Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 23/8/2007 10:15:59 AM   
Timon

Stop your nay-saying Taffy! The 'Berg will get it done.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 61
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 23/10/2007 4:52:20 PM   
JagLover

First time i've heard about this. I am a big band of Brothers fan so I am looking forward to it.

As mentioned above the war in the Pacific was a very different war to that in Europe, so this may have a very different feel to Band of Brothers.

Coincidently I have just finished reading the Battle for Japan by Max Hastings.

Life for a Marine in the pacific theatre was months confined to stiflingly hot troop ships or barren islands, then intense struggles for a few square miles of rock in the open ocean against an enemy that just would not quit.  

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 62
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 25/10/2007 10:41:49 AM   
Timon

There is an script review of the first episode doing the rounds online. Minor spoilers.

It is very good. And brutal.

Underscored by Churchill's speech to Congress after Pearl Harbour, and the separation of two friends, Leckie and Sledge (who make up two of the trio of marines focussed on in the series), we're pitched right into the start of the battle of Guadalcanal (a fleet of 30 big boats and 200 beach landers: the budget's here folks!), an overwhelming sense of dread pervading the storming of the beach: except, the Japs aren't actually there. From there they enter the jungle, and we're focussing on officer-baiting Leckie, as he and his unit realise they're so not ready for jungle warfare. Seriously, it reads so tense you think there's a Japanese soldier behind every tree. When a native is revealed, your heart is in your mouth until you realise it's friend, no foe, part of a ragtag native scout force led by a stranded Scottish officer who just wants some pipe tobacco.

The tension builds up to a ferocious jungle battle (the descriptions of the Japanese blue tracers and the US red tracers criss-crossing a creek is brilliant). When reinforcements arrive, Basilone, the third main character arrives as Leckie is going back for rest and treatment. Finally we go back to the US, where the sickly Sledge is starting his training.

I said it's brutal: there are two bits that I can't se getting to the screen intact: a decapitated Marine tied to a tree, his head placed in his lap, his severed genitals stuffed in his mouth, and after the battle a Japanese soldier holding his guts in. As medics arrive he removes a hand from his entrails to reveal a grenade, as he blows them all up. Brutal indeed.

It's got all the elements of Band Of Brothers except one: the camaraderie of a single unit. BoB followed many characters, but they were always rooted in the 101st - this seems to follow seperate stories, so may not have that coherence. We'll see. On balance, this is looking damn good.

< Message edited by Timon -- 25/10/2007 1:42:32 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to JagLover)
Post #: 63
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 25/10/2007 1:36:42 PM   
Taffy

Its a shame with the high production values we will never get to see quality programming like this based on British soldiers. Imagine a 6 ep show of the retreat to Dunkurk in 1940 or a show leading upto and effects of the Somme battle in 1916. That would be something.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 64
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 11/12/2007 9:07:09 PM   
Timon

A GIANT World War II battleship is under construction at the Docklands film studios.
The ship, shown in this exclusive Sunday Herald Sun aerial photograph, will be used in the miniseries The Pacific, which is being filmed in Victoria.

The Pacific is a $200 million 10-part TV drama based on the intertwined stories of three US marines in the Pacific theatre during World War II.

As this photograph shows, no expense is being spared to recreate authentic props.

Movie star Tom Hanks and famed director Steven Spielberg are among the project's executive producers. Neither has visited the set, but sources say they are keeping a close eye on the progress of the shoot.

The miniseries is a co-production involving Channel 7, US network HBO, Spielberg's DreamWorks and Hanks's Playtone production houses. It is the sequel to the war drama Band of Brothers.

(in reply to Taffy)
Post #: 65
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 5/1/2008 11:59:07 AM   
BooRadley

I'm looking forward to this one except for the few Aussie tv actors turning up like Gary Sweet. Talentless shite and tosser. Couldn't do an American accent to save his life.

Spooky, but misunderstood...

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 66
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 17/1/2008 2:07:14 PM   
Response

So Val Lauren got replaced

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 67
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 22/1/2008 12:41:02 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Theres a really great website on this now: Check it out

http://www.pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific.html

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Response)
Post #: 68
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 22/1/2008 3:02:06 AM   
Mojo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Movie star Tom Hanks and famed director Steven Spielberg are among the project's executive producers. Neither has visited the set, but sources say they are keeping a close eye on the progress of the shoot.

I'm getting the feeling they're not as involved as much this time round which is a bit disappointing.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 69
RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! - 22/1/2008 10:52:50 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

quote:

I'm getting the feeling they're not as involved as much this time round which is a bit disappointing.

I would guess once Hanks wraps up publicising obligations for Charlie Wilsons War he will be back on set. He was also a producer on John Adams which is out next month and was on set for that.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 70
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 8/2/2008 1:43:46 PM   
Timon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhfNW5peWPI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SAuK5huEUo&feature=related

Includes interviews with the actors and Capt Dye!

< Message edited by Timon -- 8/2/2008 1:44:23 PM >

(in reply to theram05)
Post #: 71
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 8/2/2008 5:57:19 PM   
Wedge

quote:

Capt Dye!

Excellent stuff!  God that man does everything remotely  military related!

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!"
"Dance for me Colin! Daaance for me!!"
"Everybody's dead Dave"

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs314.snc4/41022_10150255199830294_790880293_14349909_1904630_n.jpg

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 72
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 13/2/2008 12:30:41 PM   
Timon

Indeed. You can tell he loves it from his blogs alone - http://www.warriorsinc.com/cfblog/

Semper fi indeed.

(in reply to Wedge)
Post #: 73
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 13/2/2008 3:15:23 PM   
Wossy

Great news, I can't wait for this

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 74
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 27/2/2008 4:25:08 PM   
Timon

(in reply to Wossy)
Post #: 75
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 5/3/2008 12:07:11 PM   
Timon

Here's a great site with images and news on the series.

http://www.pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific.html

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 76
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 7/3/2008 1:08:40 PM   
richCie

ahh finally!!! only just heard about this, very excited, BoB was absolutely excellent. the set pics look pretty awesome aswell :).
How long till it'll get shown in Britain tho?
guess i'll have to watch it all on the net...

A Blog!! http://richcie.wordpress.com//

#5 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 77
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 6/11/2008 7:09:37 PM   
Timon

I imagine the BBC won't get this next year as Band of Brothers was an HBO/BBC production due to the fact it was filmed in Herefordshire. This time though, it's all in Australia. Does that mean, the likes of Sky and/or Virgin will get it meaning we'll have ad breaks?!

I know the BBC trimmed certain episodes to make it an hour long but at least I didn't know that till I got the DVD set.

(in reply to richCie)
Post #: 78
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 6/11/2008 7:17:59 PM   
James2183

Don't Sky Movies run the new Clone Wars cartoon? Perhaps if they pick it up they can stick it on their movie channel without ad breaks? 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 79
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 6/11/2008 7:25:26 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Don't Sky Movies run the new Clone Wars cartoon? Perhaps if they pick it up they can stick it on their movie channel without ad breaks? 

Please let this not happen. I hope the BBC get this and it is shown as part of the new to Freeview BBC HD channel. What a way to launch it.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 80
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 6/11/2008 7:41:14 PM   
James2183

Would you want it potentially edited though like Timon has said above happened with BoB? 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 81
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 6/11/2008 7:51:51 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

Would you want it potentially edited though like Timon has said above happened with BoB? 

I don't think there will be the same risk with this happening anymore. Rome, another HBO show, aired unedited and some episodes were over an hour long.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 82
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 7/11/2008 5:46:50 PM   
Timon

Rome wasn't unedited. The first two were heavily edited for 'too many Senate scenes'. There was a lot of controversy over it at the time as Michael Apted was royally pissed but the BBC thought the public knew enough about Roman history to warrant cutting them.

Hence why the DVD was released as UNCUT!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 83
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 7/11/2008 6:51:22 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Rome wasn't unedited. The first two were heavily edited for 'too many Senate scenes'. There was a lot of controversy over it at the time as Michael Apted was royally pissed but the BBC thought the public knew enough about Roman history to warrant cutting them.

Hence why the DVD was released as UNCUT!

I think that was as much to do with fitting the season into a ten week frame. Season 2 which had some episodes go over 70mins was left alone and I think the digital age we are now in the BBC don't feel the same pressure they once did  - I am confident that they would show it fully. Also showing it on Sky Movies would piss off nearly everyone who doesn't have the channel.

I would like it on BBC 2 but suspect Channel 4 might pick it up - they broadcast John Adams a few weeks back.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 84
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 9/11/2008 1:08:44 PM   
Timon

Did they?! When? What time? I never saw any publicity whatsoever for John Adams.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 85
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 9/11/2008 1:20:48 PM   
Zaphod121

God damn it! I would have loved to see that.

< Message edited by Zaphod121 -- 9/11/2008 1:21:15 PM >

"Everyone wins. Except Abed. But, you know, not everyone can win"

My Brothers Web-Series

My YouTube Channel

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 86
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 9/11/2008 1:40:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

It was broadcast a month or so ago on More 4. The DVD is out in a couple of months.

It is very very good.

(in reply to Zaphod121)
Post #: 87
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 9/11/2008 6:13:56 PM   
Timon

Yeah I know, I saw it courtesy of my American cousin... I just didn't see any advertising for it.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 88
RE: The Pacific War - Band Of Brothers In The Pacific - 9/11/2008 6:31:30 PM   
Castor Troy

Do we have any idea of when it's being aired yet?

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 89
RE: The Pacific - 9/11/2008 6:35:16 PM   
Timon

Pacificfans.com are merely saying 'early 2009'. If that's the case, I'd have thought we might have seen some promotional material for it by now - posters etc.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: The Pacific: Leads Cast! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI