Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Pacific

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pacific Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 12:15:45 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Guarnere is in the new season of 24!? Awesome! Well, I guess we all know what Damien Lewis and Scott Grimes got up to post-BoB.  And Ross McCall recently split with Jennifer Love Hewitt which is certainly a tough break for him! He's apparently the cousin of somebody I used to work with, but I'm skeptical. 

Cobb and Talbot were in The Dark Knight
Muck Penkala was in those Hewlett Packard ads and Into The West (as was Spiers!)
Michael 'Christenson' Fassbender has hit it big with roles in 300, Hunger and Eden Lake
Bull Randallmen has been in every US TV series known to man
Buck Compton is now M.Bison in the new Street Fighter film!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 121
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 12:19:16 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

quote:

Guarnere is in the new season of 24!? Awesome! Well, I guess we all know what Damien Lewis and Scott Grimes got up to post-BoB.  And Ross McCall recently split with Jennifer Love Hewitt which is certainly a tough break for him! He's apparently the cousin of somebody I used to work with, but I'm skeptical. 

Muck Penkala was in those Hewlett Packard ads and Into The West (as was Spiers!)
Michael 'Christenson' Fassbender has hit it big with roles in 300, Hunger and Eden Lake

Oh yeah I forgot about Cobb and Talbot, although I did spot them straight away when I saw The Dark Knight.   Buck Compton was also in Flags of our Fathers don't forget and Minority Report.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 122
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 12:36:40 PM   
Scabby

Don't forget that a young James McAvoy and Marc Warren also appeared and have done well for themselves.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 123
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 12:37:25 PM   
Dave B

quote:

Oh. Darn.

I might give it a look anyway at some point. There needs to be a good WWI film made - All Quiet On The Western Front was a long time ago and all recent WWI films have been found wanting - The Trench for example, although I heard Joyeux Noel was very good.

Aren't you forgettting Gallipoli? Brilliant film with a sucker punch of an ending.

Hey, what's with the flying jerks?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 124
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 12:39:21 PM   
Timon

You're right, I am forgetting Gallipoli. For shame. Ok, let me re-phrase, we need a good WESTERN FRONT WWI film

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 125
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 12:45:53 PM   
Dave B

I think the problem is that World War I was pretty much stalemate for most of the time and I guess writers find it easier to get drama out of World War II. However I do agree that we need a really good WWI film. Gallipoli worked because the war was just a backdrop to the main story about two friends.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 126
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 12:47:41 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

We should knock up a list: Easy Company: Where Are They Now? Actually, I'm sure I or someone did that once...Guarnee is in the new season of 24!

Anyway, I digress....The Pacific looks great. A lovely little teaser...but 'the battle to save Australia' part confused me. I thought it encompassed most of the Pacific campaign. Either way, can't wait.

It was a preview on Austrilian tv so I would guess it is being sold down there from that perspective.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 127
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 1:06:18 PM   
Scabby

...And with the "Filmed in Australia" text that I found a bit odd.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 128
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 2:15:26 PM   
richCie

i thought that was pretty rubbish actually. alot less excited now. perhaps it was just the quality but i entirely failed to get into that...

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 129
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 2:19:10 PM   
Scabby

What did you expect?

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 130
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 4:27:09 PM   
richCie

i dunno...obviously i love Band of brothers, but that teaser just didnt engage. and it had trailer man in it which always pisses me off no end.

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 131
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 9:13:37 PM   
Scabby

Just watching Crossroads episode of Band of Brothers (got the series on Blu-ray for Christmas and haven't watched the series since original airing) and noticed the fuckwit Jimmy Fallon in a small part towards the end! I nearlly burnt my box set out of sheer disgust!

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 132
RE: The Pacific - 16/1/2009 9:41:51 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh yeah I forgot about Cobb and Talbot, although I did spot them straight away when I saw The Dark Knight.   Buck Compton was also in Flags of our Fathers don't forget and Minority Report.

Buck Compton cropped up in something I watched the other day aswell but can't remember for the life of me what it was. He was playing an amputated Lindsay Lohans father. Simon Pegg has also moved on to numerous things!

Love that little sneek peak, feels like I've been waiting for this forever!

< Message edited by Your Funny Uncle -- 16/1/2009 9:45:53 PM >

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 133
RE: The Pacific - 20/1/2009 10:23:03 AM   
Timon

Scott 'George Luz' Grimes was in Sin City and Transformers.

Rick 'Harry Welsh' Warden has been in loads of stuff from Doomsday to Rome and TV stuff like Bonekickers and Primeval.

That teaser has also given me the desire to watch Flags of our Fathers/Letters from Iwo Jima... which I really enjoyed.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 134
RE: The Pacific - 20/1/2009 12:22:55 PM   
Zaphod121

Isn't Ross McCall in the Crash tv series now? And didn't one of the BoB guys go on to be in Gossip Girl?

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 135
RE: The Pacific - 23/1/2009 4:32:34 PM   
Timon

Cool little page about the actors in boot camp and getting drilled by the legendary Dale Dye.

http://pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific/ThePacific-Set-00.html

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 136
RE: The Pacific - 2/3/2009 4:52:42 PM   
thatlittlemonkey

This is being broadcast this year, isn't it?  Any ideas when?  I need to get my BoB boxset back off my dad in preparation!

I'm going to need a SWAT Team ready to mobilise, street-level maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammy Dodgers and a fez.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 137
RE: The Pacific - 2/3/2009 4:58:38 PM   
Zaphod121

No, I think it's airing next year, so no hurry.

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to thatlittlemonkey)
Post #: 138
RE: The Pacific - 6/3/2009 10:37:28 PM   
vader100

Watching 24 Season 7, isn't that Bill Guarnere as one of the President's advisors? Also isn't it strange how we refer to them by their BOB's names whatever else they do?

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 139
RE: The Pacific - 6/3/2009 11:06:48 PM   
dh_19

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

Watching 24 Season 7, isn't that Bill Guarnere as one of the President's advisors? Also isn't it strange how we refer to them by their BOB's names whatever else they do?

That's true. I was watching 24 with a friend and when he appeared on screen i said 'Gonorrhea'. He looked at me blankly - I didn't explain.

"I took a risk" - Larry David

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 140
RE: The Pacific - 23/3/2009 10:54:30 AM   
Timon

Apparantly Blake Neely will be co-writing the music for the series along with Hans Zimmer and Geoff Zanelli.

Also, the pacficfans.com forums recently posted some great pictures from the set. The first 3 are high-res shots and then there are 2 sets of some smaller photos on flickr. Check them out here:

http://imagestore.ugbox.net/aview/landing_36d48c45efa3ebeb53976985

http://imagestore.ugbox.net/aview/coconutgro_ebee4eacdad8e1141cc

http://imagestore.ugbox.net/aview/fight_2ca9dfa3437ec6598cff31beae

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mibz/sets/72157604272799149/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mibz/sets/72157604298154089/

(in reply to dh_19)
Post #: 141
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 22/4/2009 9:56:43 AM   
Timon

A series that I have been trying to keep my ear to the ground on is Steven Spielberg and Tom Hank’s spin-off of Band of Brothers called The Pacific. This HBO mini-series promises to be just as good as the Band of Brothers series but take place in a different setting. The title probably gives it a way but this series will show the war going on in the Pacific between the US and the Japanese.
I haven’t heard much on the show except that they started film back in 2007 and finished in May of 2008. I also had heard thay it was supposed to come out this year but apparently it is being planned to come out next year. According to THR’s Live Feed,

“Tom Hanks/Steven Spielberg’s “The Pacific” unfortunately will not be out until next year. When you mention their previous HBO war miniseries, the magnificent “Band of Brothers,” and then mention “The Pacific” to those who work at HBO, you get this pensive and hesitant expression. It’s not that they don’t think “The Pacific” is as good (at least one HBO person described the rough cuts as amazing), it’s just the Pacific Theatre was a very different front, with brutal atrocities being committed on both sides (see James Bradley’s excellent and disturbing book “Flyboys,” which makes the author’s better-known “Flags of Our Fathers” seem like a sixth grader’s essay on WWII). “Brothers” also benefited from a wider range of dramatic settings. In other words, HBO senses “The Pacific” may be a tougher sell than the original regardless of its quality. On the upside, one episode is supposedly one extensive battle from start to finish, a small-screen attempt at taking on the opening of “Saving Private Ryan.”

I can definitely see how some are apprehensive over some things about the series being a tougher sell but in my opinion Band of Brothers was so well done and successful, even the resyndication of the series on the History Channel does well. I got the Blu-ray version of the series for Christmas this past year and it simply one of the best series ever on TV. I think that alone makes The Pacific an easy sell because all the Band of Borthers fans were certainly watch the show to see a new series of stories. Also FYI the kid that played Timmy in Jurassic Park, Joe Mazzello is one the main characters, I think it is nice he is getting work.

The whole first episode will be a battle? Hmmm. While that sounds awesome, it doesn't really give us time to meet or connect with the characters. Interesting how HBO is worried about how it might be a tougher sell than Band of Brothers.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 142
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 22/4/2009 10:14:43 AM   
Alistair81

Not to be pedantic, but the bit you've hilighted says one episode is an extensive battle, not the first episode will be.  I'm looking forward to this.  If its anything like Band of Brothers it will be worth a watch though I'll be amazed if they beat it for quality.  I suspect it will be a harder sell because certainly as far as most people I know are concerned WW2 was fought against the Germans first and the Japanese second.  I suppose it is because the Nazi's were right on our door step while the Japanese offensive was half the world away so it is easier to forget about the Pacific front.

"The kid's like... he's like a... have you ever seen a drunk baby? "

"Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like... fuckin'... Shaft. "

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 143
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 23/4/2009 7:51:37 AM   
Castor Troy

Tom Hanks says March in Empire!

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Alistair81)
Post #: 144
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 23/4/2009 4:50:44 PM   
Timon

Sigh. That's ages away.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 145
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 24/4/2009 1:03:45 PM   
nclowe

I am so excited about this series. I dont know what HBO is so worried about. Sure, the battle stuff in BoB was brilliant, but for me it was the bonds between the guys that made it so gripping. As long as they've got the characterisations down so we actually give a crap about the guys they shouldn't have much to worry about. I really hope they release it the same time in the USA and UK...dont want to be having to wait an extra 6 months till BBC2 gets round to buying it.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 146
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 25/4/2009 7:07:47 PM   
Dave B

That's a good point. Band of Brothers was a joint BBC/HBO production and therefore we got it at the same time. Don't think that will happen for this.

(in reply to nclowe)
Post #: 147
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 25/4/2009 7:12:34 PM   
Timon

That's annoying because the last thing I want is to have to download something of this epicness....

Also, I hope it's not picked up by a channel that does breaks.... that would be fucking annoying, plus they would be cut to fit them within a certain time slot. Even certain BoB episodes were cut on the Beeb to make them fit within an hour.

(in reply to Dave B)
Post #: 148
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 27/4/2009 10:24:47 AM   
nclowe

Does anyone have another link to the trailer footage? The one previously posted has been taken off youtube by HBO. >:(

God forbid people actually watch advertisements for the show. That could...you know...make people actually want to watch it or something!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 149
RE: The Pacific: Coming 2010 - 8/5/2009 12:06:16 PM   
Sway

Anybody else managed to read Helmet for my Pillow and With the Old Breed yet?  I want to read them soon, but it looks like it's going to be an amazon job since I know for a fact my workplace has neither in and we have a huge history section.

Timon, I know you've read at least one of them, right?

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to nclowe)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pacific Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI