is trying to lose weight by thinking a lot more about what I cook and before we order a take away or grabbing a burger while we are out.

I know pilates is good for core strength and as an exercise is it also good as relaxation of the mind thing, like yoga is?

< Message edited by Harley Quinn -- 20/7/2011 8:03:11 PM >

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 296
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/7/2011 8:24:35 PM   
sanchia

In my experience not so much so (although I have never done yoga so cannot really say). It is quite intense in some respects and some of the exercises are quite difficult. There have been a good few days since I started doing it when wake up the next day with the muscles in my stomach telling me I exercised them the day before.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 297
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/7/2011 9:06:15 PM   
Harley Quinn

quote:

In my experience not so much so (although I have never done yoga so cannot really say). It is quite intense in some respects and some of the exercises are quite difficult. There have been a good few days since I started doing it when wake up the next day with the muscles in my stomach telling me I exercised them the day before.

Sounds right up my street a pregnancy and a few surgery's in that area has left my muscle tone rather rubbish.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 298
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/7/2011 9:08:11 PM   
Sway

I just weighed myself for the first time in ages.   I've thought for a long time I was around the 11/12 stone mark, but it's very few and far between I weigh myself as I go by clothes size instead.  However I decided to weigh myself this evening as due to my current illness and lack of appetite I've lost a bit of weight.  The scales said I was 14 stone....   

I'm either in more denial than I thought I was, or the scales are fucked.   How I wish it was the latter.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 299
RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? - 20/7/2011 9:09:38 PM   
vad3r

Any tips for people trying to gain weight on a budget?

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> RE: Who Else Is Trying To Lose Weight This New Year? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI